• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 138: Munoz vs. Leben

INDYjon22

Nome is where your heart is
2ib15dl.jpg
Main Card
  • Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs. Mark Munoz
  • Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs. Renan "Barao"
  • Welterweight Bout: Thiago Alves vs. Papy Abedi
  • Lightweight Bout: Terry Etim vs. Eddie Faaloloto
  • Light Heavyweight Bout: Cyrille Diabate vs. Anthony Perosh
Preliminary Card (Facebook)
  • Featherweight Bout: Michihiro Omigawa vs. Jason Young
  • Heavyweight Bout: Rob Broughton vs. Philip De Fries
  • Welterweight Bout: Che Mills vs. Chris Cope
  • Welterweight Bout: John Maguire vs. Justin Edwards
  • Bantamweight Bout: Vaughan Lee vs. Chris Cariaso

Chris Leben vs. Mark Munoz finally marks the first 5 round, non-title fight in UFC history and it should be a good one. Both guys are hard hitters and solid wrestlers. Munoz is known for his very good ground n' pound, but that may not be as effective since Leben has shown some skills off of his back, tapping Akiyama out is no easy task. However, I think most of this fight will take place on the feet and should be a war. We already know that when Chris Leben is involved in a fight it will be a fun fight to watch. Can't wait for this one.

And that is where my interest in this show ends. The rest of the fights are okay but aren't anything special. When Brad Pickett vs. Renan Barao is being billed as the co-main event, well I think the card isn't that great. Both guys are alright, but shouldn't be on a main card anytime soon. I couldn't care less who wins.

Thiago Alves faces a newcomer named Papy Abedi. Abedi is supposed to be a fairly big prospect. He has a good chance of winning this fight because Alves has been struggling for a while now and it will be interesting to see where his confidence is going into this fight. If Alves is confident, he is deadly on the feet, if he isn't, then he will likely get beat. Alves is on his last legs as it is, so he really needs a win here.

Terry Etim fights someone I do not know at all. Etim was on a hot streak not to long ago but he lost in April. He will definitely be looking to get back on the winning track, and I think that will happen.

Cyrille Diabate vs. Anthony Perosh should be a decent stand up war. Neither guy is very good from anywhere else though. Diabate definitely has the advantage on the feet and I believe he will pick Perosh apart, with some ease even.

The undercard has nothing that interests me, other then Omigawa fighting. Omigawa has been involved in two very controversial fights so far in his UFC return. He needs this win and hopefully he can get it. I also hope that the judges don't screw him over like they have been. It would be a shame to see him get cut again, especially with the Japan return coming soon.

Overall not a very exciting card, but the main event may make it worth watching. Leben and Munoz are no joke and the winner will likely be thrust into title contention, I see a contenders fight in the winners future.

Vaughan Lee vs. Chris Cariaso
I won't pretend that I've ever heard of Vaughan Lee but I looked over his record and some of his fights and if he were fighting another nobody I'd give him a chance, but facing Chris Cariaso I don't see him being successful in his octagon debut. Cariaso is a tough former Strikeforce and WEC fighter who most recently lost a spilt decision to Michael McDonald in a great war. His only losses are to tough competition and I don't see him having too much trouble with Lee and his tendencies to get caught in submissions, plus he's a Bay Area boy so I have to back him.
Cariaso by Submission(Rear Naked Choke)

John Maguire vs. Justin Edwards
Another man in his Debut, John Maguire is cocky little brit coming in on a 5 fight win streak as the UCMMA welterweight champion, but I don't see him being too happy for long when he comes in against TUF vet Justin Edwards. Maguire has managed to end alot of his fights by submission and he has a nice record of 16-3 but I don't think he's going to be able to handle the big lights of the UFC and he'll choke. Edwards came off the Ultimate Fighter to lose a close split decision to Clay Harviston on the finale, but after picked up a win at Fight Night:Ellenburger vs Sheilds against Jorge Lopez. Edwards is a solid welter and he's very well rounded, I see Maguire not being able to handle the grandest stage in MMA and Edwards capitolizing with a submission or TKO.
Edwards by Submission(Guillotine Choke)

Che Mills vs. Chris Cope
WOOOOO! Sorry I couldnt help myself, I really like Chris Cope, his antics and his love of pro wrestling. This one looks like a great fight to me, both guys are extremely fun to watch and it's a hard one to call for me. Cope was good on The Ultimate Fighter and looked ten times better in his dominant win over Chuck Oneal on the TUF finale, and if he was facing anyone other than Che Mills I would say he has this in the bag, but Mills is one tough SOB. You probably haven't heard of this guy but he is one of the better brits in the smaller promotions right now, and now he's making his UFC debut on his home turf, that is a scary thing for Cope, hell anyone who's knocked out Marius Zaromskis twice is scary. I would love to see Cope win here but I see Mills pulling this off with either a TKO or decision, but it's gonna be a war.
Mills by Decision

Rob Broughton vs. Philip De Fries
We most recently saw Broughton lose a very slow and gassed fight against Travis Browne at UFC 135, he didn't look impressive but the fact that he hung in there with a tough guy like Browne does say something for his durability. He's a decently rounded guy with the ability to end it on the feet with his toaster sized hands or his ground game that has helped him pick up 4 wins. However he's going in there against a UFC newcomer and fellow brit who likely has the tools to put him away. Philip De Fries is probably the hottest young british heavyweight in MMA, he has exceptional submissions and I will not be surprised if he destroys Broughton with his overwhelming BJJ. He has looked awesome in his first 7 fights that he has finished all but one in the first round by submission, hopefully he can still deliver the same staggering results in the UFC, I'm hoping and betting that he can in this fight.
De Fries by Submission(D'arce Choke)

Michihiro Omigawa vs. Jason Young
Oh Omigawa, I loved this guy in Japan but just has not been able to find his groove here in the UFC. Hopefully this step down in competition will help give him a chance to pick up a win, no disrespect to Young but he is outmatched in this fight, the only reason Omigawa has had such a rough time in the UFC is his last two fights were against Chad Mendez and Darren Elkins. Young is a decent little slugger from the UK but his weak TD defense is going to get attacked my Michihiro and his Judo, and he will either take the decision or submit him.
Omigawa by Decision

Cyrille Diabate vs. Anthony Perosh
This fight will be interesting, Diabate is a somewhat dangerous striker going up against a guy who has very limited striking, but Perosh is pretty much a straight jits guy and Diabate doesn't have much in the ground area. Diabate has taken out the likes of Luiz Can and Steve Cantwell in the UFC while Persosh submitted a nobody in Tom Blackledge after losing his his return fight in the octagon against Mirko Cro Cop. Diabate has decent enough take down defense and I'm thinking that he'll avoid the ground, but I don't see him finishing Perosh, even though Perosh has horrible stand up he has a pretty good chin and he'll clinch up when he gets hurt.
Diabate by Decision

Terry Etim vs. Eddie Faaloloto
Terry Etim was once one of the hottest young prospects in the UFC’s lightweight Division, strange to think it wasn’t that long ago. But a 9 month layoff due to an injury sustained in his armbar loss to Rafael Dos Anjos has folks scratching their heads trying to remember who he is. Etim is someone to be remembered though, he has great cardio and is a legitimate threat on the ground and the feet. In his return tomorrow night he faces a tough Hawaiian in Eddie Faaloloto, a young gun who may not have the best records but he’s tough as nails and has been given tough competition so early in his career. After only two professional fights he was thrown into the WEC where he was TKO’d by Anthony Njkouani and in his UFC debut he was again TKO’d by TUF 12 finalist Michael Johnson. Unfortunatly for him it seems he’s being fed to the dogs again as he faces Etim in his 5th professional fight.
Etim by TKO

Thiago Alves vs. Papy Abedi
Before I say anything about the actual fight here I just want to say that today at the weigh ins Thiago Alves came in heavy yet again, and whether he loses or not Dana needs to force him to move to Middleweight because this shit is getting old. On the fight now, Alves may have weight problems but I love watching him fight and he does so just like his nickname, like a Pitbull. He's coming in against highly touted rookie Papy Abedi, who has amassed a record of 8 wins with no losses and all but one being finished by TKO or Guillotine. Even though he is coming in with alot of hype I don't see him taking out Alves, who needs the win after losing a tough decision to Rick Story.
Alves by Decision

Brad Pickett vs. Renan "Barao"
Pickett is a guy that I have been waiting a long time to see make his UFC debut since the fall of WEC, but his first fight is not going to be an easy one as he's coming in against a guy who is on a 26 fight win streak. Pickett is one of the guys from the WEC that I wanted to see make the transition to the UFC most, he's extremely entertaining and he's tough as nails. He finished off his time in the WEC with a decision win over Ivan Menjivar in the final fight card of the company's history. His competition is no stranger to his old home either, on top of his incredible win streak he went 2-0 in the WEC, defeating Chris Cariaso on the final card as well. Since then he has made his UFC debut defeating Cole Escovedo my unanimous decision at UFC 130. But this fight should be the biggest test in either of their careers as they meet tomorrow night. Both men are super talented and can hang on the feet and the ground, I expect an all out war by these guys but in the end I think Pickett comes out on top.
Pickett by Decision

Chris Leben vs Mark Munoz
Now this is a fight that I am very excited for, a battle for possibly the next shot at the MW title, this is a fight that is pretty much guaranteed to be a war. Anyone who knows Chris Leben knows that the man is the epitome of a slugger, he wades in and thows leather and he doesn't mind taking a few himself but the bottom line is that if you stand with him and your name is not Brian Stann or Anderson Silva he will murder you. Not only is he a major threat on the feet but he showed in his fight with Yoshihiro Akiyama that he can pull off a nice submission as well when he Triangled him at UFC 116, he's very hungry and coming off a quick KO over MMA legend Wanderlei Silva so watch out. But the man that he's facing tomorrow night will not back down from slugging and he has the wrestling pedigree to take him down and control him if he choses to do so. He is on a three fight win streak with the likes of CB Dolloway, Aaron Simpson and Demian Maiia on his hit list, and to top it off he's been training at Blackhouse to improve all aspects of his game, especially his striking and BJJ so look be ready to see the best Mark Munoz we've ever seen. I like both guys alot but I would really like to see what Munoz can do if he gets past Leben, so in my heart I'm going with him. However I feel like he might make the mistake of playing into Leben's game and get clipped, so officially I'll take Leben.
Leben by KO

Bonus Predictions

Knockout Of The Night-Chris Leben
Submission Of The Night-Philip De Fries
Fight Of The Night-Pickett vs Barao

Well what could have been an absolutely shitty night of fights turn out to be a very entertaining card with alot of impressive stuff from the brits.

Che Mills came out like a beast as I expected and ruined Cope's night with some knarley knees that scored him KO of the night,this guy is legit so keep your eye on him in the future because he can screw some folks up at 170. He had great pressure and his striking was spot on, I've had my eye on him for some time and while I'm sad it had to be Cope that he wrecked I'm still very happy and excited to see what he can do.

Terry Etim had a fantastic return from a killer 19 month lay off, taking Edward Faaloloto by surprise and sunk a Submission of the Night winning guillotine in while being lifted up for a slam. I always enjoyed Etim's fights, he is never boring and he showed tonight that he is just as dangerous on the feet and the ground. Glad that he was successful in his return and can't wait to see him get back to tearing up LW.

Renan Barao.....all I can say about this man is holy shit, the guy destroyed a very game Brad Pickett tonight with some powerful and precise striking and finishing him off with a tight rear naked choke. I love Pickett and I wanted him to win but he was wrecked in this fight, to his credit he took a lot of punishment before wilting but the point is that in this Fight Of The Night winning bout, Barao showed that he is a major threat and anyone at his weight needs to be wary.

Leben and Munoz, man that was a war but unfortunatly the fans were screwed out of what could have been a 5 round battle when Leben's corner stopped the fight because his vision was too heavily impared by a large cut above his right eye. To his credit though, when the ref said the fight would stop if he told the doctor he couldn't see he said he was good so props to Leben for being a beast, but I never doubted he would so that. Munoz may not have officially TKO/KO'd The Crippler but had the fight continued I think he would have, after a great back and forth first round Mark took control in the second and showed just how scary his Ground N Pound is. I don't think he's ready for Silva but I definitely think that this win put him right up there behind Chael and a possible fight with Brian Stann could happen, I would go for Munoz-Belfort before that but unfortunatly Vitor is set to fight Rumble already so Mark may be waiting for the outcome of the next title fight to find out what he has next. Whatever happens next will happen, but tonight he went in and executed a good gameplan by avoiding Leben's power while still throwing his and I was very impressed with him tonight, he definitely stepped up.

And a quick run through the rest of the card, way to go Maguire, Cariaso, De Fries, Omigawa and Alves(I knew Papy was too hyped). Dissapointed in Diabate and Edwards but they'll be back to kick ass soon enough. In the end I was very happy with this year's free England card, it had the potential to suck and it really delivered.

Wasn't able to watch the entire card tonight but I did manage to catch the last two; Pickett vs. Barao and Leben vs. Munoz.

First off, I just need to point out that Americans need to learn something about supporting and enjoying sports from the Europeans. Just listening to the English chants and cheers put a smile on my face, regardless of who they were rooting for (unfortunately Pickett and Leben both lost though, hahaha)

The Pickett fight started off with a bang, and I was rooting for the Brit the whole time. The man definitely knows how to take hard hits, and I was surprised how well he withstood all of Barao's submission attempts. Unfortunately the knee took his game away and Barao ended up going in for the kill. Major props to the Brazilian for fighting so well, and definitely a major threat to any future fighters in his class.

As for the Leben and Munoz fight....damn. I have major respect for Munoz, but sheer admiration for Leben. First off, the man comes out to one of the most hilarious songs given the fact he's in the UK and has a HARDCORE muggin face on. I swear the man looked like he was about to tear someone's head off, while listening to a slow sad song, and then ends up touching fists before the fight. Incredibly amusing.

The fight itself was great. I found myself cheering on Leben with the crowd, but he just couldn't get the guillotine locked in. Major respect to him for weathering all those hard bombs from Munoz, and the BLOOD. Goddamn man! GADDAMN!

I laughed when the ref said "if you say you can't see I have to stop the fight" and then Rogan goes "why would you tell a fighter that? Of course he'll say he can see"

Leben tried to push through and finish the fight but unfortunately it ended while in the corner. Incredible fights to watch and a hell of a night altogether.

Last note: Thanks to the UK for actually letting us watch this for free. I'm all for capitalism and free markets and all the usual American stuff, but those UK folk....they know what makes the fans happy, hahaha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back