• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 116 Prediction Contest!

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
This is the prediction contest for UFC 116! DO NOT post your picks in this thread. PM your picks to me whenever you are ready. I will be taking picks up until the fights start, which should be around 7:00 p.m. EST. Any picks submitted after that point will not count.

When you make your picks, you have to pick whoever you think will win, the amount of confidence points you assign to each fighter, the method of victory (strikes, sub hold or decision), and the round (or decision). Regular fights are 3 rounds. Championship fights are 5 rounds. There is ONE title fight on this card.

Here are two examples of correct predictions:

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Luiz Cane
Winner: Nogueira (4)
Method of Victory: Strikes
Round: 1

A correct prediction here would net 6 points.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Keith Jardine
Winner: Rampage (6)
Method of Victory: Decision

A correct prediction here would net 8 points. If you predict a decision, that is how you should go about predicting it.

I will be sending my picks to JMT225 so that there is no suspicion of cheating.

If you need reference for how this works, or have any questions, check out this thread: http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=112934

I will not be reminding anyone about confidence points... it's your responsibility to understand the system.

Marquis will be defending his title against both Baller and Rizza. How the title system works is that whoever scores the highest amount of points for each card gets the title shot for the next card. If either challenger loses, but still scores the most points out of everyone, then he gets another shot for our next card, which will be UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko.

Here are the fights we will be predicting. There are 8 total fights, so assign your confidence points accordingly. Use the provided link to help you pick fights.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-116-Lesnar-vs-Carwin-12765

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

George Sotiropoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Ricardo Romero vs. Seth Petruzelli
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic
Winner:
Method of Victory:
Round:

Okay, so we had 13 participants for this card and for the most part, everyone did really well. This was a very fun card, and what I found interesting is that with the uncertainty around the Brock and Carwin fight and how close it was, a lot of people went with Brock.

The battle for #1 contender was EXTREMELY close, and we potentially could have had a major logjam to decide the next champion. We also crowned a new champion, and I die a little inside.

30i8das.jpg

Edit: IndyJon also submitted picks and got 26 points.

So yeah, Baller is the new champion because Marquis just had to let his blind Lesnar hate influence his picks. He'll lose to Whistler 619 when the UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko card takes place on August 1.

Did my predictions not send to you or something? I ask because I have a sent message sitting in my messages that I was referring to all last night and because I don't see my name listed in the above names. It isn't that big of a deal to me, I just want to know if the message did or did not send to you.

Alright, so Whistler is going on vacation and won't be back until when UFC 118 rolls around. He gets his shot regardless of what the title picture is at that point... it will most likely be another triple threat for the title.

That leaves a three way tie between Dave, Buffalo Dave, and Dressler. My solution is to do a Prediction Contest for DREAM.15. Again, for all of us it will be just for fun, but for those three, it decides who gets #1 contendership for the Jones vs. Matyushenko card.

I'll get that contest up as soon as we know what's going on with Overeem. F4W says the fight is on, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate it is otherwise.

Although I'm not familiar with the DREAM.15. card, except for a couple of fighters, I'll do my best to predict a card that will be unknown to me at least. Would you be able to find a Website that would allow me to do quick over looks for the fights/fighters of the card? If not then I'll look it up myself but that would be of great help.

Thanks.

Yeah, to be 100% honest, I did a quick search on Google and there isn't too much as far as a preview for the card goes. When I post the prediction contest though (which will be as soon as we find out what Overeem's status is... I'll have it up by Tuesday night at the latest), of course you'll have the Sherdog fightfinder as a resource, which is really useful as it breaks down a fighter's win-loss tendencies as far as knocking someone out/getting KO'ed goes, and things of that nature.

I'd check out some popular message boards like Sherdog, just to gauge how they feel. The only thing is that Sherdog for the most part is populated with complete morons... but I'm sure there will be a couple of insightful posts.

Sometimes the best way to predict these is to just go with your gut. The DREAM cards always are pretty crazy and unpredictable in the first place.

Would you be able to find a Website that would allow me to do quick over looks for the fights/fighters of the card? If not then I'll look it up myself but that would be of great help.

Thanks.

Wiki, man. You can always trust Wiki. They have the full card of the fight, and all you have to do is just click the fighters names and you'll get all the info you need on them. Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream.15

Anyways, great job everyone on your picks for UFC 116. I believe this is the best full total we've had yet. This wasn't a predictable card by any means, but most finished in the upper twenties. Shows the intelligence of our MMA Section. ;)

But yeah... I would have won if it weren't for the Brendan Schaub/Chris Tuchscherer fight. For some reason, I just had no respect for Schaub, whereas everyone else gave him high numbers to win it. I didn't even know much about Chris Tuchscherer other than his record... but I figured someone with his experience would beat a TUFer like Schaub, but boy was I wrong. It cost me a shot at the title.

Also, only giving 1 point to Grove kind of hurt as well. I should have had more faith in my boy.

Let's be real, DREAM doesn't even know what their card is going to be. That organization is NOTORIOUS for last minute changes, cancellations, announcing fights that never happen, etc...

Let's be real, DREAM doesn't even know what their card is going to be. That organization is NOTORIOUS for last minute changes, cancellations, announcing fights that never happen, etc...

Well, that's why LorenzoVonMatterhorn doesn't put the prediction contest up until the week of the show. Also, in case there are any changes after you send your predictions in, you will be able to resubmit them, or LorenzoVonMatterhorn will score the card differently depending on how "big" of a change it was.

Anyway, you made some great posts today in the section... I hope you choose to participate in this. All new members are welcomed. The DREAM contest will only be for fun, so it's the perfect time for you to just try it out and find out how all the rules and scoring works and what not.

Well, that's why LorenzoVonMatterhorn doesn't put the prediction contest up until the week of the show. Also, in case there are any changes after you send your predictions in, you will be able to resubmit them, or LorenzoVonMatterhorn will score the card differently depending on how "big" of a change it was.

Anyway, you made some great posts today in the section... I hope you choose to participate in this. All new members are welcomed. The DREAM contest will only be for fun, so it's the perfect time for you to just try it out and find out how all the rules and scoring works and what not.

I will try to participate in some of the fantasy events, but I won't lie, I'm a member of an MMA fantasy site and make picks on there for both UFC and Secondary League (DREAM, Sengoku, Bellator, etc)..

Time permitting I will attempt to make some picks on this forum as well, but I won't lie, I'll probably miss enough to make me not a contender. I am a graduate student in college and most of my time goes there. I can totally offer up advice to the members of this site who aren't familiar with the smaller organizations and try to participate as often as possible, but I just love discussing MMA with people and that's the main reason I opted to take part in these forums. I've never been too successful at maintaining multiple fantasy accounts through different providers. Hey, if I do wind up doing it, awesome...though my season on my other Fantasy site has been absolutely horrible worst I've ever done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back