• Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley

Preliminary card

• Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty
  • Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Paul Taylor
  • Welterweight bout: Nick Osipczak vs. Matthew Riddle
  • Lightweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jared Hamman
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner
  • Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Germany Dennis Siver

......................................................................................​

First thing first, you all need to know that the entire main card (and perhaps some of the prelims) will air FREE on SpikeTv! It takes place on Saturday November 14, 2009 in Manchester, England. If you've never seen a UFC event, then check this one out. You will not regret it.

Now, with that said, this is one hell of a card.

I know, at first glance... maybe it doesn't look so. But trust me... it is. It most certainly is. For one, there are a bunch of SpikeTv shows that people initially have little interest in, but yet those same shows usually end up giving us some great, great fights. So, you should never judge an MMA show at first glance, because you never know what you're in for, especially in the UFC. Also, if you look a little deeper than the names on the card, UFC 105 could perhaps give us the rowdiest crowd we've ever seen in the UFC. There are so many UK vs. US fights on this card that I know the crowd will just be going insane for each and every one of them, rooting for their fighters from the UK. It's going to be a truly great atmosphere; I just know it.

Now, as far as the fight themselves....

If Randy Couture fights the same way he did in his fight against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, then we will be in for an absolute war. Brandon Vera loves to stand-up and bang, and if that's what Couture feels like doing come the 14th of November, then we will be in for a real treat. However, if not, then will be in for just complete dominance. Vera cannot handle someone like Randy Couture. Couture will be able to take the dude down at will, and will be able to do whatever it is he wants to do once the fight gets down to the ground. On the feet, it's probably even, but at least Couture knows that if he gets in some sort of trouble, he has completely other skill-sets to rely on and there won't be a damn thing Vera will be able to do about it. That's why I see Couture winning this one via Unanimous Decision, or in the 2nd or 3rd via Ground 'N Pound.

While Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera has a possibility of being a stand-up war, the UK's own Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick is GUARANTEED to be one. Both these guys love to strike, and both have knockout power for Welterweights. Someone in this fight will be knocked out, and I can't wait to find out who it's going to be. While I'd give the edge to Hardy in power and in technicality, Swick definitely has the edge in speed, and also reach. Swick's hands are just so damn fast, especially since he has moved down to Welterweight. Hardy definitely stands a chance in this one, but I don't think he will be able to get past Swick's speed and reach. It'll be interesting to see though. I'm really looking forward to this one. Also, for those who don't know, the winner of this fight will get a shot at GSP's Welterweight Championship, so that adds another huge aspect to it.

The UK's Michael Bisping should end up having his way with Dennis Kang. Bisping is just too well-rounded for someone like Kang to handle. Had Bisping not been so dumb in his last fight, he'd probably be ranked as the 2nd Best Middleweight in the World by most rankings. However, don't let his stupidity in one fight fool you: This guy can kick some ass. And I'm certain he's going to get back to his winning ways come UFC 105.

Matt Brown vs. the UK's winner of The Ultimate Fighter 9, James Wilks, is going to be absolutely phenomenal, and I am heavily rooting for Matt Brown in this one. Matt Brown is a true warrior and currently one of my favorite Welterweights in the UFC. The guy just has heart like no other and is a banger with tremendous knockout power, but he can also handle himself on the ground and wrestling wise as well. He's a very, very exciting, well-rounded fighter. James Wilks is no slouch himself, though, as he showed countless time on The Ultimate Fighter. He's another guy that loves to strike and I cannot wait to see how he does against someone as ruthless and powerful as Matt Brown. I'm predicting this fight to end up being Fight of the Night. I cannot fucking wait!

And the other UK TUF 9 winner, Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley should be a nice little opener. I think Pearson's going to dominate, but other than that.... I don't have much to say about this fight. Hopefully these two just gives us a good show to start off the program. However, this is definitely the fight I'm least looking forward to on the card.

And as far as the prelims go.... nothing special. But the great thing about the UFC is that if something awesome happens on the prelims, then we'll end up seeing it anyway on the main card, especially on a card like this where I'm sure there will be a couple of great, quick knockouts. :)

This card looks awesome. From top to bottom there should be some great matches, not to mention its FREE! The main event could be the great slug-fest everyone is predicting, but it could go to be a memorable ground match as well, due to Randy being one of the best wrestlers ever in UFC, and Vera is no slouch in BJJ and Greco Roman. Bisping v. Kang doesn't interest me as much, but seeing as this one is in the UK, "the Count" had to be on this card. The match that could steal the show, in my opinion, is Mike Swick v. Dan Hardy. Styles make fights, and these guys pair up fantastically. I agree that Hardy is the stronger of the two and Swick the faster, but i think Swick's flexibility and versatility in the octagon will be the key to victory. Again, this looks like an awesome match up, and Thanks JMT for getting this thread started.

This is definitely a great card!! Doesn't really matter that its free to me, since all events are free for me. A friend of mine introduced me to sopcast on the internet to watch all the ppv's for free a few months ago. The fight I'm anticipating the most is the Swick/Hardy fight since the winner gets a shot at GSP. I think Swick should definitely win this fight but if Hardy were to win I wouldn't be to mad, I hate his attitude but his last few fights he's looked great and is def deserving of a title shot if he somehow can get past Swick.
I hope Couture beats Vera, during his fight with Nog I was saying if he we to move down he would be better of at LW and have more to offer in his last fights. JMT hit it on the head with his outcome in this fight, Couture gets him down he will pound the shit out of him. The only way I see Vera winning this fight is if he can land some head kick to KO Randy.

It's pretty obvious that Bisping should win his fight vs Kang. I wanna see how Bisping comes out fighting in this fight, since this is his 1st fight since the brutal KO handed to him by Hendo. Once he gets comfortable I think he will be the one to land a brutal KO!

Brown/Wilks another great fight, Brown just has to defend the takedowns, since almost all of Wilks fights ended by submission, I think Brown has a good chance to KO Wilks he definitely is the better stronger striker out of the 2.

Hey, guys, just a quick reminder... this show is TOMORROW night (Saturday) and will air for FREE on SpikeTV at 8 PM Eastern timing, 7 PM Central.

For you Englishmen MMA fans on the board, if you would avoid posting spoilers until the show airs in the US, it would be greatly appreciated.

To give a quick review:

The main event is Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera. Both guys are formers Heavyweights who moved down to the Light Heavyweight Division to fight guys more around their size. If you watched the preview for this show, then you saw Randy say he's going back to his roots as a wrestler, so this fight will end up being a classic Wrestler vs. Striker match, and those are always interesting. It'll also be interesting to see if the fans in the UK are Randy Couture fans, or if they'll be like WWE Canadians and root against the person American fans love, lol.

Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick will be a stand-up war, no doubt, and the fans will be going ape-shit for Hardy. If winner of this fights wins in impressive fashion, then they will be granted a shot at GSP's Welterweight Championship, so a LOT is on the line in this fight and it's a must see.

Michael Bisping makes his return to the Octagon for the first time since suffering that devastating knockout against Dan Henderson. The fans in the UK love them some Michael Bisping, so you know he'll be getting a lot of support in this one. His opponent is on a two fight win streak, and this is his chance to prove himself to the World, so you know he's coming to fight. It should be a good one.

And finally, you have two TUF winners from the UK fighting two guys with a chip on their shoulder. Both fights should be a slug fest, and like with every other fight on the card, you know the fans are going to be going nuts for their hometown boys.

If you ever watched a Ricky Hatton fight, then you know how the UK loves their fighters, and tonight's show is featuring the best of the best from the UK, and that crowd will be going insane all throughout. It's going to be an awesome atmosphere with some awesome fights. You can't ask more as an MMA fan.

Its awesome that this card is on free tv. We get to see a bunch of the up and coming British fighters as well as the legend that is Randy Couture AND its all on free television. Sounds like a win win to me.

I am very interested in this main event fight between Couture and Vera. I have never personally been a fan of either but Couture has been growing on me as of late. I think this fight will be a war and will have to go to the judges score cards. Both fighters are very good but I see The Natural as the better overall fighter even at his age. If Vera can win this it will do wonders for him in regards to getting in line for a title fight and if Couture wins, well lets just say I think he'll be next in line behind Rua for a shot at Machida. I see this being a unnanimous decision for Randy Couture. He has much better wrestling and I think his striking defense will be good enough to fend of Vera at the end of the day.

I have said a little bit about how I feel about this Dan Hardy/ Mike Swick fight in the thread I started about GSP. This is supposed to be a number one contendors fight for a shot at St-Pierre and though I dont agree with it I can see where UFC matchmaking is coming from. Both are very exciting young fighters with great upsides. I like both fighters since they like to bang but then again anyone who stands and bangs I tend to like. I think Hardy has great hands but we havent really seen his other skills and if memory serves me correct Swick has some jiu jitsu. I see this fight ending and fairly fast. Im feeling a first round KO or Submission for Mike Swick. His been around the block time after time and against some really good fighters in the UFC. I just dont see Hardy winning this one. GSP/Swick will be an intriguing fight.

Bisping vs. Kang should be solid. I dont know to much about Kang up to this point but ive seen enough of Bisping. I was a fan until he coached TUF, then he started talking to much. As much as I hope Kang knocks him out Bisping will more then likely win this fight. I see this going to decision with a unnanimous for Bisping.

I also see both TUF winners Pearson and Wilks winning their bouts. Both have solid competition for their first true fights since TUF but they should be able to out manuver and fight their guys. I see Matt Brown being the toughest challenger for WIlks because Brown is so fucking tough. But I dont see him beating Wilks. Both will win more then likely but Submission or decision.

Looks to be a fantastic card from top to bottom and I really hope I can catch it live. If nnot im sure ill see the replay soon enough. Add a title fight to this card and you could get a top 5 ppv for the year right here and its free. Certainly worth a view.

Looking forward to this, should be pretty good.

Couture v. Vera. Vera may be an overconfident prick, but I like him for some reason. I'm rooting for him to win here, but I just can't see it happening. I don't see what Vera can do to slow down Randy at all here. I think he'll dominate with takedowns and win by TKO.

Swick v. Hardy. Haven't really seen anything from Hardy, but I really like Swick. Judging from his past fights, I think this one could end early.

I really don't like Bisping at all and am definetly hoping a loss for him here. Don't know much about Kang, but he looks like a badass. Definetly will be entertaining though given that it's in the UK.

Don't know much about the other matches. I saw a little bit of Wilks, but other than that, no idea. I guess I'll learn a few things here.

Not going to lie, I havent seen all of the main card fights yet but I did watch the Main events. Neither were specifically special but some guys impressed me.

Some of you know how I feel about the Dan Hardy/Mike Swick fight being for the number one spot for GSP's belt. My mind was not swayed tonight that either man deserves a title shot more specifically Hardy. Yeah his hands looked good but thats no surprise. He didnt finish of Swick or even go in for the kill any of the three or four times he had Swick hurt bad. Hardy did however beat Swick and there is no doubt of that in my mind. Give him his bloody title shot and like Joe Rogan said maybe the loser is better off not fighting GSP. Good job Hardy and good luck with Pierre, your going to need it.

Mike Swick was so disappointing to me tonight. I am a big fan of the AKA team but Swick did not show up to fight at all. He seemed a little sluggish and wouldnt exchange at all. I think taking Hardy down was a good plan at first but as soon as he learned that Hardy is tough to take down he should have gone to his money maker and started throwing bombs. I give him credit for no quitting but I am very disappointed in his performance. Time to start from scratch Swick.

Brandon Vera impressed the hell out of me tonight. No his fight was not particularly exciting or anything but he showed that he could hang with a legend such as Couture. Which also showed me that he could hang with the best. Couture is no easy fight even for his age and thats been proven time and time again. No problem losing to a living legend. His striking looked so good and those kicks he threw were nice as hell. Keep your head up Vera you are once again possible the future of your division.

Randy Couture is a true legend, even at his age he can hang in there with just about anyone. His wrestling looked good as always. I wouldnt be surprised if his rib was broken from those kicks Vera was throwing. With this win I could see him maybe getting a shot at Machida. The UFC loves Couture and loves putting him in title fights. With no true contendor set in stone for Machida other then a rematch with Rua I think it is very plausible that he could get a shot at thew belt and soon, though not that soon since Machida is out of action. Maybe a Rua/Couture fight as well to set up that next title shot.

The first half of the show was fan-fucking-tastic, while the second half only had a couple of very good 3rd Rounds.

Couture vs. Vera had me really, really nervous in the 2nd when Vera dropped Couture with that knee. I thought it was over, and I actually believe that if Vera hadn't let up on Couture when he hit the ground, then he could have finished him off. But Vera didn't have it in him to continue to throw bombs (he's also had a questionable gas tank), and it cost him big time.

As Couture said after the fight, the holding against the cage isn't entertaining at all, and while I'm happy Couture won, it's unfortunate he did it in that manner. But a win's a win, right? It's not Couture's fault Vera couldn't get the guy off him. Every time last week Rogers tried to hold Fedor against the cage, Fedor would find a way to get out of it quickly, but Brett Rogers isn't Randy Couture and Brandon Vera sure as shit isn't Fedor Emelianenko.

Mike Swick really disappointed me last night. I think he gave Dan Hardy way too much respect. He should have been way, way more aggressive, and I'm positive if you'd ask him today, he'd feel the same way. But since he wasn't... Dan Hardy was able to take a decision. However, Hardy was not that impressive, and he's going to get his ass destroyed against GSP. That will be really fun to watch.

Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang was fucking awesome. I'm a big Michael Bisping fan as I've made clear here quite a few times, and I was rooting for him heavily in this one. He had me worried in the first round though, but he showed his heart by taking the punishment, only to recover and come back in the 2nd to pick apart Kang and finish the guy off. I think I was more impressed with Bisping in this fight than any other fight in his career. He was beyond awesome, and I can't wait to see what's next for him.

Matt fucking Brown (as my friend Dave likes to call him) vs. James Wilks was another tremendous fight, and as I predicted... Matt Brown showed just how bad ass that motherfucker is. He's definitely my 3rd favorite Welterweight in the UFC, and I do think he's going places. On the feet he's great, his wrestling is very good, and he seems to improve Jiu-Jitsu wise with each passing bout. This guy very well may be a serious threat to GSP a year from now (that is if Anthony Rumble Johnson doesn't beat GSP first). Mark my words.

Ross Pearson looked really good against Aaron Riley, and that's all I really have to say about it. I'm going to be interested in seeing how Pearson does against the tougher talent in the Lightweight Division as the weeks/months go by. I'm not convinced yet he's going to be a serious threat, as the Lightweight Division is by far the deepest in the UFC, in my opinion.

And finally... the two Prelim fights that aired were terrific. Andre Winner's knockout was fucking BRUTAL, and Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jared Hamman was just a fun little slugfest with a mouthpiece getting flown out of Hamman, which as always was a very, very cool visual.

Overall, very good show for free TV. But, nowhere near as good as Strikeforce's show last week, and I think the TUF 10 Finale will be much better as well.

Fucking ESPN bottomline showed the results before it aired, so I didn't catch that much of it.

Bisping looked pretty awesome though, I wasn't big on him at all coming in to this fight, but he really won me over last night. Pretty awesome.

Pearson just destroyed Riley, who didn't look to be anything special. Pretty entertaining.

Hardy/Swick wasn't exciting, didn't watch most of it. Don't know why Swick didn't stick to the stand up game, think he woulda had a better shot.

Main event was as expected. Vera had some flashes, but Randy is Randy and will simply do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Pretty decent show, especially since it was free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back