• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Turning things around for the Big Show

BringThePain834

Getting Noticed By Management
I think that this is the perfect opportunity for the Big Show's career to be recharged. To do this, they need to book Brock Lesnar to do something wild to him during or after the match if they want to do the whole "I'm not finished yet" thing. I would book it as Lesnar's leaving the ring, and the Big Show is starting to get up, and Heyman talks Lesnar into going back to the ring to dish out more punishment. Break an arm, break a leg, whatever, just use Lesnar doing something wild, thus creating an injury angle, to take the Big Show off of TV and start booking him more as a special attraction once he returns. No, I don't mean give him the Lesnar schedule, but don't constantly book him in feuds, thus showcasing him regularly, something like time off, return for a feud and matches in between every other week, time off again, repeat. Even Big Show himself feels like he's being overexposed. He told Digital Spy "I think the uniqueness and the special things I bring to WWE is sometimes a bit downplayed because you see me every week"

I think many will agree with me when I say that WWE continually presenting him as a top star is a problem. Another guy that has been around for long, a bit longer, is Kane. He's had a lot of things change with his character. He started out as this dentist, then became a Diesel, he then becomes Kane and has a mask, and six years later, taking off the mask, and that unmasked Kane lasted eight years. He then goes back to the mask, and also became Corporate Kane, which today he switches back and forth from. But the Big Show has always been the same Big Show. Another thing, there's no geniune interest in seeing the Big Show around every week now, and nobody is buying into the "Big Show as a credible threat to Lesnar" thing and shoving him at the top of the card when nobody is interested in seeing him there just needs to stop.

Bottom line, Saturday is the perfect time for WWE to turn things around and I would hope that they realize this oppurtunity and take advantage of it

Best thread I've seen in awhile...Big Show has been overexposed since day 1 since he joined the WWF back in 99....He had a perfect debut by coming up through the ring, throwing Austin through the cage at the St. Valentine's Day Massacre PPV in February 99, helping Vince win the steel cage match..

After that, Big Show was featured on pretty much every Raw, PPV, Smackdown, house show, etc HUGE fucking mistake....He should've immediately been given the "Andre treatment", in that less is more..Feature him say, every 3-6 months...He'd be essentially undefeated..Barely ever pinned, NEVER taps out and he would've never jobbed cleanly to every wrestler on the WWE roster for years on end..Not to mention he wouldn't have been the butt of jokes, thrown into comedy angles over and over, turned heel/face and back again a record # of times so that fans never know how to perceive him....I can go on and on..

Big Show's mystique as a "giant" died years and years ago. Fucking shame too...If he would've stayed in his WCW shape(instead of getting fat and having shittier matches every year because of it), by only being featured every few months at the MOST, Big Show would've had a huge level of mystique which would've undoubtedly stayed with him to this very day..The man was booked in so many Wrestlecrap-ridden angles it's really a damn shame when ya think about it..Big Show crying for his job back, shitting in the toilet because of eating Eddy's burritos and being made out to be a joke again and again way beyond and far above the point of ad nauseum.

Also, much as I enjoyed the thought of Lesnar vs Big Show back in 2002 when their 1st ever match was being hyped, Big Show being tossed around like a piece of shit by Lesnar in essentially every match they ever had never helped Big Show either..Though at the same time it helped get Lesnar over huge as a "giant killer" and the only wrestler to ever make Big Show his bitch by humbling him every time they ever wrestled. Hence that is a double edged sword to consider.

Your idea is really the best option for Big Show at this point..Lesnar "injures" Big Show at their MSG match and Big Show comes back but is featured in a "less is more" capacity. IF WWE actually pulls that off, then Big Show could actually regain at least some of the credibility he's lost since he debuted in 99..

Just a thought. Doesn't the way he has been mishandled fall in line with the way Vince has treated pretty much anyone with the WCW stink on them? Anyone not named Ric Flair anyway.

Yes. Please, WWE, do this! Big Show needs to be featured less often, especially at his age and this stage of his career. He can still put on a great match, but when you have him on Raw and Smackdown every week, it ruins his aura of being a special attraction. He just becomes a really big guy who is a threat to everyone but rarely beats anyone of significance. That is not how you book Big Show. WWE needs to give him credibility back, even if it's just for one more strong run before his career is over. I, and I'm sure many others, want to see him featured in a way that he should have been featured 16 years ago. Strong, dominant, and not wrestling at every show.

The Big Show is the greatest giant in wrestling history, and should be treated as such, plain and simple. I'm so tired of them booking Big Show as a joke. By all rights there should be VERY few superstars who should ever beat Big Show.

At this stage in his career, I agree that Big Show should be on a special appearance deal. He should be treated as a big deal because he IS a big deal.

Andre will always be the giant of wrestling even in death. He pretty much booked his own career, if he didn't like the story or his opponent it wasn't going to happen. Big Show's character has changed over and over from the unstoppable machine and then crying with hurt feelings in his next character. Once you make a person that big no longer invincible and then as comic relief you can't go back.

I agree wholeheartedly. Big Show, along with wrestlers like Mark Henry and Kane, are attraction wrestlers. They should not be wrestling at every show like they have been as enhancement talent to whomever the fuck in the mid card. They should be wrestling exclusively against huge name opponents like the world champion or other top attractions like Lesnar and Undertaker. I don't see any of these guys ever being world champion again, even Kane who is actually in a great position to do it, as they don't need it.

If WWE wants to feature Show in tag or multi man matches often that would also be ideal. Shows off his power and strength, and he doesn't have to take the pin. That's one reason why old school attractions like Andre and Haystacks were used as tag wrestlers. They could be seen often and their shtick didn't get stale as quickly.

Just a thought. Doesn't the way he has been mishandled fall in line with the way Vince has treated pretty much anyone with the WCW stink on them? Anyone not named Ric Flair anyway.

Initially, Vince was pretty high on Big Show even when he was with WCW, even got to the point where they met at one of Vince's houses in Boca Raton and that's where the WWE deal came from.

But yeah, booking wise, it's never really been good for ex-WCW guys

I think that this is the perfect opportunity for the Big Show's career to be recharged. To do this, they need to book Brock Lesnar to do something wild to him during or after the match if they want to do the whole "I'm not finished yet" thing. I would book it as Lesnar's leaving the ring, and the Big Show is starting to get up, and Heyman talks Lesnar into going back to the ring to dish out more punishment. Break an arm, break a leg, whatever, just use Lesnar doing something wild, thus creating an injury angle, to take the Big Show off of TV and start booking him more as a special attraction once he returns. No, I don't mean give him the Lesnar schedule, but don't constantly book him in feuds, thus showcasing him regularly, something like time off, return for a feud and matches in between every other week, time off again, repeat. Even Big Show himself feels like he's being overexposed. He told Digital Spy "I think the uniqueness and the special things I bring to WWE is sometimes a bit downplayed because you see me every week"

I think many will agree with me when I say that WWE continually presenting him as a top star is a problem. Another guy that has been around for long, a bit longer, is Kane. He's had a lot of things change with his character. He started out as this dentist, then became a Diesel, he then becomes Kane and has a mask, and six years later, taking off the mask, and that unmasked Kane lasted eight years. He then goes back to the mask, and also became Corporate Kane, which today he switches back and forth from. But the Big Show has always been the same Big Show. Another thing, there's no geniune interest in seeing the Big Show around every week now, and nobody is buying into the "Big Show as a credible threat to Lesnar" thing and shoving him at the top of the card when nobody is interested in seeing him there just needs to stop.

Bottom line, Saturday is the perfect time for WWE to turn things around and I would hope that they realize this oppurtunity and take advantage of it

I get where you coming from but can't deny how much he helps the company. He really does a good job making younger talent look good. I wonder will he get a title shot against Rollins. He's definitely paid his dues facing younger talent - Ryback, Reigns, etc.

What the OP suggests makes sense about any "Special Character" today.
With Big Show, he has been so overexposed and is also now 43 already, that it would be quite difficult for him to be built back up as a true special attraction. lMO, he and Kane(to a lesser extent) are practically 'damaged goods' that would have to leave for like 5 or so years, in order to return as proper Special Attractions.

Now, someone like Braun Strowman, can actually be used as such a Special Attraction if WWE don't overexpose him. Think Brock Lesnar, whose limited dates, mean that when he appears, it feels like something "Must See".
Yes, Braun is 'green', but if not overexposed initially, I am sure he can work on his in-ring work gradually, whilst being protected as the new "Monster" type character.

lMO, over-exposure is the Main reason many have lost hope for Bray Wyatt's character, which should have gotten the "Taker" treatment rather than be thrown into feud after feud for no apparent reason, whilst also appearing on practically every show, so far as taking part in pretty random 6-man tag matches for no reason.

lMO, over-exposure is the Main reason many have lost hope for Bray Wyatt's character, which should have gotten the "Taker" treatment rather than be thrown into feud after feud for no apparent reason, whilst also appearing on practically every show, so far as taking part in pretty random 6-man tag matches for no reason.

If Bray Wyatt has the potential to be an "Undertaker" like special attraction (and I don't believe he does, but for argument's sake, let's say he does have that potential), he needs to EARN it. Undertaker didn't just debut in 1990 and immediately become a special attraction. He earned that by competing night after night for years on end. His "Decades of Destruction" weren't only weekend PPV events. Bray Wyatt SHOULD be working every event. Every PPV, every TV event, every house show.

I think, as another poster mentioned, trying to get The Big Show over as a special attraction nowadays would be damn near impossible. His character has taken so many devastating hits over the years and is so over-exposed that he would have to be gone for minimum 2 years for the fans to warm back up to and embrace him again the way they do others like HHH, Taker, Lesnar, etc. I have a lot of respect for Big Show. I'm one of the few people on this site who doesn't mind Show and can see the usefulness in his gimmick and ability, but others, rightfully so, are burned out on the guy.

We've seen Show flip flop between ruthless, unmerciful, monster and tearful, soft-hearted giant so many times now that playing the next turn off as something "special" is likely to flop with the fans. As I said before, time has likely run out for WWE to re-create Show (or Kane or Henry) as legitimate draws equal to the other legends, but these guys should still be used sparingly nonetheless, at this point in their careers.

Well, I just watched his match with Lesnar and it was pretty short, although Show did get some dominance in. But as we all suspected, it was just a stepping stone for Lesnar. Show really sold the hell out of his beating as well.

I am officially pissed off.

Lesnar coming back to the ring should have meant something like another Suplex and then a Kimura Lock. Break his arm. Big Show is injured. No Big Show for two or so months, and then Big Show gets the Andre the Giant treatment, where he always wins big feuds, and mainly wrestles in multi man and tag team matches so he doesn't have to take the fall.

I want to be able to take Big Show seriously again.

I think Big Show needs a new name. Hell, I'd much rather they call him just "The Giant". Big Show sounds like a one-shot gimmick character who is built up to lose and then subsequently becomes a jobber.

I am officially pissed off.

Lesnar coming back to the ring should have meant something like another Suplex and then a Kimura Lock. Break his arm. Big Show is injured. No Big Show for two or so months, and then Big Show gets the Andre the Giant treatment, where he always wins big feuds, and mainly wrestles in multi man and tag team matches so he doesn't have to take the fall.

I want to be able to take Big Show seriously again.

I haven't seen the match yet but I do agree with ya...I doubted "WWE Creative" would pull off that idea we both agree on..Fucking shame too..Oh well, it's their loss on booking Big Show like shit..

Martial Horror, considering Big Show was called "The Giant" while he was in WCW, I wish he would've found a way to have kept that moniker when he came to the WWF..You're right about the "Big Show" name...Too right in hindisight..

Folks, a lot of you wish that they could start over with the Big Show. Some of you even hoped he got put out tonight. Do you want to know why neither will happen? Simply put, it is called the guaranteed contract. What I just said is NOT kayfabe. It is very real. That is why you cannot have special attractions much anymore. In Andre the Giant's day, they worked on "per appearance" contracts. That is how Andre the Giant became that "Special Attraction". They paid him to make a few appearances, and then to the next territory. That was how it was: you worked, you got paid.

On the Guaranteed contract, you get paid whether you worked or not. Since Big Show moved the needle, no way in hell was VKM going to let Show bounce around or stay at home. He needed Show to move the needle, and move it often. So, that is why we see Big Show in so many angles. He gets $650K per year plus perks and per diems. Do you think any Company worth anything would let Show sit at home collecting that type of a paycheck?

I think many will agree with me when I say that WWE continually presenting him as a top star is a problem.

I suppose this is an example of 'living off one's reputation.'

Big Show has been plying his trade for so many years now, I guess there is nothing new he can show us, yet he still has the size that makes him unique in WWE.....and as long as he seems willing, he can be used as an enhancement talent strictly on the basis of what we already know about him.

Yes, to be a proper enhancement guy, he has to win an occasional match and look fierce while doing it. In Show's case, he was made to look strong in anticipation of his Saturday night match with Brock Lesnar by easily dispatching Mark Henry in the days before.

So, fine. He's a monster and he'll give Brock some hell before succumbing ....which is what wound up happening, right?

Given all this.....and the late stage of career Show now occupies.....I kind of doubt he's looking for things to be 'turned around.' Probably, he's happy being featured in the manner he is and running out the string until he's ready to call it quits.

Godspeed, Paul Wight.

I agree wholeheartedly. Big Show, along with wrestlers like Mark Henry and Kane, are attraction wrestlers. They should not be wrestling at every show like they have been as enhancement talent to whomever the fuck in the mid card. They should be wrestling exclusively against huge name opponents like the world champion or other top attractions like Lesnar and Undertaker. I don't see any of these guys ever being world champion again, even Kane who is actually in a great position to do it, as they don't need it.

If WWE wants to feature Show in tag or multi man matches often that would also be ideal. Shows off his power and strength, and he doesn't have to take the pin. That's one reason why old school attractions like Andre and Haystacks were used as tag wrestlers. They could be seen often and their shtick didn't get stale as quickly.

If there is a WWE writer, who can make Big Show look like the amazing threat/attraction that he is (could've been), I'll buy him a steak.

Its strange but with overexposure and all these years of him just floundering, I don't think there is anything that can be done now. I think we need a new giant.

Big Show has been fantastic. He used to do a nip-up(clutching the bottom rope). moonsaults, has worked good matches on big stages and has been the great final hurdle for a lot of rising superstars. Cena in 04 would be an example but, I dunno now.

Last night's bout with Lesnar went exactly as I figured it would in that Show was destroyed in less than 5 minutes. The thing about Big Show is that he has some things going against him that just can't really be washed away.

Show's 43 years old and, hopefully, he has a long life ahead of him but there's just not a whole lot to do with a guy that's 43 years old, done just about everything there is to do in WWE and the tastes of fans have changed so dramatically in the past 15 years or so. Show is a super heavyweight bruiser and super heavyweight bruisers are...well not really "in style" anymore. For instance, how many times have you heard the "boring" chants for matches featuring guys like Big Show or Mark Henry? That's not to say they don't have their uses, but I think it's fair to say that most modern fans aren't interested in the slow, plodding, generally unathletic performances of the 350 pound+ club when it comes to being pushed. While the "Please Retire" chants are pretty disrespectable, in my opinion at least, it's just another example of how the tastes of fans have changed.

Another problem with Big Show is that the guy is fairly one or two dimensional at most and that's exactly the way Vince McMahon wants him. Show's genuinely got personality and charisma that he's displayed quite a bit before, but Show's physical presence is something that pegs him for a specific role, otherwise the guy just comes off looking like a clown. For instance, it's hard to suspend disbelief enough to take someone as a serious threat when they dress up like and dance with Pee Wee Herman on live television in front of millions of viewers. The alternative to him looking like a clown, which WWE has had him do more than his fair share of in the past, is having him look like a big ol' thug who constantly brags about how big & bad he is, which is essentially what Show does and has been doing for quite a while.

Even if they hit the reset button with Show, I think the damage is done, the fact that his primary goal has been to elevate guys for the last several years can't be ignored and I just don't think that the overall interest among fans is there.

Personally, I would have no problem with Big Show remaining a part of the show, either as a comedy routine again or even reuniting with Kane in the tag division.

But he has literally no business still being built up as a threat to anyone. Instead he should be the one to be putting over younger talent. Anyone able to lift him will automatically get a boost as it remains an extremely impressive feat. Let Cesaro slam and maybe even duplex him. Let Ryback Shellshock him. Let Big E do some crazy lifting in a tag feud between New Day and Show/Kane.

I did feel bad for the BS last night for having Brock come back to the ring for another F5 after his time in the company was a bit much. It makes me wonder if the WWE would have him interfere in the HIAC match with the Taker/Lesnar allowing the Taker to go over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back