• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tri-Top: The Tragically Hip

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
This one is a requested Tri-Top from my good friend Showtime. When making this, he made it mandatory that every Canadian on the forum must post in here, as well as a world wide audience. TTH are one of Canada's favourite bands for their catchy easy listening to sound. What are your three favourite of those songs?

Blow at High Dough- The song which was used for the very underrated series "Made In Canada", this song became one of my favourites after I heard it on a tape when I was very young. No one knew who's tape it was, so I kept it for myself. It became one of my favourite songs, and everyone I know who knows this song loves it.

38 Years Old- The joking aside for this song, it is a very catchy piece. No one really knows about the true meaning of this song, but there is speculations that is about a rapist who escaped from prison. The Hip truly show off their bluesy side with this hit, and all those who enjoy Bluesy Rock, listen to this one.

At The 100th Meridian- An ideal Canadian song, the song discusses the start of "the great plains" specifically the province of Manitoba. I like the competing vocals in the song as they try to one up the other person in this masterpiece.

This one is a requested Tri-Top from my good friend Showtime. When making this, he made it mandatory that every Canadian on the forum must post in here, as well as a world wide audience. TTH are one of Canada's favourite bands for their catchy easy listening to sound. What are your three favourite of those songs?

Blow at High Dough- The song which was used for the very underrated series "Made In Canada", this song became one of my favourites after I heard it on a tape when I was very young. No one knew who's tape it was, so I kept it for myself. It became one of my favourite songs, and everyone I know who knows this song loves it.

38 Years Old- The joking aside for this song, it is a very catchy piece. No one really knows about the true meaning of this song, but there is speculations that is about a rapist who escaped from prison. The Hip truly show off their bluesy side with this hit, and all those who enjoy Bluesy Rock, listen to this one.

At The 100th Meridian- An ideal Canadian song, the song discusses the start of "the great plains" specifically the province of Manitoba. I like the competing vocals in the song as they try to one up the other person in this masterpiece.

Great Thread! I love The Hip, and strongly advocate listening to thier music,especially at my local bar. So heres my top three:

1)Wheat Kings- Much like 38 years old, this song truly showcases the Hips bluesy abilities. Apparently, just by listening to lyrics, this song is about a man who was wrongly convicted of murder, and wasn't released for 20 yrs.

2)At the 100th Meridian- I love this song, like you mentioned, for the dueling vocals. Just Masterful in everyway.

3)Fireworks- I'm a fan of this song because it's fast tempoed and fun. I first became aware of this track because of the show Corner Gas, as it was featured on an episode.

Again, great band and great thread!

That's right TM, and sorry for arriving so late. Every Canadian should be able to pull out at least a dozen great songs by the Hip, but we'll struggle and try to narrow it sown to three (it really was tough)

Wheat Kings: Not the only song the person above me picked that I was going to use (shakes fist angrily at poster above, lol, jk) This song is a epically good song by the Hip and in no way was going to be left off my three choices. A softer more acoustic song than most of their work, this is one of the many songs that showcases Gord Downie's excellent ability to story tell in his songs. This song is one of seven songs that are off the Fully Completely album that are played on regular rotation here in Canada.

Twist my Arm: Fun little tune that has a solid beat to it. The guitar work is exceptionally well in this song and Downie's lyrics run well with the song. An infectious beat, I dance like a fool to this song.

Grace Too: A slower track from one of the more darker albums by the Hip, Day for Night. Much like Hundredth Meridian, the dual vocal work awesome, the backing vocals complementing Downie's words and adding a bit of creepiness. The music plays at a relaxing pace and then picks it up at the right moments in the lyrics.

Other songs I recommend listneing too: So Hard Done By, New Orleans is Sinking, Poets, Fully Completely, Love is a First (Their new one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back