• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Torch Passing Moments

wbuqed

I bring the meat even if ur a vegan
Ok so I'll give a disclaimer that I tried going through different forums to see if this thread was brought up but couldn't find any about this so I'm writing, please don't penalize me.

So I was watching some old ECW stuff and came across the Anarchy Rulz triple threat match with Tazz/Awesome/Tanaka. And it made me think about matches that may not have seemed like it at the time, but were moments where you saw the torch passed in that organization. I wanted to ask you guys what you think the best torch passing moment was in wrestling. I know some of you may say Flair to Michaels in WM 24, now while Flair was retiring I don't think you technically can call that a passing of the torch only cause it was going to a man who was later on in his career (HBK), but if you can make a good argument about it go nuts. For me, like I said earlier it is that same triple threat match, because of the status that Tazz built for himself in wrestling based on his work in an indy promotion like ECW, he parlayed that reputation into WWE and a long running career both in ring and out, and he allowed for the result of Anarchy Rulz to happen because I believe he always had ECW's best intentions in mind.

Well, I would have to say that the biggest one that comes to my mind is HBK passing the torch to Austin at Wrestlemania 14. HBK was leaving for good (at the time), and the company was moving towards Austin, and so HBK did the job at Mania, and Austin got the title. Of course, the next night on Raw we had the first Stunner to Vinny Mac, and The Austin Era was off and running.

I'm tempted to say Austin/Hart but I'm not going to becasue Austin was already on a roll long before that match. For me it's Batista/HHH. The moment had a fitting build with the Enforcer with a bland character turning face into someone we cared about and someone who would FINALLY take down the tirant Triple H. Flair and HHH all served there rolls brilliantly (as did JBL) but Batista was the real star here, coming out of his shell and taking the belt. And they cemented him well too with three PPV wins over HHH.

Hulk Hogan vs. the Ultimate Warrior was the most prominent torch passing moment in American pro wrestling history, even though Warrior ultimately imploded. It was clear, definite, and clean, and had one guy physically handing the belt over, which is a clear "passing the torch" moment, along with the big hug. It was a true moment.

Some people talk about Hulk-Andre as being a torch-passing moment, but I disagree. At the time, Hogan was already the biggest star in the company and the champion, the match was more about cementing Hogan then making Hogan. Hulk Hogan vs. the Rock was also a true torch passing moment, although Hogan was a bit later in his career.

While it might not be absolutely huge when it comes to torch passings, I'm gonna include Triple H vs John Cena Wrestlemania 22.

Triple H being absolutely huge and beloved as a heel back then, insane respect from the fans, and John Cena really hated by the hardcore fans back then, and then to have Triple H tap out, while it's not the first time he tapped out, it's still quite a deal to have Triple H tapping, at least it was back then.

Either that, or if we're to make it a "true" passing of the torch, Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton Summerslam 2004. Randy's first world title, Randy actually beating Benoit CLEAN in the ring, and then to shake his hand after the match, while Benoit wasn't huge back then, he wasn't the true "torch passer" if you could say so, it's definitely something to remember, cause it pushed Randy to a storyline that eventually pushed Randy very far as a star on his own feet, and to one of the longer storylines when it comes to hatred between people, hell Batista is still talking about Evolution (last week).

For me, it's a tie between Flair Vs Stings or HBK vs Austin, I'm too young to remember Flair/Sting and I saw HBK/Austin but the one thing they have in common is that both matches made two of the biggest names in the business.

Well, I would have to say that the biggest one that comes to my mind is HBK passing the torch to Austin at Wrestlemania 14. HBK was leaving for good (at the time), and the company was moving towards Austin, and so HBK did the job at Mania, and Austin got the title. Of course, the next night on Raw we had the first Stunner to Vinny Mac, and The Austin Era was off and running.

absoñlutely, the first TP moment that comes to my mind...

also what could have been a great torch passing, when Goldberg pinned Hogan at Nitro for the title, then it would've been followed by main event pushes to DDP, Booker, Steiner, Buff, Raven, Saturn, Kanyon and other (then) young guns, then it came, but 2 years later with the BATB2000 incident, i would've loved to see what if WCW started their Youth Movement with Goldberg's title win

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back