• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top 5...mark outs

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
So everyone has their favourite games, consoles etc but what is your favourite moment of a game? Here's my top five.

Five- Hyrule castle- Ocarina of time

When you get to Hyrule castle and you look through the window, there's pictures of Mario etc. A nice little mark out moment there.

Four - Super Sonic - Sonic the Hedgehog 2

So you collect all emeralds, awesome. Get 50 rings and suddenly you're yellow and kick ass. The first time that happened I was pretty excited!

Three- Warp pipes- Super Mario bros 1

Super Mario Bros 1, you somehow end up on the top and run along and there are three pipes. Six year old Lee is being encouraged to cheat, skip a few worlds because I am so good!

Two - You are a super gamer- Super Mario World

You do all the levels, you go to the secret part and there you have it in gold coins....You are a super gamer! Epic

One - Master Sword - OOT

Everyone knows this, you get the master sword in OOT and you think how the fuck am I going to wield that sword. You're then put in a 7 year dream and become an adult. Awesome.

I particularly enjoyed the first time that I cast "Knights of the Round" in Final Fantasy VII. Considering that I spent half of my childhood breeding chocobos in order to obtain the piece of materia, finally seeing the carnage that it caused was well worth the wait.

I marked out like crazy when I saw all of those 9999's run across the screen during the FMV...

5. Tetris - Getting to Level 10

It may not sound like much, but when I first started playing, I'd only get to Level 5 or 6, and be proud of it. The first time I got to Level 10, I screamed like a little girl, and promptly lost within a few seconds.

4. Mortal Kombat - Defeating Goro

I never had a problem fighting Goro on the console, but in the arcade, I always had trouble. I was relatively young, and there was always people watching. So, when I finally beat him, there was more than just me cheering, and then I got my ass handed to me by Shang Tsung.

3. NHL '98 - Winning the Stanley Cup

It's no big deal now, but when I went through my first season, finished 4th, and then won the Stanley Cup in 7 games, I was ecstatic. It was exactly the kind of series I'd have wanted to watch on TV. That's the mark of a great game.

2. MVP 2005 - Setting the HR record

Watching it happen in real life was underwhelming when Bonds did it, so when I had a chance to set up a season on this game, and David Wright went on to hit 84 HRs, I was more than a little happy. He also won the Triple Crown, but setting the HR record was the biggest deal for me.

1. Halo - Beating "The Maw" on Legendary

I'm not big on RPGs and shooters, or basically any game of the sort. But, when I picked up a controller and sat down in front of this game, this is what I set out to do. I defeated it, and felt like throwing a party.

Nice thread idea, Lee.

Hmm, from all of the vast and expansive libraries of games I have ever owned, picking just five moments will be very hard. Anyway, I will give it my best effort and see what happens.

Number 5: Gears of War 2 - Dom finds Maria

This is a great moment in my gaming life. I remember making it to this part of the game and I knew that it would be a freaking great moment. I have been a huge Gears of War fan since it came out and I have played them both and they still remain two of my favourite games of all time. It is too bad that Dom had to shoot his own wife but I really think that the emotion involved in that part of the game is just tremendous. A great part of the game and a great part of my gaming life.

Number 4: Final Fantasy 7 - Motorbikin'

If you have not played this little gem of a mini-game in Final Fantasy 7, you have not lived. It is part of one of the most expansive games ever and just a tremendous thing to do. You control Cloud and try to fight off many little shits on motorbikes as the rest of your party attempt to make an escape in a truck. The FMV before it is fucking awesome and the actual game play of that art is so addicting. I must have played it 100 times and I still love it.

Number 3: Prince Of Persia - Good Prince Gone Bad

I love this part of the Prince of Persia series. You know, before it got all goofy and animated. Eugh! Never mind, I always have this part of the series to get me through the colder nights and I absolutely love it. The first time that the Prince turns into the darker prince is just a huge "WTF moment" for me and you can add that to the fact that he is a complete bad ass when he switches. A tremendous part of the series and a great mark out moment each and every time he changed.

Number 2: Crackdown - We Have Been Compromised!

At the end of the game, it turns out that everything you have been fighting against is actually the association that you have been fighting for. I genuinely marked out when it was exposed and I still love that part of the game whenever I get the chance to play it. It's not only that it was a huge twist in the storyline, it's that you then got to go and scale that huge fucking tower for the 400th time and it was just epic! Love it.

Number 1: Final Fantasy 10 - Is he?

This is it! This is the biggest mark out of my gaming life and I don;t think it will be surpassed any time soon. The end of Final Fantasy X is the best ending to a game I have ever played and it is all due to the mark-out moment at the end. Let me explain for those who have not finished it shall I and gotten the good ending. When you finally defeat all the bosses and everything goes back to normal, there is an extended FMV where it shows Tidus. Tidus is supposed to be dead at the end of the game as he was a dream all along basically but seeing him alive at the ened of the game is fucking epic and is just the greatest moment of my gaming life. I continually play this game to see it again and I am even marking out writing this. Fantastic moment.

Good lord I am WAYYYY to Old School.

The Legend of Zelda - The Red Ring

Located in a hard to reach cavern in Level 9 (Spectacle Rock!), the Red Ring minimizes the damage you take from attacks. It's almost nessecary to defeat Gannon, as without it, his simple magic attack costs you about 3 full hearts. With the red ring I think it dropped to one. It's also the one item you wait ALL GAME to get, and it's the final item you get in order to be prepared to face Gannon.

Punch Out - Beating Tyson

Good god that sumbitch was hard. I remember I was like 9 years old and it was a hot summer Sunday afternoon. My mom was vaccuming and came into my room to vaccum my floor, and I kicked her out because I was about to topple Iron Mike. When I did, I realized that my reward was that I had to vaccum my own room. WORTH IT!

Contra - Hit that red thing!

After making it through level one, I come across this giant structure and try to destroy it. I take out the guns that are shooting at me and the guys in the little coves. But then I'm lost. It takes my 20 minutes or so to figure out that the red dot at the bottom was where you damaged the thing. It exploded, and off I went to level 2.

Super Mario 3 - My first Hammer Suit

When Mario 3 came out, there was crazy hype between the magazines and the film "The Wizard." Even the hype didn't match up against what we found. A frog suit for awesome swimming, a racoon suit that for some reason allowed you to become a statue, and the hammer suit, which allowed you to throw hammers like those damn hammer bros. The first time I donned the thing, well, I overthrew the hammers and the Goomba got me, but my second one lasted me all stage!

Super Mario 2- Beating FryGuy

He was, IMO, the hardest sub-boss in the game. Clawgrip was a bitch too, but Fryguy was damn tough. After hitting him, he split into mini turd-sized FryGuys, and they came after you. They'd try to stand on top of the blocks you needed to kill them, so you had to get them to chase you so you could grab one. Quick f'ers, they were.

Honorable mention - the first time I punched Bald Bull in the tummy, my first P-Wing in Mario 3, killing Don Barzini in Godfather.

Reactions: Lee
5. Contra: Go through a stage without dying.

Yeah, bring the "n00b alert!" chants, but this for me, was boss. Like IC, I was frustrating myself on the red dot thing, until you realize you had to hit the thing. I got amped up for the next round only to fall off the ground into the water on the first one.

4: Whoop Ash's ass on Gold

This one took a while. I had the damn party underleveled, and carried a shitload of potions, ethers, and anything else. I spent a shitload of pokemoney (or however the hell you say it) and it took me 10 tries to beat the guy.

3: Beat Welcome Home on expert drums in Rock Band with 95%

Good lord, did I love playing this song. Still do, and as I write this, I am singing it in my head. I got so damn hyped that I just took any songs on only to get my ass handed to me on Detroit Rock City...in hard. Then I played it on Medium...and failed it too :(.

2. Pac Man challenge (eat the four ghosts 4 times in a single stage)

The mark out was just the way to getting this thing. I once reached 3 times in a row, then proceeded to MTFO, and almost drop the gameboy. If I only had a gameboy and a pacman cartridge, I'd waste time attempting that achievement once more.

1. Darth Revan!!

Yeah, this topped it off for me. You're at the ship, you're about to get away, and plan your moment of strike, then you're faced with Darth Malak. You got a conversation going, and you're hit with the realization...
You are Darth Revan!
When you see that happening, you just sit there looking at the screen with your rapt attention.

5) Beating Onslaught on Marvel VS Capcom

The people that used to go to arcade's were always surrounding this game. I rarely got to play it without some asshole inserting his tokens without asking. But on one unique occation with my dad visiting from Orlando, at about noon, waiting for the theater to open so we could see X-Men 2, we waited at a completely empty arcade. After nearly wasting $5 , I finally beat that SOB for the first time.

4) Unlocking Mewtwo on Smash Bros. Melee

You had 2 choices. Play VS for an aproximate 70 hours or 700 VS fights. Having other players join would divide the time, but back then I wasn't too high in terms of having company. It took me around 3 months to get it done, and I did it. Too bad I lost. Good thing the fight he appeared again.

3) Kicking Ash's ass in Pokemon Gold

It was like a Money In The Bank cash-in, and I was the champ. I had no idea who the hell was in that cave, and when I talked to him, I was caught in the biggest pokemon trainer battle the franchise offers. A little trickery and some underhanded tactics (I was messing with the cardridge) and BOOM! I beat the allmighty lead character of this semengly endless cartoon.

2) Beating Kain in Soul Reaver (First encounter)

I actually thought I cheated and skipped half the game. Well I was wrong, but the fight has friggin' long. I was supposed to hit him 3 times, but everytime I got close that SOB shocked me back to the Spectral Realm. Eventually I toppled him and acquired the allmighty Soul Reaver. The kick ass light saber like entity attached to Raziels arm and delivered a very cool, electrifying finishing blow.

1) I Beat Dr. Wily In Megaman 6

This was my first game. Me and my dad wasted countless hours playing it. Hurricane George (1998) came to town and blow off the drawer it was in. I cried. 10 years later I get Megaman Anniversary Collection for the Nintendo Gamecube and my game face was on. I started from the beginning. Beating the Megaman game's in succesion. 1,2,3... Eventually I get to Megaman 6. I literally plowed though those damn robots faster than Kane beat Chavo at Wrestlemania. Eventually I made it to the last fight. That damn Dr. Wily. The robot he was in used to scare me. It scared me so bad I thought it was gonna pop out of the shower (weird?). It was a very surreal feeling. After all, this damn game was a huge part of my childhood. The fight started and after an exact decade of frustration, I was able to redeem myself and finally beat the one game that started it all. Did I mark out after that? Fuck yeah I did! I marked out so bad, mom thought I was doing a Rocky impression.
"I DID IT! I DID IT!!"

Reactions: NSL
Hmm, now I've really got to think on this one for it's been a while playing any game. These are not in any order, just as I think of them they will be written down.

Call of Duty- Modern Warfare. At the end of the game you were just shot by the Russian leader, and you think your about to die, you look over and your comrade slides you his pistol. You shoot them!! You bloody survive and took him out. Marked out.

Finding and capturing Suicine in Pokemon Red. Damnit, had to capture a Wobuffet and lvl him up to bout 82 and then after chasing him across the region bout 32 times finally caught him. Mark out? Hell yeah!

Beating Eyedol/Figuring a cheat
In Killer Instinct, the boss was Eyedol. Two headed, two eyed club swinging freak who by stomping his foot regained health. I was playing as Cinder I person who consumed with flames, I was merely practicing my technique so that I would be ready.
Loading stopped and OMG! I was Eyedol vs Eyedol I marked out in the arcade and a crowd had formed. I proceed'd and did good, but at the end he caught me with a upperclub. I fell off the bridge into the lava....Marked out but lost..

I marked out when I beat Eyedol. I was playing KI on the GameBoy, and was playing as Glacius. I was so happy I had made it to the last stage. I had him on the last blow, when suddenly the screen flashed white and Glacius uppercutted Eyedol! He fell down into the acid/lava. I had never seen anything like that before and it was way unexpected. I marked hard.

Excellent idea Lee, now let me ponder this for a moment and come up with a list.

5. Legend of Zelda: LTTP - Defeating Ganon- Hoooo boy, that boss fight had me on the edge of my seat back in the day, and finally figuring out how the hell you were supposed to defeat him took a few tries for me. So as a 8 or 9 year old kid finally defeating Ganon, it was huge for me.

4. Final Fantasy VII - Defeating Sephiroth without Knights of the Round Table Materia - Yeah, go ahead and ask me how many attempts I needed to actually accomplish this feat. Go ahead, I don't have an answer for you as it took me probably a minimum of 150 attempts to finally defeat that bastard. I realize it's more of an achievement then a mark out moment, but I marked out for myself, if that makes sense.

3. Ninja Gaiden (2004) - Defeating Alma the first time - This boss battle was an absolute bitch (literally and figuratively). It was bad enough that Ninja Gaiden wasn't exactly a cakewalk in its own right and the whole level right before Alma was taxing, but then you throw in Alma immediately after this, well needless to say controllers were broken over this boss. Still seeing her get slashed apart and watching her disappear, hopefully for good, awesome moment.

2. Sonic Adventure - Sonic's in 3D! - I admit it, I'm a huge Sonic The Hedgehog mark, I don't care what you think I've been a fan for years, everything from the video games to the comic books to the animated series, I loved it all. So when I finally got my hands on a Dreamcast and the first game I get with it was Sonic Adventure, I'm thinking it'll be your standard Sonic game in 2D. I was wrong, and I'm so glad I was wrong. That game blew my mind when it came to the notion of a Sonic game. It's such a shame that the recent Sonic games have been such crap. Sonic Adventure showed that there's potential for good 3D Sonic games.

1. Final Fantasy VII - Aeris' Death - I know, I know, FFVII was on the list already, but really looking back at it, it was at this critical point in the story that you went from: Hey this isn't a bad RPG, to wanting to murder Sephiroth in every possible inhumane way, for most people anyways. It's a sad mark out moment for them, but I hated Aeris with a passion and Sephiroth was a bad ass so I definitely marked out big time after he cut her down.

1. Final Fantasy VII - Aeris' Death - I know, I know, FFVII was on the list already, but really looking back at it, it was at this critical point in the story that you went from: Hey this isn't a bad RPG, to wanting to murder Sephiroth in every possible inhumane way, for most people anyways. It's a sad mark out moment for them, but I hated Aeris with a passion and Sephiroth was a bad ass so I definitely marked out big time after he cut her down.

Wow!

I just remembered that moment from Final Fantasy VII. I remember watching that part of the game as me and four of my best friends tried to finish the game in the prime of our youths. I remember thinking that from that point on that the game was going to take a very different route towards the end of the game. I was correct and I think that this part of the game was not only important in terms of direction. It was also very important in my liking of the game and one of the reasons that I eventually got hooked on the series. When Sephiroth drives his sword through the top of the head and nails her to the ground, the game just gets better and better. It gave the protagonists brand new drive and really shaped the game.

Great moment, Ty.

5 - FFVII - Defeating Sephiroth with the Buster sword - Granted I had Barret and Red XIII do most of the major battle, but when it came down to Ominislash with the Buster sword, it made me mark out

4 - Sonic The Hedgehog 2,3, and Knuckles - Super Sonic - Gaining Super Sonic on these 3 games made me mark out, it was hardest to do on STH2 due to AI Tails always hitting the bombs, but when I did it I got the mark out moment.

3 - FFVII - Defeating the Emerald Weapon - After so many attempts I finally killed it in just over 20 minutes, I never tried defeating it without the underwater materia though, thats next on my agenda.

2 - FFX - Defeating all the Dark Aeons and Pennance - So much time and effort and in the end a genuine mark out moment. I remember the first time I accidently met a 'Dark Aeon' I was killed instantly. From then I swore my revenge and got it by completly owning the game.

and my number 1 mark out moment.

1 - FFVIII - The Garden Battles - No moment in history has had me marking out in a game more than Balamb Garden vs Galabadia Garden in Final Fantasy VIII. The FMV was fantastic, I loved how you could make the decisions in what you had to prioritize on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back