Top 5 Favorite Local Multiplayer Games

Xemmy

of the Le'beau family
With the expansion of Online gaming, having the friends over to kick each other's asses, or kick ass together seems to be a thing of the past- but the games are still out there and they're still fun. What are your favorites of today and yester-year?

# 5. War of the Monsters- PS2
war%20of%20the%20monsters%20ps2_pc4819_1.jpg
This game was THE SHIT for me when I first got a ps2. A cast of 10 monsters all wrapped around a 1950s horror movie style. The fights were fun, and the destructible environment was new to me back 8 years ago. This is one kick ass game. Sadly, this game was only two-player, even though 4 monsters could be in on a fight.

# 4. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance- Xbox 360 or PS3- FUCK PS2's version
662ypmh.jpg
Coming in at number 4 is a comic book geek's wet dream. Ultimate Alliance had a good roster of heroes, a decent story, and a great time for up to 4 people. Few things are as fun as kicking a guy's ass while playing as Wolverine. The lack of needing a split-screen made this game just that much more fun when playing with friends, and the unlockables were pretty good. Downloadable content helped this game out a bit too.

# 3. Mario Kart 64​
mariokartgz4.jpg
The true blast from the past on this list was one hell of a game, and one of the few games that can be replayed OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. 8 classic characters, 16 tracks, and a fuck load of fun. It's a pick up and play game, and really it's just a strange PG rated version of Twisted Metal. The battle courses weren't bad either, and had up to 4 players, but 2 player racing was the best. My grandma still kicks my ass every Christmas.

# 2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_Players_Ch.jpg

The true game of my teen years. SSBM was the best multi-player game on the Gamecube. The massive 26 fighter roster was mind-boggling with all your favorites from Nintendo. Mario vs. Link vs. Pikachu vs. Samus Aran = Dream Match. I the series in general as a break through for 2-D fighting games as well. 2-D fighters usually consisted of small arenas with only 2 fighters up until the first Super Smash Bros. came out.

The best part of this game was multiplayer being so customizable. You could choose your weapons, and customize between time, lives, health percentage, or coins, give handicaps, choose between teams and free-for-all. This game was the ultimate local player experience.

# 1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-Wii.jpg
One of the few games of this generation of console gaming that still gives you a full local multi-player experience. Good thing too, cause the online lags like a mother fucker.

Brawl is just as good as it's preprocessor in every way, but additionally has superior graphics, costume upgrades, more level, better soundtrack, updated roster with only a few truly missed loses. Another big difference is Smash Balls, giving every character a unique super move. And unlike the last game, no character is a clone of another one. In Melee, Dr. Mario was just Mario in a lab-coat, and Ganondorf had all the same moves as Cpt. Falcon. No such problem in this game. And Sweet Jesus is it beautiful.....

So what are yours? Oh and if you know any good games like this on the PS3 that aren't Little Big Planet and Ultimate Alliance 2, I would be grateful to be aware of their existence.

Got a mix of oldschool and modern in mine.

5. Wii Sports - Wii
At the time it was very addicting, and it was a lot of fun making mii's of all your friends and having everyone play as a mii of themselves at parties. It's lost some its appeal now but remains a very fun modern multiplayer game for all ages.

4. Mario Party - N64
That's right, THE ORIGINAL, as in before all of the insane number of sequels. Granted the rest are fun too, but they went a bit crazy on all those sequels. Anyways, this entire series will always be a staple of gaming parties and the original still stands out as the best in my opinion for being so innovative for its time.

3. Smash Bros Brawl - Wii
Some call it the best multiplayer game out there. If it weren't for a little thing called nostalgia, or how good a couple of other games were for their time, then those people may be right. Smash Bros has gotten better with each title and countless people have enjoyed joining in on the insanity of multiplayer in this series. Brawl (when its development was announced) was the reason I originally wanted a Wii in the first place. Anytime a group of us are bored, "Smash Bros Brawl anyone?" quickly gets asked. Also, who can turn down the chance to prove that Link or Sonic are better than Yoshi or Pikachu? Exactly.

2. Mario Kart 64 - N64
Loved it. The best racing game of all time. Playing four players at once in as many as 16 tracks to pick from was phenominal back in 1997. Mario Kart as a series has tried with each additional entry to outdo themselves but never quite again captured the gold they had in Mario Kart 64. (Wii is the second best though, with its 32 tracks and huge playable cast) Nostalgia and innovation for its time win this game its rank of #2 losing only to....

1. Goldeneye - N64
THE multiplayer game. Nothing will ever top it. Goldeneye was YEARS, heck dang near a decade, ahead of its time. Its graphics haven't quite aged as well as some of us may have liked, but everything else about the game whether its music or gameplay have remained in the 9/10 range after all these years. Even 20+ years from now, people will still be bringing up Goldeneye in the argument for best multiplayer game because of the influence it has had on every single multiplayer and shooter game that came after it. All the shooter games that are out there right now can thank Goldeneye for being part of why they exist.

Granted all of my top 5 entries show my fanboyism of Nintendo, but that may also be due to the fact that Nintendo know how to make the best multiplayer games. I have yet to see anything from Playstation, Xbox, or even Sega back in the day that comes close in a VERY long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back