Too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farlance

Pre-Show Stalwart
So AJ Styles just won the TNA world championship. I got no problem with that but does anyone think that since BFG is the Wrestlemania of TNA that if they were going to do it they should have waited till then? Where was the build to this? He's about to retire, gets a talk from Sting and boom, world champion. I dont know about the rest of you, but i love that buildup like you know you can feel his time coming, and they tease it and all that and work slowly toward it.

TNA has done a great job building this Matt Morgan Kurt Angle feud to where you know its gonna explode and Morgan will be put over big. Even though I don't think Morgan is champ material yet, this feud build up is awesome. I guess I would have felt a little better if Sting got the belt tonight and got something brewing with AJ and then pass the torch at BFG. Yeah its predictable but still more of an exciting title change to me than AJ winning some random fatal fourway at a random PPV that probably had low buys cause this wasn't expected. Im not a pro at this but i think that some predictability gets PPV buys. Like if it was built up for everyone to think tonight is AJ's night I guarantee people would have bought the PPV just to witness that. Look at past WM's We all knew Benoit would win, Mysterio, Batista vs HHH. We were 99% sure we'd see what we been waiting for and that made us want to buy it to witness it. TNA should learn this concept. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks maybe im wrong and by BFG there will be some awesome story going. Any thoughts?

I have mixed feelings about him winning tonight. Don't get me wrong. AJ Styles is one of my favorite wrestlers today and have been waiting to see him as champ again. I get where you are coming from and agree with you.

Hopefully what they end up doing is AJ being upset that Sting walked away from Angle during the match allowing AJ to hit the 450 to win the title and sets up the match between Sting and AJ at BFG having AJ wanting to prove that he deserved the win even if Sting wouldn't have walked away from Angle. This would be the 4th year in a row that Sting has challenged for the title at BFG and would give AJ the chance to be the first person to successfully defend against Sting at BFG.

But who knows. I would also have liked to see Sting win tonight to lose the belt to AJ at BFG, but I guess thats not what we are getting.

I agree that a better build up would have made for a more satisfying finish, but I am happy as hell with the whole PPV I just watched. I really did enjoy the entire thing...well Lashey's boring but besides that. I have enjoyed this more than I have the past few WWE pay per views by far.

I think BFG will be Sting vs AJ, Sting wants that one last chance to show he can hang with the young guys. We will have the last showdown, Champ vs Icon...which I'm assuming will be Sting's last match.

Is it too soon for AJ....no, this should have happened awhile ago, but the wait was still worth it. You can talk as much as you want about WWE's superiority, but tonight was a great show hands down.

side note....I'm bummed that SuperMex kinda wasted his case, damn midget Canadian

AJ winning the strap is loooooong over due and is justified if it would've happened at a house show. But I know TNA will screw this up. IT WILL HAPPEN. Like Madden said, they can't even pick the right girl to get naked in Playboy. So after 7 years of dumb booking, don't expect anything to change now.

Keep in mind that this isn't the first time he won. I think he's a 4 time world champ (or 3)

he won in 2003, 2005 and I think this is the first time since they aired on SpikeTV that he was world champ.

He's 31 now and Rocky Maivia won the world title at age 25. When is it going to be "he's ready".. It's because of his look, stuttering mic skills?

I really hope TNA starts writing the shows a lot better and developing these guys into tstars

I agree that a better build up would have made for a more satisfying finish, but I am happy as hell with the whole PPV I just watched. I really did enjoy the entire thing...well Lashey's boring but besides that. I have enjoyed this more than I have the past few WWE pay per views by far.

I think BFG will be Sting vs AJ, Sting wants that one last chance to show he can hang with the young guys. We will have the last showdown, Champ vs Icon...which I'm assuming will be Sting's last match.

Is it too soon for AJ....no, this should have happened awhile ago, but the wait was still worth it. You can talk as much as you want about WWE's superiority, but tonight was a great show hands down.

side note....I'm bummed that SuperMex kinda wasted his case, damn midget Canadian

Oh i agree that it is not to soon for AJ, just think it could have been done on a grander stage. Its not that WWE is superior, but TNA could learn that its not all about the twists and surprises, and some predictability is not a bad thing. If I thought AJ had a chance tonight they would have had another PPV buy. And you can say big deal one person, but Im sure many people didnt buy for the same reason and that lost revenue adds up. Thats a bigger loss for them than me. I wont loose sleep cause I missed it. What makes WM so popular is how everything culminates from buildup and anticipation. I dont see how this helps BFG be TNA's big show of the year at all doing a huge title change the month before. Kinda makes October's event just another PPV. I'll still buy it but wont be running to my friends saying its a must see either.

Nope, AJ Winning is awesome. Either way, at Bound For Glory, as long as it's AJ VS Sting, I am cool with it. It's time for a fresh face for a while as I am sick of seeing Angle go with the title.

I actually expected Morgan or Angle to win here to continue their story as it was built more than the Sting or AJ story. It's good to see him with the championship but I would have prefered more of a build than what was given. Hopefully they will build more in the coming weeks for a Sting/AJ feud at BFG.

i agree with most here....... i am a wwe mark but AJ was one of the handfull of wrestlers in TNA that made me watch some parts of Impact on youtube(not helping the ratings of competition hahaha).....i mean ive watch this guy for a year now i think and i was really looking foward to BFG because everyone had predicted AJ and Sting..... i thought sting would win tonigt and set up their career vs championship build..... but AJ won the title?!?!?! at a random PPV ????...... whats up with that.....i mean come on....watch wwe and learn that some and most of all greatest 1st title reigns occur at wrestlemania or summerslam of freaking survivor series.... i mean...... Cena... batista....rey rey....Benoit..i mean the best part of the Jeff hardy title hunt was the build up since summerslam to Armageddon......... i mean i ll watch the BFG on youtube but i would have loved to see AJ win the title from Sting at the biggest event of the year

I'm a WWE fan but I watch TNA for AJ Styles. The guy is amazing in the ring and his feud with Sting has been awesome. Not the predictable thing with Sting winning it and passing it to AJ at BFG would've been nice. We would've watched it because we wanted to see the torch actually get passed. We would've wanted to see history happen. As long as BFG has these 2 in the main event, I'm sold. I will def watch it no doubt. As for too soon? Maybe, maybe not. AJ is what a 4 time world champ now? He didn't exactly need it right now, but I am ok with it. It's nice not having Angle as champ!

Assuming that Styles and Sting square off at BFG with the motive of Sting passing the torch to Styles, then I feel putting the title back on Styles last night was too soon.

Now that Styles has the title, passing the torch doesn't seem as important. I think it would have made more sense to have Angle retain last night and then have Sting and Styles go at it at BFG. Let Styles go over there and have Sting come out the following Impact to announce his retirement and put Styles over as the face of TNA. Then Styles could have begun his chase of Angle and the title.

I'm glad Styles has the belt, but I think putting it on him could have and should have been done differently.

No, AJ Styles should definately have NOT won the title at BFG. No Surrender was the perfect time for him to win the title.
At BFG, it seems that Sting will be retiring. Now, I dunno about you, but I think it would be a pretty bad idea to have Sting's last match and AJ's first TNA world title on the same night. So they couldn't have done it there, Sting's retirement would've totally overshadowed AJ's title win.
And he shouldn't have won it after BFG, because Sting's last match was always gonna be a title match. But now they can have a match with mutual respect, rather than Sting vs Kurt Angle which just would've been a mundane heel vs face thing. But no, now we're gonna see TNA's version of HBK vs Flair.

The way this was booked was perfectly done. Now AJ got the title win and celebration he deserved and Sting will get the retirement he deserved without either stealing the other's thunder.

I don't know... I agree with most of you, but you can't count on TNA to do what WWE would do... And I thank them for that...

That being said, I don't have a problem with AJ picking up the surprise title win, but I'm not sure I'd want two faces in the main event of BFG... Unless they officially start advertising it as Sting's retirement match, I don't think many people will be too interested in the main event without some kind of rivalry or hatred between the two... but, people will tune in to see Sting's retirement match... Even though the outcome seems obvious...

Hopefully, they will stack up a good card and maybe announce a few surprises for BFG to raise the buyrate... Like maybe the debuts of Umaga and Mr. Anderson!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back