• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too Many Cocky Heels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any007

Occasional Pre-Show
To me, it seems like there are too many young heels at the moment who are just doing the same thing: young, sometimes rich, spoiled, and/or arrogant. Alex Riley has such a character, and I really don't think we need another one like that now. Just see the list:
Alex Riley
Cody Rhodes
Ted DiBiase
Drew McIntyre (though a bit more sadistic)
The Miz (not rich, but cocky and arrogant)
Jack Swagger
Alberto Del Rio (though not that young)
David Otunga

Though some of them have some specific characteristics, at least Rhodes, DiBiase, Swagger, Riley and Miz are just variations of the same characters. Why don't they differentiate themselves more?SO what u think about that?
If a thread on this topic has already been done,then i apologise.And moderators feel free to delete this thread.

While I agree in principle that there are a lot of cocky heels, but beyond that where is the similarity between The Miz and Jack Swagger. I like both but I don't see how an All American amateur wrestler with a lisp can be considered as essentially the same as a trash talking reality tv star turned pro-wrestler.

I would also add that Riley isn't a heel and Cody hasn't been cocky since he was 'Dashing' and that is like 6 months or so ago.

No not too many cocky heels, too many psychotic, starey, boring moveset heels, all with various degrees of the "taking myself too seriously" bug. I wish we had more cocky heels who got over by sheer arrogance and just being that damn good, HBK and Rick Rude for example. Ziggler had been doing pretty well on that route until the WWE ruined him.

Well i think thats kinda what every heel should be like because if your not cocky well ...................... what are u then some guy who dosnt think he can win. Thats not a heel like personalaty.If u look almost every heel that there has ever been pretty much "garentees" a victory.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well i think thats kinda what every heel should be like because if your not cocky well ...................... what are u then some guy who dosnt think he can win. Thats not a heel like personalaty.If u look almost every heel that there has ever been pretty much "garentees" a victory.

There have been numerous heels that weren't cocky. Mankind when he first burst on the scene wasn't Cocky. The same with Kane. Eddie Guerrero when he was feuding with Rey Mysterios over Dominic wasn't cocky.

I get the OP's point though. It seems most heels today are just "heels for heels sake". Because they are heels, they are cocky. And that's what's supposed to make them heelish. But it doesn't work that way.

Cody Rhodes has that added dimension of being deluded with the Mask, and so is R-Truth with this "little jimmy" angle. CM Punk is far from cocky as a heel too

There have been numerous heels that weren't cocky. Mankind when he first burst on the scene wasn't Cocky. The same with Kane. Eddie Guerrero when he was feuding with Rey Mysterios over Dominic wasn't cocky.

I get the OP's point though. It seems most heels today are just "heels for heels sake". Because they are heels, they are cocky. And that's what's supposed to make them heelish. But it doesn't work that way.

Cody Rhodes has that added dimension of being deluded with the Mask, and so is R-Truth with this "little jimmy" angle. CM Punk is far from cocky as a heel too

Ok your kinda right but what i mean is they all "know for sure" that they will win.But i guess your right they are not all cocky but think most are. Well at least now in days

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:worship:

Cody is Cocky? Right now? Tell that to the self-loathing character he portrays. Yeah Riley had a cocky/arrogant character but he's a face now. I agree with Otunga but he's not that entertaining with it anyway; the cocky "I'm better than you" heel persona is just what most heels go to, some just do it better than others.

Cody basically is still cocky because he thinks everyone else is ugly but at least he also has a character to it which most of the other cocky guys don't have.

Cocky is a human trait.. to be honest.. when a guy like John Morrison is standing in front of a heel.. and he says... I'll beat you.. that's kind of cocky too..

cockiness... confidence... very similar... there's a fine line.. and in each case it could go either way probably. Because your telling me The All American American is just cocky... but not confident? IDK.. I think Jack would tell you different.

Jack would probably be cocky about his confidence actually...

Cocky heels are just basic heels. That's a part of "Heel Tactics: 101." They have to believe in their abilities over anything else. I have no issue with cocky heels, guys like Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger can do a fine job. One issue though, some of the guys you listed on there really aren't cocky, to be honest. Somebody already mentioned it, but Cody Rhodes is in his "deformed" stage right now, he's not trying to be overly cocky. Drew McIntyre also doesn't fit, as he's just not that type of a heel.

The two biggest examples of what you're talking about, in the WWE, are Alberto Del Rio and The Miz. Last I checked, the fans were eating up anything they put out in front of them. They're doing a fine job. I think you over-thought this one.

Cocky heels just seem the easiest way for a superstar to become heel, that's y i see more of them than anything, although i see the best kind of heels as the ones like Christian has become, the kind that blame the fans for the shortcomings and almost look like they are feudiing with the fans every week, i.e. R-Truth, Christian

While it is true that there are a lot of cocky heels right now (by the way, Riley isn't a heel) I think that heels need to be cocky, other wise they just aren't that mean, which they are suppose to be. It wouldn't make a lot of since if a heel cut a promo saying "I have some confidence in my abilities and I could maybe, if I tried, beat John Cena!" They need to be full of themselves, besides since most heels are cocky that not usually their gimmick, like Swagger for instance, his gimmick isn't that he is a cocky heel, it is that he is a former All-American.

I agree completely, I actually just said this in another thread about how I"m glad that Luke didn't win Tough Enough because all he does is play the same damn character as everybody else, witout any of his own personal tweaks, and gets completely praised for his incessantly rehashed persona.

In most cases aren't heels supposed to be cocky? Unless they are a "monstrous" size I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be cocky, it is their "role" so to speak.

Let's look at the last 15 years or so. The cockiest heels were usually the most entertaining and thus, the most featured on TV. The Rock, the New World Order, the original incarnation of D-X, Mr. McMahon, Stephanie McMahon's "Billion Dollar Princess" and the list goes on. The only problem was that some of them were so entertaining that people began cheering for them.

I agree that there are too many and sadly because of this, guys will get lost in the shuffle. This is why Cody changed his character to Dr. Doom comic book villain, because there too many heels already like Dashing. This is something jericho brought up in an interview. It's always good to change up your character because it will get stale after awhile which happens to both heels and faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back