TNA's Use of Their Championships

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
In professional wrestling, holding a championship means different things. A push, story advancement, the wrestler is a proven draw, etc. But what exactly is the right way to use said championships? Should they just thrown from here to there every week? Or should we have to watch the same champion go unbeaten for long periods of time? I don't really know. That's down to personal opinion. One thing I do have to say is that I find TNA's use of the championships to be one of the company's highlights throughout it's near 9 year existence. You get a bit of everything with them. Surprise changes like the one at Cardiff, Wales last year for the TV title. Long, well established runs like Kurt Angle's runs with the World title. Hell, even crappy stuff like the Knockout's Lockbox. Yeah, can't really win 'em all. :shrug:

But I find their use of the belts highly respectable. Especially as of late with their "championships = equal leverage" mentality. The World title itself, since it's 2007 inception, in my eyes, seems more credible than WWE's own World titles. There's an epic feel every single time that belt changes hands. From Angle to Sting, Angle to Joe, Sting to Foley, Angle to Styles, Styles to Van Dam, 10/10/10 and from Jeff to Anderson, there is always that feeling that it was a memorable occasion.

The other titles have also had their moments. The TNA X Division title may not be something to brag about today, mainly because the division's structure is weak, but this is the only non-World title belt to headline a PPV. Not only that, but that very same match is considered the company's best match and an all-time classic. The TNA Knockout's Championship may have the same issues as the X Division title, but this belt proved one thing and it still stands today. Women can kick ass too. Especially TNA's women. The TNA Tag Team Champioships have been solid throughout it's entire existence. Void of make-shift teams through most of it's history, to this day, those belts remind us that Tag Team wrestling is not dead. Not by a long shot. While the TV title is still on proving grounds and steaming from a very slow start, with TNA's mid-card and upper-mid-card as solid as it is, it may be a matter of time before the TV title becomes it's highlight as well. And the TNA Knockout's Tag Team Championships. Well, they... tried. I guess.

Your thoughts on TNA's handling of their championships through history?

TNA's definitely been more respectful to their Championships since it started out in 2002 and progressively treating them worse and worse year by year in my opinion. It's typical for a new company to have "moments" with their belts. TNA has a long way to go and there'll be even more "moments" that are lacking in a company like the WWE for example, not because they're crapping on their belts (which they are) but because they've done anything possible with the titles in the 50 years old history and it's very very hard and rare for them to create a "moment".

I've not watched TNA since the start so I can't really say how they treated their belts over the last nine years, but all of the greatest matches that I've seen on YouTube are for a belt, whether it's the X-Division Title, The World Title or the Tag-Team Championships, so that tells you something.

TNA is more of a pro wrestlingy pro wrestling company in terms of how they do their wrestling and their promos. They keep it old school and I love that. They're not scripted, the wrestlers are given almost all the freedom in the world, they're given basic pointers by management and are not TOLD what to do in the ring, to slow down or pick up the pace, etc. That's why TNA's product seems "alive" in a way, much more energetic and passionate than WWE's emotionless, robotic, rigid snooze fest. That mentality has reflected on how they treat the belts too.

I think they tarnished a lot of them over the last three years. The X-Division Championship slowly lost its sizzle when AJ/Joe/Daniels moved on from the X-Division. The Legends/Global/TV Title has never been important, it was just a belt Booker T made and I still believe to this day that it's unecessary, it's always been just a prop. The KO's title had a lot of downs since 2010 but it could regain some value if Mickie James wins it. The KO Tag-Titles need to go and ... I think they did? Wasn't there some tourney and ... what happened there? I hope they're gone.

The World Title seems to be the one that has been more important than all the rest and its value kept almost intact. Everytime someone wins it he's never held it before, so it makes every title win special. Yes, even RVD.

Basically, TNA has/is doing a fine job at maintaining belt importance, but they could do a MUCH MUCH better job if they decided to put their minds into it. No company seems to give a shit these days and it's a pity.

Well for one they have far too many titles for the size of their roster.

They need to get rid of either the TV or the X-Division title, there's no discernable difference between the two or any true indication which is more prestigious (though you can make an assumption) and they have three womens titles for a womens division containing about five people.

I will say for the most part the heavyweight title is treated right, and aside from all the WWE rejects constantly holding it, their choice of champions are usually decent.

Being a smaller company and without a brand-split, its only natural that TNA's title reigns are longer and more note-worthy. Heck, their secondary male titles get a lot more storyline-focus than those of the WWE. Their world championship is relatively new, but at the same time it holds a lot of pedigree and prestige in the names. Angle. Sting. Joe. Styles. Foley. Van Dam. Hardy. Anderson. All legends or excellent wrestlers and names to carry the title. All tested and marquee names.

While I can't help but feel the post-win glow isn't as well-done as it could be, I lay the blame on the announce team rather than TNA as a whole, as I feel they do a shoddy job.

The TNA Tag Team Championships have been solid throughout it's entire existence. Void of make-shift teams through most of it's history, to this day, those belts remind us that Tag Team wrestling is not dead. Not by a long shot.
If we're only talking about the TNA titles and not the NWA title period, then there's been a few make-shift teams. Hernandez/Morgan, Eric Young & Band, Kurt Angle & Sting (pre Main Event Mafia). NWA, there has been more notable make-shift teams. But yes, generally, the quality of the tag-team division has been consistent and of a high level, with or without comparison to the WWE.

I have been thinking this for awhile. tna title reigns, are normally longer than wwe title reigns. they also always make the win seem really big, and they treat the title like it is the main focus of the show. ive been thinking that tna's title is actually better than wwe's. other than the fact the wwe is bigger.

TNA's definitely been more respectful to their Championships since it started out in 2002 and progressively treating them worse and worse year by year in my opinion. It's typical for a new company to have "moments" with their belts. TNA has a long way to go and there'll be even more "moments" that are lacking in a company like the WWE for example, not because they're crapping on their belts (which they are) but because they've done anything possible with the titles in the 50 years old history and it's very very hard and rare for them to create a "moment".

Perhaps, but instead of approaching the topic you are taking a pot shot at the WWE for no reason. There still are moments in WWE like Miz winning just two months ago. It's about CREATING that moment, no matter what company you are talking about. Even if that kind of moment has been done before, with new characters it can be unique and awesome. As for TNA, while some things have been cool, I don't like when things are overdone. For instance, RVD's win they had confetti come down. Really? I get that it was a big moment, but you take away all the spontaneity of it by doing that. It was on Impact, which we know is taped, but at least TRY to make it seem like it's happening in the moment.

I've not watched TNA since the start so I can't really say how they treated their belts over the last nine years, but all of the greatest matches that I've seen on YouTube are for a belt, whether it's the X-Division Title, The World Title or the Tag-Team Championships, so that tells you something.

TNA is more of a pro wrestlingy pro wrestling company in terms of how they do their wrestling and their promos. They keep it old school and I love that. They're not scripted, the wrestlers are given almost all the freedom in the world, they're given basic pointers by management and are not TOLD what to do in the ring, to slow down or pick up the pace, etc. That's why TNA's product seems "alive" in a way, much more energetic and passionate than WWE's emotionless, robotic, rigid snooze fest. That mentality has reflected on how they treat the belts too.

This is the biggest bunch of crap and I should have stopped reading at this point because of how wrong it is. You speak with such conviction like you KNOW exactly what goes on behind the scenes. In your perception, maybe you see it this way, but you couldn't be more wrong. If you want to believe it's more "alive", power to you, but to make comments that you can't back up like what management tells people to do and the like is plain wrong. First off, EVERY WRESTLING COMPANY HAS A SCRIPT!!! To think that a script isn't written is fucking stupid. You have to know what you need to get across or else you'd just be babbling incoherent nonsense. Well, Pope does work for TNA so.......nevermind lol. Anyway, scripting is not this evil thing you make it out to be. It's a TV show, and shows need a script. That's how it works. Yes, no matter what company you are talking about will have performers that are trusted to work on their promos more and have more carp blanche with them, but it's still performance art. You still have to put together a promo or segment that makes sense, and this takes work. You can't just "wing it". It takes work and practice.

As for the matches, there are two ways to go about it and it's not the "TNA way" or "WWE way". Some performers script out their matches beforehand so as to be perfectionists about the flow and the highs and lows. If done right, it can be a masterpiece this way, but if done wrong, it comes off robotic and the performers look green. A good example of this way is Randy Savage. He was a stickler for detail, so he scripted out his matches. His famous Wrestlemania 3 match with Steamboat was completely scripted out and it is known as one of the greatest of all time. On the other side is the ring general way. This is more the "old school" way and one that I happen to prefer. This is where guys go over some spots before the match and they know the end sequence, but they mainly call moves on the fly. There is a ring general (the veteran of the match) that calls it in ring and guys literally don't know the next move until 5 seconds before. In this way, matches feel more spntaneous and real. Bret Hart went with this style more and you can tell by the flow of his matches.

As far as today, it varies by performer. Most in WWE and TNA use the latter, as the more veteran performer calls out spots as they go. Hell, you can see guys calling out spots if you pay enough attention. This is the preferred way as it allows performers to adapt to the crowd and let the match flow with the crowd reaction. If a match is all scripted out, you can't do that.

Basically, you used a paragraph in a "TNA's Use of Championships" to bash WWE nonsensically and you expect people to listen when you want to praise the company you like? You have an opinion and I respect it, but there's a place for it. This topic was specific and you felt the need to bash WWE which was totally off topic. Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk about the topic at hand which you addressed next paragraph.

I think they tarnished a lot of them over the last three years. The X-Division Championship slowly lost its sizzle when AJ/Joe/Daniels moved on from the X-Division. The Legends/Global/TV Title has never been important, it was just a belt Booker T made and I still believe to this day that it's unecessary, it's always been just a prop. The KO's title had a lot of downs since 2010 but it could regain some value if Mickie James wins it. The KO Tag-Titles need to go and ... I think they did? Wasn't there some tourney and ... what happened there? I hope they're gone.

Very little argument here, though I think the TV title was getting there before Abyss got it. I hate Abyss, so that might play into it, but the AJ/Williams feud was great for it even if I felt AJ shouldn't be in the midcard. The X-Division might be dead at this point, and that is what it is. You can't keep high flying divisions going forever because at some point, those performers get notice and hold bigger belts and thus, it devalues the other division as those who were relegated to it have been shown able to get bigger belts, so why should they waste their time? You have a midcard belt and a top belt and that should work for TNA. The Knockout's belt would be a lot better around Mickie's waist just above her sweet ass but it's been devalued a lot over the past year. The once proud division has hit sort of a stalemate and if they care to fix it, they might bring in a couple of indy women to put on some decent matches with your Mickie's and Saritas and such. The knockout tag belts should just die. They are awful. We agree there.

The World Title seems to be the one that has been more important than all the rest and its value kept almost intact. Everytime someone wins it he's never held it before, so it makes every title win special. Yes, even RVD.

So here's the one issue I have. If the belts were so important, you would BUILD towards a title change and not hotshot it all the time. The Hardy title change was done well, but RVD winning was on Impact while Anderson was an impromtu match with no build. I'm more of a fan of building up to title changes, or at least promoting them. I contend that Anderson's title win would have been better if it was any time other than when it was. Even if it was on Impact (I prefer PPV changes so it makes people WANT to buy the show), you could have given people notice that a title match would happen so they would tune in for that show. Then, more people are watching as you marketed it and after a little more ridicule, Anderson could overcome the odds and win. That would make it seem prestigious. Still, now that guys who aren't Mick Foley are holding the belt, it has regained prestige. As long as Hogan doesn't get his hands on it, capable wrestlers hold it and that's important.

Basically, TNA has/is doing a fine job at maintaining belt importance, but they could do a MUCH MUCH better job if they decided to put their minds into it. No company seems to give a shit these days and it's a pity.

I think the idea of belt prestige is overrated. As the thread starter said, belts are used for different things. If that's the case, how can you expect it to maintain the "same prestige" if it's doing different things for different people. If you like one reason for holding a belt (say recognition of a solid career), then you won't like when a new guy gets the belt in order to solidify his push and get him more over. The thing is, belts will always have multiple purposes and we have to roll with the punches. I don't watch wrestling to examine whether a guy or girl is "upping the prestige" or "lowering the prestige" of a belt. I watch to see athletic actors play out stories that may or may not include a quest for a title which should mean something to said performer. Ultimately, if the performer in question acts as though the belt means something to them and defends it with their life, that says prestige to me. If the performer doesn't care and discards it, that lowers the prestige. To me, it's about what it means to the performer and that's what it should be. Regardless of whether we say "it's a prop", these guys actually work their whole lives to be trusted by their respective company to hold that belt. It means something to them and as long as they respect the business and respect the belt's legacy, I'm cool with it. I haven't seen blatant disrespect, so I think we are doing alright. Still, the knockouts tag team titles have to go and Abyss needs to NEVER touch the World title. Do that and all is right with TNA.

The TNA championship IS more credible then the WWE World titles because TNA has ONE, and WWE has TWO, TNA has no choice but to make the right decsions with theirs, WWE on the other hand can mess up with theirs because they have a second World title running.

Take the WWE Champion and World HW Champion, more times then enough one champion is 10fold more credible then the other, shame but true (Swagger/Cena or Sheamus/Underaker 2010 examples) TNA thou have to have ONE credible champion and when he drops the belt he does so in a manner it makes the next champion the man to beat.

TNA World Heavyweight Championship - For the most part, I think that TNA's done a good job with their World Championship. They've treated it seriously and generally with a lot of respect. To be fair, TNA has only had it's own World Championship for just a little under 4 years and there've been a few snags though that's to be expected. Mick Foley's run with the title was a joke and unnecessary in my view and Samoa Joe didn't really gain anything from being champ. Most of 2010 has been the overall lowest point in the title's history. Styles' run is cut short so RVD can have a run, which turns out to be very mediocre. The title is then vacated for 2 months before Jeff Hardy holds it for 3 months, which was even more of a joke than Foley's run. Mr. Anderson has been champ for about 2 weeks and it just doesn't feel like a big deal. Anderson's been in two tag team main events on iMPACT! since winning the strap, he's been on the losing end both times and he comes across more like a supporting character to Kurt Angle & Jeff Jarrett just as Jeff Hardy came across as a supporting character to Eric Bischoff. So yeah, the TNA World Championship isn't that hot right now in my view.

TNA X Division Championship - In many ways, this title used to represent TNA. It's TNA's first original title and the X Division put TNA on the map. Not every title reign was some long epic but the X Division was highly competitive and most of the wrestlers that long time fans associate with TNA came out of the X Division. Starting around late 2008, the X Division really started to go downhill and it just got progressively worse over the course of the last 2 years to the point where the X Division and the title are hardly even relevant. The talent isn't there like it used to be nor is even a fraction of the company's energy and attention focused on it like it used to be.

TNA Television Championship - I think that this title is just cursed. It's been wallowing in overall mediocrity since it's inception and that hasn't changed. It's gone by a total of 3 names since it was created in October 2008 and it's just been a lame duck title ever since. In 2009, a lot of focus seemed to shift to this title leaving the X Division title really kind of fluttering in the breeze but nothing really worked. Hot workers like AJ Styles and legends like Kevin Nash or Mick Foley were unable to make people give a damn about it. Rob Terry walked around with it for nearly 6 months and it did nothing for his career. Styles carried it after he'd renamed it the TV title for nearly as long and still, virtually nothing came out of it. More often than not, he'd just be shown walking around with the belt on his shoulder. It's a TV title, yet it's hardly ever defended on television. The closest it's come to being relevant is when Douglas Williams won it and he feuded with Styles over it. Abyss has it now so any real prestige it may have gained is pissed away.

TNA Knockout Championship - I've never been a huge fan of women's wrestling but the Knockout Division used to be something TNA could be proud of. It was a legit women's division that had good female wrestlers and they were relevant. There were times that the Knockout Division was the best thing to watch on iMPACT!. From October 2007 to October of 2008, the Knockout Championship mattered and was treated like a serious title. Gail Kim, Awesome Kong, & Taylor Wilde were great champs and they had great feuds and great matches against whomever challenged them. When Angelina Love became champ, it was like someone turned off the lights. I like Angelina Love and all, but it's just that TNA once again stopped putting focus and energy into the Knockout Division, and thus the title and whatever relevance it had died in 2010. It went from being a coveted title in 2007 & 2008 to one with dwindling relevance in 2009 and finally to a hot potato that was traded roughly once a month in 2010.

TNA World Tag Team Championship - Overall, I'd say that TNA's tag titles have remained the strongest titles on the roster since its inception. For me, I think the tag titles really came into their own around mid 2008 when teams like LAX, Beer Money, the Dudleyz, the Guns and others were competing against each other. For much of 2010 though, I think the titles did suffer. Hernandez & Matt Morgan's run was a joke, then Morgan carried the titles around himself for a month, then Eric Young, Scott Hall & Kevin Nash held them. The Guns finally won them and had a great run with them and now they're back with Beer Money.

TNA Knockout Tag Team Championship - Easily the most worthless title on the roster. It's a title that exists for no other reason than to give someone a belt to carry around. It's never been relevant, never been treated like it's relevant and should never have been created in the first place.

In the end, I'm sorry but I just don't see TNA's use of their titles in quite the same glowing light as some others do. For some of their titles, given the amount of time that they've been active, TNA's done a pretty good job in their overall treatment of them. I think most of their titles have taken a big hit over the past year, some of them for longer than that. I think a huge problem is that some people are hung up on how long a person holds a title rather than how they're booked once they have the title. I've seen some transitional champs hold a title for a month and ultimately get more out of it than some champs that've held a title for 6 months. A long run does not automatically equal prestige and credibility in my view.

I disagree to be honest, I find TNA's use of the titles pretty poor at times.

World Title: I have no major problems with the way this is treated, it is supposed to be the top title of the company and the most important thing you can hold and it is treated as such. I love how there is a lot of emphasis currently being put on this title with the titles equal power storyline currently happening. The current title division is fairly strong with the likes of Anderson, Hardy, RVD and Morgan all viable contenders at the moment and the likes of Angle, AJ, Joe and Pope who could step into that picture at any time.

This title is not without it's faults though. I don't like the direspect shown to the title to get a (horrible) new title design and just throw the old one in the bin, although I guess it is a heel thing to do. I also don't particularly like how they have title change on TV/unannounced, RVD and Anderson both won their titles in this way, I feel that if a major title change is going to take place then it should be on PPV where the company can profit from it but again a minor thing.

X Title: This is where things start going down hill. The X Division title is a joke, all it seems to be is heel of the month wins the title and Jay Lethal/Amazing Red challenges for it. There is no interest in the division and there is no heat behind any of the matches simply with the way it is currently booked no one gives a flying fuck about this division or it's title.

Tag Titles: This one is OK at the moment. The Guns had a nice long run with the belts and gave them some real prestige. The matches that are fought over these belts are almost always awesome and that really helps generate interest in these belts. The only thing to criticise it the lack of depth in the division but with The Hardys seemingly teaming up, at least on a part time basis, that should help.

TV Title: The way this title is treated is just awful. Since it's inception this title has gone by three different names, there is no way you are going to build up a title to be prestigious if you cant even decide on a name. Up until recently with AJ/Williams I can't even recall a proper feud happening over this title. There isn;t even really a division for this one, it is just random people get title matches on TV occasionally, that is about it.

Both Women's titles: I will lump these together as they are both in the same boat, they are both shit. I mean look at the way these titles change hands, through opening a box, DQ, the champ not being pinned, people laying down, how do you want people to take the division seriously if that is how the title changes happen? To illustrate just how bad the division is, I don't even know who the women's champ is and I watch TNA weekly.

So overall TNA's use of titles is a mixed bag, the world and tag titles are used fairly well but the other four are treated like shit.

The TNA championship IS more credible then the WWE World titles because TNA has ONE, and WWE has TWO, TNA has no choice but to make the right decsions with theirs, WWE on the other hand can mess up with theirs because they have a second World title running.

Take the WWE Champion and World HW Champion, more times then enough one champion is 10fold more credible then the other, shame but true (Swagger/Cena or Sheamus/Underaker 2010 examples) TNA thou have to have ONE credible champion and when he drops the belt he does so in a manner it makes the next champion the man to beat.

By that logic Gigli is a more prestigious move than The Godfather. The WWE and WHC are titles that have both been around for years with such storied histories, albeit WWE did strip the WHC of it's history before 2002, but it's still FAR more prestigious than the TNA world title. The WWECW heavyweight title was more prestigious, it had a much more storied past, there's just no way a title that's been around for just over three years is going to have more value than the WWE championships.

To quote JR "The title doesn't make the champion, the champion does." I've never watched TNA and only watched it through a WWE's eyes. What I CAN deduce however, is Russo's handling of the titles. He makes them a prop (which is fine, if you are the next Rock, Austin, Hogan, Cena or Styles). But you need to make that prop an important one. I like to think of the title as a murder weapon in a suspense movie. It's a prop, yes, but a very important one. If the movie sucks, the prop's useless, but if it's a movie like "Psycho" the prop is memorable. Who recognizes the knife raised up while Monroe was in the shower? Just a prop. But with amazing actors and a memorable moment. TNA has the potential for that but instead of that, they're making titles, seem like the hammer of Thor (...What? You don't know what that is? )

Which is ALSO fine, but then, the swerves, the twists and the turns make the titles lose their credibility.

Take for example, the THEY storyline in which the stable wants to use the titles as leverage in the court of law...

Seriously?

Titles are important for people to draw, and they can also be used as a prop, but if you want them to be used as a prop make sure the wrestlers who carries that is a bonafide guy. Or who can put on a great fuckin' show as either a wrestler or a promo worker. What you CAN'T have is as the holder of a title is...

A druggie
The druggie's fat brother
A pot smoker (Smoking pot is fine just...I don't think he'll remember he's the champion.)

If they hold the title, they should advance a storyline, and they should do it FLAWLESSLY. But they don't. So they can't.

That is why TNA championships are worth a dime as of 2011.

Well here's my opinon.

World Title-Doing somewhat good but I don't think they're paying much attention to it. They're just using it as a prop to any main-eventer. A.J probably had the best run with it then it went downhill ever since. Anderson is okay with it. It just doesn't mean anything especially when htis is the first world title in his career. Welll I can't criticize for a title he only had for a week. Alll the great stars at one point seemed "green" wen they won their first world title.

TV Title- The TV Title has lost it's prestige, really. There's not really any division but the guys that they can't use that aren't in the Main-Event. I felt it wa sa good concept given that not every mid-carder fits the size requirements or ability of the X-Division and there's some upper-card that could use a title but now I see it as useless. It's just there not really doin anything.

X-Diviision: Ok first they need to rebuild the division. There's alot of indies high-flyers they can used. When I first started watching TNAin 08 I was amazed by the X-Division. way more excited by WWE's highflyers and that was then wer ethere Division had over 10 wrestlers where there was always going to bea different face every week but the Division started falling during the M.E.M. storyline and now there's really no division but two competitors fighting over the title.

Tag Team Titles: Like many have said before in this thread. This title has probably kept it's prestige throughout the running. The only problem is lack of Tag-Teams. Most of the tag teams that are currently going half of them were in the X-Division so now that they're kind of killing off the X-Division to make room for the Tag Team it's hard at this point.

Knockouts-The Knockouts Division has died. No intenstity into it but a few good feuds but they need more wrestlers. In the past TNNA had so many Knockouts that hey could literally have Knockouts Battle Royals. Now there's only 10 Knockouts few of which can't wrestle. I suggest taking a shot at SHIMMER to get some wrestlers or find some retired girls that may want to come back into the ring.

Knockouts Tag Titles-I knew form Day one that these titles weren't going to work. It's a good diea but I just kept thinking in my head that they don't have enough Knockouts for both titles. They're just props and just another way of TNA saying "we're doing something that WWE didn't"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back