TNA Region, Shanghai Subregion, First Round: (12) Billy Graham vs. (21) Bobo Brazil

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Billy Graham

• Bobo Brazil

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Shanghai Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Shanghai Indoor Stadium in Shanghai, China.

234381250_122b7c6bf4.jpg

1.jpg

#12. Billy Graham

Vs.

brazil.jpg

#21. Bobo Brazil

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I always see the old time wrestlers in this tournament get defended about how great they were compared to their modern era opponents and how they get underrated in a tournament like this, but Bobo Brazil is never one of those guys that people defend and I don't get it. Brazil rarely lost, he won tons of titles throughout his illustrious career, and he defeated some of the biggest names of the time period. He defeated the likes of the Original Sheik, Killer Kowalski, Dick the Bruiser, Gene Kiniski, Giant Baba, Buddy Rogers, and many more. Even though the reign isn't officially recognized by the NWA he did defeat Buddy Rogers to become NWA champion in 1962 (Rogers claimed to be injured so Bobo wouldn't accept the title but eventually was forced to take it after it was found Rogers faked the injury). Bobo Brazil was more then just the guy to really break down the color barrier in terms of becoming a star in professional wrestling. He was a huge success regardless of race.

Billy Graham is no slouch either. He was one of the first real "characters" in wrestling with his charisma. He was also a big success with his biggest achievement being his win over Bruno Sammartino for the WWWF title. As big of an accomplishment as it is, let's not forget Bruno was towards the end of his career and Graham was just the guy to hold the belt until they found another top baby face, Bob Backlund in this case, to take the title. Graham did keep the title longer then any other heel ever has so it was definitely big, but I don't think it trumps the overall quality of Bobo's career. Let's also not forget Ivan Koloff ended Bruno's first reign and Koloff isn't even in this tournament.

Overall both guys should really be in the second round but I think Bobo had the better career overall and as the baby face I believe he would be booked to go over.

Many consider Hulk Hogan to be the greatest of all time right? Right. Some even say, Scott Steiner was very entertaining, too. Same goes for pretty much every muscle bound pro wrestler from the mid 70's forward. Who inspired that look?

The REFLECTION OF PERFECTION. SUPAHSTAHH BILLY GRAHAM.

Just his influence on the business alone puts him over Bobo. I don't know a whole lot about him, but I know enough about Billy Graham to know he'd get one over on Brazil.

The MAN OF THE HOUR, TOO SWEET TO BE SOUR!

Many people will point to Graham's innovation for making him the blueprint for the modern wrestler, and that's fair enough. However, Brazil did something that makes me proud to be in the wrestling audience - and that's become a market success in a largely white dominated sport whilst being black. WWE's audience got behind him, and that speaks volumes of the man.

This was a toss up for me so I went with Graham based on the fact that he was the originator of what we are used to as far as wrestling characters go. Brazil had a great career, but Graham has the edge with me jsut by a bit, and moves to the second round.

Both innovators, both accomplished, both huge draws. Both kayfabe strong.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Superstar still has the longest heel WWF/E title reign in history? That accomplishment is slightly diminished by it being Graham's sole title reign, but still you'd expect an elite face to be the one to stop him. It's possible that Bobo fits the bill, he's beaten people as good certainly.

Usually when it's this close I'd look at who the likely second round opponent is and consider what the logical booking would be. Here, it looks certain to be Harley Race, a man whom has history with both. Harley was predominantly a heel, so Bobo is perhaps the more fitting choice. That might convince me, other than a champ v champ rivalry with Graham giving that potential match some build too.

Pretty tempted to just flip a coin or vote for the guy that is currently losing. I think I'm gonna go with Superstar though, for the sole reason that Race Vs Graham sounds like a bigger draw in the second round to me. It's a shame Bobo has to go home first round again, but unlike Rey Mysterio last year I don't think it's a mistake this time. Very happy if he gets a late vote rush and gets through though, you CANNOT go wrong here

Very tough choice here. I was very close to voting for Bobo but decided to give it to Superstar instead. I just picture the sneaky and charismatic heel cheating his way to a first round win. In a match that could go either way I see Bobo as the more likely one to take a first round loss.

I'll be honest, I love Graham. The dude would sweat personality and shit charisma. As someone said, the longest heel World Champion in the history of WWE. And so much fun to watch in the ring.

Bobo deserves all kinds of respect for what he did as a black athlete. But my pure, unashamed bias towards Graham is going to win out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back