• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Pulled A WCW Tactic Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

presto

Occasional Pre-Show
TNA Pulled A WCW Tactic Last Night with the AJ Styles decision making process as he was surrounded by Kurt Angle and Christian Cage when they pulled the common WCW trick of '..oh, we're out of time..' tactic.

I was hoping that TNA would not stoop to this 'low' but they did and I will probably not be watching the program any more. I felt like they promised a decision by Styles and did not deliver.

Like Konnan said in his last 5150 show, in reference to the haliburton briefcases and finding out at the PPV who won what and then being told that it would be revealed on the next Impact

bait and switch.....

it's not the first time to my knowledge that TNA has done this. WWE hasn't been much better either. But yeah, TNA is going so WCW that it's not even funny. I have said it on posts before that I have no idea what they're doing and I don't think even they know. More talent than they know what to do with literally and crappy promos and storylines and match quality being overshadowed by all of i t

TNA Pulled A WCW Tactic Last Night with the AJ Styles decision making process as he was surrounded by Kurt Angle and Christian Cage when they pulled the common WCW trick of '..oh, we're out of time..' tactic.

I was hoping that TNA would not stoop to this 'low' but they did and I will probably not be watching the program any more. I felt like they promised a decision by Styles and did not deliver.

Like Konnan said in his last 5150 show, in reference to the haliburton briefcases and finding out at the PPV who won what and then being told that it would be revealed on the next Impact

bait and switch.....

Why is this a bad thing? At least it's not another DQ or run in finish to screw up the main event as you'll fine on most rasslin programs now a days anyway. This "new Low" you speak of is the same tactic that helped Nitro beat Raw for 82 straight weeks in a row. It's a formula with a proven track record, so why not use it? It's a cliff hanger ending, that's what the business needs at this point, something to make you want to tune in next week.

I don't understand when people think World Championship Wrestling was a complete failure. Like Conspicuous Asparagus said, at some point, Nitro was ahead of Monday Night Raw for 82 straight weeks in the ratings. If it has worked well in the past, why not try it again?

I agree with ImpactPlayer27 in saying they have bad promo's, but they aren't the primiere brand of wrestling; WWE is, whether all of us like it or not. TNA has grown so much since it started years ago, and you can only think that they're going to continue growing.

TNA is still a young company, nowhere near WWE's level though. I enjoy TNA, and think it will one day give WWE a run for their money, but that time is not quite here yet.

They have a TON of talent, and the experience on the roster is perfect, but they need to establish themselves even more before they get to the level that we fans hold the standard at. It'll get there, just takes time. WCW beat Raw in the ratings for a LONG time, as has already been mentioned. Maybe taking a page or two out of there book isn't such a bad idea!

If WWE Raw went head to head with iMPACT, surely I think Raw would top over TNA. Yes, TNA is in fact very exciting, it seems more people like the WWE more. Now that TNA has switched to 2 hours, it hasn't seen much of an improvement on ratings. So I agree with impactplayer27, if they need improvement on raitings, why not take some stuff from the company who beat the WWE so many times?

TNA taking a page out of WCW's playbook is fine with me for two reasons.

It's proven that people who see a cliffhanger, want to see the end of it. It's adds something that make people want to see the next episode. thus drawing more ratings for the next show.

Two TNA has been around for more than five years now, and there going on six June of next year. In those five, going towards six years, they've done everything they could just to get a TV deal, just to survive that deal falling through, just to go to the brink only to be saved by Dixie Carter. (who all TNA fans should thank every Thursday for keeping the show alive)

The point is everything that they put in that TNA ring from day one was awesome, and still is awesome to this day, but TNA can't just survive anymore, they have to fight for more. They fought for getting TNA out of Orlando, they fought for the two hour deal, and sooner or later they'll fight WWE for the number 1 spot in the wrestle business.

I think the original poster had it right with the bait and switch idea. WCW pulled this off when they had a product that was on top and people were hooked. When you are a struggling brand promising one thing and then not delivering will lose you more fans than you gain. When you are on top you can do nothing wrong and you can get away with a lot of stuff but if you aren't you have to be very careful about giving the fans what you advertised because they'll lose trust and interest in the brand and will stop watching.

This is really the least they've acted like WCW in the last 3 years. Have you guys noticed that they hire everyone WWE lets go? Have you noticed how they bring in the C list celebrities/athletes? Have you noticed who's booking the show?

TNA is acting like WCW ... because that's exactly what they want to be. Since they got the Spike deal they have done absolutely everything in their power to copy exactly what WCW did. Sign every WWE name ... push them to the moon, and bury all of your young talent. If you didn't notice until the last Impact then I don't know what you've been watching.

It's funny when you think back about how much of a little baby Jeff was when Hogan wanted to pin him in WCW. He basically shit on every WCW fan and instead of having a match where he lost to Hogan ... he cried about it and laid down. Wheter that was a shoot or not ... you know Jeff was crying about it in the back. Now he's doing the exact same thing to the young guys in TNA. "Sorry AJ ... I know you have more talent in one boot than I had in my entire life ... but I need yout to lay down." "Sorry Alex, I know you're better on the mic than anyone here, and you're one of the few innovative wrestlers left ... but just go out there and have a four minute tag match."

I just want TNA to die so these great talents don't waste their career's waiting for their chance like so many did in WCW. Look at guys like Eddie, and Chris Jericho. They wasted their prime waiting for a spot, and then barely got a run. Don't wanna see that happen to guys like AJ, Homicide, Shelley, etc. At least they can waste their careers wrestling the indys ... instead of sitting in the back praying to get 5 minutes on TV.

Yeah Nitro beat Raw 82 straight weeks...unfortunately, they got beat 122 straight weeks after that. And it didn't stop because they won a week, it stopped because they were bought out by WWE. So for everything WCW was doing right, it sounds like they were doing a lot more wrong.

Anyway, yeah, that's garbage writing that reeks of desperation...you're going to flat out lose viewers with that crap and you're going to alienate the ones that do stick around.

um guy just so you know. jeff jarrett was supposed to keep his title that night. it was hogan that did all the politics and crying. he is the one that pulled the creative control crap. you can not blame russo and jarrett for doing what they did. hulk hogan is a politicing peace of garbage

TNA are trying to do a cliffhanger storyline.Just like WWE did with McMahon Bastard storyline.Hell if it works why not?If it keeps people watching why not?TV shows do it every week and you dont complain.So if Tv shows can do it why can,t wrestling?

I don't understand when people think World Championship Wrestling was a complete failure. Like Conspicuous Asparagus said, at some point, Nitro was ahead of Monday Night Raw for 82 straight weeks in the ratings. If it has worked well in the past, why not try it again?

I agree with ImpactPlayer27 in saying they have bad promo's, but they aren't the primiere brand of wrestling; WWE is, whether all of us like it or not. TNA has grown so much since it started years ago, and you can only think that they're going to continue growing.

he is a wwe mark they do not fully understand that WCW was bought out coz Vince had got Big Show and Chris Jericho in WWE and Raven had left and he let go of Chris Benoit,Perry Saturn and Eddie Guerrero but if Vince didn't do that WCW would still be here ! WCW destroyed WWE for 83 weeks str8 so TNA will reach there evidently soon enough if they can get Ted Turner to buy them out you will see many wrestlers going there as an alternative and better pay rate !!

Luckily I didn't watch but TNA has been pissing me off lately with their lack of direction with pretty much everything. That whole breifcase thing completely made no sense to me and with their track record any cliffhanger isin't worth waiting for because as soon as they can sign a WWE reject they wiil and then scrap any plans that they had just to push whatever WWE reject they acquired.

um guy just so you know. jeff jarrett was supposed to keep his title that night. it was hogan that did all the politics and crying. he is the one that pulled the creative control crap. you can not blame russo and jarrett for doing what they did. hulk hogan is a politicing peace of garbage
Yeah I know but it still doesn't matter. Hogan wanted to go over, so rather than give up a title that means absolutely nothing, THIS IS A BUSINESS NOT A SPORT, he decided he'd rather be a cry baby and lay down, and make wrestling as a whole look HORRIBLE. Jeff has been a cry baby his whole career. He cried about his push in WCW so he left for WWF, then he cried about his push in WWF, so he went back to WCW, then he cried about Hogan wanting to beat him. Just like I'm sure he cries every time The Motor City Machine Guns get a bigger pop than he got in his entire career.

Jeff Jarrett wanted to be Jerry Lawler. He wanted to be Ric Flair. He wanted to win a 100 titles, and have everyone say how great he is. He got in wrestling to politic, and cry his way to the top, and now that he's an old dried up turd he's bitter and he's holding other guys down.

I think that TNA is getting a lot of unnecessary comparisons to WCW. I like to look at it as something original, not something rehashed. If you repeatedly look at it as "oh, they stole that from WCW" or "oh, they're trying to be like WWE" it will never seem fresh. This is the exact sort of thing that is not helping TNA succeed....the fans who think of it as "the new WCW." I think everybody should grow up and realize that wrestling is entertainment and it is meant to be seen as such....the over-analyzing takes the magic away and the entertainment value away. Grow up already. And think, WCW stole a lot of WWE's top stars in the 1990s. Hogan, Savage, Nash, Hall, Luger...these were all guys who were at the top of their game before making the jump, not B-list stars or "rejects" like everybody says is happening with TNA signing Angle, Booker, Cage, etc. I like to think their careers have improved since making the jump, because now they actually have to fight for ratings and fight for a "new" fan base to accept them.

That whole AJ decision thing was ridiculous! It could have been so much better, why didnt TNA just have AJ say "you will know at final resolution" because thats obviously wheres it going! It was horrid though the whole out of time thing it was a huge low for TNA at that moment i hope they dont pull anymore!

The glory days of wrestling had these long drawn out, but interesting storylines. I hope TNA can get back to creating these storylines with direction. I dont mind the "out of time crap" if its truly interesting. But not every impact can end like that, they need some explosive endings to keep viewers and ratings throughout the show. They are only hurting themselves as their biggest goal should be drawing more fans and generating excitement. They have all the talent they need to do it, just need better direction. and PLEASE do not forget about the concept of TNA - Total Nonstop Action...with the talent and athleticism they have, they cannot get caught up in the promo game. Not everyone can have a promo all the time - stick to wrestling

ive tried being a fan of TNA...but failed because week in week out it doesnt seem to improve...they rush storylines,promos,etc. and confuse the hell out of me...they need to focus on guys like samoa joe,aj styles, christopher daniels,kaz get rid of vince russo...come up with more creative,witty, storylines....

Yeah, with impact ending with a cliff hanger was a bit disapointing. However, we all watched the entire two hours to see what would happen. Right now TNA is experimenting with different formulas to get higher and consistent ratings. Should they pull from WCW or WWE? Well it is a wrestling company and there isn't much reference material out there.

In my opinion, TNA needs to stay as different as possible and only revisit WCW or WWE type programing when it is appropriate.

In many aspects they are doing that and in other ways they are dropping the ball. I am a fan but I don't expect perfection every week. I stopped watching Smackdow and ECW because I don't care about what goes on. With TNA they got my attention.

Is there bad writing? yes, but that will improve when they fing their formula.
Bad booking? only on paper, most TNA matches are miles above anything WWE puts on these days, even their PPVs.

Lets let the old days and the monday night wars stay in the past and lets watch something new happen.

Yeah, with impact ending with a cliff hanger was a bit disapointing. However, we all watched the entire two hours to see what would happen. Right now TNA is experimenting with different formulas to get higher and consistent ratings. Should they pull from WCW or WWE? Well it is a wrestling company and there isn't much reference material out there.

In my opinion, TNA needs to stay as different as possible and only revisit WCW or WWE type programing when it is appropriate.

In many aspects they are doing that and in other ways they are dropping the ball. I am a fan but I don't expect perfection every week. I stopped watching Smackdow and ECW because I don't care about what goes on. With TNA they got my attention.

Is there bad writing? yes, but that will improve when they fing their formula.
Bad booking? only on paper, most TNA matches are miles above anything WWE puts on these days, even their PPVs.

Lets let the old days and the monday night wars stay in the past and lets watch something new happen.

I think TNA should pull from the WWF Attitude Era more than anywhere. Most WWE fans who remember the Attittude Era are dying for something in Wrestling to change back to this style of booking and feuds/factions, ect. If TNA could capture a little bit of that style in their broadcasts, with the amount of talent they have and matches they put on, they could win over a ton of fans from WWE. I agree to stay away from Monday Night Wars as it is evident that money in this case would win out, but building (consistant) ratings is everything right now for TNA and IMO this could help.
I completely agree that matches are miles above WWE - off the top of my head, the Kaz-Angle, Kaz-AJ, Machismo-Sonjay, Daniels-Senshi, and any MCMG & LAX match on Impact are way above MOST PPV matches and Tag Matches in WWE

it's not the first time to my knowledge that TNA has done this. WWE hasn't been much better either. But yeah, TNA is going so WCW that it's not even funny. I have said it on posts before that I have no idea what they're doing and I don't think even they know. More talent than they know what to do with literally and crappy promos and storylines and match quality being overshadowed by all of i t

WWE did it because they were out of time. One big example that I could remember is the Bret Hart-Shawn Michaels promo that led to Hart being super-kicked into his own wheelchair. The kick wasn't shown until the recap shows and then the next RAW.

Yes, TNA booking is craptacular. But lets also keep in mind, WCW booking from 1989 to 1996 was crap until Bischoff finally found the niche he was looking for in the nWo.

He was a major player his whole career, selling out arena, after arena. when you have hogan on TV, who you going to watch?...Jason Sensation...Nope!!! (He was drunk at the TNA Oshawa house show $2/impression) Point being, when, red & yellow turned black, people saw that hogan was being booed all over the place, debris in the ring, a fresh face every week joining the NWO, You tuned into Nitro!

TNA don't stand a chance! (Kurt Angle selling Poloroid pictire for $20...lol)

Yeah that bothered me the were running out of time thing. As a viewer it just really pissed me off instead of making me want to tune in next week.

It's like why would try to get their own viewers to tune in next week if they are watching now? They should put on a great product and just assume they will tune in next week - i mean their ratings have stayed 1.1 1.2 1.0 for like the last month. So surely they know nothing changes?

But meh, it's a tried a proven technique that i'm sure WCW didn't start and TNA won't end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back