TNA Heel Stables Always Non-American?

FiveTymeWCWChamp

Occasional Pre-Show
Why are all the heel stables all non-American? Mexican America, British Invasion, etc. How many minority faces are there in wrestling. Except for X-Division/Cruiserweight, most minorities, or non-Americans (Canada is on a whole other level) in the main event picture are heels. Is that the only way to get them over? I am not screaming racism because just as many? Is the cheap heat/ anti-USA heel the only way to go with these guys?

The same thing happens in the WWE.

I am just wondering what y'all out there think?

It's not exclusive to TNA (or even WWE). "Foreigners" playing the injustice card is a classic heel/face tactic. Works even better when we're at war with or involved in conflicts of interests with a nation a wrestler is claiming his/her heritage from — think Iron Shiek with Iran, Nikolai Volkoff with the old CCCP/Soviet Union, Muhammad Hassan and Sheik Abdul Bashir with the Middle East, etc.

It just works, man. It's easy to get US fans to chant for a US-native, or someone portraying them. It's classic comic book-style booking/writing.

That's why you see things work this way. That's why you tend to see non-Americans running heel stables. It just works. Yes, it's xenophobic, but it works.

TNA heel stables are not always non america. Planet Jarrett, Sports Entertainment Xtreme, Main Event Mafia, Immortal, not all unamerican heel stables throughout TNA history,

That damn non -american Hogan and Bischoff. Who the hell do they think they are. Going over to the good ole' u s of a and taking over. Damn them all to hell. Thank god fortune with Robert Roode is there to stop them...

All joking aside, it's the way wrestling has worked for decades, and will continue to do so. It fucking annoys me, at a brit, that any non north american is immediately a heel. But thats how it works.

Edit: just in case people didn't understand the point made, despite being billed from New York, Roode is Canadian (non american). I'm sure I didn't need this edit for the majority but I know some twat will say "But Roode is American, what's your point?"

Yeah even when fortune was part of Immortal, the only who was a foreigner was Robert Roode. As IDR said, it might be xenophobic but it works. By the way do you really think they hate America so much? For christ's sake they are paid in american dollars.;)

Xenophobia is such an easy card to play. It works because it plays on so many angles. When done correctly, the emotion that foreign stables play on are second to none. Iraqi sympathiser Sgt Slaughter just worked against Real American Hulk. Likewise, Muhammad Hassan worked because of the tense Arabian political situation of the time.

TNA hasn't really been around long enough to play off this but I did always enjoy Team Canada because they were supposed to be a stable of elite athletes who were very close and just happened to be Canadian. Their greatest tag foes just happened to be AMW who had the cowboy gimmick and were just a natural face against the cocky "foreigners".

The World Elite stable also had a lot of potential as their raison d'etre never got fully explored. They got screwed over by TNA.

Its a easy creative tool that even Vinny Ru can use. Find foreign accents, shake, stir and serve. Shame because none of the Horsemen were not foreign.

EVERY STABLE? What rock are people living under these days. I hope you mean how foreigners are always heels and are crammed into stables. Well why not? They draw heat don't they? They get the U.S. crowd to chant "U.S.A." don't they? They get the faces over y relatively easy, right? What? You're bored with it? Shame. Because the live crowds aren't.

It's a very simple formula that puts everyone over easily with very popular results. Why not exploit it?

I actually cannot stand Mexican America to the point I that I change the channel. Maybe because I'm chicano who loves both sides of ancestry but every time Mexican America come out I bitch and flip the channel back and forth to see if they're gone.Is IW trying to insult my people?If they want Mexican heels that's fine but have the faces pick apart something besides their ethnicity.Token green card joke despite the fact that Hernandez was born in Texas of Chicano anscestry.Hell Chicano is the Spanish term for someone born in USA from Mexican parents.It makes the faces look dumb and ignorant.

lazy writing - it is easier to use the foreign angle to make them heels. team a and team b go out to the ring. team a says they are the best but they are being held back(just held back, they don't give a reason). team b says this is america where you earn your opportunities and if you don't like it, you can leave. who do you think will get the cheer in the States? you have 2 american teams and the angle doesn't work but you make one foreign and you have an automatic storylike with the american team as faces. look at the recent british invasion/mexican america angle. mexican america does their bit, british invasion do a little sucking up to the american audience and they get the cheers. i think tna, and other companies, would be in for a shock if they ran more shows outside of the States on a regular basis. Can you imagine what would happen if they ran a month's worth of shows in Canada, or in Europe, and had to adapt to the audiences?

I actually cannot stand Mexican America to the point I that I change the channel. Maybe because I'm chicano who loves both sides of ancestry but every time Mexican America come out I bitch and flip the channel back and forth to see if they're gone.Is IW trying to insult my people?If they want Mexican heels that's fine but have the faces pick apart something besides their ethnicity.Token green card joke despite the fact that Hernandez was born in Texas of Chicano anscestry.Hell Chicano is the Spanish term for someone born in USA from Mexican parents.It makes the faces look dumb and ignorant.
Maybe the fact Hernandez is as Mexican as the Hawaiian Punch cartoon that screws this up. Mexican America was a good concept spun into stupidity simply because the proud Mexican never bothered to learn his own language. Thing about them, this was sadly pitched by Hernandez himself and became an excuse to make a tag team out of it. :shrug:

lazy writing - it is easier to use the foreign angle to make them heels. team a and team b go out to the ring. team a says they are the best but they are being held back(just held back, they don't give a reason). team b says this is america where you earn your opportunities and if you don't like it, you can leave. who do you think will get the cheer in the States? you have 2 american teams and the angle doesn't work but you make one foreign and you have an automatic storylike with the american team as faces. look at the recent british invasion/mexican america angle. mexican america does their bit, british invasion do a little sucking up to the american audience and they get the cheers. i think tna, and other companies, would be in for a shock if they ran more shows outside of the States on a regular basis. Can you imagine what would happen if they ran a month's worth of shows in Canada, or in Europe, and had to adapt to the audiences?
Yeah, this has always worked regardless. When a foreign stable shows up in their home country they always play to the crowd. The best example being The Hart Foundation.

Well first of not every stable that have been in TNA are foreigners. MEM, Fortune, Immortal etc are not foreigners. But if you mean why are most foreigners heels well it's simply due to lazy booking. It's easy because a foreigner can easily bitch about USA and can say that USA sucks and they'll easily get over as a heel and get a USA chant because nobody likes it when someone says bad things about where they're from.

its a easy way to get good heel heat on a stable plain and simple but theres been plently of heel stables in TNA/Impact Wrestling that werent not americans like Jarretts Army,Main Event Mafia,Immortal,Fortune (when they were heel)

I look at it this way (even though I couldn't care less about the rivalry), If you are born and raised in Boston as a huge baseball fan... will you cheer someone that is always saying how great the Yankees are? and why the Red Sox are sub-par?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back