• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Has Become a Shell of its Former Self

Odisho

PISTOL PETE
I am a big TNA supporter but this year esspeecially after watching hardcore justice. TNA right is like WWE's PG era commpared to attitude. TNA is so crappy now. EVERYTHING changed since I fell in love with TNA in 2005. And not in a good way. They were okay up to late 2009.

Ever since ric flair came to TNA and alligned with AJ styles. Everything started to crumble. Matches are horrible. Tag, X, and KO division fell flat. Took away 6 sides. Took away the origional TNA set. Signed a bunch of non talented wresstlers. And Now when I see TNA I see BLUE.

Why did they change it too blue. RED was TNA colors.

I'm not just talking about colors andd such.

2011 aand 12 were acrually really great years. But since 2013 TNA has become horrible. They don't have as good matches anymore. And the Booking is just awful now. Scrap the A8 and scrap the new MEM. Put AJ styles back on top. And let him build your back ffro where Hulk hogan or who ever is in charge buried it.

Remember TNA cross the line. Don't you guys miss that TNA?

I think TNA's decision to try and expand is what became its downfall. It is best to relate TNA to a mom and pop kind of store. They had their own unique brand that provided some different aspects of a well known product but they were unique. Then they decided one day that it was time to expand and compete against Walmart. They changed a lot of their product to "compete" with the biggest brand around and were not successful in doing so. When they finally realized they were not doing anything to improve their business it was too late and the wheels began to fall off financially.
TNA should have kept everything that made it different and be content with the notion that they were not going to compete with the WWE. They provided audiences with a complimentary product that was fun to watch at times. Now the roster is visibly smaller and has a lot less talent. The best talent they have is under-utilized and overshadowed by guys that already had their day in the sun. I think TNA should scrap everything and shut down for a few months. Then they should bring in an entirely repackaged brand that has a clear direction for the future. TNA won't ever compete with WWE and Dixie was foolish to think that was possible (same goes for Hogan). A complete remodeling of the product with new faces and a clear direction would truly work best to salvage the company.

Oh Jesus Christ, not this broken record again. Let me guess. You want more X Division matches. More focus on Tag Team. Am I right? Why ask? I know I'm right.

It's apparent that you people seem to have lost focus or never had it to begin with on the concept of trying to become a success. You people moan so goddamn much about how TNA "has lost it's old ways" you seem to ignore it went from 1000 people and free admission to 3000 with paid admission this year. That and of course the truly bizarre fact that an 11 year old company had old ways to begin with. If TNA is truly a shell of it's former self, then why the hell is it in higher stock now than back then? "Oh the matches are bad." What broadcasts have you been watching lately? Can't be TNA. We've been getting some very solid stuff on Impact week after week in the ring. Oh, shit duh. The ring doesn't have 6 sides. It's not red. The wrestlers are over 6 feet instead of under. It's not the same. Oh cry me a fucking river. If you miss the TNA that only had 900 people in their shows and their shows duct taped by AJ, Daniels, Joe and Sabin while Jarrett hogged the NWA title, go sit on Youtube and shut up.

What are you talking about? TNA's storylines have become better and their ratings are the same if not more that they were getting in 2009.

They don't have good matches anymore.

You're saying this literally four hours after TNA had an awesome match packed card. I won't even argue with the crap you just spewed. TNA ain't whistling while it walks but it sure as hell isn't a shell of its former self.

2009 called, it wants its criticisms back.

I think TNA are doing it right with these PPV themed impact. They really seem like a big show as opposed to usual impacts. Today's Steel Cage match actually felt like a big match which are rare in TNA.

Can't help but wonder if people would be saying this if the ratings were going up. It seems like everyone's opinions of the product is really based on that. Nobody thinks for themselves anymore.

The company has grown, but I ask do you really think that was because of the introduction of 4 sides and the January 4th Hogan/Bischoff disaster? Because if you do you need a reality check. TNA grown significantly in 2009 to the point were TV ratings were steadier than they are now. They were on the right path. I'm not saying they're on the wrong path now, but they certainly have alienated a lot of there fan-base that they grew in 2009 with the whole disaster that was TNA in 2010. Now seriously, did you actually enjoy watching them clustered ring segments with a like 30 man faction that clearly was WCW-like? If so, you have bad taste, in everything.

TNA in 2005/06 was its best time as a product. They were unique, special, different and that is what I look for in wrestling. Same reason Chikara was so amazing to me. I hate that argument that 'oh it is more successful now therefore it is a better product'. If that is the case I should stop watching The Wire or Breaking Bad and start watching The Big Bang Theory. Buttt, I guess i'm just a indy smark who hates everything mainstream.

Scrap the A8 and scrap the new MEM. Put AJ styles back on top.

Isn't that what's probably going to happen? I have Styles pegged to be the winner as I'm sure many others do and him beating Bully for the belt at BFG would end both factions and put Styles back on top. If TNA did that would you be happy?

2012 TNA was probably my favourite TNA. I think things have gone downhill but only after say Slammiversary or so. I thought Slammiversary was a great show. The introduction of Rampage and Tito has absolutely been a downer in my eyes. Everything else I think is okay, tag division has gone to crap but hopefully that can be fixed post BFG-Series.

They were okay up to late 2009.

2011 aand 12 were acrually really great years.

With the contradiction in those two statements, it's hard to tell when you stopped liking them.

Of course, TNA faces a problem in the way they've changed direction. Three years ago, they went for the gold, hiring big names and undoubtedly paying them big money. You either liked the storylines or you didn't, but the attraction of TNA for many folks were the famous wrestlers from previous years.

Many fans (including people on this forum) warned that TNA would be better off developing young talent and building more compelling storylines for them, rather than bringing back largely over-the-hill talent from WWE and trying to outspend the bigger company.

The fans who yearned for TNA to go younger and less expensive were right and, after a time, the company started featuring the newer guys and gals.

The problem? Which way is better, working with the old timers who draw an audience but cost the company too much money......or putting their efforts in the hands of younger, cheaper performers, whom many fans won't turn in to watch? Yes, TV ratings haven't changed much in the past few years, yet the company is surely spending a lot more than they did before they decided to Hogan-ize their operation. I'm certain their long-range plan was to have grown their viewership by now.

Artistically, TNA might now be on the right track.....but what happens if they can't bring in enough cash to keep the ship afloat? I hope they can keep it going long enough to turn the corner.

At the end of the day TNA is a business on SPIKE TV.

SPIKE TV want to make money.

They also show Bellator, and want that to succeed, obviously.

From what I hear Impact gets one of the higher ratings on the network, so it would be stupid NOT to piggyback on its success (relative obviously) and help other shows.

hence the shit with MMA

I personally don't like it but can see it from a business standpoint.

I do miss the good ol days but I also understand that they will never return, much like WWE.

Enjoy everything in the present and don't live in the past.

Can't help but wonder if people would be saying this if the ratings were going up. It seems like everyone's opinions of the product is really based on that. Nobody thinks for themselves anymore.

Good question. I think the current TNA product is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. Despite its' flaws, it's still a good show. I'd rather watch 2 hours of Impact than the 3 hour snoozefest on Monday Night. (Which is often more than not the case and I really hope Smackdown doesn't go to 3 hours. The current WWE product isn't good enough to warrant this many hours of programming a week.) Hell, I didn't even think it was that bad in 2010 when people were shitting all over the product, complaining about the lack of wrestling and Bischoff playing guitar.

As for this topic: Nothing to see/read here people, move along. Just another WWE fanboy or someone that's jumped aboard the TNA hate train because it's cool to bitch about TNA and all the mistakes they make. Because we all know the current WWE product is flawless!:rolleyes:

I don't think its a shell of its former self. Don't get me wrong, '05 was my favorite year of TNA and while I'm not as into the product as I was back then (much like WWE in the 80's and 90's) it doesn't mean it was a bad idea. At the end of the day they have been drawing more fans and they aren't giving away nearly as many tickets as the past so they must be doing something right.

People got to realize that TNA is a business and their business has gone up. I can say WWE is worse than the 80's and 90's because even though business is good its not nearly as good as it used to be, TNA although their ratings haven't gone up much they have been making more money and that's a fact. They have to do what needs to be done for business to go up and be more profitable, not what my personal preferences (or anyone else's for that matter) are.

Do I think the overall product is as good as it was in '05? No.

But that doesn't matter, what matters is the bottom line. I feel they are paying certain guys way too much to be there but business has gone up since '05, therefore TNA isn't a former shell of itself and did the right thing from a business standpoint (for the most part). They did what they had to do to get more eyes on their product, plain and simple. Now they got those extra eyes maybe they can evolve some more to get more eyes on their product but as of now they are doing fine.

A lot of people say Family Guy in its first run is much better than it is today. That argument has merit but Family Guy today is a million times more successful than it was back in 2000-2001. Does that mean Family Guy is a shell of its former self? You may not like new Family Guy's but numbers don't lie.

Do I think the overall product is as good as it was in '05? No.

That's a good year to compare TNA to. 2005 is probably the best year TNA ever had in terms of it's in-ring performances.

Styles vs Abyss, Daniels vs Styles, Joe vs Daniels vs Styles, Monsters Ball, Barbed Wire Massacre are considered the best matches TNA had. But funny enough, this is the same year where Jeff Jarrett took the piss out of guys groomed for a main event push. Guys like Monty Brown, AJ Styles, Rhino and more clearly Raven went from would-be main event stars with Raven being the seeming top face of TNA after nearly 2 years of build down the card while of course guys like AJ and Daniels had to make due with the X Division.

The roster was a mess back then with no real progression for stars as compared to nowadays where we see guys like Austin Aries, Bobby Roode and Chris Sabin grow up the card. The roster back then was a mess with lots of guys stuck in the midcard while the main event scene was a flux of actual over the hill guys like DDP, Kevin Nash, Jeff Jarrett and such. Why people would prefer TNA to resemble an indy company so bad I'll never really get. You can recall great matches with almost all of them being from the midcard. But from that day just what stuck out from the main event scene? Nada.

That's a good year to compare TNA to. 2005 is probably the best year TNA ever had in terms of it's in-ring performances.

Styles vs Abyss, Daniels vs Styles, Joe vs Daniels vs Styles, Monsters Ball, Barbed Wire Massacre are considered the best matches TNA had. But funny enough, this is the same year where Jeff Jarrett took the piss out of guys groomed for a main event push. Guys like Monty Brown, AJ Styles, Rhino and more clearly Raven went from would-be main event stars with Raven being the seeming top face of TNA after nearly 2 years of build down the card while of course guys like AJ and Daniels had to make due with the X Division.

The roster was a mess back then with no real progression for stars as compared to nowadays where we see guys like Austin Aries, Bobby Roode and Chris Sabin grow up the card. The roster back then was a mess with lots of guys stuck in the midcard while the main event scene was a flux of actual over the hill guys like DDP, Kevin Nash, Jeff Jarrett and such. Why people would prefer TNA to resemble an indy company so bad I'll never really get. You can recall great matches with almost all of them being from the midcard. But from that day just what stuck out from the main event scene? Nada.

And this is why this guy is VP while I make up the numbers in IS.

Rose colored glasses are wonderful and I know that many people love to drag out the alternative to WWe card but there's providing an alternative and being stupid. Why would casual fans dedicate time to a product that (to use a WWe analogy) put more emphasis on the IC, Tag Team and Divas belt than the WORLD title?

The current model is quite good BUT it does have one monumental flaw - the non-live episode is starting to feel like SmackDown compared to RAW and the ratings are starting to reflect this. Look at this weeks product and the BFG series for example - last night we got AJ, Kaz, A-Double and Hardy in a Ladder Match and then we got 3 former World Champs in Anderson, Joe and Roode along with series leader Magnus in a Tables Match. Next week? We get bottom three guys Joseph Park, Hernadez and Jay Bradley against the Fallen Angel in a Street Fight... do y'all see my point? This isn't unfixable though - once someone high up notices the effect this has on ratings AND realizes that only a very small percentage of viewers give a toss about spoilers, this should be quickly rectified... at least, I sincerely hope so, spending more time advertising the next faux PPV than your following week's show really could be extremely counterproductive!

I just Don't like TNA anymore, with there being 3 reasons why:

1) Sabin

They've used him, plain and simple. He's a good worker and they've made him look like a weak, midget champ. There was not once where anyone thought, "you know what, he could carry it". They got him beat down by bully ray, each time he looked like he shouldn't have even been in the same ring as bully. The difference between him and Aries is that Aries can put himself over on the mic and actually got to take it to the champ.

2) MEM

It's meant to be world champs right?

Last time I looked, Magnus wasn't a world champ. Neither was rampage, he's an mma champ and u can't call him a top talent, it's just a slap to everyone in the company.

You have all these top tier talent who you've given the strap to, all who have been given nothing to get their teeth into and all who have been attacked by A&8s

It was doomed from the start. You should have had Sting, Angle, Joe, Storm, Aries and Hardy. That's a group with prestige, experience and knowledge. Which is what MEM was meant to be about. You're giving MEM status to 2 rookies (let's be honest Magnus isn't the most experienced) which destroys their credibility as a group.

3) tag teams

From a lively tag scene with Chavo/Hernandez, Roode and Aries and bad influence we've got nothing now.

I get it, BFG series takes ppl away from the tag scene, but maybe build some guys up, give a team in the BFG series the belts even, for gods sake what happened to the days of MCMGs vs beer money?!

The tag division is dead in TNA and it's a sad sad affair.

And they do have talent as well.

They have guys like kenny king, who's charismatic and great in the ring, who is doing absolutely nothing.

I'm just generally pissed at how storylines are being structured and usage of talent.... It's frustrating.

That's just it though, you said yourself that the in ring performances were better and its a big reason why I liked it better, just my preference. Sure the main event wasn't good but honestly the main event scene in TNA has never been that good in my eyes. I will also say when it came to building their midcard they nailed it back then especially Samoa Joe.

I think their main event and growth is better now but I still don't care about what's going on at least I cared in 05 about guys like Styles, Daniels and Joe and I can't say that about anyone currently. I don't want them to go back to what they did in 05 but honestly the only thing that ever interested me about TNA was their matches and the feud between the 3 I just said, its what got me into TNA in the first place.

I'm not saying TNA is doing things wrong, quite the opposite but their in ring work was best in 05, its the only thing that made me care about TNA in any way, therefore its my favorite. They may do things better in terms of main event and building but there's no one I overly care about. Without emotional attachment you got nothing.

And this is why this guy is VP while I make up the numbers in IS.

Rose colored glasses are wonderful and I know that many people love to drag out the alternative to WWe card but there's providing an alternative and being stupid. Why would casual fans dedicate time to a product that (to use a WWe analogy) put more emphasis on the IC, Tag Team and Divas belt than the WORLD title?

The current model is quite good BUT it does have one monumental flaw - the non-live episode is starting to feel like SmackDown compared to RAW and the ratings are starting to reflect this. Look at this weeks product and the BFG series for example - last night we got AJ, Kaz, A-Double and Hardy in a Ladder Match and then we got 3 former World Champs in Anderson, Joe and Roode along with series leader Magnus in a Tables Match. Next week? We get bottom three guys Joseph Park, Hernadez and Jay Bradley against the Fallen Angel in a Street Fight... do y'all see my point? This isn't unfixable though - once someone high up notices the effect this has on ratings AND realizes that only a very small percentage of viewers give a toss about spoilers, this should be quickly rectified... at least, I sincerely hope so, spending more time advertising the next faux PPV than your following week's show really could be extremely counterproductive!

There's already a noticeable fix on this. The 4 Way Street Fight was advertised as "the continuation of Hardcore Justice". Keep in mind next weeks TV broadcast, while already taped (NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!), now has a major main event match in the 5 on 5 match. It's a learning process with these specials and they are becoming much like AAA's delayed PPV specials where each broadcast, taken from the same taped event, would feature 2 midcard matches and a main event. Chances are No Surrender will feature the BFG Series Semifinals in "night 1" and the Finals in "night 2".

That's just it though, you said yourself that the in ring performances were better and its a big reason why I liked it better, just my preference. Sure the main event wasn't good but honestly the main event scene in TNA has never been that good in my eyes. I will also say when it came to building their midcard they nailed it back then especially Samoa Joe.

I think their main event and growth is better now but I still don't care about what's going on at least I cared in 05 about guys like Styles, Daniels and Joe and I can't say that about anyone currently. I don't want them to go back to what they did in 05 but honestly the only thing that ever interested me about TNA was their matches and the feud between the 3 I just said, its what got me into TNA in the first place.

I'm not saying TNA is doing things wrong, quite the opposite but their in ring work was best in 05, its the only thing that made me care about TNA in any way, therefore its my favorite. They may do things better in terms of main event and building but there's no one I overly care about. Without emotional attachment you got nothing.

But back then there was no long term investment. And TNA suffered because of it. You were attached to Joe and Styles but it wasn't for another 3 years that those guys finally got to be the top of TNA's talent. How can a company grow it's fanbase when it's brightest stars aren't the center of the focus? How can they build a fanbase when a card's main event match is Jeff Jarrett vs some other WCW/ECW guy but the match to watch is actually in the middle of the card somewhere? Yes, these guys helped build a niche fanbase with the focus on these aspects. But it wasn't until these guys moved up along with the arrival of still in their prime guys like Christian and Kurt Angle that TNA got a primetime slot, a 2 hour broadcast and several years later they finally hit the road.

And truth be told, the solid performances of the TNA roster haven't left. We still get great stuff on a weekly basis. Because while 2005 may be TNA's best year for matches, 2010, the so-called worst year for them, is actually not very far behind.

There's already a noticeable fix on this. The 4 Way Street Fight was advertised as "the continuation of Hardcore Justice". Keep in mind next weeks TV broadcast, while already taped (NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!), now has a major main event match in the 5 on 5 match. It's a learning process with these specials and they are becoming much like AAA's delayed PPV specials where each broadcast, taken from the same taped event, would feature 2 midcard matches and a main event. Chances are No Surrender will feature the BFG Series Semifinals in "night 1" and the Finals in "night 2".

I'm hoping that you're right compadre because the 5 on 5 was only moved on a kayfabe week due to circumstances outside their control. Personally, I felt that last night's show was sufficiently loaded that either the Ladder Match or the Tables Match could have been swapped with the Street Fight and that Tenay and Taz could have spent a good bit of time hyping it because, and let us be completely honest here, the Street Fight is (by far) the least interesting.

But back then there was no long term investment. And TNA suffered because of it. You were attached to Joe and Styles but it wasn't for another 3 years that those guys finally got to be the top of TNA's talent. How can a company grow it's fanbase when it's brightest stars aren't the center of the focus? How can they build a fanbase when a card's main event match is Jeff Jarrett vs some other WCW/ECW guy but the match to watch is actually in the middle of the card somewhere? Yes, these guys helped build a niche fanbase with the focus on these aspects. But it wasn't until these guys moved up along with the arrival of still in their prime guys like Christian and Kurt Angle that TNA got a primetime slot, a 2 hour broadcast and several years later they finally hit the road.

And truth be told, the solid performances of the TNA roster haven't left. We still get great stuff on a weekly basis. Because while 2005 may be TNA's best year for matches, 2010, the so-called worst year for them, is actually not very far behind.

Although the midcarders weren't the focus it was still the best part and although they got the spotlight later in my opinion it was too late and they just weren't as interesting as they were in 05, once again my opinion.

Don't get me wrong they've grown tenfold and I'm glad, I hope they keep on it but just because from a personal standpoint I don't care as much doesn't mean I think what they are doing is wrong, I think they are just fine but its personal flavor and growth as a person. I still watch TNA, Aries vs. Styles a few weeks ago was great for example and that's what I like to see its just my emotional investment isn't where it once was for certain individuals, that's all.

Also I wouldn't go back to 05, I think their direction is good its just no one on the roster is anyone I particularly care for like I do with Daniel Bryan, that's fine though. With the way they build guys in comparison to the past I see a greater probability than ever I will find a guy who I love to watch every week and gets me excited about the product again. My issue is strictly from a personal flavor standpoint and nothing more.

With the contradiction in those two statements, it's hard to tell when you stopped liking them.

Of course, TNA faces a problem in the way they've changed direction. Three years ago, they went for the gold, hiring big names and undoubtedly paying them big money. You either liked the storylines or you didn't, but the attraction of TNA for many folks were the famous wrestlers from previous years.

Many fans (including people on this forum) warned that TNA would be better off developing young talent and building more compelling storylines for them, rather than bringing back largely over-the-hill talent from WWE and trying to outspend the bigger company.

The fans who yearned for TNA to go younger and less expensive were right and, after a time, the company started featuring the newer guys and gals.

The problem? Which way is better, working with the old timers who draw an audience but cost the company too much money......or putting their efforts in the hands of younger, cheaper performers, whom many fans won't turn in to watch? Yes, TV ratings haven't changed much in the past few years, yet the company is surely spending a lot more than they did before they decided to Hogan-ize their operation. I'm certain their long-range plan was to have grown their viewership by now.

Artistically, TNA might now be on the right track.....but what happens if they can't bring in enough cash to keep the ship afloat? I hope they can keep it going long enough to turn the corner.

Learn what contradiction means. Say they were 'okay' until late 2009 and then great in 2011 and 2012 do not contradict. Okay is not the same as great.

Lincoln was a great president, Ford was okay. Washington was a great president, Reagan was okay.

Mats Sundin was an okay hockey player, Wayne Gretzky was great.
Ozzie Canseco was an okay baseball player, Jose Canseco was a great steroid player.

aside from that issue, a good post for the thread.

Learn what contradiction means. Say they were 'okay' until late 2009 and then great in 2011 and 2012 do not contradict. Okay is not the same as great.

Lincoln was a great president, Ford was okay. Washington was a great president, Reagan was okay.

Mats Sundin was an okay hockey player, Wayne Gretzky was great.
Ozzie Canseco was an okay baseball player, Jose Canseco was a great steroid player.

aside from that issue, a good post for the thread.

Are you P-Double's legal counsel? While the two statements Sal quoted were not in themselves contradictory - what Pete has inbetween the two quotes does contradict.

The "okay" period featured everything he decried changing on January 4th, whereas the "great" period featured basically everything that he hated - Flair, less emphasis on tag, X and KOs, no hexagon ring, no original set and the "blue" move happened in May 2011. That 2009 was just "okay" featuring everything he loves and 2011 / 2012 was "great" while featuring all these things he hates is the very definition of contradictory.

Learn what contradiction means. Say they were 'okay' until late 2009 and then great in 2011 and 2012 do not contradict.

Actually, they do contradict. When the OP says: "They were okay up to late 2009" he implies that quality went down after 2009.

Therefore to follow with: "2011 aand 12 were acrually really great years" is a direct contradiction to his first statement. If the quality declined after 2009, how could subsequent years be considered "great?" That implies that quality went up after 2009, not down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back