TNA Creative Changes

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
PWInsider reports TNA Creative Changes:

- All of the backstage segments on Thursday's Impact were unscripted and none of the verbiage was given to the talents beforehand. They knew where they were going and were basically told to treat it as a serious situation. There are a lot more plans to let the talents speak in their own words and not tightly script them going forward. The feeling is that it will accentuate the wrestlers and differentiate TNA's product from WWE's.

That's good to me. Wrestlers should have freedom to do stuff, this is how stars were created in the past.They need to add their own touches to the gimmick they are given by the booking team and develop it to connect with the crowd.I hope this doesn't mean shows will look unorganised as fuck

That said..
You could feel the conversations were real though, I loved it when:

Angle said "I have won more titles than anybody."
and Bully Ray immediately said "Singles titles!".
LOL

Angle: We should start rewarding people just because everyone loves them?

Jeff: Works for me, your son loves me.

One of the funniest damn things out of wrestling this whole year for me.

To me that's exactly how it should be, no scripted promo's. Give them a rough idea before they go out & let them do their own thing. Matches should be the same. I might be too old school though... *shrug*

What are your thoughts on this change?

I loved it. It felt natural, spontaneous, tense and hilarious at times. It was perfect. The way it was shot and produced only amplified this feeling. Nothing wrong with it one bit.

If that's the direction TNA's taking with their backstage promos and what talent says - go for it. More of that please.

I agree with all of the above, but for me it went way too long. But I'm very much all for letting the guys "be themselves", or at least let them be their characters. I'm old school to the point I don't think announcers should be all the way "smart". But having stuff so heavily scripted is just wrong.

Plus I absolutely despise Hogan, so anything he's involved in automatically poison.

Yes, it's very interesting and if that opening segment was a preview of things to come, yes please TNA. This is exactly how Paul Heyman turned nobodies into stars, he let them do their own thing and build their own gimmick, and it's also why stars in WWE can't get over, because they're more restricted in this aspect. Perfect example, CM Punk. Give him an open mic and look what he does.

I agree with all of the above, but for me it went way too long. But I'm very much all for letting the guys "be themselves", or at least let them be their characters. I'm old school to the point I don't think announcers should be all the way "smart". But having stuff so heavily scripted is just wrong.

Plus I absolutely despise Hogan, so anything he's involved in automatically poison.

Can you give me one good reason that Hogan is to be despised? Honestly, I think the IWC just hates Hogan for the same reasons they hate Cena, because it's cool, so please, prove me wrong.

I loved it personally. Some of it was just plain hilarious (Angle's verbal interaction with Jeff and Bully). It had a bit of everything, hilarity, tension and more importantly... it felt completely real.

If this is the direction TNA is going to take as far as promos go (they should do the same for matches like Chrome suggested but that's for a different time), then I would be more than ecstatic to see it. Wrestling should have this type of freedom in it instead of the overly scripted crap. That's how it's thrived before, but if they are to go in this direction... yes they'll need to keep it organized but other than that, I'm all for it.

Yes, it's very interesting and if that opening segment was a preview of things to come, yes please TNA. This is exactly how Paul Heyman turned nobodies into stars, he let them do their own thing and build their own gimmick, and it's also why stars in WWE can't get over, because they're more restricted in this aspect. Perfect example, CM Punk. Give him an open mic and look what he does.

Can you give me one good reason that Hogan is to be despised? Honestly, I think the IWC just hates Hogan for the same reasons they hate Cena, because it's cool, so please, prove me wrong.

It'll probably be a novel, but here goes. Speaking totally for me, I've never been able to stand him. Admittedly, I had little exposure to him pre-WWF. Most of my exposure was to Owen's in Portland, until basic cable came to town with WTBS, so I got to see a lot of the guys I read about in Apter mags. Probably Grade 8, 1979ish, but I'd been watching Owens and Silverstein's promotion since Grade 2. With basic cable came some occassional WWWF and AWA, but it was worlds past what I'd been watching. So, as a kid, it was cool to see Hogan in the Rocky movie and to see him bloody up someone...I just can't remember who. But he was a heel, which is always glossed over in tales of his career for some reason.

So we start getting WWF product more regularly a couple of months before Hogan saved Backlund from the iron Sheik, beginning the ushering in of Hulkamania. Which led to a dark era of cartoons and wrestling garbagemen. Not Hogan's fault, and I certainly don't fault him for jumping on that ride. Anyone would have. That said, I couldn't "believe" the character. He was too "good". To the point and beyond of corny. There was no humanity. It was one dimensional. You could believe Magnum TA was a guy, a real person. But, OK, Vince had a lot to do with the Hulkster character. Very true. The problem was that Hulk Hogan, as a wrestler, was not believable. Big entrance, get his ass kicked, hulk up, leg drop, big exit. Again, Vince's hand was in there, I'm sure. But still, the wrestler just wasn't very good. At that point, I just didn't care about him. He was just another part of the F's horrible product.

Flash forward to him signing with WCW. Yeah, it was kind of exciting, the potential for big changes. The same old promos, the same old matches. Yawn. But also a little anger because he was bringing that style to the product I was watching to avoid the sub par content the F was producing. With, as i understand it, more control over his character than he had in the F. So, my dislike went up a tad. Still not much, because he was used pretty sparingly.

The Outsiders. Totally bought it. A still fairly lucid Scott Hall and the ever witty Kevin Nash capering around. What was not to love? They were so believable. And Hogan as the 3rd guy? I marked like a 10 year old. He gave his "why I turned heel" promo and it was so believable. The best heels think that the evil they do is justified. He believed his evil was justified. OK, I'm jacked. This is good stuff. They wheel him out the Monday after the heel turn. Growing a beard. As an old school fan a beard meant it was official. I was totally there.

His next TV appearance was the debut of the painted on beard. Wait. What? OK, a minor hiccup. Someone will tell him he looks like a fool. It didn't happen. And at the moment it became apparent the painted beard was here to stay, he lost me. The coolest angle of the era was watered down by this idiot, with creative control over his character, who thought a painted on beard was anything other than just stupid. Sure, one could say "if it made you hate him, he was doing his job". But I didn't hate him in the way one would hate Ivan Koloff...I just pulled him out of thin air. You didn't hate Uncle Ivan because of his creative, at the time, facial hair. Although it was a little part of the deeper character. The core of why Ivan was hated was because he was a plain and simple bad guy who did bad things. I hated Hogan because he diluted a great, believable angle with a piece of self indulgence that was just stupid. He looked stupid. Once again, there was no humanity, there was no depth. Still grooved on the first few months of the nWo. Spiking Rey, Jr into the production truck. Mugging folks left and right. It was glorious. Except for this fool with a painted on beard.

We all know his actions after that, but it was the Wild West then. And I think after Turner sold out a lot of people saw the writing on the wall. The new bosses were embarassed to own a wrestling company and no amount of profit would fix that.

Fast forward to Jarrett mugging him in Japan. Beautiful. A work of art, so to speak. Light colored clothing, lots of blood. Maybe this time Hogan will get some dimension. That died, but I've never been sure why. Net effect: zero.

So he finally comes to TNA. And it's all about the Hulkster. Hulkster being bad, stealing the fed, all that. The problem is now there was too much depth to the character thanx to that abortion of a reality show. Wandering half crippled through that house being a general all aound ass. Being Hulkster 24/ 7. Puke. So when he starts talking about getting the younger guys over, it's all bullshit. It's all about getting his broke, crippled face in front of the cameras, younger guys be damned. But now it's not a surprise he's working you, because it's obvious that's all he knows how to do. The person, the real Terry, doesn't give a tinker's damn about getting the fed over, the young kids over, the older guys over. He cares about getting Terry over. I get it's a tough wirewalk to make, but if the other guys don't get over, if the fed doesn't get over, you have no fed. But he doesn't care. He gets his check and calls Vince for another gig.

In a business full of self centered pricks, he is their king.

Warned you it'd be a novel. But it's a little beyond hating Hogan to be cool. I get the Cena comparison, and I really like Cena. Sure, it's cool that half the audience boos him. It's unique in an industry where repetition is the coin of the realm. But with Hulkster, he and I go back aways, and it's been a long trip to this point. Not some nonsense someone online told me.

Agree or disagree. But please give me a tad more credit than just following a trend.

I loved it personally. Some of it was just plain hilarious (Angle's verbal interaction with Jeff and Bully). It had a bit of everything, hilarity, tension and more importantly... it felt completely real.

If this is the direction TNA is going to take as far as promos go (they should do the same for matches like Chrome suggested but that's for a different time), then I would be more than ecstatic to see it. Wrestling should have this type of freedom in it instead of the overly scripted crap. That's how it's thrived before, but if they are to go in this direction... yes they'll need to keep it organized but other than that, I'm all for it.

In other words, don't compete with the E. Just offer a more reality looking program. Not a reality show. But a lightly scripted show that has a feel of realness to it.

liked the idea, didn't care for the execution. the one thing people seem to forget is that this is supposed to be treated like a sports show, not a sitcom. when hogan started with the "impact wrestling, episode.....", it made me cringe. same with the stupid music they played during those segments. the concept is fine but the execution made it seem like something you would see on an afternoon soap opera, not a wrestling show. if you want it to seem legit, treat it that way and skip the theatrics.

Might work 5 percent of the time but I wouldn't run with it. For what they used it for it was kinda dumb since the #1 contendership was decided with words and not a match.

This is an age old question as far as how shows should feel and look and such. The truth is that with more freedom often comes more blunders, at least when there is a definite end game. When the end game is just "who should be #1 contender", you can't screw up a storyline with what you say. However, if it is a major story, you absolutely can and it has happened before.

The problem I find with fans is that they don't understand the concept of scripting, like at all. Everything that you have ever seen on a screen has happened as a result of a script being created. Yes, even reality TV. A script provides structure and the writer of the script understands the story and where it is going. It is then the actor's jobs to execute the story. Now, to do that, actors must learn their lines, become the character, and act it out. Good actors, even if they don't divert one word from the script, will make you feel as though the dialogue is natural and real. Bad actors will sound pre-prepared. That's why I've always said that the problem isn't scripting, it's lack of acting chops.

If I'm running a wrestling company, and lets say since we're talking about TNA it's TNA, I'd require any new talent I sign to go to mandatory acting classes. I'd probably have an acting coach on payroll and have them working with my talents constantly as well. This is the main issue in wrestling and this is the solution.

My point is that while some people, mainly top guys, MAY have the chops to put on a decent performance, most people don't. It's about improving as actors and actresses and that's what these talents need to focus on. Do that and the script or bullet points are moot. Better acting would make you unable to tell the difference.

So that's the change that's needed, not what TNA did. Plus, talking to decide #1 contendership was a really stupid idea. Please don't do that again.

The opening was great. Hell, even Hogan didn't sound like a cartoon character straight out of 1986.

I'm hoping they continue with this. Obviously I still want less Hogan, but the other guys can run with it. AJ and Angle were as good as I've ever heard them, and Bully is a natural. A lot of the TNA guys are natural talkers (Roode, Storm, Daniels, Aries come to mind), so I don't see the need for a script, especially when you're trying to distance yourself from WWE's format (if that's what they're really going for).

It was entertaining. It came off as a bit more casual but if EVERY segment was like that one then it would get really old, really quickly.

Didn't WCW try a similar shoot style angle with Nash, Goldberg, and Stiener? If I remember right, they had it where Goldberg didn't sell Nash's powerbomb, then the following night on Nitro, Russo had brought out Tank Abbot in what was suppose to be a "real" fight; only it wasn't. I really hope that's not where TNA is heading.

It was entertaining. It came off as a bit more casual but if EVERY segment was like that one then it would get really old, really quickly.

Right here is the problem in a nutshell. If it worked once, so it gets done over and over until it turns into a cliche'. This segment worked, so how do they go about going forward from it? By improving it, by tweaking it, by being what Creative is supposed to be: Creative. And by not making every segment like that. By using the guy's strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. I'm not against scripting. But the problem with scripting is the temptatuion to return to the well...way too often. It's obvious, and frankly it's lazy. Like catchphrases. I hate catchphrases, because no one talks that way. After you've heard "I'm the Miz and I'm awesome" a hundred times, it's nothing but a yawn.

Give the guys talking points, with some key phrases to use and let them go. Acting lessons are fine, but part of being a pro wrestler is talking. If a guy is a bad talker, but a solid worker, sure, acting lessons couldn't hurt. Neither could getting him a mouthpiece of a manager or partner. Accentuate the positive, de- emphasize the negative. When Jesse Ventura was in the Owens territory, he didn't talk. Period. Bull Ramos did his talking. It was part of the gimmick.

TNA needs to make a change. But one change will not do the job.

Didn't WCW try a similar shoot style angle with Nash, Goldberg, and Stiener? If I remember right, they had it where Goldberg didn't sell Nash's powerbomb, then the following night on Nitro, Russo had brought out Tank Abbot in what was suppose to be a "real" fight; only it wasn't. I really hope that's not where TNA is heading.
I really do think people have learned the lesson that the worked shoot only pans out when people don't know it's a work. When the worked shoot is the backbone of your business, people go "bullshit!", and stop watching.

TNA/IW's been thinking outside of the box lately; hard times bring either innovation or starvation. (Sometimes both.) They've jumped the shark on the whole 'new concept' bit; this is a kind of change that would be very fundamental to the product, but wouldn't demand some kind of formal "sell". Dixie Carter won't be hiking to her abandoned Twitter for this. (I don't know if she uses it anymore. I do know some PR jacket made her stop saying such stupid shit on it.)

But, on that note, it was a segment featuring some of the best talkers in professional wrestling. Can other guys on the roster do that? If not, can those same top guys carry that format every single week, as opposed to it being a surprising diversion from the norm?

Me, I don't think it's a long term plan, but it could be funny as shit once in a while. It's a tool you put in your toolbox, which when used for the right tasks could prove effective.

C'mon man how the hell can you make that connection with this story? The guys are doing unscripted promos, doesn't mean they'll be doing garbage angles like that.

For me the segment loses its credibiltity with Hogan. The guy keeps talking about taking TNA to the future... the only problem is Hogan was the top guy in the 80s /90s.

Then when it came to be unscripted, there was alot of holes... which some of the guys in there actually brought up. Such as Kurt's won more titles ... er.. I would think that AJ has won more than Kurt, and then Bully said singles titles... holes ..

Also it really showed off AJ's weaknesses. He could have really delivered a great promo by saying that it was his record and if Roode should have to break his recvord, it should be by defeating him. He shoukld be the man to defend that record. That would have really got the storyline over, but instead, he stammered all over the place, making him look amaeturish. And Hardy just hid away, and when he was told he can't get the job done he just walked out...

The segment dididn't really help to put anyone over, and for mine the fact that AJ let his paranoia of Kaz and Daniels get himself beaten, shows me Hogan has no idea what he's doing as he should have put Kurt in the spot...

I liked it, but I also think it ran a little long. I am all for the wrestlers being allowed to be themselves though. The opening segment made me laugh more than once. Like I said in another thread, trim a few minutes off and it would be great.

I knew something mustve changed cuz the show just looks and feels different these last few weeks. Production value has gone up and the matches/feuds are all starting to mean something. Im loving it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back