• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Creating Its Own United States Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
A little while ago, Jeremy Borasch posted a picture on Twitter of a newly designed United States Championship for TNA. http://gerweck.net/2010/12/14/tna-to-introduce-a-new-championship/

I like the design of the title but this would make three mid-card titles on the TNA roster and, right now, the two they currently have aren't exactly all that prestigious. TNA has a bloated roster and has only 2 hours of iMPACT! to cram everything into. As a result, not surprisingly, many of their current championships and champions don't get a lot of exposure on iMPACT! and, when they do, it's usually not, it's usually not treated as anything remotely special.

If TNA plans on introducing its own United States Championship, do you think it's a good move? Does this mean that TNA might do away with one or more titles currently on the roster? Does the company already have too many titles? Discuss away.

It would have made sense to have introduced it instead of the Legends/Global/TV belt. That was a decent idea ruined.

This seems like a failure waiting to happen too. I mean, the only way this will work is if they get rid of the TV title but then I dont see the point of it. Basically I'm confused about the entire reason for this title's existence.

Also why would JB reveal it. Sounds like something that should be done on a bigger stage than his Twitter.

I was just about to start a thread like this about the new TNA US Title

I also am wondering what the point in this is. Part me thinks they might use this new title to either replace the TV Title, or unfortunately something crazy like the X-Division Title, which would be very unfortunate since that put TNA on the map in a way, but with TNA management, I would not be surprised to see this replace the X-Division title.

I just don't see how a US, TV, and X title can all co-exist in the company

for those who havent seen it, here is a pic of the new TNA US Title

2zqfv5h.png

Nice find, I didn't know about this.

Well, the only way for this to fall into the "acceptable" category is if they drop one of their mid-card titles. Why do I have the feeling they'll scrap the X-Division title? Anyway ...

If they plan on simply adding this one to the bunch - no no and no. They have enough belts already and they're not defended frequently. The TV Title gained a whiff of prestige at Turning Point thanks to AJ and Doug's brilliant match and the follow up on iMPACT. The X-Division Championship is as big of a prop as any WWE Championship. The KO's Title is absolutely irrelevant due to the fact that the Champion is more useless than the usual chicks who Main Event [Mickie and Tara]. The KO's Tag-Titles should not exist.

So...nah, I don't think this is a good idea. I like the belt, it doesn't look bad but it's unecessary. It might've been just an idea by TNA management which they dropped.

The last thing that TNA needs at this point in time is yet another mid-card championship belt. They don't even have enough television time to do justice to the belts that they already have, so why bother to produce a new one? Of course, there's always the possibility that it is an existing belt which has been renamed, TNA does like to do this. Maybe they want to change the name of the Television Championship yet again. Or maybe they realize it's an insult to the history of the X-Division championship belt to maintain this name, after the disservice they have done to it and are currently doing to it by having it carried by Robbie freakin' E, so they are changing this belt and it's name.

Let's face it, if TNA cannot even organize their time well enough to figure out a way to get their TNA World Heavyweight Championship to be defended on PPV, the last thing they should be focusing on is creating a new title to disrespect.

I can't see how they will reveal that since it's the old TNA logo and not the new one.

But, It could be foreshadowing a new TV show or something. TNA is looking to rapidly sign new talent and all of a sudden a new belt "appears"

January was the big Monday Night Wars. I expect them to debut something new this year as well and maybe a new TV show could be it. If that is the case then the TV title or this US title would be the centerpiece.

Why would the TNA officials decide to bring up another title? Wouldn't it be better to just focus on working with the titles they already have? Makinga a new championship would just be a waste of money as it will be just another title that won't mean much and by extension won't help anyone improve their status as a TNA wrestler.

Why in the world do they think they need this? Not only do the belts cost money to make but they already have enough titles in TNA. The TV Title is hardly ever on the line in TNA, the X Title is a joke and the world title is barely even there and looks like a demon cast out of the body of the lovechild of the Ultimate Warrior and Barney. If TNA had four hours a week of TV this could be one thing, but it's turning WAY too much into WWE. WWE has 6 hours of original programing a week not counting PPVs. They can have multiple titles because they can get the people on TV. TNA can't do that and I completely fail to see the point of this.

I can't see how they will reveal that since it's the old TNA logo and not the new one.

But, It could be foreshadowing a new TV show or something. TNA is looking to rapidly sign new talent and all of a sudden a new belt "appears"

January was the big Monday Night Wars. I expect them to debut something new this year as well and maybe a new TV show could be it. If that is the case then the TV title or this US title would be the centerpiece.

You make a good point. Maybe Xplosion will be that show. I'd love that show to be centered around the rebuilding of the X-Division and this belt for example. It could prove to be a cool thing, maybe have the show be filled with X-Division Spot Fests and down the line have the new X-Division reak havoc on iMPACT or something, for being mistreated.

I think overall its a pretty nice title, looks a bit like the WWE U.S Title.

Now I feel that TNA should scrap the TV title, theres no point of it if you are adding another Midcard title.

How about scrapping the X Division title? It was a great title when they actually gave a damn about the division, and showcased it. Now, the X Division is pretty fucking useless now.

Maybe have the TV title as the lower-midcard title, and the US as the upper-mid card title, and scrap the X Division title. I know Im going to get bashed about this, but im just stating my opinion.

Back when the XDivision was showcased I would have said hell no! keep the XDivision title...
but now... Whats the point of having an X "Division" title, if theres no "Division"

I say either the TV Title gots to go, or the XDivision gots to go, because i like the U.S Championship, and theres no need for a division for that.

When I first heard of this I was hoping the design would be a good one, But in typical tna fashion they copied the wwf's version. The wcw version is STILL the best design because the tna & wwf ones are UGLY.

But on to the matter at hand tna does not need another championship. Granted the tna whc has prestige, But the legends/global/tv title has none. I have noticed that tna has had the tv title defended on impact a few weeks lately so with any luck it might actually look like a real tv championship. It has been forever and a day since I have seen the X division title defended in a x division style of match. But I cant see tna bringing in this title to benefit them.

I dont understand the need for another mid-card title in TNA. They have too many floating around as is. At one point, each of the belts in TNA had a purpose and were meant for specific people. The belts have become props more then ever, andf introducing another one won't help the prestige of the titles in any way, or elevate the wrestler who holds it.

I think the belt has a pretty cool design, and its far superior to the TV Championship or the X Division one. For this belt to have any significance, whatsoever, they would need to eliminate at least two of the titles they have right now. If they don't the only other sensible way to make this work would be to go with 4 hours of programming a week, not including Reaction. Although I like the design, I don't see the need and think it would be counterproductive.

You almost have to kill off the TV Title. Like, WWE has two midcard belts but they are on two different shows. I think TNA needs just a few belts: Heavyweight Champion, US Champion, X-Division Champion, Tag Champions and Knockout Champions. Tag Knockout belts are ridiculous, and 2 midcard titles on the same show is just too much to do in too little time each week. BTW, I don't count the X-Division title as a midcard belt, more of like a cruiserweight belt since it seems to be on the waist of people like Robbie E., Jay Lethal, Amazing Red and whatnot.

@The Wrestler's Wrestler: I actually disagree. Personally I think the WWE one looks best, TNA looks fine and WCW looks the worst.

I can't see anything positive coming from this. TNA has to cram a lot of stuff on a two hour show. Main events usually spill over into ReAction, and the TNA TV Championship isn't defend on Impact too much.

TNA also has the Tag Team Championships, the Knockouts Tag Team Championships, the X-Division Championship, and the Knockouts Championship. It seems as if Hardy only defends his championship on pay per views, but TNA still doesn't have enough time on Impact. They really don't need to create ANOTHER championship.

They might be able to get some quality matches on pay per view with the new US Championship, but how will they have time to build the feuds? I guess TNA would have to use ReAction or Xplosion for this. Still, I don't think this is a good idea at all. TNA just doesn't have enough time on Impact for another title.

Like Joe noted, I'm not sure I buy this — the logo on the belt itself is the old TNA logo, which tells me the likelihood of this being a current design is pretty small, but in the event it is in fact a new title, I'm OK with it coming in, presuming a second show is added to TNA's US television market, Xplosion or not, or one of the mid-card titles (hopefully the Television title) is scrapped or unified with it in some fashion.

I hope this isn't real. The last thing TNA needs is more titles. As the saying goes; the fewer the titles the more valuable they are.

TNA proved just last week that it doesn't have a deep enough female roster to warrant Knockouts Tag Team titles when the tournament can only feature four teams (two of which are thrown together.) The X-Division is basically 2-3 guys with a few others never being on television unless it's to job or get a one month push. The tag division is basically 4-5 teams as well.

So why in God's name would TNA want yet another title when they don't have a deep enough roster for the ones they already have? At this point they should be dropping the Knockouts Tag Team titles and either the X-Division or Television title. Adding one is mind-boggling.

I'll be happy if this was just a fan idea or the original idea for the Legends title and not something that is actually going to be debuting soon. I'd rather get worked.

It could just be a joke by Borash. Photoshop is quite the powerful. However I really wouldn't put it past them. I for one, do see it working, but it's quite the stretch. I know I'm gonna sound really stupid for saying this, but it's an observation. So if you don't like it, kiss my ass. The E-Fed here, WZCW has two mid-card belts. The EurAsian and Elite X titles and a divisional belt. The Mayhem title. The two midcard belts are exclusive to one of the E-Fed's two shows while the other belts aren't. Basically it makes each midcard champion an attraction to a specific show. Not too long ago, when Rob Terry was Global TNA Champion, the commentators billed the championship as being a permanent fixture on TNA Xplosion. That of course ended when AJ Styles won the title and rebranded it. But the concept gave Xplosion a unique attraction to it. Maybe the actual champion sucked, but the idea was there.

As of right now, TNA has a total of 4 male championships and 2 female championships. If you're good with math, that makes 6. Looking back in time, during the Attitude Era, WWE had a total of 7 male championships and the Womens Championship and it all spreaded through Raw and Smackdown most of the time and occasionally on Heat. At around the same time, WCW had a total of 6 male titles and occasionally it's Women's title spreading across Nitro and Thunder. So basically the other brands had about one more belt while having about 5 to 6 hours of programming a week.

That being said, the idea can work. But it's obvious TNA is gonna need a few more hours of TV time that aren't Reaction. This may be their plan, but revealing the title like that doesn't seem professional. It does look quite nice though.

One thing. People say this may be fake because the belt has the old TNA logo, but the thing is, so do all the other TNA belts minus Jeff Hardy's custom World title.

i say, no, no, no. even if they got rid of the TNA Television championship or the X-Division title i would NOT agree with a TNA United States Championship. It just feels like they are doing the same thing WWE is doing, create another name for the title if you want to create a country title. Make a Canadian title or another country, calling it the United States title feels like it's watching WWE and trying to compete with them with their titles.

I thought about the logo a little bit ago and it's a good point to bring up. TNA's Logo now is a bit different so that might toss a bit of a monkey wrench into this. However, TNA hasn't bothered to change the logo's appearance on titles that already exist so there's always the chance that they don't consider the logo change to be much of a big deal.

You almost have to kill off the TV Title. Like, WWE has two midcard belts but they are on two different shows. I think TNA needs just a few belts: Heavyweight Champion, US Champion, X-Division Champion, Tag Champions and Knockout Champions. Tag Knockout belts are ridiculous.
i dont mind killing off the TV Title, but i just dont like the name, it just seems like they are copying the WWE, i know WWE took the U.S. title from WCW, but WWE bought WCW. Why not make up your own country type of belt??? The Canadian Championship could be a good idea and if they could, they could also create a European Championship, that way we wont have a TNA United States title and a WWE United States title. i hope TNA's idea of having a United States title is not used.

i dont mind killing off the TV Title, but i just dont like the name, it just seems like they are copying the WWE, i know WWE took the U.S. title from WCW, but WWE bought WCW. Why not make up your own country type of belt??? The Canadian Championship could be a good idea and if they could, they could also create a European Championship, that way we wont have a TNA United States title and a WWE United States title. i hope TNA's idea of having a United States title is not used.

I'm Canadian and it would be funny to see a title with that title, but it would never sell. I HIGHLY doubt fans in Alabama would want to watch the Canadian Title fight. It doesn't have any selling point.

I don't watch TNA but I just glanced at the site. 6 titles (1 vacant) is a lot of story lines and title matches. It's pretty difficult to give each title the attention it deserves. What happens to the wrestlers that don't have a title or aren't a contender? It doesn't seem like they would have time for anyone else. TNA should drop a title before introducing ANOTHER one into the company. Belts are already losing prestige because they're not given proper attention or are just used to get a wrestler over/or don't have anything else going on.

This won't work. Not with one show. Too many storylines, too many titles, too many performers, not enough time with a single 2 hour program format in the North American market. They need to get a second show and on the debut of this show, they can then debut as many titles as they want but not before then.

Psstt..... Lance Storm retired. No Canadian title for you.

Anyway, it seems pretty OK just to name this belt the "United States" Championship. TNA has lineage with the NWA, which is why the Global title was renamed the TV Championship. To align with NWA's belt held by the likes of Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson of the Four Horsemen and push Fourtune. The United States Championship was also a highlight of the NWA. I guess that with the North-American Championship still active, they chose this one instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back