• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA at the Manhattan Center - Yes or no?

rayisawesomeness

Pre-Show Stalwart
The Hammerstein Ball Room (or the Manhattan Center) has been the home for famous wrestling events like ECW One Night Stand 2005 & 2006, Glory by Honor VIII, and other various wrestling shows from ECW and ROH.

As I was watching the 8th Anniversary Show from ROH earlier (which was located in the Manhattan Center) I kept on thinking about this question: Why doesn't TNA have a show here? It's a popular wrestling spot and better yet, it's in NEW YORK! So with those two reasons alone, I think TNA should most definitely have a show here.

I'm just going to make this question a simple one: Why doesn't TNA have a show here? And also, DO YOU THINK TNA should have a show here?

Absolutely. I've been to the Manhattan center a few times for ROH shows and it's a great atmosphere most certainly worthy of performing a show from.

The New York perspective could give TNA a lot of free exposure, and the building is legendary in the wrestling industry. Let's not forget, RAW began there, too.

I've been begging for them to come back to New York since their last house show I attended, and the closest I've gotten was Hard Justice 2008 in Trenton.

The crowd will undoubtedly be full of just as many smarks as they have in Orlando because of ROH's somewhat strangle hold on the building right now, but the potential is limitless for them.

That's not a half bad idea. No joke. HUGE market... and would be great to advertise the product. Now the worry here is the 'smarky' crowds at this place. And not enough ECW originals are on the TNA roster to please them. But there is some good wrestlers in TNA and they could put on a helluva show there.

The atmosphere would make it seem like a lively place and put TNA over on TV for the most part. Now should they have a PPV there? No. An iMPACT or a house show would be nice. The venue's not large enough to cater to the technology TNA needs for production.

But I'd like to see a show at this venue in the future.

This is the best god damn idea I've heard in a long time, great thread idea Rayisawesomeness. TNA's main problem is that it's based in Florida. No matter what they do, at the end of the day, they are still a southern promotion and the free fans they get at their shows suck.

But you take that same TNA show up to New York in the Manhattan Center, and fill it with your average New York wrestling fan (AKA smark), and that place would be on fire, everyone would be really into the show I guarantee it, especially for some of the indy darlings on the TNA roster.

Frankly, TNA needs to leave Florida. They aren't drawing shit there and they won't draw shit there if they don't expand their market. Of course, that's taking a risk, but if they really want to evolve as a company into a national player like they say they do, it needs to be done.

I think it would be a good idea but the manhattan center is a crowd that will give you the God's honest truth. If they love you or hate you, now TNA does have a lot of ex ECW talent (orginal ECW) so then you could bring it alot of old school fans of ECW and ROH fans together but knowing TNA they would fuck it up, i am just hoping they can get there shit together

You mean, again? TNA already had an event the Manhattan Center on September 6, 2008. So I would like to return, yes. Guess with TNA getting bigger could be a better show, but the lineup was:

TNA House Show: Manhattan, New York at the Manhattan Center
- TNA World Champion Samoa vs. Kurt Angle vs. Christian Cage vs. Booker T
- TNA World Tag Team Champions Beer Money vs. Team 3D
- TNA Knockouts Champion Taylor Wilde vs. Awesome Kong w/Traci Brooks as special referee
- Monster's Ball: Competitors to be Announced

well seeing as WWE has a 25+ year history of have exclusive deals with arenas that prevented competitors from using those arenas, TNA would have to see if they can even use The Manhattan Center. before the argument is started, ROH can use it due to not being a competitor of WWE

TNA just needs to get out of Florida. They need to travel around a bit, so more fans are exposed to their live product. I live in California, and they came to Irvine for a PPV in October I think. It was suppose to be Sting's last match are whatever. I did not attend because the place is not very wheelchair friendly. They need to travel more, and sorry to say start almost having a rigourous travel schedule. I know the wrestlers love not always needing to travel. However, TNA will always be stuck in 2nd gear if you do not travel.

I brought this up in an earlier thread I believe last week. I believe The Hammerstein Ballroom would make a great permanent home for Impact. Instead of retyping my reasons, what I said is below:

"I agree that TNA needs out of Universal but I don't think Vegas is the best of ideas. The issue that you need to remember is that TNA doesn't charge admission at the impact zone due to policy at Universal Studios. A move to a new venue will allow TNA to bring in a new revenue stream, but now you have to sell tickets to the shows. I think for this to be successful, they would need to move to a larger metropolitan city that has a history of pro wrestling in their past. My pick, why not infringe on enemy territory.... New York City!

Now obviously they aren't going to be running shows at the Garden, but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to work out a bi-weekly contract with a venue like the Hammerstein Ballroom. Between passionate wrestling fans in the NY/NJ area and tourists that come through the area on a daily basis, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to pull a packed house full of paying customers on a regular basis. Hell, independents like JAPW and ROH do very well in the area."

well seeing as WWE has a 25+ year history of have exclusive deals with arenas that prevented competitors from using those arenas, TNA would have to see if they can even use The Manhattan Center. before the argument is started, ROH can use it due to not being a competitor of WWE

Well, like KurtAngle4ever already pointed out, TNA already had a show at the Manhattan Center, so I don't think there's an exclusivity issue.

Now on to the main topic. If we're talking about why haven't they held a show there, we've already established that they did. They also had a show at Webster Hall in NYC as well. If they were to return to NY I'm guessing the biggest thing they're looking for is the cheapest space that fits up to 3500.

If we're talking about why don't they do iMPACT from NYC, the answer is simple. Cost. Period. Even if they did it part time (bi-weekly as suggested) they most likely would take on too much cost. Now if they did a monthly show, or even a quarterly show, that might be interesting.

What I'm curious about is to see if they'll try to do a show at MSG. If they can't sell enough tickets they can likely just move it to the Theatre at MSG.

I also made mention of this in passing a few days ago that TNA would be wise to get out of Florida and possibly go to NYC and head to the Manhattan center and make it the home for Impact. I stated before that hot crowds and a bigger arena is what would make TNA bigger in many peoples eyes. You hear constatntly that TNA looks small time in the Impact Zone and it was great for a while but I really think that the building has run it's course for TNA. The Hammerstein ballroom would be a great fit for TNA. And can you imagine the reaction Team 3D or RVD fromt he old ECW loyalists or the freak out for Samoa Joe or Desmond Wolfe from ROH faithful? It's gonna be much louder for them than the Impact Zone is now. The only thing I see holding them back is the money situation but as stated before with actually being able to charge to get in then it could help somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back