TNA Announce Change

ECWcyrus

Occasional Pre-Show
On last nights iMPACT Wrestling, we saw Jeremy Borash and Todd Keneley announce the first hour, and Taz and Tenay the second hour.

I enjoyed the team of JB and Todd. It was definitely a nice breath of fresh air and I wouldn't mind them sticking around.

That said, did you enjoy the announce change? Do you like having two seperate announce teams during the broadcast?

Hell no, that new guy sounded like a geek. He sounded more like a ******ed cartoon squirrel than a wrestling commentator.

I really liked JB, but I didn't care much for that Todd guy. I will give it a chance though as it did make the show seem different and fresh. I like Taz and Tenay, but it never hurts to try new talent behind the announce table.

I've always enjoyed Borash behind the mic. That Todd guy sounded out of place like they need to turn up the volume on his mic and crank up the bass. At first I thought maybe A's&8's got their own announcer in, now I just think he is Bischoff's nephew.

I've never likes Tenay and Taz is hit and miss.

I didn't mind the new commentary team. They provided adequate color and play-by-play commentary. However, it seems unnecessary to have commentators rotating on a two-hour show.

I don't mind the mid-show switch. It gives the show a fresh breathe with new voices, and JB has always been a fantastic personality/commentator, but that Todd fella has the kind of voice only a mother could love. He sounds like such a dweeb.

If there are any Rangers' fans among us (myself not included), I'd actually draw a correlation between him and Jim Cerny of BlueshirtsUnited. It's difficult to pin point exactly what it is I don't like about him, but I know it starts with his nasally, high-pitched voice. It's just not a sound I associate with confidence, or with a wrestling commentatory.

...and no, I did not like Joey Styles either.

I hope they eventually get rid of Taz and Tenay. I can't stand listening to either one. They are actually a small reason why I don't give a damn if I miss iMPACT Wrestling or not.

I can't stand their voices and they are never funny or clever. Taz tries all the time to be funny and clever but always fails. Screw both of them.

I think JB should take over as play by play, he's way better than Tenay which isn't saying much. I would keep Taz because he can be a good colour commentator.

Unlike most here I thought Todd was great. He was well informed and didn't botch once IIRC. Him and JB were a refreshing change. I don't know if this will be a regular thing but if it is then that's cool.

The issue I have though (and this goes for both teams) is that there is no heel prescence and it's kinda boring to see both teams agree with each other all the time. If any of you watch Xplosion Pat Kenney does heel commentating and he has really improved, it's great to see him and JB play off each other.

Ideally I'd want Kenney to replace Taz. Hell, anyone to replace Taz!

It seems there's always a lot of hate for Taz & Tenay, but I (for one, maybe the only one - lol) like them as the announce team for TNA/IW. I thought it was really weird seeing JB and that guy I'd never heard of, or seen before at the top of Impact. Thank God they put JB with him, and we didn't have two no-names announcing the show at first.

When Impact first started, I think it was JB who said "Taz & Tenay will be joining us for the second hour of Impact" (or something to that effect). After hearing that, I honestly thought he meant that there was going to be a FOUR PERSON ANNOUNCE TEAM on Impact for the 9 to 10pm hour. I was very happy that JB and the other dude (don't know his name, and too lazy to find it) left when Taz & Tenay were ready to take over. One thing that really bugged me though was the moment when Taz & Tenay took over the announce table; it seemed really awkward that when Impact came back from break, we saw Taz & Tenay at the announce table - and JB & the other dude standing behind them. It was also very awkward to watch JB & the other dude take their headsets off, shake hands with Taz & Tenay (Taz made the "handshakes" very awkward as well), and then leave. The whole thing just seemed really unprofessional to me, and it should have been handled better. Maybe JB & the other dude could have said "goodbye" to the audience before the commercial break, and said that Taz & Tenay would be taking over when Impact came back from the break. That way we wouldn't have had to see all four of them at once, and Taz & Tenay could have still congratulated the first announce team without them having to be there. WCW used to switch announcers half-way through the show as well, but they did it during the commercial breaks (if I'm not mistaken, Bobby "the Brain" used to replace Tenay for at least the last hour of Nitro in the late 90s).

One of the thoughts I had when I saw the "new" announce team (JB & "the other dude") was that maybe TNA was testing these two out because they're thinking about adding another TNA show for TV (kind of like their version of "Smackdown", or whatever). I know TNA also has "Xplosion" (if I spelled it right), but that doesn't air in the USA. If TNA/IW was thinking about putting a new show on North American TV, they'd probably want a different announce team for the show. I'm not saying that TNA is definitely adding a show, nor am I saying that they even should start running another show...just that the possibility popped into my head when I saw them testing the water with a "new" announcer/announce team.

It might have just been something simple too, like Taz and/or Tenay got to the Impact Zone late (and needed a last-minute replacement), or it could have simply been that they wanted to give this new guy some experience so he could be used as a backup if an emergency were to ever come up for Taz or Tenay (or even JB). It's never a bad idea to give someone a shot at the announce desk (like TNA gave the "new guy" the other night). If Taz and/or Tenay are unable to announce for an episode of Impact (or a PPV or whatever) it's great for TNA to have someone other than JB they could throw in that position as a backup (that's had actual TV experience as well).

To be perfectly honest, the announce team for the first hour didn't seem to change the dynamic(s) of Impact at all for me. It was a little weird at first to hear the "new guy"s voice instead of Tenay's (as the play-by-play guy), but I got used to it part-way through the first match on Impact. When Taz & Tenay came out for hour #2, I hardly noticed a difference at all. I guess Impact is Impact, as long as someone is announcing. After all, JB & the other dude pretty much said whatever lines they would have fed to Taz & Tenay anyway (I'd imagine neither one of them is ad-libbing very much). I don't think that Impact's TV producers try to give their announcers their own "personalities" or anything like that; they just have a play-by-play guy and a color guy. I'd have to imagine that most of their lines are scripted, and the first announce team just read what would have been given to Taz & Tenay regardless.

If Taz is being scripted, fire that lazy son-of-a-bitch scriptwriter right now...

My 3 year old son could write Taz's lines.

"Kurt Angle's finger strength, You don't want to try and outwrestle Angle. I've had the pleasure of competing with Kurt, and that hurts. I'm short. Matt Morgan/Crimson are 'giant redwood's' that need chopping down. Hardy's 'out there' and needs to be grounded."

I've always liked Tennay. I actually don't mind Taz, he's just a little repetitive. I personally used to like Don West. He was an idiot at times, but he had passion, and that was enough. I like JB on the announce table a lot. Xplosion, and the couple of times he's covered Taz have been really good.

I don't like Taz as an announcer. He could maybe be tolerable in a three person booth with a true heel announcer. That Todd guy could never be tolerable. He was terrible although I bet WWE is interested because he was in the mold of that new thing they like. I say give me some throwback guys. A true heel announcer and/or someone that actually sells the action instead of sitting around pretending this is real. JB was great. Give me him and at least one of the options I just listed and I might start paying attention to what announcers say again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back