TLC Matches

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
So I was watching the old Hardy Boyz DVD and on it, were the first two TLC matches, so I decided to watch them both. And it got me thinking about the progression of the match itself, from where it started in WWE in 2000, to where we are now in 2009.

The first 4 TLC matches were all 3 or 4 tag teams going at each other for the Tag Team Championships. They prominently featured the tag teams of Edge and Christian, the Hardy Boyz, and the Dudley Boyz. Each TLC match after the first 3 have featured at least one of the original TLC participants. Now when there were 6 participants in the TLC matches, there was always a place to go for someone to be hit with a chair, ladder or going through a table, except towards the end when everyone was pretty much laid out except for the eventual winners climbing the ladders. Then it took a hiatus for about 3 1/2 years, from October 2002 until January 2006.

But when it returned, it now became a Main Event caliber singles match. Edge against Ric Flair for the WWE Title, back in the place it first began in Raleigh, North Carolina. Edge has actually been in 6 of the 8 TLC matches in history, and was in the first 3 singles TLC matches. I didn't realize that until just now. Small tangent, back to the topic. So singles TLC matches are for the WWE or World Heavyweight Titles. I don't have too much against singles TLC, but I just don't think it is as good as a tag team match, or hell it could maybe even be a Triple Threat or Fatal Four Way. It just seems to me that when it comes to TLC, there should be more bodies in the match, keep the action going instead of brief periods of watching the stars get up after taking a huge bump.

So, why do you think that TLC has transitioned from being a match for the Tag Team Championships, into a Main Event WWE or World Heavyweight Title match? Do you prefer more spots possible by more stars in the match, or do you like it as is, one on one?

I'm just going to go ahead and say that the reason that TLC has gone from a tag team match to a Main Event is because the stars that started it, had moved up to the Main Event. Do I prefer more stars in the match? You're damn right I do. Now CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy actually made me suspend my dislike for the singles TLC match, but I still prefer at least 4 stars in the match. I don't like the down time that came in 2006 when Edge faced John Cena, Edge just looked like he spent too much time waiting for Cena to get back up and into the ring. Some of you may rebut that with Bubba Ray spent a lot of time setting up the ladder in the first one. Well here is the thing, it was the first TLC match, and that was a hell of a spot. He wanted to make sure it was perfect for him to crash through those ladders.

So what are your thoughts on the progression of the TLC match?

i agree with cm, 4 people in a tlc is almost a must altough the tlc for the whc i saw live in sd at a payperview was the best ive ever seen as far as a singles match it was taker vs edge loser retires and taker went through 4 tables and lost. im by no means an edge fan but taker put him way over and i think legitamised him as a solid whc. i wish we could see more tlc tag matches how bout jerishow vs legacy for the belts in a tlc hell in a cell picture the devastation! i also think that if jerishow keeps the belts long enough what about a returning edge teams with ........... christian tlc for the unified titles cause when he comes back hes going after jericho and that means he'll need a tag partner

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back