Tim Couch: Drafted to fail?

BooCocky

On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan
Most NFL football fans have heard the name of Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf. Leaf completely sucked while Couch showed some signs of brilliancy. Couch went to Kentucky where he had two great years putting up great numbers. He still holds the record for most completions in a season and completions in two seasons. In a College game he completed 83% of his passes, which was remarkable because he threw the ball over forty times. Anyway, after his Junior year he decided to leave Kentucky and enter the NFL draft.

That is where he went wrong, he was going to be the first pick of the draft, and it just wasn't any draft, it was the beginning of the new look Cleveland Browns. The city of Cleveland expected great things from Couch but they were soon disappointed.

His rookie season he played in 15 games and started 14. His numbers weren't great but they were "Decent", he threw for 2447 yards, he also threw 15 touchdowns to 13 interceptions. Once again, they weren't great numbers. But you have to remember this, the Browns were a new franchise. They were a franchise in the making. They finished 1999 with a 3 win season.

Anyway, his sophmore year was pretty bad, he was plagued with injuries. That was basically his career story.

We'll skip the next year because that pretty much sucked.

Now on to 2002, the Browns finished 9-7, and was Couch's best year to date, he threw for nearly 3000 yds, and had 18 touchdowns. But he suffered a broken leg in the season finale, which forced him to watch Holcombe throw for 400 yards in a loss against the Steelers.

Now onto the controversy, After Holcombs brilliant playoff game, a game that almost gave me a heart attack. QB controversy hit the mistake by the lake.

People blamed Couch's downfall on inconsistency but during the 2002 season he was brilliant when it mattered the most. They won nine times, five of those wins were in the final two minutes, and most of the games were decided by 10 or less. That season Couch showed poise, he was clutch, and all the other things you need in a QB. But what happened to the former 1st pick in the draft.

So, was Tim Couch drafted to fail, was he short changed by Butch Davis, or was he given enough chances in Cleveland?

I believe he was given up on too early, yes he was injured, but those happened, he started out alright, but when he was finally healthy, he showed signs of being worthy of that first pick. I have no idea what went wrong, he lost his job because Holcomb pulled one game out of his ass during the best time of the year. I believe Couch could have made a good Quarterback with the right personnel behind him. He was good enough to lead his team to comeback wins, so what was going to stop him in the future?

I watched Couch at UK and he now coaches at the high school I graduated from. You have no idea how weird it is to have someone ask you at a high school game who the tall guy on the sidelines is and you get to say a former #1 NFL draft pick.

But anyway, Couch is by no means a bust. To put him in the same category as Leaf is is simply unfair. My reasoning behind this is very simple: aside from one season, no one but Couch has been able to make taht team win. He never got a chance to do anything up there. Becker, you know more football than I do. Who was Couch's top offensive target? He was on a bad team that was brand new. Look at the Browns now. They had a good season two years ago and it's now looking like a fluke. The Browns are simply a bad organization. They've had what, 5 starting qbs in the eleven years they've been in the league? Couch was starting to show what he was capable of and he got benched. Not many quarterbacks start off red hot in the pros. Manning, Manning, Aikman, Bradshaw. All of them and a lot more were garbage when they started. Why wasn't Couch given his cahnce?

In summation, I don't think he was drafted to fail, but he never got the chance he deserved.

O god, that Couch things reminds me of Walt Harris. Harris coached Pitt for several years, he was a resident Pittsburgher, he took Pitt to the fiesta bowl then went to Stanford, where he sucked. Anyway he got canned from Stanford, now he is going to coach Seneca Valleys football team. My good friend has a brother who plays at Seneca Valley and he never heard of Walt Harris. LOL. you brought up Bradshaw, I believe during there first SB win, he was benched twice during the regular season... :lmao: Anyway

The 1999 Browns had Terry Kirby, and Karim Abdul Jabbar ( no, not the old center :lmao:) as their running backs, together they totaled 802 yards rushing and 6 touchdowns. There leading receiver was a 23 year old Kevin Johnson who had 980 yards receiving. The 2000 Browns weren't much better, even though they had more options at receiver.

Anyway onto 2002. They had two decent running backs, a decent set of receivers led by Quincy Morgan, Kevin Johnson and Andre Johnson.

See, his most talented group of receivers and backs he put up his best numbers. He lost his starting job the wrong way, you should never lose your starting job when you're injured. So I agree with you, I believe he wasn't given a fair chance, and when he did he performed, not great, but well enough to win. He was only 25 at the time, and the prime of his career was still on the rise. It sucks that he wasn't given a chance. Yes GB, called him once, but come on, Bret Favre was the QB.

I don't view Couch as a bust. It would have been hard for any quarterback to achieve in the situation he was put in. Leaf didn't have the attitude or the mentality to succeed in the NFL so I consider him a bust. Couch was very good at Kentucky and it's a shame he hasn't found a team yet as I think he can still play. As far as recent busts, I just can't put Alex Smith in that category. It's hard having five different offensive coordinators and be expected to succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back