• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tiger Woods taking a indefinite break from PGA Tour Golf.

Billie Jean

Mr.Wrestlemania
Originally posted on Official PGA Tour Webstie

Two weeks after Woods crashed his car into a tree outside his house, setting in motion a swift fall that featured reports of extramarital infidelities, golf's biggest star made a stunning announcement.

He announced he is temporarily walking away from the game that made him the first $1 billion athlete.

"After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf," Woods said Friday evening on his Web site. "I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person."

It will be the second straight year that the No. 1 player will spend a long period sidelined.

A year ago, he missed eight months while recovering from reconstructive surgery on his left knee. This time, Woods is trying to repair a broken family, knowing this will be a far more difficult comeback.

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children," Woods said. "I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try."

Woods and his wife, Elin, have been married five years. They have a 2-year-old daughter and a 10-month-old son. The No. 1 player in golf has not been seen in public since the accident.

Woods gave no indication when he might return in what could be a pivotal year as he pursues the record 18 major championships won by Jack Nicklaus. Woods, who did not win a major this year, has 14.

The Masters, where Woods has won four times, is April 8-11. The U.S. Open is at Pebble Beach, where Woods won by a record 15 strokes in 2000, and the British Open returns to St. Andrews, where he has won twice by a combined 13 shots.

"We knew before he was coming back," said Steve Stricker, one of Woods' favorite players on TOUR. "Now, we're not sure when he's coming back. But this sounds good. I hope everything works out for him."

The PGA TOUR supported the decision.

"His priorities are where they need to be, and we will continue to respect and honor his family's request for privacy," PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement, the TOUR's first public comment on the matter. "We look forward to Tiger's return to the PGA TOUR when he determines the time is right for him."

Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, told The Associated Press that it was the right decision for Woods and his family.

"The entirety of someone's life is more important than just a professional career," Steinberg said in an e-mail to the AP. "What matters most is a young family that is trying to cope with difficult life issues in a secluded and caring way. Whenever Tiger may return to the game should be on the family's terms alone."

Woods' corporate sponsors have stood by him for now.

"Tiger has been part of Nike for more than a decade," Nike said in a statement Friday. "He is the best golfer in the world and one of the greatest athletes of his era. We look forward to his return to golf. He and his family have Nike's full support."

Meanwhile, Accenture no longer has an image of Woods on the home page of its Web site. Earlier this week, Woods was among three rotating pictures on the home page.

AT&T said it supported Woods' decision.

"We are presently evaluating our ongoing relationship with him," the company said in a statement. Not only does Woods carry the AT&T logo on his golf bag, the company is the title sponsor of his PGA TOUR event over the July 4th weekend.

Steinberg said it would be "premature and inappropriate" to talk about whether the sponsors will end their relationships.

"Suffice it to say, we have had thoughtful conversations and his sponsors have been open to a solution-oriented dialogue," Steinberg said. "Of course, each sponsor has unique considerations and ultimately the decisions they make we would fully understand and accept."

Earlier this year, Woods became the world's first athlete to surpass $1 billion in career earnings, according to Forbes magazine. His sponsors also include Gillette, Gatorade and TAG Heuer.

Woods last played a tournament Nov. 15 when he won the JBWere Masters for his 82nd victory around the world.

Stricker, who went undefeated as Woods' partner at the Presidents Cup, said his leave was the right decision.

"It's great that he's going to put his family first and work things out," Stricker said. "Golf will always be there. He wants to make sure his marriage is right and everything is good on the homefront. We'll sure miss him on TOUR until he gets things taken care of."

Woods also indicated he would step away from the work of the Tiger Woods Foundation, which has served some 10 million children.

"There are millions of young people who have truly changed their lives through the foundation's programs, and millions more still counting on us for help," Woods said in a separate statement through his foundation. "I am committed to them and to the foundation's excellent work, and I know my staff will continue these efforts during my absence."

So it looks like Tiger is going to stop trying to win majors and try to get back on track with his wife and family life. I can say that this mans image has been dented a lot lately and it is best for his interest for him to take some long time of to re-think his life and stuff.

Tiger, I wish you all the best.

But, what effects do you think this will have on Golf?

I feel that Tigers absence is going to have a huge effect on the game of golf. I know many don't consider it a sport on these forums or even watch it, but everybody knows who Tiger Woods is. i would be more than shocked to hear someone say they don't. In my opinion there is just no one in the sport at this time who can attract the crowds he does. It is going to have a effect I assure you.

To golf, Tiger is not a golfer. He is THE golfer.

Tiger had to do this. The media storm that's over him and his family right now is not going to go away for a long time. He will be able to make a comeback when ever he returns because he is the best at what he does. If Kobe Byrant, Magic Johnson, and Mike Tyson can all recover from controversy, than so can Tiger.

I think this will cripple the world of pro golf. Tiger is the face of that sport, and the main reason why most people even watch it. Hell, I can't stand to watch golf, but I will tune in every now and then to see Tiger playing. He's pretty much the only golfer who's always in the limelight, and doing every commercial from Gatorade to Nike.

If something like this were to happen to Lebron James, the NBA still has Kobe Byrant and Dwayne Wade. If something like this were to happen to Tom Brady, the NFL still has Adrian Peterson or Peyton Manning. But with this happening to Tiger, golf really doesn't have any body to take his place.

The PGA is going to suffer greatly because of this. Tiger Woods is and had been the greatest draw of viewers ever in the PGA. His disappearance from the tour for any period of time will hurt the sport. But it is what the man has to do. I hope he comes back soon enough and I hope his mind is in the game. I know with the loss of his dad, he lost a stride, but he came back and was at the same level.

Yes I agree with alot of people on here. I figured this would happen before it actually did. Tiger woods has done more for golf the Jordan has done for basketball ball and that is saying alot so ya..the pga is really going to suffer with out him. But really i think tiger should move on from his wife because to me i dont think he really cared about her that much since hes been a player this whole time.

Lets just face everyone..tiger woods is no long a tiger..Hes a Cheeta

Man, I don't think rich people should ever get married, they have too much too lose and too many options. I don't see how Tiger can really repair this, I mean its not like it was one girl, it was apparently as many as he could handle, how much can he really love his wife? To me the only reason he's attempting to reconcile is to preserve whats left of his good image, and tbh the only reason he even got maried was to enhance that image. I don't blame the man though, he's just a regular guy who happens to be the best golfer in the world. People shouldn't have put him on the perfectionist platform in the first place, he deserves to be revered for his golfing ability, but he's not a saint.

I have no real thoughts on the golf issue though, not my thing.

The PGA is going to suffer greatly because of this. Tiger Woods is and had been the greatest draw of viewers ever in the PGA. His disappearance from the tour for any period of time will hurt the sport. But it is what the man has to do. I hope he comes back soon enough and I hope his mind is in the game. I know with the loss of his dad, he lost a stride, but he came back and was at the same level.

He was gone for quite a while already, with the knee injury, and the sport did fine. It certainly wasn't drawing in the huge numbers it was with Tiger playing, but it was still drawing better numbers than they did before he boosted the sport.

This time, the sport is actually in a better position. When he was hurt, he wasn't in the news every day, so people had the chance to forget about the sport. Now, he'll be in every newspaper, and on every news network, so they'll still keep the viewers.

Well, Tiger took playing 18 holes to new heights, didn't he?

This presents a really terrific opportunity to other players who might never have had an opportunity to truly shine as stars while Tiger was playing. Were I a professional golfer with a reasonable chance of filling his shoes while he's away, I'd be busting my ass to do exactly that!

We all know a laundry list of pro wrestlers who either made their first claim-to-fame while one of the big-name performers was out or filled in when other, more likely champs could not. Think of John Morrison, who first won the ECW title when Chris Benoit no-showed his match. Think of Morrison again, when Rey was suspended for Wellness violations. What about Undertaker, who stepped back into the World title hunt when Jeff Hardy took his most recent leave of the sport?

Right now should be an exciting time for genuine lovers of golf. Who knows who the next big thing is going to be in that industry?! When this all settles down, golf is going to have a new face, and whomever that person is should thank his lucky stars Tiger couldn't keep his wood in his pants!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back