Their Greatest Rival: "Macho Man" Randy Savage

TheKingofKings20222

WWE Attitude Era Champion
So in the second edition of Their Greatest Rival, we go a little way's backwards to the Macho Man Randy Savage! Randy had MANY terrific matches, and left behind a lifetime of memories. Sadly he was taken away from us last year on May 20th, 2011. Out of all his rivalries, and many great matches, who truly was, his greatest rival?

I would say, Hulk Hogan

Hogan and Savage were the two biggest stars in the WWF. It did not get any bigger than the Macho Man and the Hulkster. The two even formed one of the greatest tag teams of their time, The Mega Powers. These two put on a lot of matches together, whether they were in the same corner, or across the ring from one another.

So that's my opinion, what's yours?

Back when I was a huge WCW fan, (before I defected to the WWE) I really liked the DDP Macho Man rivalry. They had good intensity with one another and really made you beleive they couldn't stand each other. One of my favorite moments in their rivalry was when DDP came out as La Parka to face Savage but no one knew it was him until he hit a Diamond Cutter and took off the mask. I remember the fans going crazy. Although I would have to agree that Hogan was his best rival back in the day.
OHHHH YEAAAAAHHHH!!

Hogan was 2nd. In my opinion, with 1st going to Ric Flair! His feud with Macho leading to WM 8 was legendary! And then they both ended up in WCW and conitnued the feud. This feud had alot in common with the Hogan feud. Both produced great promos, awesome matches, an both had Liz in the middle to make it personal (and when its personal, I find it becomes a great rivalry).

So I`m going with Flair, because I personally enjoyed that feud more, as I enjoyed Savage as a face more. But the hogan feud also rocked.

Steamboat, just for their Wrestlemania classic, and Jake the Snake Roberts. The moment that the cobra sunk its devenomed fangs into Randy's arm probably traumatized more kids than any other moment in wrestling history.

I would probably say, Nature Boy Ric Flair. Both guys were already at their prime in the late 80's early 90's. I picked Flair because of the emotion involved in the storyline. They had a style that meshed well together and their match at Wrestlemania 8 was a classic.

I think Steamboat was another great rival of Macho Man. Their match at Mania III was great due to the back and forth action and fluidity of move after move.

Most people might say Hogan is Savage's greatest rival, but Savage carried Hogan through those matches. Watch their match at Mania V. Sure Hogan won, but in my opinion, Savages stock went up after that loss. Hogan was still Hogan, defending America and teling kids to "train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins!". Savage found new ground as Macho King and evolved his character.

But overall, Flair and then Steamboat...

So in the second edition of Their Greatest Rival, we go a little way's backwards to the Macho Man Randy Savage! Randy had MANY terrific matches, and left behind a lifetime of memories. Sadly he was taken away from us last year on May 20th, 2011. Out of all his rivalries, and many great matches, who truly was, his greatest rival?

I would say, Hulk Hogan

Hogan and Savage were the two biggest stars in the WWF. It did not get any bigger than the Macho Man and the Hulkster. The two even formed one of the greatest tag teams of their time, The Mega Powers. These two put on a lot of matches together, whether they were in the same corner, or across the ring from one another.

So that's my opinion, what's yours?

Tough call, great question. DDP comes to mind simply because the 2 of them really brought it and made it deeply personal with the usage of Kimberly/Liz. I personally enjoyed this feud because I remember seeing Macho hobbling out on Nitro with crutches ready to fight and I genuinely believe that he would fight anyone anywhere even under those circumstances so I couldn't help but keep glued to the TV set when he came down.

Hogan of course because of the Mega Powers then the nWo then post nWo

Best feuds:
1.Hogan
1a. DDP
2. Steamboat

Although his feud against Hogan was most likely the biggest my favorite without question was his Feud with the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Incredible emotional build up along with some of the best in the business involved Savage..Flair.. Perfect.. Bobby the Brain.. and the match itself and the finish was very well done too. Without a doubt it should have ended WM8.

As for Steamboat they had that amazing match but to be honest I don't really remember that feud all that much in comparison with others. Hogan, Flair hell even Jake the Snake!!.

Although his feud against Hogan was most likely the biggest my favorite without question was his Feud with the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Incredible emotional build up along with some of the best in the business involved Savage..Flair.. Perfect.. Bobby the Brain.. and the match itself and the finish was very well done too. Without a doubt it should have ended WM8.

As for Steamboat they had that amazing match but to be honest I don't really remember that feud all that much in comparison with others. Hogan, Flair hell even Jake the Snake!!.

I'm for Flair as well. Not only did their WWE fued involve the above mentioned but it also involved Warrior & helped to get Razor Ramon over too. Plus it got carried over to WCW and was1 of the few good feuds WCW had prior to the nWo angle.

Flair for me with Hogan a close second. Their feud was really intense going into mania 8 with Flair claiming he was with Liz, and having the doctored photos of the two of them together. I remember the emotion Savage had in that feud, and what a great moment it was when Savage took the title from Flair at Mania 8. As stated before it helped get Razor Ramon to later in the feud. I think the emotion and great match quality puts Flair slightly above Hogan.

Flair for me with Hogan a close second. Their feud was really intense going into mania 8 with Flair claiming he was with Liz, and having the doctored photos of the two of them together. I remember the emotion Savage had in that feud, and what a great moment it was when Savage took the title from Flair at Mania 8. As stated before it helped get Razor Ramon to later in the feud. I think the emotion and great match quality puts Flair slightly above Hogan.

Also, I think what added to that feud was the post match interviews both Randy & Ric had at WM8, some of the best interviews ever in the biz.

Would say there's no question from an reality perspective it's Hulk Hogan, that went beyond work into there private life and encompassed most of there respective careers.

from a great match basis Savage vs Flair was great for giving Savage a props to say he beat "the man" something Hogan would never let him do and the had some classic bouts.

His feud with Flair - It spanned two companies, main evented both a WrestleMania and a Starrcade, involved title changes in both companies, and it was definately personal. Flair alleging he had an affair with Elizabeth and she only married Savage because he dumped her, Flair beating up Savage's father twice AND pinning Savage on FATHERS DAY after hiting him with his dad's cane following one of the beatings, Liz turning on Savage, helping Flair win the title, Savage was at his most intense, crazy best in this feud, over four years, through two companies. Flair probably carried the promos (The "She was mine before she was....she's damaged goods" stuff in WWE was priceless, as was his continuing skits with Liz in WCW talking about all the things they could buy with Savage's money "Hey, its on Randy!") but Savage had his share of good work on the mic as well.

The feud with Steamboat really established Savage as a killer heel (although it was followed almost immediately by his face turn so that was kind of a waste). The DDP fued helped elevate DDP from non essential mid carder to legit top level star (WWE fans forget how over DDP was with the wrestling audience). His first run with Hogan in 1986 gave Savage credibility, his second run in 1989 produced some of Hogan's best matches and did good business, their brief run in WCW circa 1998 was too short and the whole "Taking over the NWO" story too convoluted to work.

With all that mind I pick Flair, their matches were almost always good, the feud continued to be interesting through out the four year run, and unlike with Hogan Savage actualy got to win some of the matches, he wasnt just jobbing out all the time. even if you argue that Flair ultimately won the fued in the end Savage had plenty of up moments at Flair's expense, and that is what truly makes a good long term feud.

Jake the Snake Roberts. The moment that the cobra sunk its devenomed fangs into Randy's arm probably traumatized more kids than any other moment in wrestling history.

This.
I've only ever experienced the Macho Man through YouTube, but everything I've seen regarding him and The Snake is just gold. A feud between two good workers that feels real and personal, is of main event quality, and has nothing to do with a title unless I'm mistaken.

Randy Savage's greatest rival bar none was Hulk Hogan. Between their matches in 1985 when Savage first came into the WWF, the Megapowers and the whole build-up to WrestleMania 5, that was when Savage was at his peak.

hulk hogan by far. they had some amazing matches and some of the best storylines. not just in wwe but in wcw also. he had great feuds with guys like jake the snake and the ultimate warrior. but they just did not come close to as being as good as the feud with hogan.

Jake the Snake Roberts. The moment that the cobra sunk its devenomed fangs into Randy's arm probably traumatized more kids than any other moment in wrestling history.

To this day, Im scared to death of snakes....I blame this. Scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Savages best work, IMO, was 1992. His hatred for Roberts and Flair just seemed so real. I wish we got a better blow off to Savage/Roberts.

But my vote has to go to Hogan. From the Mega Powers to the Mega Powers exploding was great.

jake Roberts. he pulled out a cobra on his ass. who the hell does that. When your like 5 and you dont think wrestling is fake trust me flipped my wig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back