The Young Bucks

Jtrivera

Occasional Pre-Show
Title speaks for itself, I look at these two superstars and I see nothing but talent and potential. Recently signing a mice contract with ROH, they seem to be the team everyone wants. However, after watching several of their old matches I can't help but wonder, when are they going to be their own team? They have tons of good innovative tag team moves. But honestly that's about it, the high spots are cool but I can't stand watching a team that just keeps copying past performers.

For example, one of their matches they did a cocky pin, leg on the chest arms across their body then screamed "yeah baby" a signature move done by a young Jericho. Then we have the ever so famous "2 sweet" which personally I think is completely idiotic for anyone aside from Nash Hall, HHH and Michaels doing it. I was once working on a show in the indies and saw two indy wrestlers greet each other by doing the whole two sweet thing, marks without a doubt. Then we have the suck it taunts which they not only abuse, but they also have no reason to be doing so. Lastly the Super Kick, which isn't really copying off anyone, but using it as a regular move 30 times in a match just for the hell of it is a bit much don't ya think?

Call it a nod to former wrestlers with what they do, but if I'm in the business I would want to be the first set of Young Bucks, and not just another Matt & Jeff, I've seen these guys go from Generation me to the wrestlers they are now. Yeah they've improved a hell of alot but I'm in the minority here when I feel they need to break out and become something other than a team who keeps taking other things from wrestlers such as signature taunts and what not.

What is your opinion when it comes to The Bucks using these things?

By far one of the most polarizing acts in wrestling I've ever seen. John Cena wishes he could be as divisive as these two. Because you either love their flips, NWO/DX throwbacks and their "we're very indy" in ring style, or you just can't stand them one bit. I'm the latter. Every time I see these two in the ring, I fail to see the appeal. I see two scrawny guys in Midnight Rockers gear paying tribute to the NWO (another piece of wrestling history I hate for damaging the simple heel/face dynamic) and performing a very basic Side Kick constantly. Not to mention their finishing move formally known as the Meltzer Driver, now Indytaker just makes me wonder if these two are out to actually entertain the masses or just give Dave Meltzer a raging stiffie. In my eyes, they are not a mainstream act and should they go to WWE they would need an enormous make over. Their attitude (I know it's just a gimmick) just screams the epitome of indy hipsters who believe it's more about the moves than the emotion. A bad stereotype to portray in a business where storytelling and character building tends to be what moves the needle the most.

I find the Young Bucks entertaining, but then I was a HUGE fan of The Hardy Boyz when I was younger, so I do like their high-flying, spectacular style.

However, as fun as I find some of their antics (like the Superkick party and the catchphrase/taunt stealing), I don't think it's a good thing for the business. It's like they are making fun of those who came before them and paved the way for the young guys today.

I would like to see them perform in WWE, but I highly doubt that'll happen unless they change their attitude/gimmick and tone down their style to fit in with WWE. I expect they'll remain an indie act for the forseeable future.

By far one of the most polarizing acts in wrestling I've ever seen. John Cena wishes he could be as divisive as these two. Because you either love their flips, NWO/DX throwbacks and their "we're very indy" in ring style, or you just can't stand them one bit. I'm the latter. Every time I see these two in the ring, I fail to see the appeal. I see two scrawny guys in Midnight Rockers gear paying tribute to the NWO (another piece of wrestling history I hate for damaging the simple heel/face dynamic) and performing a very basic Side Kick constantly. Not to mention their finishing move formally known as the Meltzer Driver, now Indytaker just makes me wonder if these two are out to actually entertain the masses or just give Dave Meltzer a raging stiffie. In my eyes, they are not a mainstream act and should they go to WWE they would need an enormous make over. Their attitude (I know it's just a gimmick) just screams the epitome of indy hipsters who believe it's more about the moves than the emotion. A bad stereotype to portray in a business where storytelling and character building tends to be what moves the needle the most.

This.

They're fucking awful. Awful. Their entire existence is predicated on appealing to that niche market of fans who know and understand the satire of over-selling their own gimmick. It’s odd… their gimmick is a gimmick itself. Like a gimmick of a gimmick. I can’t think of anyone in wrestling who went this far down the rabbit hole before.

I used to joke back when they were still in TNA that they ought to just go by “The Rancho Cucamonga Boys”, because the little segment TNA did on them highlighting that they came from there was probably the most entertaining thing they’d ever done.

They are big fish in a little pond. And they probably like it that way. Hey, if it pays the bills, great. But I can't imagine them ever being able to get over with a crowd that doesn't live and breathe that independent "scene". I just don't think anyone would "get it".

Because you either love their flips, NWO/DX throwbacks and their "we're very indy" in ring style, or you just can't stand them one bit. I'm the latter. Every time I see these two in the ring, I fail to see the appeal. I see two scrawny guys in Midnight Rockers gear paying tribute to the NWO (another piece of wrestling history I hate for damaging the simple heel/face dynamic) and performing a very basic Side Kick constantly. Not to mention their finishing move formally known as the Meltzer Driver, now Indytaker just makes me wonder if these two are out to actually entertain the masses or just give Dave Meltzer a raging stiffie. In my eyes, they are not a mainstream act and should they go to WWE they would need an enormous make over. Their attitude (I know it's just a gimmick) just screams the epitome of indy hipsters who believe it's more about the moves than the emotion. A bad stereotype to portray in a business where storytelling and character building tends to be what moves the needle the most.

I agree for the most part. It seems that just about every star of even moderate acclaim on the indie circuit has their own fans proclaiming them to be the greatest thing in all wrestling history and the Young Bucks are no exception. They may be the physical embodiment of that movement and I'm just not overly impressed with them.

When I look at the Bucks, I see a team that incorporates, or at least tries to incorporate, just about every sort of negative indie wrestling stereotype into their personas and matches. It's done purposely, for the most part, and it definitely screams something that appeals to a particular audience. They demonstrate little to no use or understanding of psychology, their matches are frequently composed of little more than high spots, the pace is so jacked that it's all about setting up the next spot rather than selling the moves or working to tell a story inside the ring. If that's what someone's into, then more power to 'em. It just doesn't work for me.

I don't see the Bucks coming to WWE. A few years back, if I remember correctly, they had a tryout with WWE and it didn't go over so well, allegedly, because of their attitude. I don't remember all the details, but I do know it had something to do with disrespecting Booker T and some others who were present at said tryout. If they did come to WWE, I think there'd be a major overhaul in their style and it'd be something of an improvement, at least in my opinion. They might actually learn how to use psychology and storytelling, they might learn that there's a lot more to a match than to just flip, flop and fly around like a squirrel on meth. After all, they'd have to cut back on the high spots if they made it to the main roster because they couldn't last. WWE's touring schedule is beyond hectic and it wouldn't take too long for their bodies to burn out from all the various high spots.

I'm obviously a fan of The Young Bucks. They're entertaining, they're funny, brash, they have a "fuck the rules" attitude and the fact is so many people, especially guys like The Hardyz and The Dudleys who have all been in the game for so long and have seen great tag team after great tag team, can't be wrong. They love The Young Bucks, most promoters love The Young Bucks and they are essentially what brought back the "Too Sweet" hand gesture that Triple H now uses to pander to the IWC every time he signs a big guy outside WWE like Balor or Steen.

To say their act won't get over in the "big time" is laughable. Its gotten over everywhere they've gone. Japanese fans can't even understand what they say and yet last year 30,000 people were chanting "Young Bucks". They appeal to everyone because they're entertaining, whether you hate it or you like it, thats a fact. If its not your taste, thats fine, but that doesn't mean you discredit them because what they've done has worked.

They were told by TNA management, by ROH management, not to do certain things. "Stop using Superkicks", "stop doing crotch chops", "stop doing the Too Sweet sign", and after they got fired by ROH - and before that, TNA - they gave in and told everyone to fuck off and that they were going to do whatever they wanted. And that has worked ten fold for them.

The Young Bucks for me, are the same reason guys like Kevin Owens have taken off. Cut from the same cloth. Anyone here saying, "if they went to WWE they'd need a makeover" or "they wouldn't work in WWE" is a fucking ******. They'd arrive into WWE immensely over and their style would blow WWE fans heads off, the same way Balor's did. The Hardyz, The Dudleys, Balor, Kevin Owens are some pretty good references for how good The Young Bucks are. Bucks = money, there's no other way of putting it and now, they're ROH's money.

I agree for the most part. It seems that just about every star of even moderate acclaim on the indie circuit has their own fans proclaiming them to be the greatest thing in all wrestling history and the Young Bucks are no exception. They may be the physical embodiment of that movement and I'm just not overly impressed with them.

When I look at the Bucks, I see a team that incorporates, or at least tries to incorporate, just about every sort of negative indie wrestling stereotype into their personas and matches. It's done purposely, for the most part, and it definitely screams something that appeals to a particular audience. They demonstrate little to no use or understanding of psychology, their matches are frequently composed of little more than high spots, the pace is so jacked that it's all about setting up the next spot rather than selling the moves or working to tell a story inside the ring. If that's what someone's into, then more power to 'em. It just doesn't work for me.

I don't see the Bucks coming to WWE. A few years back, if I remember correctly, they had a tryout with WWE and it didn't go over so well, allegedly, because of their attitude. I don't remember all the details, but I do know it had something to do with disrespecting Booker T and some others who were present at said tryout. If they did come to WWE, I think there'd be a major overhaul in their style and it'd be something of an improvement, at least in my opinion. They might actually learn how to use psychology and storytelling, they might learn that there's a lot more to a match than to just flip, flop and fly around like a squirrel on meth. After all, they'd have to cut back on the high spots if they made it to the main roster because they couldn't last. WWE's touring schedule is beyond hectic and it wouldn't take too long for their bodies to burn out from all the various high spots.

Problem is, if you overhaul what got them over with the independent crowd to begin with, you fundamentally change the reason anyone would want to tune in to your product to see them, specifically.

I forget who it was I was arguing with here a bit back, but the claim was basically that if companies have interest in a talent, it means that talent is good. My response was that that's not true at all. If a company has interest in a talent it's becuase they think they can make money off that talent. TNA and WWE's involvement with The Jersey Shore are a prime example of this.

I just think the Bucks enjoy being big fish in a little pond, becuase where they are, doing what they are doing, the crowds they perform in front of appreciate them. If you fundamentally change them like TNA tried to, and like WWE would no doubt do, they lose their appeal (what little of it they have).

I'm obviously a fan of The Young Bucks. They're entertaining, they're funny, brash, they have a "fuck the rules" attitude and the fact is so many people, especially guys like The Hardyz and The Dudleys who have all been in the game for so long and have seen great tag team after great tag team, can't be wrong. They love The Young Bucks, most promoters love The Young Bucks and they are essentially what brought back the "Too Sweet" hand gesture that Triple H now uses to pander to the IWC every time he signs a big guy outside WWE like Balor or Steen.
That handsign is such a stupid reminder of all the bullshit the Kliq pulled off in their heyday. Nice to see WWE has done such a good job spinning that stuff as "good".
To say their act won't get over in the "big time" is laughable. Its gotten over everywhere they've gone. Japanese fans can't even understand what they say and yet last year 30,000 people were chanting "Young Bucks". They appeal to everyone because they're entertaining, whether you hate it or you like it, thats a fact. If its not your taste, thats fine, but that doesn't mean you discredit them because what they've done has worked.
"Everyone". Gotta love how fans of one promotion in another country suddenly becomes "the whole entire world" even though every previous post here read "I don't like them". So its everyone minus 4 then? No ones discrediting them. We're saying their work style is extremely divisive.
They were told by TNA management, by ROH management, not to do certain things. "Stop using Superkicks", "stop doing crotch chops", "stop doing the Too Sweet sign", and after they got fired by ROH - and before that, TNA - they gave in and told everyone to fuck off and that they were going to do whatever they wanted. And that has worked ten fold for them.

And with good reason they said it. Its so cheap to just rely on the insider stuff and never do anything that feels legitimately organic and original.

The Young Bucks for me, are the same reason guys like Kevin Owens have taken off. Cut from the same cloth. Anyone here saying, "if they went to WWE they'd need a makeover" or "they wouldn't work in WWE" is a fucking ******. They'd arrive into WWE immensely over and their style would blow WWE fans heads off, the same way Balor's did. The Hardyz, The Dudleys, Balor, Kevin Owens are some pretty good references for how good The Young Bucks are. Bucks = money, there's no other way of putting it and now, they're ROH's money.

No. Just listen to your delusional self. Finn Balor had something unique in his presence. So did Kevin Owens. And people are getting sick of WWE abusing the Superkicks and guess who's becoming a prime offender. Did Kevin Steen get signed because of Superkicks, "Too Sweet" and ripping off WWE apparel? No, it was his ROH World title run and feud with Generico. Did Prince Devitt get signed because of Superkicks? No, it was because of his entrance and unique attitude.

How about instead of being a wise ass and calling people "fucking ******s" (I'll infract you the next time I see you use that line) you learn to look at things from other people's perspective?

The young bucks are a joke. Me and a 3-legged raccoon is a more entertaining tag team than those jokes. They'll never go to Wwe cuz they know they don't have the talent to make it. They'll just stay as others have said "big fish in a small pond"

I like them. They've found their niche and are very good at fun spotfest matches. And as for all the "gimmick infringement" surely copying all of these aspects from different wrestlers IS what makes them stand out?

I believe they could work a more psychology based style if they wanted to, but they choose not to. I can remember a time in TNA around 2011 when the Bucks were split and Matt had a great storytelling style match with Kazarian, they also had a good match against each other.

However as their current style stands, it's great for opening contests and comedy style matches, rather than the main event.

I love The Young Bucks and honestly think they're the best tag team in wrestling right now. Do they go overboard with too sweets, crotch chops and superkicks? Yeah probably. Do they wrestle a totally indy style that WWE wouldn't want them to do? I'm sure. But the fact of the matter is these guys do a ton of cool and innovative double team moves inside the ring that nobody else does and THAT is what got them as popular as they are.

I understand why they drive some people nuts, but to say they're awful or to discount their ability as a team is laughable. Also if they ever do go to WWE, I think they could do exactly what they do now and get over big time, but they don't need to go to WWE, they probably make more money not signing with them.

Not to mention their finishing move formally known as the Meltzer Driver, now Indytaker just makes me wonder if these two are out to actually entertain the masses or just give Dave Meltzer a raging stiffie.

Their finisher is More Bang For Your Buck, not Indytaker.

And what does it matter what they name their moves?

Meltzer Driver and IndyTaker are actually two different moves. Both are double team tombstone piledrivers with a springboard, but the Meltzer driver includes a springboard 450 while the IndyTaker is just a springboard straight into the spike.

I like details.

I like them. They've found their niche and are very good at fun spotfest matches. And as for all the "gimmick infringement" surely copying all of these aspects from different wrestlers IS what makes them stand out?

I believe they could work a more psychology based style if they wanted to, but they choose not to. I can remember a time in TNA around 2011 when the Bucks were split and Matt had a great storytelling style match with Kazarian, they also had a good match against each other.

However as their current style stands, it's great for opening contests and comedy style matches, rather than the main event.

You're the same guy who used to say he saw nothing appealing in Kevin Owens, before he signed with WWE. Despite the fact he, like The Young Bucks, offered something unique that nobody in the WWE offers and truthfully, nobody really in wrestling offers. The Bucks offer that, they offer a fast paced, high octane, spectactular, ENTERTAINING (it's in caps because most wrestlers nowadays don't know how to be that) style and its obviously done them fairly well considering NJPW has had them under contract, ROH has them under their most lucrative contract ever, TNA wanted them, Lucha Underground wanted them and WWE offered them a tryout.

But they're all wrong, The Dudleys are wrong, The Hardyz are wrong. I'm wrong. You're right dude, The Young Bucks suck, fucking spot monkeys.

I enjoy their matches and think they are a fun act for spotfest matches, ROH is the right place for them. I'm not a huge fan of their tassles or 90's look or the "superkick party" thing, overusing a finishing move is a bad thing. I don't think they would work in a WWE environment.

Pros - entertaining matches / spots. Tons of great team moves
Cons - Outdated look / copying past legends

They do go overboard on the super kicks but still think they're a very good tag team. They've said all the cliches they do is not ripping at those times and wrestlers but honoring them as that's what they enjoyed as fans when the were young.

They are putting asses in the seat for most Indy promotions. The line for their picture and autograph at Field of Honor was over 100 deep for over an hour. It dwarfed that of the Japanese stars that were there. By that measure they are over. I am just wondering how much Sinclair broke open the vault to pay them? Unless they are making them the highest paid in the company for exclusivity, they are probably allowed to do Indy shows and make more of a mint than they already do. As for WWE: Unless Trips is willing to pay them Daniel Bryan-type dollars, no way do the Bucks sign with the E. They would lose too much money doing far more work.

I have to be honest...I haven't seen many of their matches but I've never seen a good one. For the longest time I was just still calling them Generation Me but they sucked in TNA. Then I've seen a handful of their matches in NJPW and thought they were regular

The Bucks have had some good matches here and there, and they don't bore me. Hey they still remind me of the Hardys from '98, look and wrestling style. Granted, all they could do in TNA is feud with the Machine Guns, and that's all I remember them for. I see the appeal from an indy perspective, but I see it from a big league level too. Let's say WWE were interested at some point. Before they'd get the yes out of their mouths they'd be sent to NXT.Take Generico and Steen as examples. How much needed to be done with them when they made the jump? Hell I'm an ROH fan mainly due to Steen's charisma and style. With the Bucks, it's more of a seen it before feel when I watch them. ROH and New Japan is the right fit for their gimmick and style, and I'm not mad at them. But sooner or later the schtick will wear thin.

Meh, I'm not sure on these guys.

I agree with some of the pro's and con's already stated.

They do have some great spots in their matches but there is hardly any substance to it. I like matches that tell a story but I've personally never seen these guys deliver it.

I like there chemistry, they have talent and they are over with the Indy fans.

I do feel a move too NXT would be good for them, give them a little direction and whether it works out or not. Their getting paid.

The one time I have went to ROH they were probably the most entertaining in their one match then most of the other guys on the roster that came out several times. They are very good live and kept the crowd standing up. I've been a fan since Wrestle Kingdom last year. I underestimated their presence in person. They are kind of a niche thing I would say though. Can't picture them outside of what they are doing now to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back