• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The WWE Series: 7) Ryback

What kind of investment has Ryback been?

• Positive

• Negative

• Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adam Rush

Can you feel...the electricity?
What kind of investment has Ryback been for the WWE so far? Positive, neutral, or negative?

Well, I'm going to count his Skip Sheffield days. He didn't do much as Skip Sheffield, but I did sorta feel that this guy could be special. He left and came back as Ryback, and has consistently been slaying jobbers. McMahon is pushing this guy heavily, and that alone is enough to garner him at least a neutral. But I think he's a positive based on the fact that he's already doing better than most people expected.

Thoughts?

Like my series? Feel free to rep. Also feel free to request :)

I went ahead and said positive for now, but it 100% depends on his undefeated streak angle. He has done well so far and the potential is certainly there, which is why I did not pick neutral just yet.

Ryback's undefeated streak will make or break his future. Things may look great right now, but one squash loss will destroy him and any credibility he has will vanish as well. If they keep this going for a while and not make the same mistakes that WCW or TNA did with similar characters, then Ryback can be a very positive investment. WCW's Goldberg had one of the most famous undefeated streaks in history, but an absolutely awful ending. TNA's Crimson is the other extreme end of the spectrum. The ending was fine, but he was undefeated for over a year, yet they did not promote his character nearly as strongly as they should have.

Ryback will be a positive investment if this angle goes well. He should stay undefeated and slowly work his way up the card. From jobbers to jobbers on the roster, to midcarders, to the Intercontinental Champion, to tag teams of midcarders, to upper midcarders, to main eventers, to the World or WWE Champion. If they keep promoting his undefeated status but also build up someone who can dethrone him, it will benefit them both. Ryback has the potential to be one of the best monsters WWE has created in a while, and while I voted positive, I nearly chose neutral. We need to see how this angle plays out first.

i voted neutral. he has not done badly so far. but you can't really make a judgement about ryback until he starts wrestling some guys with real talent. also need to see him on the mic.

Negative. This guy is totally worthless in my book. Casual fans love him because WWE tells them to, but the vast majority of actual wrestling fans despise him, because he has no talent, plain and simple. He's a cheap knockoff of an already mediocre talent in Goldberg, and beyond the fact that he's been fed dozens of jobbers, he's done nothing.

The reason I put negative instead of neutral is that WWE's insistence on putting Ryback on every PPV card, usually right before the main event, is hurting the quality of their events.

Positive.

The Ryback character has everything in the makings to be a big attraction. Him being compared to Goldberg and hearing "Goldberg!" chants during his match is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. Goldberg was basically the first wrestler to have a highly impressive win streak in the modern era (I'm talking from 1990 to today). If Ryback can do something similar it makes for a great wrestling storyline PROVIDED his challenges increase.

But the good news is his challenges HAVE increased (which is more than I can say for Brodus Clay). Ryback has moved past beating jobbers to lower card guys on the WWE roster.

The trick is they have to keep it interesting. If he is going to be feuding with this Jinder Mahal then they can give him some adversity but not at the expense of losing a match but it could lead to his first REAL PPV match.

He can start moving up through the roster and win one of the mid card titles and hold it for a while. Then a GM or Heel can screw him out of the title in a way where he doesn't actually get pinned or lose a match which will build a storyline and may be the high point where we get to the point where he is in a 1 on 1 match for the World or WWE title.

Well, i don't exactly like it, but i have mixed feelings between neutral and negative, i know he has an undefeated streak, but look at his oponents, he hasn't had a real oponent just yet, at this moment look like he might start a feud with Jinder Mahal but at the moment is like the blind leading the bind, and i read somewere that o lot of the superstars don't want to work with him, so that is not good news for him, he's strong, i give him that, but to me, he has no personality, i think he's going the same way Ezekiel Jakson went, he was dominant and unstopable, but he lost the title to Cody Rhodes cleanly? I have a feeling that his undefeated streak might end the same way, we have talked about guys like Barret or Sandow, those guys have personality, talent, and can work the mic and the crowd, i'm sorry to say but Rybak doesn't, so unless they have a miracle and start a feud with Cena, Punk, Randy Orton, Sheamus or Triple H, i don't see a bright future for him, sorry........

Neutral with a slight positive so far for Ryback. He's getting more and more over with fans, but of course has yet to graduate from two minute filler matches.

I've always believed that it was Skip Sheffield's injury, not the Summerslam loss, that killed the Nexus. Once Skip was gone, they just didn't look like a threat anymore. Who knows how things might have turned out?

Ryback's build has been moving at a snail's pace, but I have to say it's starting to show fruits. Crowds are chanting along with him now. The cheers on TV are starting to sound more real and less canned. Even the 'Goldberg' chants, as someone pointed out, are not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd keep this undefeated streak going all the way to Wrestlemania. That's a potential money match. He'd even make a decent backup plan for Undertaker.

I'm neutral but more towards negative with Ryback. It's really hard to take a guy seriously who is sooo much like Goldberg and hearing the fans yelling Goldberg the whole time he's in the ring. When Goldberg started his streak he was feuding with low to mid-level talent as well. Bill actually did have some charisma where the Ryback character is just plain stupid. And I just can't stop rolling my eyes and laughing when he says "Feed me more.".

Who knows in the future he may end up a monster and grow on me, But right now I think he ill end up more the Jack Swagger route.

I voted neutral for now, but at they they are starting to progress with him. He is actually beating people we know now. I think if they keep the progression going he could turn into a positive. The key is not letting him get stale. When Goldberg had his undefeated streak my friends and I could not wait to see who he was going to crush that week. I am curious to see if Ryback can get that kind of fan support.

He looks impressive against dudes that are half his size so far. That's about it as far as any commentary you can really have on Ryback. "Yeah. He can throw that one no name 200lbs guy across the ring like nothing" is the best way to summarize his matches so far.

He's got a great size, unique look with the anger, and RVD get up. However, it's too early. We've seen one dimension of his character. It's basically just been Kill Mode. Neither positive or negative.

i PICKED POSITIVE, RYBACK TO ME IS GOLDBERG ALL OVER AGAIN EXCEPT THE DIFFRENCE IS HE'S A WWE GUY NOT A PRODUCT OF WCW...... IN OTHER WORDS SINCE HE DOES HAVE THE SUPPORT OF VINCE AND H.H.H HE WIL BE BUILT CORRECTLY AND HE W ILL HAVE A GOLDBERG LIKE PUSH UNTIL HE WINS THE WORLD TITLE.... HE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A MAIN EVENT THREAT TO BOTH HEELS AND FACES(KINDA LIKE THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR) AND MAYBE WE WILL SEE A HOGAN VS WARRIOR 2 IN CENA VS RYBACK BOUT 5 YRS DOWN THE LINE IF HE IS BUILT INTO A LEGITAMATE THREAT.... HELL SOMEONE SAID THAT HE CAN EVEN BE A BACK UP PLAN TO GO AGAINST TAKER AT A WM..... BUT THE REAL REASON I PICKED POSITIVE IS BECAUSE I HAVE A FRIEND THAT DESPISES WRESTLING TO THE FULLEST, BUUUTTTTTTT, WHEN RYBACK IS ON HE FUCKING IS GLUED TO THE T.V UNTIL HIS MATCH IS OVER, IN OTHER WORDS RYBACK CAN ATTRACT PEOPLE THAT DONT EVEN WATCH WRESTLING, EVEN MY COUSIN WHO HASNT WATCHED IN OVER 10 YRS SEEN A RYBACK MATCH AND ASKED ME "WHO IS THAT GUY?" I TOLD EM AND ASKED WHY AND HE REPLIED" BECAUSE HE LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING MONSTER" AND NOW HE'S BACK WATCHING WRESTLING AGAING NOT BECAUSE OF PUNK, CENA, OR ORTON BUT BECAUSE OF THIS MONSTER NAMED RYBACK..... THAT IS WHY I CHOSE POSITIVE......

Neutral.
Cause nobody can honestly say which one he is yet. I think he did well with Nexus as an enforcer for the short period of time he was showcased. He's getting kinda stale right now. He really needs a feud.
By the way, I like your series but you have to stop using guys that haven't been around long such as Ryback. Technically a person can't make a proper judgement on that person... Try Mark Henry.

I dont know how to vote in these things, but I vote positive because Ryback has stood out to me and unlike so many before him, seems like a legit contender, a legit monster. They could throw him in a title match tomorrow and it would be believable to me. I am a huge ryback fan.

Too soon to tell IMO. They are building him up in a way that he will either succeed in a big fashion, or fall into an oblivion never seen before. The only thing I hope is they don't keep his "record" because that would make the situation that much worse. Once he learns how to actually wrestle and not be a high risk in the ring with other Superstars, I think he will be ok. Right now, he's a mess and extremely clumsy. He doesn't sell moves well nor does he have great ring presence. He does a couple of power moves and then calls it a match.

I love the intensity and the brute force that he has, but the sooner he can back that up with actual wrestling ability, the better off and more successful he will be.

negative 100%.
unlike some other of the around 10 squash guys currently on WWE, ryback is a 100% goldberg clone but everything goldberg had, ryback doesnt. for me goldberg was the personified "it-factor", he just had this enormous intensity to him. ryback just walks around the ring like an idiot and rises and lowers his arms. its not intensity, its boring. also, i think goldbergs moveset was just perfect, ryback really needs something like the spear, which also would make him even more of a goldberg ripoff.
if you want to legitimize him, either have him beat goldberg(which noone would believe) or have goldberg mentor him(which, like the former, goldberg would 99% not be willing to do). i would prefer watching goldberg eat a pizza in the ring than to watch a single ryback match.

I am neutral with him. I love the fact they are slowly building him up, but where he hasn't had mic time, it is really hard to gauge how good he really is.

I voted neutral but it was really hard to not vote negative. I don't like him at all. I didn't like him in Nexus and I like him even less now. I felt bad when he got injured but that was the closest I came to caring about him. He debuted as stale. If he was the FIRST of the new crew to come out with an undefeated streak, it may have helped him, but everything about him from his clothes to his look to his "character" screamed "not again." Not too mention he lost ALL credibility with me with his finisher, which is by far the LEAST painful looking thing he does to his opponents. He's just boring.

Positive

Ryback will do well, A lot of fans love Big Musclehead's who do a lot of power moves. Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, and Kevin Nash spring to mind.

Ryback's streak could be in jeopady soon. I read that WWE are high on Jinder Mahal as a future Heel. What better way to push Mahal further than have him end Ryback's winning streak. A fued between the 2 has just begun. However i can't see Jinder going over Ryback with how much WWE have invested in Ryback so far.

One of the main reasons i watch Smackdown is to see Ryback. Even if it's only a squash match it's still fun to watch him overpower his opponents. Like someone else said in an earlier post the local jobber squashes were getting stale, so it's good to see him facing proper guys on the roster now. He is now defending himself a lot more in his matches rather than just dominating, which is ideal to show the Audience he is getting better competition.

I went with neutral because we need to see what Ryback can do on the mic and in actual feuds rather than squash matches.

It's just too soon to go with positive, but that's the way I'm leaning towards at this time because Ryback does have a lot of positives going on. Ryback has a great physical presence about him and he does bring a great deal of intensity to his matches. Ryback's a big guy, but he's an athletic big guy. He can move well inside the ring rather than plod along like a slow, clumsy ox such as we've seen with powerhouse wrestlers with great looks like Ezekiel Jackson, Mason Ryan & Rob Terry.

Some aren't thrilled with WWE making him into a new Goldberg. It doesn't really bother me because based on what I've seen of him in his Ryback character, coupled with what I saw of him during his days as Skip Sheffield, he's head and shoulders better than Goldberg was anyhow.

Neutral for me.... and thats even counting the skip sheffield days... the thing about him is that he really hasnt done anything yet.... as part of the nexus he was the muscle but on a group of guys who beat up people 7 to 1 you kinda just see him as part of the pack..... and now his undefeated streak hasnt really taken off yet, he is till on the radar but he hasnt beaten anyone big..... so for now im voting neutral and we´ll see what happens down the line

Positive all the way around, I'm a huge fan.

Ryback is a one of those guys that you would never want to piss off in real life, guy is massive with a fury unseen in the WWE in some time.

Not talented? Have you actually watched his matches? Ryback can flat out go in the ring. Even in the Nexus days, had he not broken his ankle he would have made the perfect enforcer to Wade Barrett's leadership.

I see some huge victories on the horizon for Ryback. First, I see him coming out to squash the hell out of Heath Slater, everyone needs a little ginger in their diet if he is to be fed more. Second, I see him destroying either Miz for the US Title or a heel champion for the US Title.

What makes Ryback so unique, is that he is actually a monster that is a face for once.

"I'm from the Neutral Planet of Neutrality. And If I die, Tell my Wife, Hello."

That should be Ryback's catchphrase.

It's really way too early to figure out if his career will impact WWE in a positive or negative way. You could really argue either way right now.

He is a "Techno-Organic, Terminator type character (I Think?) that has cool gear, some basic rock beat w/ cool pyro, and some devastating moves."

also.....

He is "A character that makes no sense or has any interesting backround, doesn't talk (besides pretty stupid, on-liner, catchphrases), is a snore-fest of repetative squash matches, and has ABSOLUTELY NO rhythm with that basic walk/head bop of his."

This guy seems great and awful at the same time.

The one thing I will say that REALLY scares me for the future, is that apparently, other WWE talent doesn't want to get in the ring with him. That is a BAD sign, even if Vinnie Mac drools for you.

I voted positive. He is a fresh powerhouse. Kind of like a hybrid of Brock & RVD. He does moves that Brock used to do and has an attire like RVD. The fans respond to his catchprase and thats very positive. What more can you ask for at this point? He is obviously over so everything has been going as planned with him i assume.

I think he's a pretty huge positive. I'm not counting his days as Skip Sheffield, since it was a different gimmick. He was a cowboy then, now he's The Terminator. His in ring skills are pretty good, and would like to hear him on the mic soon. If he has good mic skills, he will DEFINITELY be in the main event soon, but that's if has mic skills.

Right now ... it is definitely positive.

He gets huge reactions from the crowds. He is getting plenty of signs dedicated directly to him. He is definitely over and believable in the role he has been placed in. So, for now, it is positive.

The answer on this guy though is going to be down the road.

As Dagger said ... if they promote and run this undefeated streak well, then he will be a money-maker for years to come. Obviously, eventually it ends, and that is almost just as huge as how long it goes on. Goldberg's end sucked and they never used him correctly after it. Samoa Joe's end was to one of the best of all time in a great match ... and they built off of it fairly well (even if they then trailed off later). Crimson ... shit, did people even know or care he was undefeated?

There are a ton of angles for them to take with this, but it is going to have to include title climbing (US Title, Intercontinental Title, then World title of some sort) and solid fueds ... then and only then we will know the full effect of Ryback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back