• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Undertaker's toughest opponent.... Kurt Angle?

Cereal Killer

Boy Better Know
Over the years we have seen Kurt Angle and also The Undertaker put on some heavy matches. Not only against each other but against other in ring greats.

Angle's bad-ass opponents: Lesnar, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels etc.

The dead man: Triple H, HBK, Lesnar, The Rock etc.

But have you realized that when they have faced off together, we have never seen a clear winner?
In their first 2 matches there was outside interference, another match where there was 2 Kurt's. Even though the real Angle came right at the end, the win still counted (so it was fair and in some ways, not fair)

We saw another great match at No Way Out 2006 where Taker had him in one of the closest pin counts ever and then Angle pinned him afterwards in which Taker got out just a split second after the 3 count. Some say that Taker should have one.

And another one (my favorite) is when Angle made The Undertaker tap out (take that CM Punk) and at the same time Angle was pinned.

Angle has said that he was the one that was meant to end the streak in 2006 but instead he left for TNA. I think he would of by submission. Angle has never tapped and he can make anyone tap in any submission move.

So do you think that Kurt has been a toughest opponent for the deadman? Yes he had some great matches with HHH and HBK but he beat them fair and square, 2 yrs in a row each.

Also how do you think Angle would have beaten him by submission?

How do you think the outcome would have been? Do you think Taker would have retired(no possibility of the sting match) and would angle stayed with WWE meaning no Angle for TNA. So would TNA be here today?

Angle left in the Summer of 06 so he still could have ended the streak at WrestleMania XXII. I think that's what The Undertaker wanted, but Vince and co. decided against it so Angle defended his title against Rey and Orton and Undertaker had a forgettable casket match against Mark Henry.

It was at the Rumble prior WrestleMania XXII that Undertaker came out following Angle's title match where he called out Angle.

So if the WWE went through with Angle v Taker at Mania and Angle was scheduled to win I would think it would have to be via submission. Either have Taker in the ankle lock for a long time, get out and then back in the ankle lock and tap, or be in the ankle lock for a long time, get out, and then have Angle put him in a submission he never used before, have the announcers flip on how crazy the move is and have Taker tap to it.

This could have kept Angle around as being the man who ended the streak would have been an easy way to keep him on top as opposed to when he lost the title at Mania, he seemed to go down got shifted to ECW ad then asked for his release.

This thread right here...

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=215488

...illustrates some of the points OP has raised, but looking at their join date, I'm guessing they missed the bulk of the WZ tournament.

Regardless, it is one of those irking rivalries that never really took off the ground, thus never demonstrated which was the better wrestler of the two.

The Undertaker has one solid pinfall victory over Angle in a singles match, though this was way back in 2000 when Angle was nowhere near the heights he would eventually reach.

Conversely, when Angle defeated the Undertaker in 2006, both men - whilst not exactly enjoying the best years of their respective careers - were still wrestling on a regular basis and putting on consistently good, if not great, matches.

It's a difficult one. As you can see from the tournament, the right honourable posters of this forum democratically decreed that the Undertaker would win in a match between the two in a three stages of hell stipulation, however, the WZ tourney is nothing more than an internet popularity contest, so interpret it whichever way you like.

What was their relationship like?

Undertaker was always the king of the locker room but Kurt had every right to just walk in there and don't give a crap. Angle broke his neck and won an olympic gold medal. Kurt could choke out Taker in 10 seconds.

Yeah, Taker's greatest opponent will always be Father Time. lol

For the record, I have to agree that the Taker matches that made him look toughest were always The Foley matches with Kane matches, early on, coming in a close second.

I think he is one of if not Taker's toughest opponent. Their matches were wars and the outcomes were always up for question. I think if Kurt would have ended the streak he could have stayed on top longer using the fact that he was the one. I think if he did end the streak he would have either made him submit with the ankle lock that he had on for a long time or maybe it is a situation where Taker doesn't tap but passes out from the pain and Angle winning that way. Would have been a good way to set up a rematch for the next year if they chose that route.

It's true that nobody has the win/loss record against 'Taker that Angle has. When you think about it, that's really saying something. It's saying something because over the past 20+ years, 'Taker has been in the ring with or defeated every major wrestling star in the business not named Sting. So to say that Kurt has 'Taker's number is a big feather in the hat of Angle.

However, I've always considered 'Taker's toughest opponent to be none other than Mick Foley. Foley took 'Taker from his slow zombie-like offense and no-selling; to a very good in ring performer. Let's be honest, before 'Taker's feud with Foley, he was very one dimensional in the ring and on the mic. Foley brought out the best in 'Taker and their matches were always wars and were always fun to watch.

Angle may have 'Taker's number, but Foley was his toughest opponent by far.

Mankind clearly has the best win/loss ppv record against the Undertaker. They have had some of the most brutal matches in WWE by 1990s standards, and this is the reason I say Mankind was Undertakers toughest opponent.
Kurt Angle has shot off from the mouth for years now, anything he is quoted as saying should be taken with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back