The Undertaker's Return

OYDK

King Of The Ring
So Taker "returned" last night on Smackdown during the Cutting Edge and had some pretty interesting things to say while addressing the Smackdown team. First, he mentioned that Wrestlemania will no longer define who the Undertaker is and he's back to dig some holes and bang some hoes... or something like that... the second intriguing statement made by the Deadman was, "if you lose to Team Raw, you'll have reason to fear The Undertaker" (I'm paraphrasing), possibly setting the stage for something further down the line.

Now I'm not sure, but it seemed to me like Taker was insinuating that he was going to be around a lot more from now until Mania, maybe even regularly. I definitely got the feeling that he'll be wrestling some matches in the near future, if not at TLC than undoubtedly at the Rumble. One thing that I noticed was the amount of history Taker had with nearly everybody in the ring at one point. Orton, Edge, Shane, and Wyatt had, of course, battled him at Mania, and Ambrose had been involved in a number of segments with Taker as part of the Shield, which leaves... AJ Styles.

There's been some talk (mostly on this site) of a Taker/Styles clash (pun intended thank you) happening at the RR, and by the way Taker was talking, it doesn't seem as impossible as it did a week ago. I mean, the "face that runs the place" shtick is a perfect segway into a Taker feud if you ask me. Personally, I think this would be a sight to see and if the WWE has a chance to make it happen, they should. Just me though.

Thoughts on Taker's return?

The other thing we had was AJ basically saying that he wasn't above sabotaging the match if provoked. He said this right before the UT's music hit. It makes sense that AJ sabotages the match as it adds heat to a very rushed TLC match with Ambrose and segways him in to a feud with IT.

Wishful thinking but plausible.

Based on his exact words, it gives me the impression that he's going to be around a lot more often instead of simply being around for the build to his WrestleMania match. If that's the case, I'm not really sure as to what his role would be as it's doubtful that he'll be wrestling very much, if at all, until WrestleMania. Taker's no spring chicken and he's spent so many years as a special attraction for WrestleMania that I don't see Vince being willing to risk injury to Taker before then.

Of course, Taker himself may simply feel really good and may be able to talk Vince into it, if he hasn't already. Taker has a ton of stroke and he's earned it almost exclusively by being a pro's pro so if he really, really feels like he's up to wrestling more often, then I could see him getting his way. My guess is that he's one of the participants in the Royal Rumble next year, which could also be used as a means of beginning his WrestleMania feud. Part of me would love to see a Taker vs. Styles feud at WrestleMania over the title; it's a match that nobody ever thought they'd see, Styles is probably the closest guy on the roster to be able to give a Taker vs. HBK type of performance and Styles has the ability to help cover for Taker's limitations.

I think Undertaker laid the groundwork for another loss at WrestleMania when he said WM will no longer define him.

It appears as if Taker will face A.J. Styles at the Royal Rumble, in Texas, which is Taker's home state.

The Deadman will win the title, which will set up a Mania feud with John Cena where he'll beat the Undertaker to win #16 and surpass Ric Flair.

I think Undertaker laid the groundwork for another loss at WrestleMania when he said WM will no longer define him.

It appears as if Taker will face A.J. Styles at the Royal Rumble, in Texas, which is Taker's home state.

The Deadman will win the title, which will set up a Mania feud with John Cena where he'll beat the Undertaker to win #16 and surpass Ric Flair.

He won't be surpassing Ric Flair he will simply tie the record. I sure hope John Cena never gets #16 and WWE makes Ric Flair's 16 title runs the most ever. Not until someone who can outdo Ric Flair comes along should there be another wrestler who beats that record.

As for the Undertaker, I wish he would have told Shane to step aside and the Undertaker takes his spot at Survivor Series, or better yet, Undertaker returns last week to fill the spot instead of it being Shane.

I was going to say the same exact thing. I think you hit it on the head. And I'm okay with all of it actually.

Doesn't matter. Even if Undertaker wrestles every single week and knocks off the entire roster, he'll still forever be nothing more than the guy who couldn't beat Brock Lesnar. Undertaker's career ended years ago.

If that match happens, there is NO REASON for Undertaker to lose to Cena. NONE. Cena still have years left to win #16 and tie Flair. Undertaker should beat Cena clean and retire the next night as champion, and Cena could finally turn heel.

Doesn't matter. Even if Undertaker wrestles every single week and knocks off the entire roster, he'll still forever be nothing more than the guy who couldn't beat Brock Lesnar. Undertaker's career ended years ago.

If that match happens, there is NO REASON for Undertaker to lose to Cena. NONE. Cena still have years left to win #16 and tie Flair. Undertaker should beat Cena clean and retire the next night as champion, and Cena could finally turn heel.

You want a guy whose "career ended years ago" to win the title, beat the top guy in wrestling, and then retire without giving a final rub to someone who has a future? No comprende?

You want a guy whose "career ended years ago" to win the title, beat the top guy in wrestling, and then retire without giving a final rub to someone who has a future? No comprende?

Undertaker's career ended years ago with him getting absolutely annihilated by Brock Lesnar a thousand times. But this way, at LEAST he could retire with some tiny shred of dignity. Undertaker should absolutely NOT go out with another loss. Undertaker should retire as champion, after having finally won the WWE Championship one last time, after not having held it for almost 15 years.

What I would love to see is AJ Styles Vs. The Undertaker for the title at Royal Rumble. It has never happened before.

It would be a great way to give rub off The Undertaker to AJ Styles.

Styles Vs. Michaels or Styles Vs. The Undertaker. Any match of these two is enough to sell the event.

I guess that The Undertaker might be involved at Survivor Series. Even if not, he should've two matches at Royal Rumble and then at Wrestlemania.

I’m glad that the Undertaker is back. I was expecting Shane to be injured after the attack by Braun Strowman on Raw, thus being replaced by the Phenom. I guess that's not happening.

I would like to see the Brothers Of Destruction get one more run with a set of WWE Tag Team Championship Title Belts. I don’t care if it’s a one month run or a one year run. They could help the Smackdown Tag Team division out.

I wouldn’t mind if Undertaker had a run with the WWE World Championship Title Belt. His side plates on Shop.WWE look pretty cool. Maybe due to his age, he could resort to shortcuts and turn heel. I'd love to see a new cross branded Ministry of Darkness with Kane, Big Show, Finn Balor, the Ascension, among others.

We’ll just have to wait and see how creative they get.

Undertaker's career ended years ago with him getting absolutely annihilated by Brock Lesnar a thousand times. But this way, at LEAST he could retire with some tiny shred of dignity. Undertaker should absolutely NOT go out with another loss. Undertaker should retire as champion, after having finally won the WWE Championship one last time, after not having held it for almost 15 years.

If anyone deserves to go out a champion, it's UT. He already did his honors for Brock. I would love to see UT retire a champion, if it could be done well.

How did he get absolutely annihilated by Brock Lesnar a thousand times ? Wrestlemania was the only one that was really one sided. Undertaker won the rematch, sure here was contraversy but he still won. The last one could have gone either way and it took Lesnar giving him a low blow.

How did he get absolutely annihilated by Brock Lesnar a thousand times ? Wrestlemania was the only one that was really one sided. Undertaker won the rematch, sure here was contraversy but he still won. The last one could have gone either way and it took Lesnar giving him a low blow.

Unforgiven 2002 - the only even fight they had, and it ended in a double DQ.

No Mercy 2002 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

No Mercy 2003 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

WrestleMania 30 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

SummerSlam 2015 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker, and the finish made Undertaker look like a pathetic nobody and Lesnar look invincible.

Hell in a Cell 2015 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

After Undertaker has sacrificed his entire legacy just to stroke Lesnar's ego a billion times, the LEAST WWE can do is have Undertaker go out like a legend and not a nobody. Undertaker NEEDS to win at WrestleMania 33.

Unforgiven 2002 - the only even fight they had, and it ended in a double DQ.

No Mercy 2002 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

No Mercy 2003 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

WrestleMania 30 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

SummerSlam 2015 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker, and the finish made Undertaker look like a pathetic nobody and Lesnar look invincible.

Hell in a Cell 2015 - Lesnar annihilates Undertaker and wins.

After Undertaker has sacrificed his entire legacy just to stroke Lesnar's ego a billion times, the LEAST WWE can do is have Undertaker go out like a legend and not a nobody. Undertaker NEEDS to win at WrestleMania 33.

Good God man, is it really so easy for legends to become nobodies in your eyes? Coming out on the short end of one feud over the course of more than a quarter century doesn't negate everything else that Taker's done, the accomplishments he's achieved, the feuds he's had and the moments he's helped create. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, coming up short against one opponent is infinitesimal compared to Taker's entire career. It's sad that you can write off greatness so ridiculously easy.

I'd have personally preferred that Taker's streak hadn't been ended by Lesnar but, surprise surprise, we don't always get what we want. Vince wanted him to and Taker agreed to it; believe it or not, that's the way things are supposed to be no matter what job you have. Taker has always been treated well in WWE and that treatment was repaid with loyalty. The boss wanted Taker to do something and rather than complain like some whiny bitch via the internet, which is the fashionable thing for wrestlers to do, Taker did what a professional is supposed to do and that was to obey the person signing his paychecks; you know, like every other person in the world has to do.

Good God man, is it really so easy for legends to become nobodies in your eyes? Coming out on the short end of one feud over the course of more than a quarter century doesn't negate everything else that Taker's done, the accomplishments he's achieved, the feuds he's had and the moments he's helped create. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, coming up short against one opponent is infinitesimal compared to Taker's entire career. It's sad that you can write off greatness so ridiculously easy.

I'd have personally preferred that Taker's streak hadn't been ended by Lesnar but, surprise surprise, we don't always get what we want. Vince wanted him to and Taker agreed to it; believe it or not, that's the way things are supposed to be no matter what job you have. Taker has always been treated well in WWE and that treatment was repaid with loyalty. The boss wanted Taker to do something and rather than complain like some whiny bitch via the internet, which is the fashionable thing for wrestlers to do, Taker did what a professional is supposed to do and that was to obey the person signing his paychecks; you know, like every other person in the world has to do.

I didn't write off Undertaker's career, WWE did. A 25 year career was completely sacrificed to make Brock Lesnar look unbeatable. A century from now, what will Undertaker be remembered for? He'll be the guy who couldn't beat Brock Lesnar. It's a massive shadow that blocks out everything else he ever did in his career. They didn't just have him lose, they didn't just have him lose badly, they had Undertaker get ANNIHILATED. And not once, not twice, not three times, EVERY SINGLE TIME. Undertaker's entire career was for nothing.

I'm surprised that he may be working more matches than just Wrestlemania although if Taker thinks he can handle it and he's been approved to compete then, what harm could it do? He is a legend, one I have been a big fan of for over two decades, so I am fine with him competing again. Seeing him face guys like Styles, Cena, or even Ambrose would be cool. While I'm not as upset about the Lesnar feud as others are, I do 100% disagree with Lesnar having been the one to end the streak and thought the Summerslam rematch sucked, it doesn't make Taker pointless in my eyes. They should save his matches for bigger shows like the Rumble and Wrestlemania. Have him show up sunday in a non-wrestling role, then he can face Styles at the Rumble and Cena at Wrestlemania. I don't really want to see him working weekly matches on Smackdown though. Keep him a special attraction, it is what is best for business and what is likely also the best for Taker. Also.... no more matches against Lesnar or Wyatt please.

I didn't write off Undertaker's career, WWE did. A 25 year career was completely sacrificed to make Brock Lesnar look unbeatable. A century from now, what will Undertaker be remembered for? He'll be the guy who couldn't beat Brock Lesnar. It's a massive shadow that blocks out everything else he ever did in his career. They didn't just have him lose, they didn't just have him lose badly, they had Undertaker get ANNIHILATED. And not once, not twice, not three times, EVERY SINGLE TIME. Undertaker's entire career was for nothing.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's a total crap argument. Going by your logic, that means that the careers of Cena, Rock, Angle, Orton, Triple H and pretty much every major star in WWE of the past 15 years means nothing. After all, all these guys ultimately put Lesnar over by coming out on the losing ends of feuds with him. It's like saying HBK's career amounted to nothing because he retired after failing to end the streak; it's nonsense. Also, your definition of being "annihilated" drips of hyperbole when it comes to Taker's feud with Lesnar; putting on competitive matches doesn't quality as being annihilated. If you want legit examples of annihilation, look at Cena vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam 2013 and Rollins vs. Lesnar at Battleground 2015. They got in little to no offense and if someone wants to genuinely bitch about who got a raw deal against Lesnar, look no further than poor Seth Rollins.

I'm not all that wild about the formula that's being used with Lesnar, it lost its novelty quite a while ago, but boiling down someone's career to coming up short in one feud is ludicrous.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's a total crap argument. Going by your logic, that means that the careers of Cena, Rock, Angle, Orton, Triple H and pretty much every major star in WWE of the past 15 years means nothing. After all, all these guys ultimately put Lesnar over by coming out on the losing ends of feuds with him. It's like saying HBK's career amounted to nothing because he retired after failing to end the streak; it's nonsense. Also, your definition of being "annihilated" drips of hyperbole when it comes to Taker's feud with Lesnar; putting on competitive matches doesn't quality as being annihilated. If you want legit examples of annihilation, look at Cena vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam 2013 and Rollins vs. Lesnar at Battleground 2015. They got in little to no offense and if someone wants to genuinely bitch about who got a raw deal against Lesnar, look no further than poor Seth Rollins.

I'm not all that wild about the formula that's being used with Lesnar, it lost its novelty quite a while ago, but boiling down someone's career to coming up short in one feud is ludicrous.

None of them lost to Brock Lesnar in one-sided matches HALF A DOZEN TIMES. Losing to Lesnar once or twice is not the same as half a dozen. Basic math.

I think he returns after the finish of AJ vs. Dean at TLC. Him staring down AJ would drive social media crazy.

Taker wins the title and defeats Cena at WM. Then maybe at WM 34, he could retire.

While his argument is very much on the extreme side, it's not easy to dismiss it completely. The Lesnar-Taker feud was utter rubbish. It diminished Taker's legacy to a larger extent. He was made to look old and stupid.
People like Michaels went out in a dignified manner, putting on a MOTY match.

None of them lost to Brock Lesnar in one-sided matches HALF A DOZEN TIMES. Losing to Lesnar once or twice is not the same as half a dozen. Basic math.

You don't seem to realize that Taker and Lesnar are very good friends. It's very likely Taker requested to put Lesnar over so many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back