• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The tag division is literally non existant. (Not a Tag division sucks rant.)

Disarm

Dark Match Winner
So, with recent breakups and people being moved around in the draft, there is absolutely NO tag division left. I'm not saying that "omg tag division sucks xD two random people xD", but the only team right now appears to be the Hart Dynasty.

This was the tag division before:
Showmiz
Cryme Time
Hart Dynasty
JoMo/R Truth
MVP/ Mark Henry
Yoshi Tatsu/Goldust

With the breakups of the first two teams, and MVPs move to Smackdown, and Goldusts move to Smackdown, and the fact that JoMo and R Truth haven't teamed up since Wrestlemania (correct me if I'm wrong.), The only team left is the Hart Dynasty. Whats next for the tag division?

JoMo and Truth teamed up at extreme rules. The wwe will continue to put random people together as a team and hope that works. Which it will as long as the team as some credibility.

WWE needs to start teaming random pairs as much as possible. Look what happened when the teamed Miz and Morrison. That was completly random and it worked. Look what happened with Miz and Big show. WWE should team as many people as possible and see how the crowd react.

It's true that there aren't many "real" tag teams left in the WWE. If you look at it, there really aren't all that many left in TNA. The simple truth is that tag team wrestling doesn't carry nearly as much weight as it did once upon a time and most of the tag teams you see in this day and age are kind of random wrestlers paired together.

It's a formula that, overall, seems to be working for the WWE at the moment. JeriShow was a great team in my opinion, they worked well together and were different enough to both be able to contribute something unique to the team. The same thing has to be said about ShowMiz. The Dudebusters are a talented team, they have a horrible name, but I'm actually thinking that the WWE branded them with something so foolish just to draw heat. They remind me a lot of the Motor City Machine Guns when they were heels. John Morrison and R-Truth are both over with the fans, but ShowMiz went through them pretty easily. I'd team Carlito and Primo back up once more. Both are really pretty good inside the ring and are underutilized. Besides, it's not as if the WWE is doing anything else with them at this point.

The WWE has some work to do with its tag team scene, but it's still currently better than it was at this time one year ago.

I don't know how much I want to read into this, but I guess WWE is gonna throw Primo/Carlito back together and bring up their brother "Tito" from FCW soon to join them. Also, Ted Jr's brother Brett and Joe Henning are supposed to be called up(although Brett hurt his knee so if it is serious look for them to hold off on this for a bit) and join the Fortunate Son's...If they decided to do that, they would have a few legit tag teams to go against the randoms that WWE likes to throw together. We should have some more clarification after June or so.

The dude busters are pretty good to. Guys can go but their kinda 90ish act... idk. Also the ses will have one to ,with gallows and mercury. I think that right now the division looks terrible. How ever it could return , with the new stars coming up along with new feuds

Jack Hammer pretty much nailed it. We haven't seen real "legit" tag teams for a while, and that's because its not the same as it was 10-20 years. But the way the WWE has been doing it lately has worked pretty good. Most of those teams you mentioned didn't come in as a team. In fact, only the Hart Dynasty and Cryme Tyme started as a tag team. So all the E needs to do find some more guys they can team together to challenge for the titles. The formula worked good with JeriShow, ShowMiz, and I even liked the team of Henry and M.V.P. They will continue what's been working.

there virtually are no tag teams right now and i think that is what is making the roster look so thin....they have main eventers, midcarders, jobbers, but only 2 tag teams.....hopefully within the next few months the tag division will look like this:

Hart Dynasty-RAW
Fortunate Sons (Brett and Joe Hennig)-RAW
Dudebusters-SD
Straight Edge Society (Gallows & Mercury)-SD
stick the Colons back together, have Carlito do that break kayfabe thing again and say that he and Primo have been off tv for so long, then he could control his little brother and turn Primo heel-RAW
YoshiDust could reform now that Goldy is on raw again-RAW
they could send Zack Ryder back to SD, and bring up Hawkins again and modify Ryders gimmick to suit a tag team with he and Hawkins-SD

thats 7 tag teams with future guys that are capable of being breakout stars, while others should remain in tag teams

I do agree with these post. There really are no tag teams at all in the WWE. This is doublly sad because I think that most of the stars came from Tag-teams first. I don't think that they need to throw people together and make up random tag-teams, but I feel that thw wwe should bring back the Tag-teams where they wore the same thing, had the same music and worked together a lot. If the Tag team Divison is forgoten, then your future is also forgoten. I would also like to see two Good tag-team matches a night, because once again, this is were the future stars are made.

i'll have to agree that Tag Team wrestling just isn't what it used to be. i remember looking forward to some Tag matches more than the World Title main event just because the teams and feuds were so awesome.

still, even in the current transition the WWE is in with Tag Team contention right now, there is hope for quite a few teams in the near future...

Hart Dynasty: already established. have the belts and a mentor and a good gimmick. keep them together.
Brothers Colon: let's face it. they were a good tag team and have decent in ring work. plus, they're not doing anything else anyway, so stick them together.
MNM: now that Joey Mercury is back, could he reunite with John Morrison? they were a great heel tag team.
Straight Edge Society: should Mercury and Morrison not reunite in the near future, likely we will see Mercury with Luke Gallows for the Straight Edge Society.
Fortunate Sons: Ted Dibiase, Brett Dibiase and Joe Hennig. could be awesome to see the next generation of some hall of famers in the ring together.
Rhodes Brothers: what about Goldust and Cody Rhodes teaming together? they could either keep their current gimmicks or both do a "Dusty Jr" Texas kinda gimmick or whatever. but family teaming up and feuding with other families (like the Dibiase's or the Hart's) could be pretty awesome!
Nation of Domination: bring back Ron Simmons as a mentor and mouthpiece for a stable made up of the African man being held back by the man. when Farooq did his original nation, it was one of the best stables and gimmicks and feuds of the time!

those are just my immediate thoughts. of course there are some other random pairings that could be fun to watch. some that i'd personally really enjoy:
Edge and Christian or Jericho and Edge or Jericho and Christian or all three: these guys are all awesome and can put on some great matches. why not stick them either in a lengthy team or a lengthy feud?
Khali and Big Show: two giants that would just be fun to see dominate the division.
Rated RKO: just loved them as a tag team.

i could go on, but i'm really hoping that WWE makes the Tag Team division relevant and fun and exciting to watch again. i really do have high hopes and expectations for that to happen.

i belive the reason vinnie mac doesnt have any tag teams like before is because we had soooo many tag teams in the 90s..ill give a list to name a few

Degeneration x
Hart Foundation
Nation of Domination
The corporation
the ministry
the hardy boys
edge and christian
the dudley boyz
los badricas..i know i spelled it wrong

thats just to name a few stables/tag teams...in the 90s it was liek everyone was in a stable i guess vinnie mac doesnt want to revert back to that state..nothing wrong with that but i think he should build up his tag team divison if your going to have tag titles..hart dynasty cant hold the titles forever...they gotta defend them aganist someone

One of the things that really winds me up on here is when people rag on tag teams made of two guys doing nothing, like it somehow can't work or that it devalues the team. Two of the most over tag teams in the last 2 years (Miz/Morrison and Beer Money) are just that; two guys with nothing else to do.
Yes, i agree, throwing ANYBODY together is bad but if you throw two guys together that can talk/wrestle then you're halfway there.

Here's a quick list of tag teams off the top of my head that are just quick fix pairings that worked in the long run:
London/Kendrick
Billy and Chuck
Too Cool
Lethal Consequences

Thats off the top of my head and if anyone has anymore feel free to add them. The point I'm trying to make is that this technique of lumping people together can work (Beer Money/London & Kendrick) or it can fall short a little but it is an essential part of the tag team division. I wish as much as the next guy that we could have an awesome mix of tag teams with a family link (Hardys/Steiners/Dudleyz), best friends (L.O.D/APA) or some kind of link but at this moment in time, the WWE (which i am guessing this thread is aimed at) has to work with what it has.

Off the top of my head i would like to see the following teams:
DiBiase/Regal
(I want to see my fellow Brit Regal get some TV time and i could see him in the Virgil role or even just hired by DiBiase to help his mat skill... unlikely but something i personally would like to see)
Ziggler/Archer
(Puts more focus on Ziggler rather than have him replace Chavo as Hornswoggle's bitch and i could see this being something similar to what WWE tried with Kendrick/Jackson; cocky, blond mouthpiece and the silent enforcer and this could give Ziggler a push before the eventual breakup similar to Diesel/HBK although i am in no way implying they could get as over as those two)

Throw these two teams in with:
Dudebusters
Hart Dynasty
A possible Gallows/Mercury SES tag team
Colons
Whichever 3rd gen tag team they wanna bring up (The Fortunate Sons is being strongly rumored) and its not the end of the world.

When compared to TNA, WWE will come up short in the tag/womens division but that doesn't mean there's potential in the division. Will they find another Beer Money or push one of the current teams into as solid a team as the Dudleyz? Probably not but they can give it a go.

Don't mean to barge in, but tag wrestling in WWE is all but gone. I feel like Vince has given up on it. I mean, the only good feud I remember the last 2 years was Miz/Morrison as a team. Show was good with his partners recently, but there wasn't a GOOD opponent til the Hart Dynasty, and now they don't have a legitimate opponent.

TNA has the teams, but aren't using them. I think what they are doing with Morgan is great, as its putting a lot if emphasis on the tag division.

i think the problem more then all is that vince puts no effort into it he cant just throw two random guys together give them the titles and expect it to work every time. i thought show miz sucked because come on shomiz? that was a direct shot at the iwc after coming up with jerishow.......but any ways as i was saying miz and big show had some chemistry together but there was no effort behing them i mean if your gunna come up with a wack ass name like mizshow why not just introduce them as the miz and bigshow..... I thought that was kind of rude to literally just replace the miz with jericho and just go on like it never happened.... what they need is build behind the title defenses and story lines with the belt. there is never any heated storylines its always some two random people that never tagged together before get put in a tag match for the titles but im hoping that the hart dynasty will change that maybe actually build up a title match for them all month and have them get a match on a ppv.......so let me some this up with vince needs to treat all belts as if they are all just as good as any others and have storylines behind them and same goes for u.s. and ic titles give people a reason to care!

and if i am not mistaken, there are technically 3 tag teams: The Hart Dynasty and SES (even though Mercury is rumored to be tagging with Gallows, they still have 2 guys that can/have teamed already in CM Punk and Gallows) and the Dudebusters

TNA has the teams, but aren't using them. I think what they are doing with Morgan is great, as its putting a lot if emphasis on the tag division.
It's putting emphasis on Morgan, not the tag division. They are doing the same thing WWE is doing with the Big Show, but better.

So, with recent breakups and people being moved around in the draft, there is absolutely NO tag division left.

To be fair, even before the Draft, there wasn't really a legitimate tag division. There are only a couple of teams that stand out as only being tag teams, like the Hart Dynasty. The rest jumped around back and forth from singles competition to tag competition with a partner that was in the same position, like John Morrison and R-Truth.

The only team left is the Hart Dynasty.

Which, basically was the only mainstay tag team that existed the entire time anyways.

Whats next for the tag division?

There's still a lot of opportunities there. I agree with whoever said there's really not a problem throwing together two wrestlers who aren't really engaged in something and getting them to team. Because the tag belts are unified and allow competition on both shows, the roster being thin is no excuse because you can tap into the resources of Raw or Smackdown to put together a team to contend for the titles.

Ideally, after the Hart Dynasty's win and big celebration, I want to see them get a decent reign with the tag titles. DX's most recent unified title run didn't do much for the worth of the belts, but I'd argue that ShowMiz did a good job in making those belts seem important, much like JeriShow did. Having Bret around and giving the Harts a pretty triumphant victory works towards keeping those belts important and valuable, and if they give them a decent run the belts will appear as a pretty coveted item.

In terms of teams on the rosters... again, there's opportunities. On Smackdown, the SES always has the ability to jump into the tag title scene, depending on Punk's engagement in other feuds. There's also Croft and Baretta, who could be built up. People like Finlay, Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, etc. could easily be thrown into a tag team. The same logic applies on Raw, whose roster is especially crowded in the midcard after the draft AND many of those midcarders could benefit from being placed in a tag team. And after all that, the possibility that the NXT rookies will be absorbed into either roster could lead to them possibly teaming with their pro (we often see rookie/pro tag matches on NXT anyways) for a run or some rookies could team up themselves.

It all depends how WWE taps into their resources.

i dunno why everyone keeps insisting cody rhodes be in a tag team....geez.....the guy has serious skill in the ring and can become a main eventer one day....hes done tag teams his whole career up until now practically....after 3 years he doesnt need to be in a tag team anymore....and whats with all the random pairings? Big Show and Khali? They dislike each other in real life so theres no reason for it to happen....in case you havent noticed big show is gonna face swagger at over the limit for the whc

WWE marketing is horrible for tag teams. The truth is tag team matches can sometimes be better and more exciting than one on one heavyweight matches. Problem is WWE isn't using it right. For instance, some of the talented wrestlers like Evan Bourne that are being used as fodder could put into tag teams and make good matches.

Tag Teams are awesome and I believe still have a strong future. Remember last year's Summerslam? The DX/Legacy match was better than the Cena/Orton WWE Championship match.

idk, here's who I think should go together:

- Hart Dynasty:
- Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder: Bring Hawkins back up to the main roster and reunite him with Ryder. Hawkins would be repackaged to be a "guido" just like Ryder.
- The DudeBusters: These two need a gimmick. I think making them heels was a bad idea. I feel that the two of them would be better off as faces, with a "Bromance" type gimmick.
- MNM: With Joey Mercury back we should see an MNM 2.0.
- Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase: Legacy reunites, but the dynamic in their relationship changes. Cody will be Ted's new "hired hand." Ted wants a "Virgil" but does it really have to be a big black guy?
- Edge & Christian: They'd be the new "nostalgia comedy act" to replace DX.
They're both established main eventers, and they could "be wacky, but know when it's time to get serious"
- The Colons:
- Straight Edge Society:

Rhodes Brothers: what about Goldust and Cody Rhodes teaming together? they could either keep their current gimmicks or both do a "Dusty Jr" Texas kinda gimmick or whatever. but family teaming up and feuding with other families (like the Dibiase's or the Hart's) could be pretty awesome!

I would love to see something where Dusty Rhodes returns for a little on screen role (one night type deal). Tells Cody how his brother really wants to team with him. Cody talks about how he hates his brother how weird he is blah blah blah. The people who know who Cody's brother will get a good laugh out of this. Younger fans will be really confused. Out comes Goldust who begs Cody to tag with him. Cody agrees just for his father. Keep both gimmicks how they are.

Have them tag together for a little while. I think they could have a little fun with the two gimmicks how they are. Then eventually have Cody turn on Goldust and start a fued.

I think that they need to stop putting together random teams. The Colons are now back together. But they need to establish some good strong stables, both heels and faces. Brett DiBiase was supposed to come up and start a faction with Ted, but he got injured. That will be a good team later on.

It looks like the only teams that could compete against the Hart Dynasty in the WWE would be the Dudebusters, Miz and Jericho, or even the SES with Joey Mercury. I'm sure WWE will probably team Regal and Koslov together, along with Mark Henry teaming with somebody irrelevant.

TNA has a lot of teams at their disposal, but it looks like The Band and Team 3D are the only ones in the spotlight. TNA should use Beer Money, LAX, and Motor City to their advantage. I think with Helms, Hass, and Benjamin possibly coming to TNA, we could see some more great tag teams. Hass and Benjamin could be the worlds' greatest tag team again, and Helms could team up with Moore.

TNA needs to take the old Band and Team 3D out of the spotlight and allow other teams to shine. There is still a lot of talent in TNA that is underutilized that could be a tag team in the men's or women's division.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back