• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rock Is Working On A Pro Wrestling Drama?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson announced that he is working with producer Jerry Bruckheimer on a pro wrestling related project. Bruckenheimer wrote that he's happy to be working with The Rock, and Rock noted that they are partnering with NBC to create a "1980's wrestling TV drama."

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10020339.shtml

I'm sure plenty of pro wrestling fans would eat this up, and we would be glued to our TVs, as we watched this show. But could a pro wrestling drama appeal to the masses?

Wrestling fans would give this show a try, but lots of people love to mock pro wrestling, and pro wrestling isn't taken seriously by a lot of people. Although, NBC is a major network, so this show should receive a good amount of attention. And The Rock has become a known face in the mainstream world, so this show might have a fighting chance.

I am pumped for this. I can't wait to see this show, and I hope The Rock decides to join the cast here.

What are your thoughts?

if i happen to see it on TV maybe ill give it a chance but personally the fact rock is doing a wrestling based tv show just doesnt sound interesting to me as soon as i hear it but hey if i happen to see it on ill give it a chance and go from there but i dont plan on making sure to watch it

I've been hoping that someone would try out a concept like this for a while now. One big question is whether it would be based on real events or totally fictionalized. A lot of people in the business would have problems with a true adaptation of the Golden Era and I assume some legal issues would arise in that case. A totally fictionalized account would be fine by me as long as the show turns out well. Rocky should provide an authentic perspective on the business, and could do well in a role in the series itself. Showing what it's like to be a wrestler in a big promotion, from main eventers, to jobbers, to bookers, and maybe even a fan perspective, should make for great television.

Jerry and The Rock teaming to make a wrestling drama? I'm in, I think that this could be an excellent show and I look forward to what these two together can bring to life. I am curious as to what it's going to be like, and I think even the people who don't expect it to be good will tune in to see just what it's like.

I like the idea in concept because its basically a show about my favorite, and most interesting time in wrestling where everything shifted from territories to one global corporation taking over. I think the premise itself can speak to a lot of people outside of the wrestling genre because the show is basically about the monopolization of the wrestling business, something a lot of people can relate to.

I'm worried to see how the show comes off, sadly with every TV show if the writing or acting isn't good then the TV show will suck no matter how great the idea is. I'm interested what casting decisions they make but without a good Vince and Hulk I don't see the show doing well, if they can cast a great Vince and Hulk it will have a chance.

This sounds like something I could get into because a show about wrestling will always get my attention at least once. It will probably have a ton of parodies of WWE/WCW/etc thrown in. If The Rock stars in it, then it will surely do well enough to stick around a bit. I can't wait to check this show out. It might not necessarily appeal to the masses, but it could be great for federations like WWE and TNA to have people be able to associate them with something they saw on tv. They could see that it is the real thing and give it a shot. Perhaps they see a guy on Raw/Smackdown/Impact who resembles people they liked on this show and then end up liking real wrestling. I see only good things for wrestling coming from this.

Mickey Rourke showed that the masses can get into wrestling based entertainment whether it be movies or television shows etc. I can't see it being based off real events but I can see some very common place things happening within the show. Like the backstage drug use, hazing to a certain extent and I would love to see the end of the territories and the start of making the product global... that would be awesome!

I like the idea in concept because its basically a show about my favorite, and most interesting time in wrestling where everything shifted from territories to one global corporation taking over. I think the premise itself can speak to a lot of people outside of the wrestling genre because the show is basically about the monopolization of the wrestling business, something a lot of people can relate to.

I'm worried to see how the show comes off, sadly with every TV show if the writing or acting isn't good then the TV show will suck no matter how great the idea is. I'm interested what casting decisions they make but without a good Vince and Hulk I don't see the show doing well, if they can cast a great Vince and Hulk it will have a chance.

If this is the route they go down then it could be a very good show. The nagging thought I have is Jerry Bruckheimer's involvement. When I hear his name I think of high-concept films with lots of action, so it depends who else will be involved with the writing and production. If there were a David Simon or Peter Berg involved then that would be pretty good as Simon's shows are often true to the context and are able to draw upon a myriad of concepts and themes, and Berg's Friday Night Lights is a very underestimated show that is about the people who are tied together through a sport rather than the sport itself.
If the writers of the wrestling drama can take cues from Berg and Simon then it could be excellent, but at the moment I'm a bit unsure about it.

Mickey Rourke showed that the masses can get into wrestling based entertainment whether it be movies or television shows etc. I can't see it being based off real events but I can see some very common place things happening within the show. Like the backstage drug use, hazing to a certain extent and I would love to see the end of the territories and the start of making the product global... that would be awesome!

Mickey Rourke didn't really show anything. Sure The Wrestler was a fantastic film and he gave a phenomenal performance in it, but what exactly is its legacy? The Wrestler got black listed by a lot critics and even though it was initially thought to be the Oscar winner, the fact that it was wrestling related dropped it out of consideration and in turn cost Rourke a chance at Best Actor that year. The Wrestler really did not prove anything, but if it did it is that the masses are still not that open to the profession.

As for the show, I'd watch it. I'm curious if The Rock is actually going to act in it or if he is more of a consultant/producer type for the show. As Mitch pointed out, as much as I would be intrigued by this sort of show, I don't know if the masses or the people who typically watch NBC would respond to it. If it truly was a drama that showed the seedy underbelly of the wrestling business, kind of like Lights Out is doing for boxing, then maybe it will stand a chance, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the kind of show that got a pilot and then cancelled. Still, very intriguing idea for a show.

Didn't Rourke win a Golden Globe for The Wrestler?

If so I would say that in itself is a huge accomplishment and backs up my statement to a certain degree.

Plus I know people who are not wrestling fans yet watched that movie and loved it, even though they hate wrestling itself they loved a movie that was based around the profession.

If it's anything like The Wrestler, I'm in. If it's the dramatics and tolls that these guys go through, then you have my definite attention Rocky :p

I like the idea of the show. I would much rather have it be on HBO though since it seems like they can do no wrong when it comes to TV series. Not to mention they have more that they would be able to do with the show in terms of actual drama being bought into it

I like this idea because I'm a fan of most things pro wrestling. This would be something that helped wrestling become more popular again and would also tell a great story. Plus, it's never been done on television before. Firsts are always ground-breaking and this idea has my attention for sure.

I like this idea because I'm a fan of most things pro wrestling. This would be something that helped wrestling become more popular again and would also tell a great story. Plus, it's never been done on television before. Firsts are always ground-breaking and this idea has my attention for sure.

The Idea is really very good. Even I appreciate this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back