• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Ring of Honor influence: How one small wrestling company impacted WWE

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
http://www.wwe.com/inside/the-ring-of-honor-influence-26179913

All the major former ROH stars are interviewed, as well as Gabe Sapolsky and Colt Cabana. Conspicuous by his absence is, that's right, Sami Zayn.

Needn't fret, Danny Bryan gives him a much-deserved shout-out:

And I’m really excited for [WWE NXT Superstar] Sami Zayn to come up, too, because he shared that journey with a lot of us. There are some great guys that are coming up or who are not on TV yet.

So Punk and Styles will be invading Raw this summer?

In all seriousness, it would be great if ROH and the E could work out a deal to let ROH show their pay per views on the network.

Gabe and Rollins mention Punk one time each.

And Sami Zayn being El Generico is a joke among ROH fans that their not the same guy. It started because of Kevin Steen, who has even said El Generico's dead body was found in a ditch in Mexico with a sombrero lodged in his ass, his mask removed and his face cut off - and Sami Zayn reminds him a lot of Generico.

Overall the article is awesome and it's so cool seeing WWE acknowledging something a lot of the WWE die-hands - many of whom post on this forum - refuse to acknowledge. And for them to publicize the company weeks before the 12th Anniversary Show and Honor Con is also great.

Definitely trying to put them over and draw some more attention to them, to make them even stronger as a WWE farm system. Pretty cool.

I agree it is very cool.

On a side note.. why can I not find the latest edition of ROH TV, when AJ Styles finally debuts?

My hookup site is down :/

Normally I'd blame a WWE conspiracy to cover his debut up... but this article makes that illogical. It's The Carters.... sneaky little trolls

I agree it is very cool.

On a side note.. why can I not find the latest edition of ROH TV, when AJ Styles finally debuts?

My hookup site is down :/

Normally I'd blame a WWE conspiracy to cover his debut up... but this article makes that illogical. It's The Carters.... sneaky little trolls

It hasn't been released for the general audience members on ROHWrestling.com. It goes up tomorrow morning.

Only problem is, when companies "farm" a smaller company of their talent, it can remove the impetus to generate more for both management and the remaining talent. They may think they aren't good enough to get a call-up, which may be true, but it might ruin their ethic, and the management might think when they make a star, they'll soon be gone anyway, so it doesn't matter.

However, an arrangement between both companies where they are independent but still have an agreement, more like OVW than ECW but actually committed to, does both companies good. People can learn in front of a non-doctored audience and not be blanketed from raw reactions, and in exchange the company can get the use of some established talent in order to draw people to make up their gates. More like an independent NXT.

What was I talking about again?

Ah okay, but am I correct in saying that it actually first aired on February 1st, 2014 though?

Yes.

Only problem is, when companies "farm" a smaller company of their talent, it can remove the impetus to generate more for both management and the remaining talent. They may think they aren't good enough to get a call-up, which may be true, but it might ruin their ethic, and the management might think when they make a star, they'll soon be gone anyway, so it doesn't matter.

However, an arrangement between both companies where they are independent but still have an agreement, more like OVW than ECW but actually committed to, does both companies good. People can learn in front of a non-doctored audience and not be blanketed from raw reactions, and in exchange the company can get the use of some established talent in order to draw people to make up their gates. More like an independent NXT.

What was I talking about again?

Let me clarify this.

There is no working agreement, independent or otherwise between WWE and Ring of Honor. ROH's owners wouldn't allow it, the hardcore fanbase such as myself don't want it and it would make the purpose of ROH null. ROH is the alternative in wrestling, from its look to the way it does things, even to the way it is run. It's not like TNA, which is WWE-lite but on Thursday night and with a different cast of characters.

The only agreements they have that is public knowledge is that whenever WWE signs someone from the ROH roster, whether they have a contract or not, they compensate for it. Adam Pearce was booker of ROH when Rollins was signed and Cary Silkin (then ROH owner) negotiated with WWE for Rollins and got whatever price he was asking for. ROH have a verbal agreement with talent where if WWE makes an offer, and they want to take it, they will let them go. But even in someones case like Bryan, who was on the ROH roster when he left for WWE but whose contract had expired, WWE still gave ROH compensation for him despite there being no contract in place.

If WWE were in any way supporting ROH, It'd come out in quarterly or annual reports and would be in their notes. Like how them supporting ECW came out when they went public.

Yes.

Let me clarify this.

There is no working agreement, independent or otherwise between WWE and Ring of Honor. ROH's owners wouldn't allow it, the hardcore fanbase such as myself don't want it and it would make the purpose of ROH null. ROH is the alternative in wrestling, from its look to the way it does things, even to the way it is run. It's not like TNA, which is WWE-lite but on Thursday night and with a different cast of characters.

The only agreements they have that is public knowledge is that whenever WWE signs someone from the ROH roster, whether they have a contract or not, they compensate for it. Adam Pearce was booker of ROH when Rollins was signed and Cary Silkin (then ROH owner) negotiated with WWE for Rollins and got whatever price he was asking for. ROH have a verbal agreement with talent where if WWE makes an offer, and they want to take it, they will let them go. But even in someones case like Bryan, who was on the ROH roster when he left for WWE but whose contract had expired, WWE still gave ROH compensation for him despite there being no contract in place.

If WWE were in any way supporting ROH, It'd come out in quarterly or annual reports and would be in their notes. Like how them supporting ECW came out when they went public.

To be honest, I was just rambling. I don't even know if it's relevant.

There has got to be a relationship between WWE and ROH of some sorts. I mean, it's of absolute interest for ROH to be publicized by WWE and giving them tips about guys that could work there is something WWE may be interested in.

Also Dragon Saga, that idea that "die-hards" would shit on the company if they had a "pact" with WWE is absolute crap. What? ROH is doomed to be a indy forever because the die-hards want it? Stupid logic. They would be okay with it, as long as ROH kept delivering good matches with their actual roster.

Also Dragon Saga, that idea that "die-hards" would shit on the company if they had a "pact" with WWE is absolute crap. What?

I am one, I speak to others; we all think WWE doing this is cool, but it was WWE.com. WWE's website have praised ROH before, WWE have bought footage from ROH, images from ROH, they even to this day give ex-alumni royalties for the DVD's they put out despite them being signed with WWE. You are - to no surprise - talking about shit you don't know. Do I need proof?

ROH is doomed to be a indy forever because the die-hards want it? Stupid logic.

It's not even an indie now, but because you may be slightly ******ed and have little knowing of what makes an independent promotion an independent promotion you'll continue calling it that because you have little to no knowledge of what you are talking about.

They would be okay with it, as long as ROH kept delivering good matches with their actual roster.

No they wouldn't. ROH fans support ROH because it's ROH, and what makes it ROH has been its ability to - despite numerous idiots like many on this forum and elsewhere - survive and grow by itself and not with the help of the WWE. It doesn't need WWE, its never needed WWE and considering how it easily has the best momentum of this year thus far, it won't need WWE going forward.

The sound my body made when I saw that TDS was the last person to post in this thread surprised me. Like, an abnormally loud sigh mixed with a yawn.

I am one, I speak to others; we all think WWE doing this is cool, but it was WWE.com. WWE's website have praised ROH before, WWE have bought footage from ROH, images from ROH, they even to this day give ex-alumni royalties for the DVD's they put out despite them being signed with WWE. You are - to no surprise - talking about shit you don't know. Do I need proof?

I'll answer this with your stupid fucking quote: "There is no working agreement, independent or otherwise between WWE and Ring of Honor. ROH's owners wouldn't allow it, the hardcore fanbase such as myself don't want it and it would make the purpose of ROH null."

Legally yes there is no such thing as a working agreement between them, but in practice being advertised in WWE DVD's, WWE.com and what not is the best publicity ROH has. WWE.com web traffic is bigger in a week than ROH's in a whole year most likely - and that is WWE helping ROH, because ROH is a great little place for people to start in. That seems like a working agreement in this order: "We give you some more exposure. You continue doing what you're doing and if anyone comes by, gives us a ring to see if they're worth it."

The hardcore fanbase as yourself aka arrogant stupid blind fans, are the only ones that actually believe that ROH is the WWE alternative. I'm a ROH fan, I've been watching their iPPV's and big events religiously for the better part of 4 years now and in the last two, ROH has been pure shit. It's not a coincidence that ROH isn't internet's favorite wrestling company anymore - the product has been average AT BEST for EVERYONE except the ones like yourself, who think way too much of an INDY SHOW, but we'll get there.

It's not even an indie now, but because you may be slightly ******ed and have little knowing of what makes an independent promotion an independent promotion you'll continue calling it that because you have little to no knowledge of what you are talking about.

An independent show is one that, and I quote does not have national exposure. ROH is a syndicated television show, does not air live not even in their special events, their best attendances have around 1500 people. It's still the third biggest wrestling company in the US, but that does not mean that it isn't an indy show.

WWE and TNA are broadcasted in two big channels in the form of USA and SpikeTV that pretty much reach the entire US. Now I know ROH beats TNA in the ratings at LOCAL MARKETS. Which means that in Pittsburgh (ex.) there are probably more ROH fans than TNA ones. However in the whole US it's not even close and in the entire world... let's just say that ROH is clearly an indy show.

To not be a indy show you would have to compare ROH to companies like WWE, NJPW, AAA, CMLL, TNA.. Those are the big ones. ROH competes with Evolve, DGUSA and PWG and is winning! Great for ROH and they are not even the best company out of the last three I mentioned.

Again I have to point out the fact that die-hard ROH fans are stupid dumbfucks. Some may actually think that KKGT is a big network and everybody knows them. I just invented that channel as well, because it's clearly ridiculous that point of ROH not being an indy show.

No they wouldn't. ROH fans support ROH because it's ROH, and what makes it ROH has been its ability to - despite numerous idiots like many on this forum and elsewhere - survive and grow by itself and not with the help of the WWE. It doesn't need WWE, its never needed WWE and considering how it easily has the best momentum of this year thus far, it won't need WWE going forward.

No. ROH fans support ROH because:
a) They are internet fans, so their biggest goal is to be anti-WWE and say that everything else is gold while watching WWE.
b) ROH does actually have good wrestling and has survived more from what they did in the past, than what they are actually doing now.
c) They like it.

Now the dumbfucks I've been telling you about, such yourself and others elsewhere... well those ones may actually believe that they support a company just because it's not supported by WWE (when they clearly ARE! when compared to better wrestling companies like PWG). ROH biggest momentum (so far, February c'mon) that you so eloquently put out does not mean anything. They don't need the WWE but that is not that big of a deal, nobody else needs them too to be unrelevant to the wrestling community too. But is it a coincidence that the return of a now WWE alumni and TNA alumni helped getting that momentum? See, they are helping because they made them bigger stars...

--
But let's talk about how great ROH is doing and how big of a company they are, because a billion dollar company owns them. Do you remember the last iPPV that was given for free in ROH? They had something along the lines of "something above 4.000 people watching" and it was a FREE show for the WHOLE WORLD. How can a major company accomplish only that? That is a ridiculous number for such a big company that is in more than 60 local channels, in more than 25 US states and even in other parts of the world by The Fight Network.

As far as social networks go and their impact online they have a strong following with over 200.000 followers. That's more than CMLL and NJPW combined which clearly shows ROH's market and that is awesome for ROH. But then remember Final Battle, ROH's biggest show has an attendance of 1.500 people, Wrestle Kingdom (NJPW biggest show) has 35.000! Now that is a major company. CMLL had 11.000 people in attendance. TNA's biggest show had something along the lines of 3.000/4.000 - pretty shit, but TNA makes a lot of money out of television contracts in the entire world and has international exposure at something better than 3 a.m.

Now you can defend ROH as much as you want, you can say that ROH is da bomb because Adam Cole is the best thing ever since sliced bread, but that DOES NOT mean that others will have to like it or even agree with you. ROH is not what the die-hard fans wants us to believe it is - in reality it's a small company, owned by a large company (again) that does not really make any sort of wave in financial results to even be considered relevant in Sinclair's group. It has good wrestlers that you can see wrestling for over half an hour in some quick stories. The same thing PWG delivers, or any other indy company with most of the times, the exact same WRESTLERS.

Now quit being a jerk and an arrogant prick and just accept the fact that there are people that love ROH, others that like it casually and others that don't watch it and don't give two shits about it. Also agree with the fact that three of the biggest stars in wrestling today being in WWE is a huge boost for ROH. Agree that WWE promoting them (even if it isn't the intention) is a good boost for ROH. And for ROH fans the more exposure the company gets, BETTER! It means new fans, it means better production value, more possibilities of signing good free agents for a longer period of time, ence better product...

Probably 1% of ROH's fanbase discovered ROH by coincidence or has been following it since 2002. The other 99% discovered because first and foremost they were WWE/TNA/WCW/NOAH/NJPW fans, so clearly, ROH owes big companies very much so accept that.

I'll answer this with your stupid fucking quote: "There is no working agreement, independent or otherwise between WWE and Ring of Honor. ROH's owners wouldn't allow it, the hardcore fanbase such as myself don't want it and it would make the purpose of ROH null."

Legally yes there is no such thing as a working agreement between them, but in practice being advertised in WWE DVD's, WWE.com and what not is the best publicity ROH has. WWE.com web traffic is bigger in a week than ROH's in a whole year most likely - and that is WWE helping ROH, because ROH is a great little place for people to start in. That seems like a working agreement in this order: "We give you some more exposure. You continue doing what you're doing and if anyone comes by, gives us a ring to see if they're worth it."

The hardcore fanbase as yourself aka arrogant stupid blind fans, are the only ones that actually believe that ROH is the WWE alternative. I'm a ROH fan, I've been watching their iPPV's and big events religiously for the better part of 4 years now and in the last two, ROH has been pure shit. It's not a coincidence that ROH isn't internet's favorite wrestling company anymore - the product has been average AT BEST for EVERYONE except the ones like yourself, who think way too much of an INDY SHOW, but we'll get there.

An independent show is one that, and I quote does not have national exposure. ROH is a syndicated television show, does not air live not even in their special events, their best attendances have around 1500 people. It's still the third biggest wrestling company in the US, but that does not mean that it isn't an indy show.

WWE and TNA are broadcasted in two big channels in the form of USA and SpikeTV that pretty much reach the entire US. Now I know ROH beats TNA in the ratings at LOCAL MARKETS. Which means that in Pittsburgh (ex.) there are probably more ROH fans than TNA ones. However in the whole US it's not even close and in the entire world... let's just say that ROH is clearly an indy show.

To not be a indy show you would have to compare ROH to companies like WWE, NJPW, AAA, CMLL, TNA.. Those are the big ones. ROH competes with Evolve, DGUSA and PWG and is winning! Great for ROH and they are not even the best company out of the last three I mentioned.

Again I have to point out the fact that die-hard ROH fans are stupid dumbfucks. Some may actually think that KKGT is a big network and everybody knows them. I just invented that channel as well, because it's clearly ridiculous that point of ROH not being an indy show.

No. ROH fans support ROH because:
a) They are internet fans, so their biggest goal is to be anti-WWE and say that everything else is gold while watching WWE.
b) ROH does actually have good wrestling and has survived more from what they did in the past, than what they are actually doing now.
c) They like it.

Now the dumbfucks I've been telling you about, such yourself and others elsewhere... well those ones may actually believe that they support a company just because it's not supported by WWE (when they clearly ARE! when compared to better wrestling companies like PWG). ROH biggest momentum (so far, February c'mon) that you so eloquently put out does not mean anything. They don't need the WWE but that is not that big of a deal, nobody else needs them too to be unrelevant to the wrestling community too. But is it a coincidence that the return of a now WWE alumni and TNA alumni helped getting that momentum? See, they are helping because they made them bigger stars...

--
But let's talk about how great ROH is doing and how big of a company they are, because a billion dollar company owns them. Do you remember the last iPPV that was given for free in ROH? They had something along the lines of "something above 4.000 people watching" and it was a FREE show for the WHOLE WORLD. How can a major company accomplish only that? That is a ridiculous number for such a big company that is in more than 60 local channels, in more than 25 US states and even in other parts of the world by The Fight Network.

As far as social networks go and their impact online they have a strong following with over 200.000 followers. That's more than CMLL and NJPW combined which clearly shows ROH's market and that is awesome for ROH. But then remember Final Battle, ROH's biggest show has an attendance of 1.500 people, Wrestle Kingdom (NJPW biggest show) has 35.000! Now that is a major company. CMLL had 11.000 people in attendance. TNA's biggest show had something along the lines of 3.000/4.000 - pretty shit, but TNA makes a lot of money out of television contracts in the entire world and has international exposure at something better than 3 a.m.

Now you can defend ROH as much as you want, you can say that ROH is da bomb because Adam Cole is the best thing ever since sliced bread, but that DOES NOT mean that others will have to like it or even agree with you. ROH is not what the die-hard fans wants us to believe it is - in reality it's a small company, owned by a large company (again) that does not really make any sort of wave in financial results to even be considered relevant in Sinclair's group. It has good wrestlers that you can see wrestling for over half an hour in some quick stories. The same thing PWG delivers, or any other indy company with most of the times, the exact same WRESTLERS.

Now quit being a jerk and an arrogant prick and just accept the fact that there are people that love ROH, others that like it casually and others that don't watch it and don't give two shits about it. Also agree with the fact that three of the biggest stars in wrestling today being in WWE is a huge boost for ROH. Agree that WWE promoting them (even if it isn't the intention) is a good boost for ROH. And for ROH fans the more exposure the company gets, BETTER! It means new fans, it means better production value, more possibilities of signing good free agents for a longer period of time, ence better product...

Probably 1% of ROH's fanbase discovered ROH by coincidence or has been following it since 2002. The other 99% discovered because first and foremost they were WWE/TNA/WCW/NOAH/NJPW fans, so clearly, ROH owes big companies very much so accept that.

I'm not going to lie, didn't read this, but even from scrolling through it real fast as to not open my brain cells to being on the verge of committing suicide in-order to escape the wall of "I don't have much of a life" text you've plastered my screen with, I already feel like my day has gotten off to a depressing start.

Now this is what your response should have been.

I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'll just leave this wall of text here which I spent 45 minutes writing, five minutes adding coding and two-and-a-half hours checking for fictional online sources to back up what are mostly my unknowing subjective opinions. Sorry for wasting three minutes from your day responding to this.

The sound my body made when I saw that TDS was the last person to post in this thread surprised me. Like, an abnormally loud sigh mixed with a yawn.

Somebody said something that could be concieved as slightly deterimental about ROH. You had to know the butthurt was going to be strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back