• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rhodes storyline holding up the tag team division

CM Steel

A REAL American
Brothers Cody Rhodes & Goldust have been the new WWE tag team champions for over a week now. And it's something that we thought that we would never see happen. The storyline with these guys is the biggest thing in the WWE right now along the lines with the Bryan-Orton feud. But with Cody & Goldust tag team title reign being centered around the storyline of the Rhodes dynasty vs the McMahon's (with Triple H). Where does that leave the rest of the WWE tag team division?

Guys like the Usos, PTP, Tons of Funk, 3MB, ECT. Guys who have been in line for months to earn a crack at the tag team belts. Only to get sidestepped by Cody Rhodes & Goldust due to a flaming storyline. The same thing happened with Team Hell No holding the tag team titles for the same reason. Dr. Shelby is no Dusty Rhodes though. So now the WWE tag team division is on freeze mode once again.

So after and when the Rhodes dynasty does finally drop the tag team titles. Which team should they drop them to and why that team?

I agree here. The main problem is Cody and Goldust are face and most of the current tag teams are also face (Usos, PTP, Tons of Funk, Los Matadors). The only 2 credible tag teams they could transition from the shield to are the Wyatt Family and the Real Americans. There's also 3MB but they are glorified jobbers. The problem with the Wyatt Family is that they are already involved with too many guys (Kane, The Miz, Kofi Kingston).

WWE always does this though. They say they are bringing up the tag teams and then turn around and make a tag team out of two singles wrestlers and do nothing with the other teams.

The Usos for sure and I say this because they are over with the crowd and I can see the passion in them for wanting to be the WWE Tag Team Champions more than anybody else. I also find them to be quite entertaining in the ring, their match with The Shield was the best match of the night on RAW this week imo.

I don't mind at all.

Using the Tag Team Titles in a high profile storyline is making them look like the mean something again and giving them value to me. Personally, I am all for it.

I think The Shield were holding back the tag division. They were too dominant before the Rhodes brothers came in. They needed someone to take the titles away and WWE had no faith in any of the current tag teams. Don't believe me who did the Shield wrestle at Summerslam? hmm No one, after helping Ambrose keep his title on the preshow they had the rest of the night off. Who did they wrestle at Battleground? Non title v Rhodes brother. If WWE had any confidence in the other title teams they wouldn't have let the Shield wrestle only 1 of the last 3 PPV's in titles matches. The Rhodes being champs allows for an Uso's/PTP heel turn or the Wyatts getting some Gold

I think The Shield were holding back the tag division.

I can agree with that. The Shield isn't really a tag team at all; they're a threesome.....a thug unit that almost never fails to get Dean Ambrose involved in their efforts, even if he has his own match as U.S. Champion that night. This is sooner the type of thing that makes a mockery of tag team wrestling.

The formation of the Rhodes brothers as a team is a breath of fresh air to the division. Yes, the answer to Ambrose getting involved in the match between these two teams was Big Show inserting himself into the proceeding, but that was only to get the ball rolling. Now (hopefully) Cody & Dustin can finish the Shield as challengers and start defending the belts in the manner the tag team titles should be defended.

If Triple H is serious about reviving the division, they've now got the tools to start.

Aren't the Usos in the tag title match at Hell In A and The Cell?

Didn't the Rhodes brothers only win the title two weeks ago? How impatient can one be to feel a tag team is holding up the tag division after two weeks. Don't we have a whole second tag team feud precipitating between The Real Americans and Los Matadores? When is the last time WWE had so many tag teams? Doesn't the Wyatt family have something going with Miz and Kofi? Do we really care all of the sudden about the success of 3MB and Tons of Funk? Maybe you could argue that PTP aren't getting the attention we want but I can live with that for a while.

But in the end the Rhodes Brothers and The Shield have delivered a couple of the best tag matches (maybe matches period) in a long time. I don't think anyone has good reason to point out anything else this shortly after.

I think cody and goldust won because of storyline not to actually have a lenghty reign and compete with all the tag teams and carry the division. I really believe there are going to compete with the shield the usos and maybe the real americans but are going to lose them in a triple threat type match just to make it seem like they lost the belts fighting. Now i do believe they could carry the tag team division but are they? And the answer is no

I don't think it is fair to say they are holding up the entire division. I think this is an interesting use of the tag-titles and it was feel-good moment when Goldust and Cody won the belts.

There title reign won't last long - a month or two max. Thereafter, we will perhaps see other teams: PTP, The Uso's, The Real Americans, Los Matedores have a title reign. As it stands it is a good move that doesn't hurt the division. Moreover, The Uso's are in the match at Hell in a Cell which promises to be one of the best on the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back