The Retirement of Steve Corino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
With Steve Corino retiring at the end of this year it is probably a good time to look back at the Career of tthe King of Old School.

CorinoPWA.jpg

This guy is one of my favourite Wrestlers and not for the fact that he can blade and he BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSS. He is a great Heel and has won numerous Titles with the Re-Formed AWA title, the NWA Title and the Real ECW World Heavyweight Championship. His feud with Dusty Rhodes puts him over as a legit Wrestler. Hopefully he can work a deal out with WWE so a proper Steve Corino DVD is put out for the ECW fans as well as his Indy fans. I think he is the only name in North America that has not worked in either WCW or WWE. That is what I would call a rare occurance as it appears that pretty much the majority of the Workers in North America have worked at least once for either of these companies. But this is a tribute to one of the great journeymen of Professional Wrestling, possibly even the last of the great Journeymen.

I'm gonna miss the King of Old School. I can still remember watching him eat shit from a mammoth chair shot courtesy of Balls Mahoney years back. It's a pity that he was never given the chance in one of the other companies, but that's kind of the way of it sometimes, I suppose.

My favorite Corino moment was actually in a match with Balls Mahoney. Instead of pleasing the ECW faithful by nailing Balls with a chair the moment he had the upper hand, Steve snap-mared Balls into a seated position. Next, he unfolded the chair, sat down behind Mahoney...and placed him in a back chinlock. Those ECW fans were pissed. I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my pizza. Absolutely beautiful.

Corino has worked for WWE. He wasn't a big famous name at the time, but he's been on WWE TV before. He also had a deal that would've landed him in WCW, but I forget what happened that put the kabosh on that, may have been the WWE buyout. He won't be gone from the ring though, check out http://www.mrwrestling3.com/

That doesn't say anything about Corino continuing to work, And Corino himself said that he is retiring and is not doing a Terry Funk and having so many retirement matches that they lose meaning, However He does say that it doesn't mean he is leaving the business completely just not doing the Wrestling which is what this thread is in rememberance of. Steve Corino was in Dory Funks school with Teddy Hart, he never made it to WWE proper. Anyway Steve Corino is one of my top 10 favourite Wrestlers of all time because of his ability to draw heat, not just with random promotions but with Smark filled crowds, RoH fans hate him. He is still underappreciated as a Wrestler because he never worked in either of the Two big Named companies and yet he has gotten a name and is what I would call the last of the Journeymen Wrestlers, that have names and toured the world to Wrestle like Bruiser Brody and Andre the Giant guys that Wrestle because they love to wrestle and tour the world so they can bring that love of Wrestling through to the fans all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back