• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Randy Orton of today .... back in the Attitude Era

jason305

Dark Match Winner
This is a pretty simple thread just for a bit of fun. Basically if the Randy Orton of today was around during the Attitude era how much if at all, a bigger star he would be? Although I don't think he would've been on The Rock/Austin's level I do think he would've been bigger than he is now. He would've been loved although a heel and remember his promo's are scripted the way they are. He would've had more freedom and I think he could've pulled it off brilliantly. I would've loved a fued between him and Austin in their primes. So what so you think?

I actually agree. Orton's current character is really dull, only in the fact that he can't do what he should be allowed to do with the character. In the attitude era he couldve branched out, spread his wings and all that junk. Made his character fucking uncontrollable. I could just imagine some of the bouts between him and Austin, or The Rock. The gimmick would have been top notch back then. Probably modeled really closely after Brian Pillman's loose cannon.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching this weeks RAW.

I agree and think Orton would have been awsome in the attitude era, him having feuds with the likes of Austin and The Rock would have been classics.

The PG era really limits Randy's current gimmick and it would be much better had he been around in the Attitude era. Having said that, couldn't the same be said for alot of todays wrestlers? Cena springs to mind, if he were in the Attitude era, he wouldn't have morphend in to Super Cena and we would still have the edgey John Cena we started with, or a variation of it.

I think most of us on these forums would enjoy a majority of todays gimmicks more if they were around in the attiude era because it's the attiude era that we wish the WWE would go back to.

Orton's character would have thrived in the Attitude Era because he could have gotten away with doing more things that the PG rating prevents him from doing. He could have been defeating legends left and right as well as facing Stone Cold or The Rock in their prime. Imagine the matches and promos Orton of today could have had with Stone Cold and The Rock back then. Orton would provide both guys with the perfect heel for them to defeat.... and Orton would've gotten unimaginable heel heat for any time he went over either Stone Cold or The Rock. I doubt Orton would become as big a name as most of the Attitude Era stars, but his character would have thrived far more. The only major downside I can think of is that he probably wouldn't have as many world titles back then as he does now.... but I think he still would have been really successful if he had been around back then because an edgy environment is better for him whether he would be The Legend Killer or The Viper.

In the attitude era, they'd probably have filmed him shitting in someone's bag and used it to kickstart a fued.

I think Orton would have been far better suited to WWF 10 years ago, but i think his career would have progressed more like Edge's, where he had to be nothing but a tag team guy for a few years before keeping him in mid-card limbo for god knows how long before they FINALLY tried to do something with the guy after he returned in '04. Randy isn't anywhere near as injury prone as Edge however, so maybe he'd have progressed further, but who knows.

Randy Orton would have been PERFECT for the Attitude Era. While some seem a little hesitant to say he would have been a huge superstar, I am not.

I think, if he were exactly what he is now, he would have been their biggest heel. Mankind was a great heel, but wasn't mainstream enough to be the top heel. Undertaker was evil, but he had been a solid face for years prior, so that hurt him a bit in my opinion. Kane was good too, but was really only meant to go after Taker, so he didn't really have the range Orton would have had. Rock was a great heel, but he was a tweener (like Austin) even when he was doing terrible things to poor Mick Foley. Big Show wasn't good enough in the ring. Triple H would have been Orton's biggest competition in terms of being the top heel, in my opinion. While Orton performs horrible cruel acts, Triple H was a bit more timid. He cheated most of the time, and relied on others to help him win most of the time. They would have very different, and I believe they would have been the top two heels in all of wrestling.

Not even during the Attitude Era could Orton have pulled off a tweener role. He is a pure evil heel. I agree that he would have had much more freedom to do whatever he needed to do to get heat back in the Attitude Era. While Austin and Rock were tweeners, they weren't evil. Austin was mean, but wasn't evil. Most of the time, post-Wrestlemania 14, he was doing mean things that we all wanted to do. The Rock did evil things, but was too comical do ever really be thought of as an evil person. I think the cruel punishment Orton would have put guys like Austin and the Rock through would have been too much for the fans to cheer. His off-balance, nearly psychotic character would have been amazing to watch back then.

P.S. Brian Pillman was off balance and mean at times, but wasn't sadistic. I don't think it's a good comparison.

I think he would've been huge back then, but then again, isn't he pretty huge know? Remember Orton used to literally spit in people's faces? What about about all the punts, and attempts to end other wrestlers careers? And didn't he slap Vince McMahon in the face, and DDT his daughter? What I'm trying to get at here is, even in a PG environment (excluding the spitting) Orton has done some pretty vile things as it is, so I'm not sure there would be much of difference from where he could've been in the attitude era, to where he is now.

well one things for sure, if this was the attitude era, stephanie would have got more than a ddt and kiss from orton, he would be perfect for the era, his character is edgy just like that era, and would be super over as a legend killing, viper, tweener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back