• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Quick DQ

The Brain

King Of The Ring
For the past few months there has been an annoying trend in some WWE matches. Lately it seems the referees are a little trigger happy when it comes to a disqualification. It seems that all of a sudden the refs are extremely by the book and there is no leniency in matches anymore. I don't mind a DQ finish but I at least want a good reason why someone got disqualified. One of the more common DQ reasons as of late has been a wrestler punching or stomping an opponent in the corner for five seconds. This happened last night between Kane and John Cena and it looked ridiculous.

I have no problem with that match ending in a DQ but at least have Kane go get a chair. Even hitting the ref after being warned would have been better. Disqualifying someone immediately at a five count for something so minor doesn't make the aggressor look like an uncontrollable rule breaker. It makes the opponent look weak, like he needs protection from the ref. It makes matches look weak in general. I feel like the one that gets disqualified is the victim for losing the match due to a minor infraction. The DQ comes so quick that I find myself sympathizing with the cheater instead of being glad that he got what he deserved. I want to see him get what he deserves from his opponent not from the referee. Imagine if this rule was always enforced. Steve Austin would have been disqualified every time he stomped a mud hole in someone.

Like I said, I don't mind a disqualification. Just find a better reason for one. Disqualifying someone for such a lame reason doesn't make anyone involved look good.

While I agree with you, it seems as though they're more likely to call a DQ depending on whether or not it's part of a storyline. Sometimes you can see refs counting to 5 and nothing happens, or someone practically gets low-blowed, or you see tag partners interfere and not get DQ'ed. Other times they do (See: John Cena vs. The Wyatts). It's really all dependent on where they're trying to go with the storyline (or lack thereof).

It's lazy but it serves a purpose. DQ's happen too often but it is a good way for the heel to look "bad" and it prevents either superstar getting pinned or tapping out.

I agree that Kane should have done more to get DQ'd. He easily could have him hit Cena with a chair. It does the same thing except look Kane look like a temperamental monster.

Completely agree. Oh I miss the days where good heels like Edge hit their opponent with the title or brass knuckles....

It's a two fold thing and it makes total sense to me... first off they have gone with this "tweener thing" where there are "no heels" as such anymore, this isn't some master strategy by Vince but for a very specific reason and they are doing this quick DQ thing for the same reason. They have realised that the rules are so "relaxed" that it's nigh on impossible to "be a heel" any more.

ECW and the garbage wrestling trend nearly killed the heel off completely but the process was long in decline once the closed fist became normal, the 5 second tag rule was lost and refs stopped checking boots before a match... How can someone actually cheat anymore in a way that is going to get them real heat when we have seen faces put people through announce tables, onto tacks, using Sledgehammers?

When Terry Funk piledrove Flair it was a massive heel moment... equivalently heel acts are now the complete norm, when you see Cena AA'ing Wyatt into a rigged box or Sister Abigail on the outside then how are you supposed to buy into "BAH GOD he broke his leg cos the held the ropes with the figure four."

They are slowly going to rebuild the rulebook, a bit smarter than the old days... Punches will be legal but it'll become a lot more UFC like... but to do that you have to have some matches sacrificed to "quick" DQ's that for years wouldn't have been called... once "order" is restored and the rules mean something again, THEN you can have heels again...

i'm not sure if it's still a TNA rule or not, but i remember certain matches where if a superstar got intentionally disqualified, the other guy not only won but could win a title if one was on the line in said match.

in fact, i'm pretty sure that's how Abyss won the World Title against Sting. Sting got disqualified for some reason or another and so Abyss won the match and the World Title.

that said, i really like that idea. i'm so tired of title matches ending via DQ. especially on ppv, major or minor. cheating to win can be bad enough to be force-fed for months at a time, but intentional disqualification just makes me sick to my stomach. plus it makes the guy, usually the heel in the match, look like a total wuss.

as it relates to the specific match between Cena and Kane listed above, it was one of the most ridiculous DQ finishes i've ever seen. maybe i'm just being extra sensitive and dramatic, but seriously. what was the freaking point of that? so instead of one guy looking bad by taking a loss, you make both guys look bad -- Cena is a wuss and Kane is an idiot. smart booking, right? at least make the DQ worth while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back