• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The problem with legends.

BTLion1990

Pre-Show Stalwart
Now first of all I am not knocking legends or claiming they aren't relevant.

Recently I was watching RAW and it was announced that Stone Cold would be special ref in Lawler/Cole at WrestleMania. Austin has also been a ref for Y2J/Batista I believe, and Lashley/Umaga. He was also going to have a program with Jonathon CoachMan, Goldust and the very overweight out of shape Vader.

My point is that young fans will see S.C.S.A as this, as a joke. I was too young to watch Snuka, Hacksaw and Mae Young to name a few and all have come back into WWE over the years and quite frankly they've been embarrassing to watch. The fans who witnessed their careers will tell you that what we've seen from them now-a-days has been a joke, I mean Hacksaw was the first Royal Rumble winner!

When we see Hulk Hogan and The Rock come back and get thrown into the spotlight we see them as who they are, whereas Austin just looks like a special ref watered down version of the old Stone Cold and fans shouldn't remember him that way. If they can't use a wrestler to their caliber due to lack of booking or physical condition then don't use them. All I will remember Snuka for is barely moving against Y2J at Mania and it is sad.

What do you guys think of the state of legends being used in wrestling. I know my argument is WWE based, but there are a lot of legends in TNA also.

My point is that young fans will see S.C.S.A as this, as a joke.

In every single segment Stone Cold Steve Austin has come back to do he has been put over as the single most badass man to ever walk this planet. Stunning EVERYONE, and always being put over, I don't fully understand your logic here.

I was too young to watch Snuka, Hacksaw and Mae Young to name a few and all have come back into WWE over the years and quite frankly they've been embarrassing to watch.

Whoa, Snuka a joke? Really?

The fans who witnessed their careers will tell you that what we've seen from them now-a-days has been a joke, I mean Hacksaw was the first Royal Rumble winner!

Yes, how dare the WWE not put over 60 year old men facing the world's most talented athletes in the prime of their careers.

Are you suggesting the WWE should have allowed Hacksaw to come in, kick ass every which way possible, and bury their current talent?

When we see Hulk Hogan and The Rock come back and get thrown into the spotlight we see them as who they are, whereas Austin just looks like a special ref watered down version of the old Stone Cold and fans shouldn't remember him that way.

:lol: Was Austin ever anything more than a beer guzzling, stunner providing, son of a bitch during his Main Event days?

What do you guys think of the state of legends being used in wrestling. I know my argument is WWE based, but there are a lot of legends in TNA also.

I think they're being well used. They get the pops they deserve, however if you're suggesting the WWE allow a bunch of 60-80 year old wrestlers to dominate the scene when they're on the program; that's ridiculous.

It's the same wrap every single time a Legend is in the WWE, and deserving so.

The WWE gives them the glory they deserve, allows the wrestlers to get their pins, and then finds a way to allow a wrestler in today's scene come down; help the Legend whilst giving the Wrestler of today a small rub off of the Legend.

They need these legends to help get some of the greener guys over. Why do you think that alot of them usually show up around WM time or at one of the other big PPV's. They are being used properly and help the current gen to get over better. Would the Miz look all that threatening right now had he not been laying out Cena and talking crap to the Rock. If all he did was attack Cena who really has not been paying much attention to Miz and allow him to focus on Miz and have the attacks he still would not look like that much of challenge. With Stone Cold infused into the Lawler/Cole match it could set up Austin stunning not only Lawler but Cole, AY, Swagger and anyone else that gets in his way, it gives a little bit of unpredictability to the match and it serves to keep Cole more of a somewhat honest person int he ring instead of all of his cronies getting involved.

I have no problem with it at all in either of the companies. I would like to see less of the older stars in TNA, but what other names will bring people into watch the show who don't normally watch(some better story lines would help too).

Milk- I think you completely misunderstood what the original poster was trying to say. What he was trying to say is that seeing some of the legends coming back to compete 10-15 years after their prime, can take away the good memories of them when they were in their prime.

For example whenever Slaughter comes out to wrestle some kind of match in the last few years, in my opinion it is almost embarrasing to watch him now as I remember him as a great perfomer in the 80's/90's

Milk- I think you completely misunderstood what the original poster was trying to say. What he was trying to say is that seeing some of the legends coming back to compete 10-15 years after their prime, can take away the good memories of them when they were in their prime.

For example whenever Slaughter comes out to wrestle some kind of match in the last few years, in my opinion it is almost embarrasing to watch him now as I remember him as a great perfomer in the 80's/90's

Exactly what I'm on about. I'm not saying their careers are jokes, or they were jokes in their prime. But every time they mention Snuka for example, he was the man that lept from a 20 foot high steel cage. The match at Mania with Jericho was a massive joke!! He couldn't move therefore don't embarrass him, even if he wanted the match, it makes younger fans see those moments not the old ones as they're too young to even know.

Im not saying spotlight every legend and have them win titles or have 40 minute promos, Im just saying people will see certain legends in the light they've been shed in now, such as Sgt Slaughter in this example.

I for one know you completely missed the point to my post.

The point to legends coming back isn't to see them compete. If you honestly expect any of the Legends to put on the greatest Professional Wrestling match in the history of wrestling you're sorely mistaken.

The point is simple.

A) Today's stars are given decent sized rubs for helping a Legend. Vice-versa for heels, it generates a large amount of heat for them.

B) A Legend gets to feel the most exhilarating feeling in their lives one last time: walking through the curtain to hear 30-50,000 fans chanting their names.

C) While it may not be the greatest match, they get to put on "one more match" something every single Wrestler has ever done. Professional Wrestling is a wicked lifestyle, it either IS your life, or you aren't making it to the "big leagues." Half of these guys literally do not remember their lives, other than wrestling.

Often times you see these Legends come back to relive the one thing they know, Professional Wrestling.

Is it the most beautiful thing ever? No. Do the matches usually suck? Yes. Does it represent their true primes? No. However it pays respect to the Legends that paved the way for today's wrestlers, and gives them a taste of their most precious memories..

this thread reminds me an older thread that i read many moons ago. i believe it was posted by user "Tenta" and that it came up as it relates to Terry Funk. Tenta had asked if Terry Funk's latter years destroyed the legacy of his former years.

his example was that, because of Funk's later years, where his matches were kinda lacking and his primary offense was to beat the hell out of himself and his opponents via hardcore matches, Terry Funk erased his prime years when he would wrestle five-star classics and Iron Man matches with the likes of Ric Flair.

i think that is a thread worth searching out and looking up just because it kinda reminds me of this thread. i, myself, am unable to do so now because i'm at work.

the idea though is that legends can sometimes hurt their own legacies because the newer fans that see only the most recent events and have no history of the prime years of these guys see sub-par quality, especially when compared to what once was.

there are lots of guys we could talk about here and sometimes it's more sad than others. then other times, you look at guys that still put on some pretty good matches despite their age and ring rust, though this is not as common as the OP mentioned.

my personal thought is that legends should come back. they should be involved. but if they are going to be involved on-screen, they should limit their in-ring time. if you can't wrestle, don't. that's not all that wrestling is about.

why not be a promo guy, a manager, a back stage hand, trainer, scout, etc. there are so many ways that legends can be used. i wish that they would be, albeit in a more practical manner.

just my two cents.

I think as long as they are in the condition to still wrestle at a level that is as good as some of the other WWE stars then thats fine e.g. Hogan at WM18 and Ricky Steamboat at WM25.

However, I agree that Snuka could not do a thing, his skin is now so saggy he looks like something not very pretty in between your legs. It's sad because i love Snuka, back in the day when he was flying of cages and getting hit with coconuts. It truley made me feel sorry for him at WM25, it tarnishes his legacy. Roddy Pipper, my favorite wrestler of all time, has put on weight and every time he comes back he looks worse and makes the young fans see him as JUST an old fat guy. He is not, he is a hero to me and many others!

I have no problem with the Austin angle or other returning legends. I have no problem with seeing the old timers, who arnt fully able, as on air personalities. However, I dont want to see them in trunks and trying to wrestle like they used to be able to.

I love seeing legends who can still cut it getting a bit of air time and I love seeing those who can't cut it in the ring talking trash or managing, etc. but please no more Snuka or Mae Young and her puppies!

The only problem I have with them returning are if the only reason they're coming back is to get their ass whooped and put a young guy over.

Obviously Austin isn't going to get beat down and make another guy look superior, but superstars along the lines of Snuka and Duggan, are embarrassing to watch.

Now first of all I am not knocking legends or claiming they aren't relevant.

Recently I was watching RAW and it was announced that Stone Cold would be special ref in Lawler/Cole at WrestleMania. Austin has also been a ref for Y2J/Batista I believe, and Lashley/Umaga. He was also going to have a program with Jonathon CoachMan, Goldust and the very overweight out of shape Vader.

My point is that young fans will see S.C.S.A as this, as a joke. I was too young to watch Snuka, Hacksaw and Mae Young to name a few and all have come back into WWE over the years and quite frankly they've been embarrassing to watch. The fans who witnessed their careers will tell you that what we've seen from them now-a-days has been a joke, I mean Hacksaw was the first Royal Rumble winner!

When we see Hulk Hogan and The Rock come back and get thrown into the spotlight we see them as who they are, whereas Austin just looks like a special ref watered down version of the old Stone Cold and fans shouldn't remember him that way. If they can't use a wrestler to their caliber due to lack of booking or physical condition then don't use them. All I will remember Snuka for is barely moving against Y2J at Mania and it is sad.

Wow, you're an idiot. Stone Cold looks pretty much exactly the same as he did 10 years ago except for maybe a SLIGHTLY bigger gut. It's not like he's coming out and wrestling spot-filled wrestling matches.

He comes out, gives the finger, stuns everybody, drinks beer and then leaves. He still looks great doing this as he is jacked as all hell. Think before you post, Potsie.

Wow, you're an idiot. Stone Cold looks pretty much exactly the same as he did 10 years ago except for maybe a SLIGHTLY bigger gut. It's not like he's coming out and wrestling spot-filled wrestling matches.

He comes out, gives the finger, stuns everybody, drinks beer and then leaves. He still looks great doing this as he is jacked as all hell. Think before you post, Potsie.

Good one man, coz I used to remember all of those classic promos of Austin coming out and stunning The Rock, drinking and then leaving. Oh wait never happened did it, he usually got on the mic. And all those special ref moments in pointless matches. Oh wait he was Main Eventing every week.

So people in this generation will see Austin as only that. If you go off tangent don't bother posting really. You say it as if I only accounted for S.C.S.A. If you read the post and most comments you will get what this thread is about. Moron.

Oh, relax. They get paid for their performances, don't they? Plus, if those legends themselves decide it's ok for them to perform in that guest capacity who are we to tell them they can't do it? It's not like they're helpless puppets under the control of Vince. Austin, for example, doesn't do it for the money, but because he wants to. Does it tarnish his legacy? Not really. It would tarnish his legacy if he insisted on being presented as a wrestling God who can still beat the top current superstars, like Hulk Hogan did when he beat Michaels and Orton. THAT is damaging your legacy. Being there in a guest capacity and accepting that the show is no longer about you is perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back