• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Pope Practices What He Preaches

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I came across this story just a little while ago and I have to admit that I was taken aback. I don't know if I was more taken aback by the goings on in this story or the rarity of a story detailing some of the true, core beliefs of Christianity.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/world/europe/pope-francis-embrace/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So often we see news stories discussing religious tensions, sex scandals rocking the Roman Catholic Church, entire congregations spewing hate speech in the name of God, etc. After all, these stories are juicy and controversy always generates a buzz. This simple story, however, is touching and heartwarming. It's not exactly the type of news that seems fashionable, which makes it all the more welcome in my eyes.

Pope Francis is shown embracing, blessing and even kissing a man that has been severely disfigured ravaged by a very rare disease known as neurofibromatosis. The disease is a genetic disorder that results in the growth of potentially thousands of extremely painful tumors throughout the body. It can also lead to various heart & blood vessel problems, as tumors can develop even there, severe compression of nerves and the loss of sight and hearing. There are photos in the link provided of Pope Francis openly embracing and blessing this man without the slightest reservation or revulsion at his appearance or condition. Pope Francis, since taking the position, has repeatedly stated that he believes that one of the Church's true duties is to serve the poor and destitute, to turn NO ONE away who is in need.

I was thinking about this and I couldn't help but feel ashamed because how many of us wouldn't be able to offer any sort of comfort? How many of us would simply be to overcome by our own reaction to the man's deformities to offer any real degree of kindness or compassion?

If we're going to be honest here then I will openly say I would be repulsed. I'm ashamed of that but it's true.

To share something similar and to validate how sure I am about this I will offer this. One night working third shift a wedding party came in and the groom was a Marine who served over in Afghanistan. He was the victim of a roadside bomb and he was severely disfigured. He, his new wife and some of their friends came in for the night and they decided to stop at the front desk to talk to my co worker and I and to let us know that there would be one other guy coming in later. They stayed and talked to us for about 20 minutes. They were all incredibly nice people but honestly I had a hard time looking at the guy. It took everything I had to look him in the eye when he was talking and when I was responding. It's an image that stuck with me for a long time. This was a guy that was around the same age I was at the time (early 20s) and he got those wounds serving our country. He was funny and nice. His personality should have been my focus.

It's nice to see the Pope is a man of his word. I have heard nothing but good things about the guy. It's nice to see a positive story when there are so many negative ones out there.

Pope Francis, since taking the position, has repeatedly stated that he believes that one of the Church's true duties is to serve the poor and destitute, to turn NO ONE away who is in need.

I'd commend the Pope for this, but it shouldn't be necessary, should it? Isn't this how he should feel? In fact, if there's anyone who should be espousing these views and setting a good example, he should be the one, no?

As leader of the Catholic church, many of the old-time ideas he preaches have become increasingly unpopular with people of his religion; the world has moved on (for better or worse) and while it's good that the old guard should keep the ancient flames burning, it's also true that many followers of the faith have rejected the teachings and tenets, choosing to go their own way.

Still, Pope Francis, in remaining true to what he believes, embraces the man with the horrifying disease. We shouldn't be surprised by this, nor should we expect any less from the Pope. If God decided that this poor man suffer this terrible malady, Pope Francis feels it's his lot to embrace what God has chosen, right?

The Pope is no hypocrite; he practices what he preaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back