• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Opening Match

The opening match on any card can be very important -- pivotal even. At WrestleMania, that is turned up 100 times, as the opening match sets the tone for the biggest card of the year. From Bret and Owen at WrestleMania X, to Eddie and Rey at WrestleMania 21, there have been some excellent openers over the years. These matches, especially Bret and Owen, could be seen as having stolen the show, even with the added pressure of going on first. The opening match, if done right, can capture your interest and instantly suck you into the show -- if done wrong, it can leave a bad taste in your mouth and reflect poorly on the show as a whole.

At WrestleMania 28, the show will be about Rock and Cena, but they still have to do whatever they can to entertain the people. The pressure on the wrestlers in the opener will be immense, maybe even worse than ever before. With such a legendary main event, you might think it would be forgotten, but on the other side of that, you have to think about what would happen if the opener was a stinker. Those men tasked with opening the show would forever be remembered for disappointed the fans on what could be the greatest WrestleMania ever. The stakes are higher than before, the pressure is worse than ever, it's going to be a very tough position on the card.

That being said, who/what do you feel that the WWE will give the responsibility of opening the show? Do you agree that the pressure is greater than ever or do you think it will be overshadowed regardless?

Since I am of the belief that the pressure will be immense, I think they want to go with a trusted hand, or at the very least, a marquee match-up. Edge and Alberto Del Rio opened with a World Heavyweight Championship match last year and I think it could very easily be something they replicate this year. Whether the title is on Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton or whoever, it instantly offers some relief of that pressure. You know the fans will be happy seeing a World Heavyweight Title match, so it makes a lot of sense to have that open. A Randy Orton/Wade Barrett/Daniel Bryan triple threat match would definitely satisfy the fans, but it would also have the potential to be a great match. I'd also be satisfied with an Intercontinental Title defense from Cody Rhodes, especially if it came against the likes of Christian. That'd be a great match, it would give off and aura of importance (title on the line), and it would be an excellent way to kick off the night. Bottom line: I think they need to put up a good match that carries some weight behind it (World/Intercontinental Title match), if they want to avoid disappointment.

So, what do you guys think?

A World title match opening did work last year and could work this year, however I believe that the ideal opening match would be The Undertaker's Streak match

Now Undertaker's streak defense matches are usually very high on the card, and there is a low chance of it ever sinking from that spot as ling as the Undertaker is an active competitor. In all honesty almost every year Taker manages to put on a Match of the year candidate, overcoming ring rust and age to do so. The opener in my opinion should be one of the best matches of the night, a match that gets the crowd going and excited for the show. Now there is no guarantee that the man himself will even be competing at the show with a legend in the making main event on the card, but I hop he will pull through. Again the streak matches always keep people glued to their seats and remain there for the rest of the show. Now I know this has very little chance of happening due to Taker's prestige backstage but with a main event like Cena/Rock, I think it evens out the card nicely.

With Cena/Rock headlining the show, no match on the card will even come close to being as important. In terms of match quality a match may surpass the main event but that is not set in stone. Not even Undertaker's 20-0 match will be as hyped up as the main event. I am sure that the task of opening what looks to be one of the biggest events in WWE history has to go to the Deadman. Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, and Randy Orton will all find themselves halfway through the card, a legend must be the one to start the big event out. I really doesn't matter who Undertaker is against or how big the pressure is, he always delivers since he is reliable when it comes to Wrestlemania.

Leave to the big boys to open the show, the others can be sandwiched between the streak and Cena/Rock.

I believe the opening match will be a Raw match, either including Jack Swagger (c) vs. Rey Mysterio, for the US Title or Jack Swagger (c) vs. Kofi Kingston for the US Title. I also think a Miz-Mysterio match is a potential opener, however, I don't like the idea of Miz opening the card. Then again, I would have never thought the WWE would have Edge or a World Title match open Mania.

A World title match opening did work last year and could work this year, however I believe that the ideal opening match would be The Undertaker's Streak match
When I first read your post, I thought no way in hell would that work. every time I have watched an Undertaker match at WM, I haven't been interested in the matches after that. but after replying to another thread first, I realized that it would be a good idea. Nothing would be worse then having the undertaker match right before the main event of John Cena and the rock. it would be hard to follow it. With The undertaker match coming on first, as long as they had a slightly better then average match after it, by the time the next decent match came on, Mine (and maybe others) would be able to calm down from the undertaker match. I'm with you on this one, This would be the best opening match for this years wrestlemania.

I'm pretty sure WWE has learned its lesson after the craziness of Rock/Hogan and the zero buzz for the Undisputed Championship match between Hunter and Jericho that followed. Marquee matches like Career vs Streak prove that Cena/Rock will INDEED go on last. But what do I know?

Opening match, isn't the MiTB returning this year? That would be a great opener and will probably feature some other poor sap taking Bourne's bumps. Otherwise I do think it can be Jack Swagger vs Zack Ryder to open. It isn't that exciting but they would like to get it outta the way.

My how times have changed. The opening match of a card used to be pretty much a throw away. It used to be an unimportant match that lasted a few minutes while the crowd got settled in. I fully recognize and appreciate the evolution of the opening match but I still don’t think it should be anything too big. I absolutely hated it last year when Edge vs. ADR opened WM27. Yeah I know I’m old school and these kinds of things don’t seem to matter much anymore but to me it’s ridiculous to put on a world title match first. No way should Taker go on first either. Over the past few years his match has become one of the most anticipated parts of mania. Promoting 101 tells you that you don’t open a show with one of your most anticipated attractions.

This year I’d like to see two upper mid card wrestlers open the show. Two guys who are capable of putting on a good match and getting the crowd involved. Two guys who have been around a long time and the fans care about. A good old fashioned feud with no titles on the line. I think Rey Mysterio vs. Christian would be a great choice. These two have been around for so long and have never crossed paths. Their ring work is respected by the fans and I can see these two putting on a very good match. I think this gives the perfect amount of excitement to start the show without giving too much away early. After all, you need a little foreplay before you blow your load.

That would be a good idea and something different haveing Undertaker open Wrestlemania. I liked it when they have and Intercontinental or United States title match as opener although you never see those titles defened. If they internet is right and there bringing back money in the bank at Wrestlemania that be a good way to start it off too. I liked the one year when Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero opened up Wrestlemania

I know everyones come to expect Taker to win no matter who he faces but I think having his match as the opening is devaluing it. It is one of the most looked forward to matches on the card and seems like a waste to start the show with it.

If I were to choose a match and its one that might not even happen but I know has potential. Id love to see Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust for the title in a street fight of some sort. The feud has plenty of potential, obviously the brother vs. brother thing. It could even be a retirement stipulation for Goldust, Career vs. Title. With Codys gimmick I think this feud could get very personal. Cody is an up and coming great talent and Goldust still has it in him to put on one final match. Goldust name is a big enough name to garner plenty of support and the storyline of Rhodes being better than Goldust already is good. You could bring in Dusty to work a few shows with the guys maybe even have COdy take out his father and thus pushing Goldust over the edge to show a more brutal side of him.

Another match that could work opening up is MITB. Or just an upper mid card match with Rey, Ziggler, Sheamus, Orton, Barrett...depending on what matches these guys are in if any(rey).

Also throwing this out there, if Rey returns and Sin Cara returns wouldn't mind them teaming up to take on Epico & Primo for the belts. Fast paced, all good workers and with Rey's name being in it it would be an anticipated match.

My vote goes to Goldust/Rhodes in some sort of gimmick Career vs. Title, Street Fight, or both...

In the long history of WrestleMania, we have had a medley of different matches to open the night. Not including the "dark match/ DVD special" we have seen ten non-title single matches, seven tag team matches, two Money in the Bank matches, two Battle Royals, one Cruiserweight championship, one United States championship, three Intercontinental championships, and one World Heavyweight championship. Obviously the favored opener has been the non-title singles match, many of which were random lower-to-mid-card bouts. The most prestigious among them likely being Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio, and Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart.

I don't know if it's possible to say that there is a "best" way of opening WrestleMania. Last year we had a WOrld title opener for the first time in history, and I thought it really helped kick things off with a bang. However, due to other issues with the card (namely Michael Cole) the rest of the night was pretty terrible... But some of the best WrestleMania's opened with relatively meaningless mid-card matches, often featuring people fans never talk about. I think what this shows us is that the opener means a lot to the pacing of the night, but in the end it's up to the rest of the card to produce a solid show. If the rest of the night is excellent, the opener could be Santino vs. Heath Slater and nobody is going to care.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing something a bit different to open Mania. We've had two Battle Royals in the past, three if you count the ECW contender's match that Kane won, and they've all been different. If they tried something interesting like a "wildcard" tag team battle royal, where random teams got made up and they fought for contention to the tag team titles later on, that would be somewhat interesting. That way you could have guys like R-Truth and Dolph Ziggler participate twice in a night without over-extending themselves, and increase the overall value of the card. Honestly, the tag titles don't matter, so having somebody like Tyler Rekks and Curt Hawkins, or the Usos win would be good enough for me. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but something unique would be fun! We're all going to be counting down to Rock/Cena anyways...

As for who do I think will get the honor... If the Money in the Bank concept returns to Mania this year, I could see that starting the show. But I could also see Miz and R-Truth given the opener. A good solid mid-card feud that would get the fans excited, but save the big matches until the end. Then again, with Rock/Cena and likely Punk/Jericho being the double main event, they might want to start with the World title again, as to not completely exhaust the crowd before the "big moment".

I think the opening match for WM XXVIII should the Money In The Bank Ladder match featuring 10 SuperStars that are not Champions. In my dream card for WM, I have:

10 – Man Money In The Bank Ladder match
Unified WWE Tag Team Championship match
WWE Divas Championship Battle Royal match
Celebrity match (Big Show vs. Shaq please, or Pac-Man vs. Money, HAHA!!)
Fatal 4 Way United States Championship match
Fatal 4 Way Intercontinental Championship match
Undertaker’s WM Streak match
Triple Threat World Heavyweight Championship match
Triple Threat WWE Championship match
The Rock vs. John Cena Main Event / Main Attraction match

That’s 10 matches using at least 33 SuperStars and all of the active Divas. It could be the Biggest WM ever as far as how many are on the card. Having a Title match open the show, let alone a World Title match, didn’t work for me personally. I think the best way to kick it off is with the Money In The Bank Ladder match and I would tease a cash in on both WWE World Titles that night.

I don't think Undertaker should open the show. Yes, it would kick 'Mania off with a bang, but you should never open the show with one of the main attractions, that is basic promoting knowledge. Obviously, Cena v The Rock will go on last, and both World Title matches (why the fuck is there still 2 World belts btw?!) will be at the upper end of the card, I would personally sandwich 'Taker's streak match in between both World title bouts.

As for opening the show, I don't want a meaningless match so I think a US or Intercontinental title match would be a perfect start to what could be one of the biggest 'Manias of all time. Cody Rhodes v Goldust with the IC belt and perhaps Goldust's career on the line would be a good pick. There is enough back story there to make it an interesting match, with the guys being brothers and the chance for one brother to send the other into retirement.

Dusty Rhodes could also be involved somehow, whether managing one of his sons or as the special referee and the match could be some kind of street fight. I would love to see Dusty turn heel on Goldy, siding with Cody and "ending the career" of his eldest son. That would be awesome to see, definitely get Cody some severe heat and be an awesome way to kick off WM28.

Taker's streak should not open the show. No way. I really dislike main events going first (really didn't like Del Rio vs Edge opening last year), and Takers match, his 20-0 match, should not go first.

If MITB is gonna be back at Mania, I see no reason why that won't be the first match. Nice little explosive encounter to kick things off.

If it isn't however, I'm with Naitch. Rhodes vs Goldust, IC Title. Or just an IC title match. Hell, a US title match would do. Either of those I'd be happy with. Hell, I'd settle with the belts just being defended at Mania. But Naitch's idea I could actually see working, and that'd be my pick for Mania's opening match.

Great topic.

I'm glad people still recognize the importance of details in wrestling...and what makes a show great. The opening match of Wrestlemania and the flow of the show is extremely important. Do I think Edge/ADR opening last year with the World title was good? No, not at all. World titles are suppose to be the main attraction and having it on first wouldn't be fair for the superstars that follow after. Not only that, but the winner of the Rumble gets to open the show? Not a smart move.

Instead, the opening match should be 2 talented superstars that can put on a great WRESTLING match. You want to excite the crowd with your athelticism and make them remember why they paid the big bucks to be there. A hot opening match will impress the audience and make them think it's only going to get better. First impressions.

Mid-card titles such as the IC and US are great to open the show, or perhaps a cruiserweight match that gets the crowd going. I'm glad others recognize the importance of the opening match, I applaud you.

far too many mulitple talent matches, silly.

I think the opening match should be the MITB match, get the crowd popping early and staright into the action. Especially if they plan on the winner cashing in the same evening, it gives the talent extra time to rest.

The cards finale will be The Rock vs John Cena. The match before that you would think is CM Punk vs Chris Jericho. The WHC match will probably go on leading into the intermission.

I am sold on the idea of Takers match opening the show. Way to start with an almighty bang. I loved Edge and Del Rio opening the show last year, gave the belt some prestige and showed it was important rather than just thrown in there 75% into the event.

Rock vs Cena is the biggest main event ever (some people will deny but they are kidding themselves). I would have the Divas match right before that. People get their voices back, have a rest and maybe go for a piss right before 'the big one'. I would have Punk vs Jericho just before this. I expect that will be an exciting match.

MITB. If the MITB returns to Wrestlemania, I think you have to open with this as a way to whip the crowd into a frenzy right away. I know I mentioned that already in the WWE cancels MITB PPV thread, but dammit, it's true. MITB forces you to pay attention to the PPV right from the very beginning. If you can get a few "Holy shit!" moments right away, you will have a lively crowd for the rest of the 4 hours, and that looks the best on TV. The absolute worst thing the WWE needs is to have a dead crowd that needs to be energized midway through the show. They need to grab the audience by the proverbial balls right away, and the best way to do that is with MITB.

Even though the streak is a huge deal, there is already a high profile match in the rock and cena so do you really want takers match to be right before it? I don't it would do one of two things. A: Devalue takers match or B: Devalue th rock/cena. I don't see option B happening because the rock and cena is a match ppl have wanted to see for forever now and you cant put that match in the middle. I mean you just can't. I can see the argument against putting it first but it'd be a bang of a way to start the show. You can't put it after the first match either so either do one of three things. 1) Make it the first match on the car 2) Make it the last match or 3) Put it off until WM 30. Just some suggestions.

If the Money in the Bank match returns this year, I'd prefer for the match to go on first. Like Davi said...
They need to grab the audience by the proverbial balls right away, and the best way to do that is with MITB.
They need to open with the match that will likely grab in most of the fans and what a better way to do that than displaying the occasional high, risky spots in a ladder match? I hated Edge and Del Rio opening Wrestlemania last year; especially with Del Rio winning the Rumble. The Undertaker should take this year's 'Mania because of obvious reasons. When looking at the WWE roster, it’s hard to find an opponent worthy to take on the Undertaker at the biggest stage of them all. Triple H doesn’t need it, neither does Kane, or Mark Henry. Even if he does wrestle this year, his match will likely be on of the last. With so many main events this year, the WWE should advertise it as a multi-main event show. With Undertaker’s match, the two Championship matches and The Rock advertised as the main events, that leaves the Money in the Bank to open. A match that'll capture the audiences' attention and pull in Wrestlemanias' viewers.

Just read Davi's post.

When I first read your post, I thought no way in hell would that work. every time I have watched an Undertaker match at WM, I haven't been interested in the matches after that. but after replying to another thread first, I realized that it would be a good idea. Nothing would be worse then having the undertaker match right before the main event of John Cena and the rock. it would be hard to follow it. With The undertaker match coming on first, as long as they had a slightly better then average match after it, by the time the next decent match came on, Mine (and maybe others) would be able to calm down from the undertaker match. I'm with you on this one, This would be the best opening match for this years wrestlemania.

I did the exact same thing as you. It wouldn't be wise to put it just before the rock cena match, but if it gets sandwiched in the middle it could get lost in the shuffle. if it's the first match it sort of sets the tone for the night.
and if the money in the bank match is brought back to WM, I think it would be a great choice to follow. in ordinary match obviously wouldn't be able to follow it but the mitb match is always jaw-dropping and exciting.

It will either be MITB if it is indeed back this year........ Or hopefully an IC or US title match! Rhodes vs Rhodes or Swagger vs Ryder would both be great openers! Just dont open with a WHC match like last year!

I think that MITB should go on first, and then tease throughout the night that whoever won could cash in that evening. I know it won't happen, but there could be the thoughts of maybe someone cashing it in, especially if someone like the Miz won it. He already "main evented" last year, so I wouldn't put that past him to cash in right away.

The opening match needs to be something that will get the fans hyped up and excited for the event. They had a few years where Wrestlemania's opened with a Money In the Bank match. These matches are always exciting so if it comes back this year, I would not be surprised if it opens the show. As long as they don't open it with a World Championship match like last year, that was ridiculous. The only thing worse than opening it with a world title match would be having Cena and The Rock go first. WWE have made some mistakes over the years, but they are smart enough to save the more important matches for later on in the evening.

I personally would want to see a midcard title match go first, or perhaps a tag team titles match. The opening match of Wrestlemania 26 is a great example. ShowMiz took on Morrison & Truth in a match that set the pace for an excellent show by hyping people up right from the start. If they find the right guys to catch people's attention from the very beginning then a midcard or tag team title match going first is the route I'd take. Imagine Air Boom starting off the show in tag team action, or someone like Sin Cara challenging for a midcard title. Or they could do MITB first. Just please not another world title opener like last year. That was a bad call.

While the Taker match is actually a damn fine idea for a starter, to put some excitement back into The Rock and Cena. I think something like Money in the Bank or Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust is the absolute perfect way to start the show. It's an exciting way to open the show without blowing your proverbial load all over the place at the beginning of the show.

I agree with most that the WHC title match at the start of WM was a terrible idea. I mean in past years the winner of the royal rumble goes on to headline WM not open it.

I agree with Davi you got to get the crowd off to a bang and what better way than a MITB match. But I think if they do that, go with six superstars not eight. Eight just seems too much.
However if there is no MITB have a triple threat or fatal four way for either IC or US belts and try and get Mysterio into it making his return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back