• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The [Official] Spiderman 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^The thing is, Sony smells $$$. Especially after putting out the biggest moneymaking weekend on record. They already have 4, 5, and 6 in place to do and have already stated they will. If it comes down to it, they'll recast every single part and start over with a fresh director. At this point, Sony can limp to the summer on this film and still break even because of the money they've made (even if a fat percentage of the box office gross...especially the international goes to the theaters) on toys, TV deals, eventual PPV sales, and a metric f*ckton of other marketing tie-ins. That's not even counting how much this thing's going to sell on DVD next Christmas. I'm just hoping that they're smart and back up the money trucks on Alvin Sargent and Sam Raimi's front lawns in a year or two to lock them into at least one more. Rumor has it that Sam's already a frontrunner for The MGM/New Line production of The Hobbit, though. Whatever happens, I pray that Sony isn't stupid and hasty with what they do. And they need to keep Zak Penn away from this franchise. He already managed to drive the X-men franchise into the ground inside of one movie without Bryan Singer and company to clean up his scripting mess. I'm cringing to think of what Penn is going to do to the Hulk, even if Norton is starring in it.

You know people are saying the franchise is rounded up in this film, but that couldn't be any further from the truth. I'm not exactly too familiar with the Spidey history, but it's obvious they could make another twenty films and still have more stories to tell. Of course I don't want that personally because theres not a chance in hell anyone would stick around for Spiderman 23. Still, this is such a classic series that I think it deserves the six film treatment that's been given to other great franchises, such as Star Wars. Venom should definately be the lead villain, I mean even people who don't know much about Spiderman know who Venom is, more so then Doc Oc or the Goblin or the Sandman or anyone else for that matter. Although of course I'd want all the main players back, all you really need is Raimi and Tobey and you're set. We don't really need MJ back honestly, she too is starting to wear very thin on my nerves.

On a sidenote, I hope to god that Raimi is the director for the Hobbit, the only other person aside from Jackson who can pull it off is this man. Imagine a cross between Army of Darkness and Lord of the Rings?! Classic!

Oh and Bruce Campbell needs to be in all of the Spiderman sequels. :D

Yea, a lot of people who didn't like the film were upset about the lack of Venom, although the teaser trailer from last year and most of the other previews did advertise the film like it would be all about Venom. But patience is a virtue, Venom will definitely get his time to shine in the 4th installment of Spidey. Because Gwen Stacy really wasn't utilized heavily in 3, she can definitely replace Mary Jane as the girl in 4, but I just think the rest of the cast has to remain intact, unless they get some damn good replacements.

True but who else is there? Theres Tobey...and that's it. Perhaps the Newspaper editor who sure as hell won't refuse to do Spidey 1-3000. Mary Jane can be casted out by bringing in more of Gwen Stacey (who's much hotter anyways...damn that girl lights me up). I've read a bit now on the history of the comic book and I gotta say I'm turning into a thirteen year old comic geek all of a sudden, I most definately need to buy as many Spidey comics as I humanly can, especially those involving Venom, Gwen Stacey, and Maximum Carnage. Also this Civil War I'm reading about seems quite interesting as well.

As long as they've got Tobey and Raimi, I'm happy. No one could make the franchise like they have, no one.

^^Well, I guess the most important would be the dude who played Dr. Conners--who still hasn't made his transformation into the Lizard yet, who in 3 was last seen dealing with the symbiote and nothing else. Definitely set that up perfectly. But I think the actress playing Petey's auntie should return, and everybody else besides Mary Jane. Yea, I gotta agree, Gwen Stacy was pretty hot, so she should definitely be Petey's main squeeze in the 4th Spidey.

So, you're turning into a Web-head, I see. Watching these damn great superhero movies will do that to you. Good reads you've picked to catch up on, especially Civil War.

But Maximum Carnage--all sizzle no steak. Carnage enlists a group of jobbers to destroy everybody and Spidey and Venom and crew team up to take them out. It's good, but it could've been so much better. Still, great battles between Spidey and Carnage--the only opponent he truly couldn't touch--are featured in Maximum Carnage, so it's worth a read just for that.

Sony will at least offer Raimi, Dunst, and Maguire that much is certain. Honestly, If i'm the big 3, I ask for 25 million a film for the next 3. Sony is doing 4-6, and why wouldn't they. Almost a half Billion, BILLION, in less then a week. The main problem is, maybe not so much Raimi leaving, but who would be the next Spiderman. You're going to have to convince the crowd right away this guy is Spidey. There are plenty of young comic book directors out there that are just absolute fan boys that want this movie. Raimi worked real well with the first Trilogy. You can tell Raimi was a fan of the older villians with the Goblin, Doc Ock, and Sandman, but you can also tell he didn't want to touch Venom, but put him in there. If it were up to Raimi and not the studio, I doubt Venom would be in this movie.

I think a new younger Director, that is a Venom guy, will be brought in. Raimi did good with the classic Villians, now it's time for the young blood to bring in some of the newer villians. Venom should without question, be the main focus of the next trilogy. The Green Goblin was the focus of the first trilogy, so Venom is just the next logical step to go.

I really like Prax's idea of Jonah hiring a mercenary team to take out Spidey in the 4th one. Guys like Scorpion, Rhino, Electro could all be in it, but secondary characters. You could have a Lizard appearance, but the Problem with the Lizard, he becomes very one dimensional as the creature. Just like Doomsday would never work in a Superman movie, no character besides smash. I like the idea of Kraven being the main bad guy, but this would be my twist to it. Like the ending of the Hulk with Bruce Banner hiding in the jungle, I would have Kraven be Eddie Brock in disguise, and only at the end does he reveal himself as Venom. Bring back Topher Grace, hes a damn good actor and can pull off the accent and trick the audience.

My spidey 5 would have to include Carnage and Venom, there is no avoiding it. The further along you go, and keep Venom around, Carnage happens.

Spidey 6, you definetly end it here. I would like to see Norman come back like in the comic books. Hiding and recovering in Europe for how many years??? Only to just destroy everything Parker has built for himself. It would be cool, but never happen.

That would probably cover the bases on most of the main spidey villians. You leave out guys like Chameleon and Hobgoblin though, but you can't do them all. Sony is going to have some work to do if they are going to impress people with 6 movies, and there is no way in hell the originals stay for all 6.

We just have to live with the fact that we cannot get all the villains. So after Venom, Carnage, Lizard, and one more guy will get their due. I think it's gotta be between Shocker and Rhino, personally. Lizard is very one dimensional, I agree, but they've been flirting with that idea since Spidey 2, so it's like they almost have to put him in there, if they just break that off with no explanation then people will be sayin 'what's up with that?' So, if they try to squeeze the rest of Spidey's foes into the next trilogy, then this series will definitely be headed to the shitter. But, on the other hand, they may surprise me.

Venom will definitely rule in 4, it's already painfully obvious. Tease Carnage in 4, unleash him in 5, there we can have Maximum Carnage all over again, with Venom sacrificing himself to kill Carnage. End of Venom and Carnage at 5. 4 should also concentrate on Petey's love thing for Gwen Stacy, cover her life and death, then MJ can return in 6, her and Petey can marry in the grand finale, after Spidey has one final battle with the Green Goblin, who is still, despite Venom's popularity, possibly Spidey's chief rival.

That would be interesting to see, but I think we'll see what you guys said about a group of villains taking on Spidey, enlisted by JJ, a broke-down version of the Sinister Six. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I knew Spiderman 3 would make so much money despite all the critics. Its just a classic movie and the first trilogy concluding the character of the Goblin, Sandman and Mary Jane/Peter Parker love story set the stage for a more action packed movie rather than supporting characters developing the character of spiderman. In Movie 4, I mainly want to see Carnage, Mysterio and Venom. Venom and Carnage getting the most attention of course. Mysterio because I love his mysterious character and the way he came about in the books and movie. A prison guy just trying to be with his wife or something like that. I don't remember. Carnage has to make his debut because when Venom debuted, Carnage debuted right after as a big enemy of Spiderman and both Venom. The thing Rami or whoever the directors are for Spiderman 4, they have to keep us wanting more by leaving us in a cliff hanger of some sort like they did in Spiderman 2 when Harry found his dad's stash of goodies.

It's already pretty much official that Tobey's not coming back as Spidey, and that really sucks ass. He was obligated to do the first three, and it would be damn near impossible to lock him up for three more, and signing him for one film at a time would be horribly expensive. But, I know that you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, so I'm not going to start losing interest yet.

Alright, so got home from my 2nd showing of Spiderman 3. This time IMAX. Oh my god, just freaking insane to watch it on that size of a screen and in perfect 7.1 surround sound. If there is an IMAX around you, see this damn movie on it.

After my 2nd viewing, I know my flaw with it. I really hated the news casters at the end. I didn't need color commentary during the movie, they were both annoying and just unneccessary.

I still can't understand why there is such a hatred for this movie amongst the fan boys. Any superhero board you go to, this movie gets torn apart. I don't post, just read the threads and you can tell it's people that are expecting an Oscar calibre film out of a comic book movie.

i would hate for them to lose toby maguire for the 4th,but if they do the only other possibility i could see would have to be jake gyllenhall because i think he could play it ok,n for a villan i would love to see venom in this one coz he wasnt in 3 enough

Yeah Shockie the newscasters were pretty annoying. I don't think they were that unnecessary, just poorly acted and poorly done. It was a nice touch (the concept of it anyway), because you see that a lot in comic books and gave it an even bigger comic book feeling... but when you think about it the movie was comic bookie enough... didn't need it.

The only thing about that part that really bothered me were how shitty those actors were. But whatever.

Take this for what its worth
This is what Michael Lynton with Sony Pictures HAS ASKED writers for.

#4: Introduction of Brock Sr. Lab accident resulting in Lizard and release of symbiote. Cliffhanger return of Venom. Possible introduction of Kraven if plausible.

#5: Venom vs Spider-Man. Introduction of Cletus Kasady. Loss of a loved one. Possible inclusion of Black Cat.

#6: "Mass Carnage"

They are toying with the idea of filming back to back like Lord of the Rings to make quick and big money. It would also be easier to keep the current cast on board so they wouldn't have to be attatched to a single project for 8 more years.

We knew the horseshit was going to come, but this is pretty bad already. I love the blessed internet, anyone makes anything up and people by it without and sources or anything.

Does anyone honestly think if Sony gives a damn if any of the original cast comes back. Do you think they would rush a project like thsi, just so Kirsten Dunst can be a stage actress? Sony sees a cash cow, and they are going to milk this bad boy. They aren't going to rush sequels out every year just to appeal to the actors. Spiderman si going to be a franchise that you see a movie come out every 3 summers until it runs its course.

By the Way, it pulled in 60 million on it's 2nd weekend. If you go to some other boards, people that hated the movie will tel you that Spidey 3 was a box office bomb because it ONLY got 60 million on it's 2nd weekend. I hate people, honestly. 60 million is the 2nd biggest weekend of the year so far, to guess what, Spidey 3's first weekend.

I finally say this yesterday. I was waiting for the holidays so I had somewhere to take the kid.

I was very dissapointed in this film. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But it wont go down as a classic superhero film like Batman Begins & X-2 will.

For 1 it was too long. I felt it just went from setpiece to set piece. I like a bit more substanct to them than that. I also didn't feel there was anything that stood out like for example the train scene in the last film.

What was the point of Gwen Stacy? I would have left her out of it. She didn't really do much. She was in it just for the sake of it. I would have saved her for future films, if Dunst decides she doesn't want to return.

They could have done with loosing one of the bad guys. Obviously not The New Goblin. I would have dumped Venom. Raimi wasn't that fussed about using him. I think he only put him in the film so future directors couldn't. It was a collosal waste. Topher Grace was great as Eddie Brock, and I wasn't satisfied by the lasck of Venom.

And with so many bad guy's, The Sandman felt like an afterthought. He's such a cool bad guy he deserved to be the main villain. They could have concentrated on him more. And it wouldn't really have changed the ending too much. You could still have had Spider-Man & Golbin battle him together.

It was good but I dont think I'll be getting the DVD as soon as it comes out. It also wont be one of those things that I'll watch over and over again. It's a shame because I dont feel there's been a truly great superhero trilogy. Out of the original Batman movies the first 2 were good, then really bad. X-Man: The Last Stand is a popcorn film, not what would have happened if Brian Singer had stayed on. The first 2 original Superman films are good, the other two suck. And I doubt that there will be a trilogy of the new version. It just seems like a bit of a waste to me. Then again the films made hundred of millions so what do I know.

I agree. Although Venom has always been my favourite Spider-Man villain, if Raimi didn't like him (which he apparently didn't), he should have been left out of the film. As it was though, I didn't much care for Sandman's portrayal, I felt his character was very, very confused. Just so Raimi could keep him in his "I'm a good guy that has to do bad things persona", he gave him a sick daughter that needed supposedly millions of dollars to pay for some mystery operation. I pray to God they never use Carnage, they'll never be able to get the complexity of Cletus Kassady's character right.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if the New Goblin was the villain of this film on his own. Instead they just rushed through the conclusion of the massive arc they'd created in the last two, superior films. They could've just left the emo superhero who uses 60's slang and dances for no reason all the time character for another film, or, better yet, scrapped it altogether. The final battle was also 90% less collosal and 100% more cheesy than I first expected. What were parents doing, taking their children to watch a dangerous battle with falling debris and just standing meters away? I was praying for MJ to miss with that cinder block and kill one of thos annoying little girl. A better final battle would have been New Goblin and Spider-Man kicking the crap out of each other while shooting round New York landmarks, ending with Peter being forced to - or accidentally - kill Harry. That would've been much more satisfying.

6/10 - An average superhero movie, although not quite down there with Superman Returns.

^You guys can thank Avi Arad's dumb ass for throwing Venom in there. Raimi was all about the classic Spidey villains. Avi and Sony just wanted more toys to sell. Another case of studio execs getting Jon Peters syndrome.

Honestly though, if it was just Sandman and the Goblin, it would have stunk to high heaven. Raimi isn't comfortable doing modern characters, he doesn't have a feel for them, as evident with Venom. If they did the black costume, I would have been fine with it, but your 3 movies in, and if you didn't include arguably Spidey's most popular villian, people would have lost interest in the movie.

I felt that Venom should have been in the 2nd one. I am the vocal minority, but I thought Spiderman 2 sucked myself. Doc Ock was a boring character. I didn't feel for him. The monologues just seemed pointless. I get his motivation, but the whole idea of a mini-sun was stupid as well. And then we get to Spiderman magically losing his powers with out so much as an explanation.

I love Sam Raimi, don't get me wrong, but when he says that the Sandman is a far more complex character then the Sandman, he is way out of touch. The Sandman is the simple single minded character, Venom is one of the more complicated Spiderman villians out there. This is all a mute point anyway, it should have probably been just Harry in the movie, with an introduction to the Eddie Brock character. Why they thought James Franco couldn't have carried the movie is beyond me? So out of all of this, I felt the Sandman was the forced character in this movie.

just some news I'd thought I'd pass on-

Source: Variety June 4, 2007

Variety reports that Spider-Man 3 has reached $844 million worldwide, which makes it the biggest movie in the Spidey franchise:

The fifth frame of Sony's "Spider-Man 3" offered the only semblance of competition to the pirates with $11.8 million at 11,500 in 77 markets, lifting the foreign total to $525.7 million, 12th best of all time. The worldwide cume has hit $844 million -- 14th highest on the all-time list -- and the three Spidey pics have combined for more than $2.4 billion in box office.

Top "Spider-Man 3" perfs came from Japan, off 37% to $1.5 million at 777 for a total of $51.7 million, the U.K. with $1.1 million at 769 for a $64.5 million cume, and France with $1.1 million at 866 for a $51.8 million take.

Spider-Man earned $821.7 million worldwide and Spider-Man 2 took in $783.8 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back