• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The [Official] Spiderman 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Well I'm surprised this hasn't been started yet. Wonderful day for me, first I get all of my pending court cases thrown out, and afterwards I went and saw Spiderman 3.

Best. Fucking. Movie. Ever.

Well not really the best movie ever but still, easily the best of the series. It was so good I can't even believe it. I know my boy Prax will be hitting this thread up as soon as he's done seeing it (which is probably what he's doing right now) but everyone else should definately see it.

Awesome action, awesome story, awesome acting, awesome special effects, awesome drama, awesome everything. The ending actually had my girlfriend in tears. I got a few sniffles myself. Just such a good movie I can't even describe it. Topher Grace and James Franco continue to be acting gods and the future of acting combined.

The only complaint I have about the film is the fact that Venom isn't in the movie nearly as much as most fans will want, he doesn't really come in until more then halfway through.

But god, such a great movie. Hilarious, sad, action packed, just great. The villians are awesome as well.

I'd easily give it five our five stars. Best movie of the year. If the Academy won't recognize this one I don't know what they will.

So come on in and discuss once you've seen it!

***SPOILERSSSSSS****

I liked it, but it wasnt as good as 2. The thing about Venom is that I couldn't take him seriously, because he was Eric Foreman of all people. I wouldve enjoyed if Venom was in the movie for more than 20 minutes.
[/B]
If there is a 4th, I would like to see Lizard, Carnage and a return of Venom

You actually did see Venom for more than 20 minutes, the suit was just on Spider-Man for most of the movie, which is what I expected. I actually think Topher Grace played the role really well, and his lines were just TOO funny all movie long.

Badass jive-walking jazz Peter Parker was FRIGGIN AMAZING, I loved it!! I can't believe he did that for like 20 minutes of the movie, it was awesome, lol.

Best fight scene I've seen in years at the end of the movie, and the scene at the church was just epic, and I hope it will be remembered for years to come in movies, it was just fantastic.

I agree with Xfear, one of the best movies of the year, one of the best comic book movies ever. It was Epic, it was extremely well done and it was everything I expected.

The only thing that annoyed me, and it wasn't even in the movie, was that people were laughing like the hwole way through the movie at scenes that you weren't supposed to be laughing it...I'm guessing because it was a little cartoony. What do people expect? It's based on a freakin comic book... I don't get people sometimes.

Anyway, it was SICK, I can't wait for them to make more. Next movie I want to see them do Hydroman and bring back Sandman and do MUDMAD, that would be SICK.

The movie sucked.

No only joking. It wasn't as good as the first, but way better than the second. Venom wasn't in it long enough and that really sucked. A major let-down. I had my doubts about letting Topher Grace have the part because he never really seemed like that type of guy who could kick your ass. Nonetheless, his little lines in the middle of the fight scenes were priceless, such as the,

''Come on Tiger''

LMFAO. Pretty good movie and the Peter Parker dancing was outrageously funny. Sandman disappointed me at the end. It all seemed very childish so it gets four stars out of five from me.

Well what is interesting, and I'm going hardcore Comic book geek. Everything in this movie leads right into Maximum Carnage. So and so dies, and so and so dies, but the one is actually still alive somehow, gets thrown into a psych ward with Cletus Kassidy. The symbiote comes back to save so and so, leaves a chunk behind, and we have Carnage. Now I don't know if they could actually do a character like Carnage, because he pretty much kills people off as he walks.

They have been teasing the Lizard for a couple movies now too.

Well what is interesting, and I'm going hardcore Comic book geek. Everything in this movie leads right into Maximum Carnage. So and so dies, and so and so dies, but the one is actually still alive somehow, gets thrown into a psych ward with Cletus Kassidy. The symbiote comes back to save so and so, leaves a chunk behind, and we have Carnage. Now I don't know if they could actually do a character like Carnage, because he pretty much kills people off as he walks.

They have been teasing the Lizard for a couple movies now too.

Lizard makes sense though, Dr. Connor still has some left over symbiote.

oh , and I keep loving these cameos that Bruce Campbell makes haha

I'm still waiting frantically for them to do Scorpion. He was always a big Scorpion fan and I was disappointed when they said they were doing Doc Oc, because they're pretty much the same badguy. But they haven't exploited Jameson's hatres for Spider-Man enough yet, so I could see them doing that eventually, but maybe not the next movie.

But yeah, I don't see how you can be disappointed with the amount of Venom, I feel like that was pretty clear going into the movie. Peter Parker was supposed to have the suit for most of the movie. As for Ace's whole childish comment... it's based on a comic book, that's how it's supposed to be.

I didn't think it was great, but it was very, very good.

I think Venom was teased very well, as this story was told mainly to develop the Peter Parker-Eddie Brock feud. I kind of liked how Venom was utilized, because if he was overused, then it would not leave much room for him to be the man in Spider-Man 4. That's how each of these films has been, all about laying the framework for the next installment.

Fans went into the show to see Venom, but Sandman was THE man in this film. He was definitely better here than he ever was on the cartoon, and he and Spidey had some nice battles in the film.

The story was also very emotional. What saddened me the most was that this is probably the last time Tobey will don the spidey suit, because he really has become Spider-Man, and he definitely made me a believer in the first installment of the series. Adding the emotional aspect to the story will piss off a lot of fans, but in my opinion it added a little more depth to the story.

The special effects in this film were just crazy. The action moves so fast sometimes, it's hard to keep up. The creation of Sandman was the sickest shit I've seen in a long time.

Because of the Goblin, Sandman, and Venom being featured in the film, I feared that the movie would try too hard to outdo the first two, but by keeping the role of Venom limited in the film, it really made the story better. I was impressed at how balanced the story was, as a multitude of plots were combined and twisted together and made for one epic final showdown. Spidey in the black suit was f'n sick, in my opinion seeing that vicious side of Spidey made the film even better.

I don't really like comparing sequels to the previous installments, because it's a lose-lose situation, and it takes away from the quality of the new versions. But I think Spidey 3 was better than the first, but still not able to top the second. Pound for pound, Doctor Octopus is just a badass villain, dudes. He made the 2nd one what it was, in my opinion. But it was a great movie, it lived up to the hype, despite being more emotional than ever, it was still a damn good story. Now, let's begin the countdown for Dark Knight next year!!

Holy Shit, where do I begin with this movie. How the hell this movie is getting bad reviews is beyond me, I dare say, this was the best comic book movie I have ever seen. The critics have blasted it because of the story being rushed, it's a trilogy people, I have 4 hours of backstory. Then the next complaint was people crying every chance on screen, correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone watch Spiderman 2 and not see crying every five minutes in that movie, yet that movie is somehow untouchable.

I'll start this by saying, I really was disapointed with Spiderman 2. I am not a Doc Ock fan to begin with. I've always felt he was a boring character, just my opinion. I'm a Goblin/Symbiote fan myself, so this movie was perfect.

The New Goblin was done well. Being a fan of the comic, I knew the ending of this movie before going to see it. If you've read the books in the early 90's, you know the fate of young Harry Osborne and the sacrifice he ultimatly makes. I loved to see him go one on one versus Venom. What spidey fan doesn't want to see the Green Goblin take on Venom, and the end result is much to my thinking.

Sandman. I'm n ot a Sandman fan, but I get the character. The cgi was beyond amazing, and Church did a helluva job. I thought he was better then Doc Ock in every respect of the character.

And then we get to Venom. Holy Shitolla. Was that, or was that not, McFarlane Venom? That was perfectly done. That was what Venom is supposed to be, a pissy, evil son of a bitch. Not the anti-hero with a soft spot for the spider. The original venom is a Mary Jane tormenting, Brain eating bad ass, and we got that. The kicker, they set the ending wide open. No body equals sequel.

Overall, 10 out of 10. Perfect summer movie without a doubt. Venoms "Death' was exactly like his first one in the comic book. No body. This smells of a Maximum Carnage Spiderman 4, good god can I hope.

Good analysis Shockie.

I gotta say though I don't think they're going to do Carnage, at least not in 4. Maybe later on in the series but I have a feeling they're going to give Venom a rest in #4.

My guess is going to be the Lizard. The doctor has the symbiote sample and it would be the ultimate tease if they don't do the Lizard in the next movie. And for fans of the comic book (Shockie), we all know that with the Lizard comes Kraven.

What if JJ jameson hires Kraven to trap spider-man, and he discovers the lizard in the process? After all, they really haven't exploited Jameson's hatred for Spider-Man yet. (btw the scenes with Jameson were amazing in the movie). I could see him doing something like hiring Rhino or Scorpion in the first half of the fourth movie (Rhino would be easier I would imagine) and establish Kraven in the process to go after the lizard and final three way showdown.

Or I would imagine some combination of those elements, and Scorpion/Rhino would probably not happen if they do Kraven/Lizard. I'm just a complete mark for Scorpion and I find it a travesty that they didn't do him in the second movie, lol. But anyway....

Lizard seems like a given for the next movie, if you ask me.

Another cool idea would be to make Hydroman and have Sandman come in to help Spider-Man, only to be corrupted by Hydroman and then they form Mudman (I'm also a big mark for that like one issue where they did Mudman, hahaha).

Several sources have already confirmed there will indeed be a Spiderman 4 despite the storyline endings of most of the stories. The sources that I found that out is from Wikipedia.org and IBMD. Also Toby has said on several occasions that the rumor of him not doing a 4th spiderman is NOT TRUE.

Spiderman 3 was a amazing movie. I saw it today. They had so many stories. The way they ended them wasnt to my liking but I'm glad they are ended so we get all new content in Spiderman 4. I would love to see Carnage come in. I forgot the guy who was Carnage in the cartoon series but Venom can make a return as Brock and someone can play Carnage. Someone I would love to have debut is Lizard and Mysterio. They can bring in Lizard by having Dr. Connor testing the symbiote and etc. until a lab experiment goes wrong. I too don't know how in the blue hell this movie can get bad reviews. Yeah the storylines were rushed but they can try to end so many storylines in 5 movies. They need to rush to try and get us new storylines. Xmen 3 rushed the storyline with Gene imo but was still a good movie. Spiderman 3 is without a doubt the best movie this year. The storyline with Mary Jane and Peter Parker is what interested me the most and the way Toby and Keristin played there roles. Two of the best actors in one movie.

Sony has already said they are making spiderman 4-6, without or without the original cast or director. Honestly, why not. The movie made over 100 million on it's first day world wide.

I think alot of the people that didn't like Spiderman 3, X-3, and Revenge of the Sith, went in with way to much anticipation. They thought it was going to be balls to the wall, Venom, Dark Phoenix, and Darth Vader. When people actually have to sit and let a story develop when they are expecting these bad guys to rip ass, they get pissed and feel jibbed. Honestly, I still think having Venom in the movie was a bonus, I didn't think he would be in it until 4. I thought the Jean Grey storyline in X3 was handled very well. I think the best scene of that entire trilogy is the psychic battle with Xavier.

I'm definitely excited about Spidey 4-6, but I just wish Tobey Maguire would come back for one more. He's that good. He's not Michael Keaton as Batman, but he is damn good. There are so many places they could go with this franchise, they could probably go up to 10. How Spidey 3 got bad reviews is beyond me, too TNA smark. I think too many people saw the teaser trailers and just thought 'Venom, Venom, Venom', while the fans who actually know the story of Spider-Man know that Venom didn't just 'come out of nowhere', that it took time for him to develop, as Spidey battles with the symbiote suit for a while before Eddie Brock did. Venom was handled perfectly, in my opinion. He'll be even more bastardly in 4. Tobey please come back! Kiersten too!

Really good movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Awesome FX and some decent acting, to boot. :)

The Sandman is awesome! I really liked how they did the transition of Parker's character.

I haven't seen the movie yet but am definitely going to see it once I get the chance. I don't know whether it's out yet in Australia but it seems worth seeing. Critics have claimed that the movie is ruined by a muddle of over-the-top and tedious special effects, but I think most are out there for the action you get from the Spidey movies. These movies are the ones you know young kids will love, but also ones that not-so-hardcore comic movie fans will also enjoy. By the sounds of it, a lot of fans love the movie so really, who cares what critics think of it if you love the movie? Looking forward to seeing it and I'm more interested in this movie than the last, what with the whole emo-Spidey kind of thing.

Well ladies and gentlemen, the numbers are in, and Spider-Man 3 has grossed $148 million in North America breaking the previous record (Pirates 2). It also opened in the highest amount of theaters ever (because any theater that doesn't play it is stupid), and broke the IMAX record.

Worldwide it grossed a whopping $227 million, bringing it to a total $375 million IN IT'S FIRST WEEKEND, which is nearly half the TOTAL gross of Spider-Man 2.

It was apparently the most lopsided weekend movie victory in the history of the silver screen. (80% of the entire box-office).

The true test, however, is the weeks to come, to see if it can continue it's dominance.

Source: rottentomatoes.com

Those numbers are huge and will only get bigger as time goes on and the international audiences get the movie. Not surprising one bit to see it get those stats, considering how popular the series is. It makes the Condemned and the Marine look like crap with those numbers and judging by audience reception, it is an awesome flick. It's hard to believe it's already up to half of Spiderman 2, but I don't think that movie was as good as this one sounds anyway.

Well ladies and gentlemen, the numbers are in, and Spider-Man 3 has grossed $148 million in North America breaking the previous record (Pirates 2). It also opened in the highest amount of theaters ever (because any theater that doesn't play it is stupid), and broke the IMAX record.

Worldwide it grossed a whopping $227 million, bringing it to a total $375 million IN IT'S FIRST WEEKEND, which is nearly half the TOTAL gross of Spider-Man 2.

It was apparently the most lopsided weekend movie victory in the history of the silver screen. (80% of the entire box-office).

The true test, however, is the weeks to come, to see if it can continue it's dominance.

Source: rottentomatoes.com

Wow, that's pretty fuckin amazing. And they said the box office is dead? Spidey 3 has definitely set the standard for the rest of this year's highly anticipated flicks to match. Pirates 3, Harry Potter, Transformers, Shreck the Third, damn, these films definitely have some biiigg shoes to fill. I'm interested to see if the Pirates franchise reclaims that top spot, but I don't think it will. Spidey will continue to dominate, at least until Shreck comes out, but it had better watch out for The Condemned!

When I go to the theater to see the Spider-Man movies, I keep three very simple things in mind. There are the comic books, the animated series, and now the movie series. Therefore I'm never disappointed. Because each movie had its own little twist on Spider-Man (like the webbing, instead of being homemade its produced by his body.). Therefore, I am in no way shape or form upset with Venom in this movie. He was by far the most kick ass villain in a movie yet. He was tried and true to the Spider-Man series. Although, I will admit, on a comic book fan boy level, I wish he would have had the tongue, Venom's venom, and the double layer voice. Where it sounds like the symbiote and Eddie Brock are talking at the same time "We will kill Spider-Man." Those things aside, Venom, kicked major ass. And then end of him in the movie was simply awesome, no body. *jaw drops*

The New Goblin thing, I really didn't think would be all that great, but I dug it as soon as I saw it in full potential. (I had watched the "first seven minutes of Spider-Man, and it looked cool, but it was nothing compared to the ACTUAL beginning fight scene in the movie.) The one thing I really didn't understand is why Spidey was riding on the glider with Goblin... did anyone else find that weird... lol. Aside from that ity bity tiny complaint, simply awesome job on him.

The Sandman, wow... I don't know what else to say. Completely completely impressed with Church's performance, and they way they made you feel sorry for the guy. Beautiful job.

The entire movie in a nutshell... amazing. Critics can lick a butthole for all I care. You got to remember that a lot of the movies critics said were shit, are some of the highest grossing movies EVER. Titanic, you remember it broke box office records... although a total snooze fest for some people, others loved that movie. Spider-Man 3... needless to say, it has proved the critics wrong on opening day! Emo Peter Parker kicked ass, lol, I laughed my ass off the whole way through that segment, especially the Jazz club scene. And another question, did anyone else feel bad for Sandman, when he first emerged from the sand and he could grab the locket with his daughters picture? That gave me a little tear jerk. But, the best thing about it by far... was when Peter decked Mary Jane in the club, my friend Anthony busted out laughing (everyone else was kind of quiet like, wtf just happened) but Anthony burst out laughing and everyone was rolling... and some dude called Mary Jane a "****e" when she kissed Harry, and the whole theater laughed again. DAMN I loved that movie, LMAO.

11/10
Perfect. And then some.

I agree, Sandman really didn't mean any harm. I felt bad for the guy. But black Spider-Man still beat that ass! I don't really understand the negative reviews, people complaining about lack of character develoment. How much more character development did we really need? We already sat in the theatre for 2 plus hours. Sometimes people ask too much. The stories of Sandman and Venom were well-told, and the Goblin's backstory has been looming since the end of the original Spider-Man, so there was really no need to develop that. The critics who were hard on this film must think that this film in vying for an Oscar or something; it's a comic book action film, and that is all. Some people also complained that there was just too much going on in the film. The film managed to respectably carry out the multiple storylines it had going on. All of the villains are given their time to shine, including classic Spidey and black-and-white suit Spidey. So, I really don't understand that
either. Spidey 1 and 2 dealt with only one villain, so I don't really object to the creators mixing it up a little bit for the third installment. Spidey had to deal with worse situations than that in the comics and on the cartoon, so why not give him an even bigger problem in the film?

Hey critics are called that for a reason--they always find something to criticize. Modern day critics would probably blast a movie like Citizen Kane if it came out this week. Always looking for the perfect movie, when nothing can ever really be perfect.

I'm not too familiar with the comic book series and stories, but from the sounds of it I need to check them out. Never really a big comic book guy honestly, but where would you fanboys suggest I start? One of those big books with like the first three hundred comics? What?

Raimi sure as hell better make a fourth one, and it better be with Tobey and Kirsten. And Topher. I don't care what anyone says, Topher Grace is the future of acting, the guy is just the shit in every single role he has he always steals the show. And that was a damn hard thing to do here considering my other favorite young actor James Franco (Harry) was in this as well. Those two are going to win so many oscars when they get older it'll be ridiculious.

On a side note, was anyone else extremely turned on by Gwen Stacey? God DAYUM was she hot. I was thinking to myself "Come on Spidey, fuck Mary Jane, Gwen is much hotter bro!".

Oh yes, and Bruce Campbell is the absolute fuckin' shit and the biggest pimp of all time. Thank god Sam still cares about his Evil Dead fans. :D

It was cheesy, but he's done it in every movie. So they actually undershot the estimates. The Domestic actuals are 151.1 million and world wide it nailed in 381.7million, that's insane. Kirsten Dunst actually thinks that the Studio wouldn't make the next movie without the originals, ya, I'll give ya 381.7million reasons why they will make the 4th one. Hell, the original cast should probably ask for about 25 million a piece to do the next one. This Franchise is sick.

Xfear, how to properly get into the history of Spiderman?? The best thing I've found is the giant illustrated Spiderman Encyclopedia. It looks like a kids book, but it's got pretty good history and the main stories summarized of each of the main villians.

If you are looking for a Trade Paper Back, that gets tough.
Spiderman 1 was based on: The Death of Gwen Stacy. If you can find it, it's a must read.

Spiderman 2: a couple storylines, but the main one was Spiderman: No More, it was okay.

Spiderman 3: Secret Wars will explain the origin of the black costume, but the Original Eddie Brock as Venom storyline was in issue #300 of Amazing Spiderman, and good luck finding that cheap.

My personal favorite Spiderman storyline: Maximum Carnage. Find it, read it.

Well, I made the trek to Seattle and plucked down the moolah to watch Spider-Man's latest jaunt in IMAX. Good stuff. Although I can see Avi Arad's overbearing influence (hence the inclusion of Venom) I really thought the movie was a save. I look at it this way: Raimi was given specific instructions as to what had to be done this time around, but he still managed to pull a pretty good film out of it. After all, this could've been another Batman and Robin fiasco but Sam is a very competent director who can do a lot with a little (Evil Dead, anyone?).

FX? Good. Some of the CG work was okay and only equal to the first film (which is five years old), but given the utter complexity of the shots performed I feel they did a pretty solid job at making what I'd describe as the most limitless interpretation of a brought-to-life comic book that I've seen. Venom was done well and Sandman's key FX work was top notch. It was well done and I feel that it was about on par with Superman Returns and The Hulk.

Story? For what it's worth, I really wished that one of the villains was cut from the film and saved for later (specifically Sandman). I do feel that serious screen time was wasted on his family exposition and they could've used that to set up a deeper backstory for Eddie Brock's character with some greater depth. Cumulatively, the main beats of the story went off well and I will say that out of all the series this had my favorite line bar none: "I used to protect you in high school...now I'm gonna kick your little ass." Beautiful. Kudos, Harry. Kudos.

Characters? Seeing as their have been two films previously, I enjoyed that they didn't waste a lot of time retelling any of the key portions and information that hold the characters histories together. Sandman's change of pace was a pretty welcome one so that he was a more conflicted character that you didn't really want to see doing the bad things or getting hurt for doing them. The only problem is that they didn't have enough time to flesh out his character and give it the justice I feel it deserved. Hayden Church did a hell of a job in the ending scene and displayed worthy acting chops that, in my eyes, saved what could've been a complete cornball scene. Topher also had some shining moments (especially after his camera is broken). The rest of the regulars were on point as usual and it's obvious that they fit into these roles like a comfy pair of old sneakers. My one glaring complaint has to do with the utter stupidity and uselessness of having Pete run around dry-humping the air doing his worst Travolta. It had no purpose and it was very illogical to see Pete looking like a deluxe horses' ass in one scene, only to be a smooth talker who had two women (clerk from the bugle and the jazz club waitress) wanting to bob his knob. In order to validate the seriousness of Peter's change, the smart thing would've been to remove anything that compromised his dignity once he grabbed the black suit and his personality changed. This aspect of the film had me slap my forehead in disgust. I can't wait for the first fan edit that cuts this shit out.

Music? Ugh. This is the one glaring no-no I'll have to lambaste Raimi for. Christopher Young had no business doing this film. They should've plucked down whatever money it took and had Elfman return. Not that I think Danny is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but his ability to at least capture the mood of a scene well is obvious every time out. Not the same for Young. The worst cue in the film is easily the overbearing movement when Peter is dangling upside down from the building when he wakes up for the first time sporting the symbiote outfit. WAY too in your face. It shoud've been a more mysterious cue that was conveyed amazement, not a grandiose blaring of the horns. Young also doesn't create any memorable themes for my taste, so the film suffers from too many bogus made-for-TV-movie type of cues to convey drama when subtler ones or just plain silence would've worked best. It's blatantly apparent that he just tried too hard.

Overall, I'd give the film an 8/10 and I do think that for what it had to accomplish it did the job. I was fairly entertained throughout, however, I don't think...I KNOW it could've been better and honestly should've been if they'd have let Sam do what he originally wanted instead of shoehorning more villains into the picture so they could sell more damn toys. That's definitely a Jon Peters line of thinking and that mindset has pissed on some potentially amazing movies in the last decade or so.

Yea, xfear, the Spidey Encyclopedia will do wonders for you, or you could just peep his bio in the Marvel Universe on Marvel.com.

On a side note, since Kirsten Dunst seems not too interested in returning for the 4th Spidey, I think I recall in the comics Mary Jane went off to Florida for a while or something like that, maybe they could play that out in the next film, Kirsten could return in a later installment and 4 could focus more on Gwen Stacy. She was Petey Parker's main bun for a while in the original story. Anyhow MJ has worn out her welcome a little bit, at least to me. Anybody think that would be a good idea?

I have to agree, since there is really not a great chance that the originals will reprise their roles for a 4th, and, just like every other superhero franchise, three is usually pushing it (see Superman, X-Men: The Last Stand, although that wasn't too bad) and 4 is usually just too, too much (see Superman IV, Batman & Robin). But I think Spidey can stand another incarnation. I think 5 is actually too much, because Venom is in comic land Spidey's ultimate villain, so a showdown with him in Spidey 4 should really be the ending to this classic franchise, but just like every other endeavor, it's all about the money and unless 4 totally sucks ass, then we'll see another trilogy of Spidey flicks over the next ten, twelve years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back