The NHL's best Captain

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
The C is an honour to wear for any NHL players and for the 27 players who get to wear them, they have deserved them (Montreal and Toronto do not have captains, and Vancouver does, but he does not actually wear it).

You must be a leader on the ice and in the locker room in my opinion to be named as captain. There are a lot of young players who are captains (Toews, Ovechkin, Crosby) and senior members (Lidstrom, Weight, Niedermayer). Age shouldn't have much to do with the job, but it does weigh in on some issues.

When I started making this, I thought to myself, it has to be Lidstrom. He took over from Yzerman, won the cup as leader, and is one of the top defensemen still at his age. but then I thought, Detroit is at the middle of the conference on a team where the average age is close to 30. His team knows how to win, and don't really need him.

So I thought to myself, who is the captain? I won't pick Luongo, although he should be up there, but I like to be creative. I think I am picking Alfredsson as my top pick for captains in the NHL. He was recently injured, and his team was effected. When he came back, he immediately made an effect. When he was injured in the past the team was hurt. When he was hot, his team had one of the best records in hockey. He is my pick for best Captain.

Alexander Ovechkin. Even though he's only worn the "C" for a very short while, he's essentially been their unofficial captain since taking the NHL by storm. As Ovechkin goes, so go the Capitals.

I guess I should have elaborated a little more on my other post. Ovechkin leads by example. He scores and sets up goals at an absolutely torrid pace, while still bringing a tremendous physical component to his game. He's not afraid to get "down and dirty," sometimes too much so, but the passion he brings to his game can only motivate his teammates to do the same. He has singlehandedly brought the Capitals from a joke to the upper ECHELON of the league.

If only my Bruins were fortunate enough to have him!

Nicklas Lidstrom, in my opinion, is the best NHL captain right now. He had the difficult task of taking over from one of the best captains ever in Steve Yzerman and has done an amazing job. He was the first European born captain to win the Stanley Cup and has been a stall worth defence for the Red Wings his whole career. Getting the captaincy was a great move and he has done an amazing job on a team that is very skilled, but also pretty young.

Honourable mentions: Sidney Crosby and Scott Niedermayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back