• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The New Face of Smackdown

gd

Plump, Juicy User
Matt Hardy.That's right, you heard me. The chubby emo himself, Matt "Don't Call Me Jeff or Make Me Exercise Hardy" should be the top face on Smackdown. Why you ask? I'll tell you.

Matt's most recent face turn was one that made pretty much no sense at all. He went from wanting to kill is brother, like for real kill him, to taking his side after CM Punk accidentally jumped on him or something. Doesn't make any sense, I know, but after his disastorous cast wielding heel run, something had to be done.

With Jeff and Rey both gone, at least for know, Smackdown needs a top face, and that guy should be Matt. Mostly because there aren't any better options. The other "top" faces are currently:

Undertaker - Doesn't really do anything on Smackdown besides interfere in matches and attack CM Punk unprovoked. Also doubles as a chaffuer for Teddy Long. He may be legendary and all that, but he is working such a reduced schedule that he is more or less useless to the WWE unless it's Wrestlemania time.

Batista - Brought over to Smackdown to bring the star power, not a good move. As many of you know, Batista is widely considered shit. I'm not completely sold on that, but it's hard to argue. He hasn't had a good match for awhile and is injury proned pretty much all the time.

John Morrison - Ha, don't make me laugh. Because of Morrison's amazing abs and cool flippys he gets a ton of love, but I don't see it at all. He has had some great matches, but just doesn't have the total package to work as a main eventer.

Shad - He's not good at all, but if I didn't include a black guy, that'd be racist.

Matt Hardy - Very underrated in ring worker who has had some very good matches over the last year or two, even when he was facing Mark Henry. Now that Jeff is gone, this is the perfect time to putt Matt in the main event. The fans are desparate for a Hardy, and if they put Matt in the main event picture, the fans will accept him just as much as they accepted Jeff.

Plus, he's better on the mic than Jeff and isn't a crackhead. Supposedly the WWE is all about pushing new stars now, if they really wanted to have a new main eventer, Matt Hardy is their guy.

So, how much do you agree with me on this? If you don't, why not?

I've always thought Matt deserves a shot, no doubt he needs to lose some of that gut but to be fair he is coming back from an abdominal injury of some kind. Yeah, he's popular, doesnt have bad matches and can have very good ones. He's a Hardy and that name alone gives him a good shot, merchandise wise as well.

He's also got a good cause to be the top face, Punk retired his brother, thats a cause WWE fans can get behind. Yeah thats all I got, give the tubby Hardy a shot.

Hell yea man. I agree with you completely. I'm a big Matt fan and he definately deserves a shot. He actually should be in the main event already, after that edge-lita storyline in 2005. Idk what screwed that up... his cage match with edge was epic. Anyway, yes Matt deserves to be in the main event, more than his brother, IMO. How Jeff got a world title before him is beyond me... I mean Jeff's good, but Matt is just as good. On your other points, yes Batista is the SHITTIEST wrestler i've seen as of late, especially in his match with Jericho, can't even sell a right hand for god's sake... Morrison could do it too IMO, but Matt more. Taker is doing his own thing now... Shad... doesn't have a shot.. don't know y you even mentioned him, R-truth has more of a shot...

And, Matt is kind of fat... I don't get it tho, some weeks, to me, he looks fat and other times he doesn't... but like Hayes said, he did just have surgery, so hopefully he'll tighten himself back up a little bit.

Reactions: gd
I personally think Matt could be a good choice. He has potential to be sure and there is not much out there. Morrison is not a main eventer in my eyes. He can put on good matches but he is not over with the crowd. The only time I've really heard the crowd all the way behind him was the IC match. Anyways I could go on about him but back on topic. Matt just needs to trim down and work with Punk and he could do something.

Matt deserves a shot indeed. He's a solid ring worker and can cut a nice promo. Jeff is out now, so plug Matt in. The guy has been loyal and has taken a lot of crap in his career. Batista is injury prone. Undertaker comes and goes as he pleases and Morrison is being groomed in the time being.

I guess Im in the minority here but I cant stand this guy. Lets start with his look. It has already been stated that the guy has a little weight issue. couple that with the new "heel" tights and that nasty receding ponytail and youve got one hell of a TNA calibre talent. Next the ringwork. Ill admit that he gives effort bell to bell, but the moveset is just weak. That "high impact" second rope leg drop has never impressed me, nor has most of his "extreme I wish I was Jeff" arsenal. Finally the mic skills. Edge was right 9 years ago that Matt (and Jeffs) mic skills had actually gotten worse over the years when compared to the TWF home vids that the Hardys made years earlier. Someone please name a CURRENT WWE star with worse promo ability and I will eat my words.

Look I admire Matts devotion to the biz. he clearly has a mind for his craft and would be a great booker/writer some day, but he needs to move over for the younger more talented crop of mid-carders that SD has to offer.

There is a bit of me that agrees with RKO 18. Some guys just aren't meant to make it to the top, maybe Matt is one of those guys

Matt Hardy is a better heel than a face. His Version 1 promos was among the best at the time. I think Matt Hardy has main event potential but not a face, so as the new face of Smackdown! i am not so sure.

Obvious with WWE wanting to target the hispanic demographic Mysterio is the one who will most likely be the face of SD. Of course Undertaker is one to bring in ratings as well.

Yeah, I agree.

However, Matt will more than likely lose out to Batista and the Undertaker. You gave reasons as to why he shouldn't but you know for a fact that he will. Matt Hardy is not only underrated by us, he is underrated by his superiors and his peers. You know just as well as I do that Matt Hardy will probably never really crack the main event scene. He is a mid-carder and with his physical state in such disarray, he will get nowhere near the main event. It's a shame because I completely agree that he is vastly underrated and should get some attempt at the championship. Does this mean that he will? No, it just means that he should. I feel for him because he has had to live under Jeff's shadow and unjustly. However, there is a reason for that. The people don't like him as much and he doesn't entertain us half as much. No, I think Matt Hardy should get it but I doubt he ever will.

Lets start with his look. It has already been stated that the guy has a little weight issue

He needed surgery on his abdomen, it was pretty serious actually. Give him some time and he'll be back in shape.

couple that with the new "heel" tights

Wouldn't they be "face" tights, considering he's a face.

and that nasty receding ponytail

Undertaker's heairline is worse.

and youve got one hell of a TNA calibre talent.

TNA is better than WWE at the moment, just sayin'.

Next the ringwork. Ill admit that he gives effort bell to bell,

Something that you can't say about a lot of guys in the WWE.

but the moveset is just weak. That "high impact" second rope leg drop has never impressed me, nor has most of his "extreme I wish I was Jeff" arsenal.

Ya, that leg drop is rather stupid, but the Twist of Fate is pretty good finisher, better than the Starship Pain for sure.

Finally the mic skills. Edge was right 9 years ago that Matt (and Jeffs) mic skills had actually gotten worse over the years when compared to the TWF home vids that the Hardys made years earlier. Someone please name a CURRENT WWE star with worse promo ability and I will eat my words.

Batista is much worse than Hardy on the mic and he's a main eventer. Hell, Jeff's mic skills were terrible and he was a 3 time champion, so why not someone like Matt, whose mic skills aren't great, but solid.

Look I admire Matts devotion to the biz. he clearly has a mind for his craft and would be a great booker/writer some day, but he needs to move over for the younger more talented crop of mid-carders that SD has to offer.

Like who, boring ass Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison whose had like a million failed chances as a sinlges guy? Hardy is better and more deserving than any of them.

There is a bit of me that agrees with RKO 18. Some guys just aren't meant to make it to the top, maybe Matt is one of those guys

He at least deserves a shot, doesn't he?

Matt Hardy is a better heel than a face. His Version 1 promos was among the best at the time. I think Matt Hardy has main event potential but not a face, so as the new face of Smackdown! i am not so sure.

First of all, another turn for Matt would be extreme overkill at this point. He just had an illogical face turn, no reason to fix that with an illogical heel turn. Secondly, his last run as a heel sucked. What did he do besides be in some random multi man US Title matches? Thirdly, SD needs someone to challenge Punk, who is a heel. That person should probably be a face.

Yeah Matt hardy desverd a shot and I do agree he is vastily underated. But I dont think he should get his title shot just yet. I mean he should win couple of his matches and then be built up for a title shot.

I have to comment on whoever said Starship Pain is worse than the Twist of Fate. I have never heard such bullshit

I think Matt deserves a shot, I say put him in a nice long (3-4 month) feud with Punk and see if the crowd rallies behind him. If he lifts his game to where it needs to be and the crowd are behind Matt (and by this I mean his pops don't come only when he mentions his drug addled brother) then give him a run with the strap.

They have taken chances on guys who were less developed and poorer on the mic, and who had given a lot less to the company. Batista had done nothing for the WWE when he won the world title but they took a risk and like him or not...it payed off for them.

Give Matt a chance!

Just My Opinion

P.S. Seriously, the worst that can happen is this is filed with Mabel's King of the Ring win, The gobbeldy gooker and King Bookers accent, and really that file is already huge so what is one more name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back