• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

the most prestigious world championship

rnzrkorip

Pre-Show Stalwart
i am positive there has been a thread about this, but i missed it. so here we go. what is the most prestigious world championship out there right now? wwe, whc, ecw, tna, roh, nwa, iwgp? what makes the championship mean more than all the rest? your thoughts.....

That depends on what form of prestige we're talking about. If its importance in wrestling today than its a tie between the 2 world championships in the wwe (WWE and World Heavyweight Championships). If its history and legacy than its the NWA championship. Not only does it have some form of relationship with amlost every world title today but it also has been held by the greatest champions in wrestling history (Flair, Rhodes, Buddy Rodgers, The Funk Brothers, Sting, Vader, Styles, Jarrett, etc. )

I’m going to go with the WWE Title for its longevity and relevance in the World of Pro Wrestling / Sports Entertainment. The NWA Title may have been around longer, but it surely has dropped a few notches since it left Impact. The World Title is just too young to be considered as prestigious as the WWE Title, because the WWE itself has stated many times that the World Title is not the WCW Title. The only similarity would be the physical design. All others should not even be in this topic.

It's hard to say over all, but certainly currently, I'll break it down like this.

WWE Championship. On March 28th, 1998, Steve Austin won his first WWE championship. This is at a time where I could say that the WWE Title was at it's most valuable. Why you might ask? The Current WWE roster at the time had Steve Austin, the current champion, and the Undertaker, a former 2 time champion. That's it. No one else on that roster held the WWE championship. Sure, guys like Simmons and Vader were on the roster, but that belt wasn't one they had acquired.

In the 35 years that title existed up to that date, the belt only changed hands 38 times. That's pretty damn impressive, nearly a title reign a year. Fast forward now, just a little more then eleven years later, and the WWE title has changed a total of 90 times!. That's 52 title changes in 11 years, for nearly 5 title reigns a year. That's ridiculous, and does nothign but belittle the legacy of that title, and everything that came before it.

Oh, but let's not stop there. Let's take a look at the WWE owned WCW Championship, which was converted into the World Heavyweight Championship. The WCW Championship was owned by the WWE for a little less then one year. Booker T was the incoming WCW champion, and lost the title to Kurt Angle in July. That title switched hands, from July to December, six times. A world title switched hands, on average, more then once a month. That title later merged into the Undisupted championship, and was resurrected intot eh World Championship in the fall of 2002.

In less then seven years, the World Championship has switched hands, not including those six, 29 times. That again, is around 4 champions per year. That is terrible.

If you combine both the WWE, and WHC since Wrestlemania 14, their has been 87 world championship reigns in one company. 87 championship reigns, in 11 years, and that's not including the ECW championship (which has a status in limbo of being a world title).

In my opinion, the most prestigous title in the world currently, does not exist in the WWE.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. If the most prestigious Title in this industry is not in the WWE, what, may I ask is?? I’m sure you’re not going to say the NWA, TNA, ROH, or any other Organization's World Titles. There’s just no way to compare any other World Title to the WWE’s three. Even today’s ECW World Title is more “prestigious” than all non – WWE World Titles, except for TNA’s, in my opinion, of course.

Comparing number of Title reigns is obsolete, considering the time periods you’re comparing. Before the Monday Night Wars, the World Titles would rarely change hands either because of the number of shows a World Champ would show up on (rarely would you see a Champ on WWE Wrestling Challenge or WWE Superstars or WCW Saturday night) or the simple fact that there were a lot less Pay Per Views in a year back in the day. Today, stories last for a month, some two, some three, if that, compared to year long feuds of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Things just happen to move faster today than yesterday, but not as fast as tomorrow.

As the Iron Sheik once said, but will probably never say it again, “WWE Number 1!!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back