The moment you realized Hulk's ego outweighed his stardom

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
I remember as a kid thinking that Hulk should stop crying and go back to the locker room after getting eliminated in the inaugural Survivor Series in 1987. BUT, I realize he was still the MEGA STAR of the company at that point and he had to do a little sell for the heartbroken Hulkamaniacs. Hulk was the man for a long time and his ego trip was, in my opinion, sometimes warranted. If not warranted, then necessary to sell his larger than life persona.

But, the time he pulled this and it really seemed like it was his ego vs the world was Royal Rumble '92. When he pulled Justice out, it was not only a sore loser move, but you had that feeling that the crowd was not thrilled. They were totally behind Justice when he tossed him. Now, there was no way they could sell an exhausted Flair tossing a fresh Justice had Hogan walked away; but, at that moment, it was a feeling of "Yeah, no one cares anymore and you need to get lost." Proven by the "why is this the main event?" feeling during their WMVIII match.

This is just my opinion. When did you guys think his star was fading? His ORIGINAL star. I put this in old school section and I am referring to his WWF tenure only--and only up until he left for WCW in 93. Not his post-NWO return.

Hogan's ego did not outweigh his stardom at any time during the WWF Hulkamania run, at least in my opinion and I will tell you why I think this. It's because I believe that even though we have the so called "benefit" of seeing things behind the scenes these days with tell all DVDs and dirt sheets that give away the supposed secrets of the backstage happenings of wrestling, I more or less feel that Vince McMahon has always played us the wrestling fans to the very best of his abilities. People here assume that Hogan's star power always got him everything he wanted even in his prime and I will acquiesce and say that I am pretty sure Hulk Hogan power played when he had to do, I have little reason to doubt that...after all he is Hulk Hogan but whether we want to admit it or not he isn't the only big name in the world of celebrity that's exploited his name recognition and star power. In fact that's what the very nature of being in such a business is in the first place, don't let that fool you.

As far AS the Royal Rumble 1992 goes well bottom line is this Hogan was still over, maybe this wasn't the 80s anymore but Hogan for better or worse was still the face of the WWF and wrestling as a whole. But from the sound of your statement it seems as if you might be talking from the kayfabe point of view. To be honest though, despite how big a Hogan fan I remained throughout the early 90s and into today, I was kind of happy to see the WWF Title scene change for a while with Bret Hart taking the title in October of the year, it was an unexpected occurrence to be watching WWF Superstars and out of nowhere Mean Gene announces Bret as the new WWF Champion.

I would say that Hogan's star was starting to fade after his sabbatical following WrestleMania VIII, personally I think that the plan was for Hogan to come back to do one last marquee match (which as we know was his title match with Yokozuna at King Of The Ring '93). I will admit I thought the way Hogan got the title at WM IX was a little hasty and sloppy in the way of a storyline, I thought that could have been planned better because well Bret Hart got cheated out of the World title in the storyline and Hogan's impromptu victory wasn't something I was fond of. That's why I am not a fan of Money In The Bank cash-ins either but that's a story for another day.

But Hogan's star while I felt did fade after he lost to Yokozuna (which I thought was done well and done right considering that big time guys like Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund lost their titles under controversial circumstances too) it was a very well executed storyline and Yokozuna was more than just a transitional champion he was a very successfully booked one considering that the WWF was in a low point by comparison to the 80s. However the fading of his star was not that big to where it stopped him from getting a lucrative deal with WCW that lead to his eventual rebirth as Hollywood Hogan.

On a side note the only reason why I think the main event for WM VIII gets so reviled these days was the DQ ending and don't get me wrong that sucked and I even felt that when I was 10 years old and I saw it but also remember Vince was billing this as the "final time" Hogan would be in the ring (again we all know where that went).

I realized I no longer cared for Hogan was his tag team title match at WM9 against Money Inc. Ironically it was also the first time I realized his ego was large when he left that exact same event as WWF champion.

The truth is at the time it was a nice surprise and twist but truthfully I was not happy when I saw it happen and I couldn't wait for him to lose the title (personally I was hoping Bret Hart got that honor). Even as a kid I liked Yokozuna, thought he was really good and was very happy when I saw Hogan lose to Yoko and leave the WWF when he did. I still think it should have been Bret taking the title from Hogan but Yoko was a good champ and we got a fantastic feud with Bret vs. Lawler so it wasn't that big of a deal. It was a nice break and when he went to WCW somehow it felt fresh as it was in a new company and he was facing new wrestlers (besides I was a WCW fan as a kid as well).

In WCW when I really understood how big his ego is was when I realized that he was beating everyone at will, him and Savage beat 7 guys (with most of those guys monsters) by themselves for Christ sake, it was impossible for Hogan to lose and he only lost to BS circumstances (like Halloween Havoc '95). He brought star power to WCW, but the second he got there every person on that roster (outside of Savage and whoever Hogan was working with at the time) were like ghosts, Sting was the face of that company and even him, Luger, and The Road Warriors became irrelevant and quickly.

It was nice to see him in a different atmosphere but at the same time that feeling faded quick when you realized it was all about Hogan and no one else really mattered anymore.

I'm really not understanding your question. Hogan has been known for his ego for several years. At the same time a lot of fans would agree that he's the reason wrestling became popular on a global scale. Now in terms of his ego being at the fore, some folks consider his win at WM9 to be the key turning point. I was in junior high at the time and didn't know or have access to the behind the scenes news at that time. This could be hearsay, but I've been told that Hogan didn't want to put over Bret, or Vince didn't want to do another face vs. face WM main event, etc. Who really knows. But I don't think of his ego "outweighing" as you said or "overshadowing" his stardom. His attributes speaks for themselves, and you can't take away from all of that based on what may or may not be hearsay.

IMO it was warranted ego for the most part. He was a huge draw, arguably the biggest draw in history, but that was mostly marketing too it wasn't all just him being him as has been said. if Vince didn't hire him back and give him the title, if Vince didn't feed everyone else to the Hogan character for almost 6 full years there would not have been Hulkamania. Hogan provided the charisma, Vince provided the stage.

Sound familiar, Cena had the main focus for 6 straight years and now it's fading, the difference there though i do feel Cena will be fine with not being the focus all the time, Hogan stated he was not happy with not being the main focus, and the reason he left WWF each time.

Heinsight is 20/20 looking back now he showed signs of ego soon as he was out of the top spot and Randy Savage got a run, following WrestleMania 3
Everytime Savage was in the spotlight, Hogan had to be there and it wasn't just him, the commentry was more aimed at what Hogan was doing not what was happening as a team.
Then ofcourse Savage got jobbed when Hogan was ready to return fulltime. Sure he still had success but it was in upper midcard fueds. Soon as Hogan was leaving again Savage got the strap back at WrestleMania 8.

and what of WrestleMania 6, Warrior does the impossible but for several mins the camera is on Hogan leaving not on Warrior celebrating, and the match seemed to be about Hogan losing not Warrior winning.
I can understand and won't deny Hogan was a great face of the company and as a kid watching since 1983 he was attention getting, though i was still a Savage fan since day 1.

The day i realised "Fight for the right of everyman" cracks were begining to show was leading upto WrestleMania 8 and what followed.
the fact he decided to "hang" it up when he was no longer gonna be the main focus, "Why? you are still the people's champ." He easily could've stayed around and been a huge draw without needing to be the champion and was evident when he returned again at the end of WCW but no. If he had of retired and not gone to WCW and then returned to WWF or WWE later that would've been different.

WrestleMania 9 was just the nail in the coffin, comes back for the sole reason of getting the title off Bret/Yokozuna only to lose it months later then quit again.

Heinsight is 20/20 looking back now he showed signs of ego soon as he was out of the top spot and Randy Savage got a run, following WrestleMania 3

I am sure there was a professional envy that was probably bordering on the fine line of jealously with Hogan losing the strap and then Vince pushing Savage to win it. Personally speaking, I liked Macho Man's run as champion and it was a breath of fresh air, personally speaking though it's of my opinion that this is what Vince was planning all along, Vince was trying to cross promote Hogan into the movie world and while Hogan had a few movie theater releases, the real profit and success lied with Hogan being in the ring and vying for or defending the World Title.

Everytime Savage was in the spotlight, Hogan had to be there and it wasn't just him, the commentry was more aimed at what Hogan was doing not what was happening as a team.

I have to cite that being with what Vince wanted, I mean I can't see Hogan just having that much pull to the point where the commentators were given a script that had to be Hogan approved and that I can't see being anywhere near the case.

Then ofcourse Savage got jobbed when Hogan was ready to return fulltime. Sure he still had success but it was in upper midcard fueds. Soon as Hogan was leaving again Savage got the strap back at WrestleMania 8.

You mentioned hindsight, well I can definitely apply hindsight to this scenario you speak of with Hogan getting the title back upon finishing his filming of No Holds Barred, yeah I liked Macho Man just as much as Hulk Hogan and would have been satisfied to be honest with you in regards to Savage retaining at Mania but there was no way that was going to happen. No Holds Barred was ready to come out and Hogan's character (which was essentially Hogan playing Hogan with a fancy new name) was the champion in that movie. So I would venture to guess that Vince wanted this to happen all along, I think it makes sense. As far as Hogan's departure after WrestleMania VIII, as I mentioned in my previous post I've a good feeling Hogan wanted to take a break and that just allowed Vince to experiment with the title picture before bringing Hogan back to do one final title run where Hogan would lose the title in a vein similar to Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund before him, just watch those matches I speak of and you will see what I mean. (Because obviously the first attempt with the Ultimate Warrior didn't seem to pan out, more on that in my next reply to your quote)

and what of WrestleMania 6, Warrior does the impossible but for several mins the camera is on Hogan leaving not on Warrior celebrating, and the match seemed to be about Hogan losing not Warrior winning.

It was a battle between two heroic characters, whose personas in the ring heavily clashed before and during the match. No one up to that point in Hogan's 1983 WWF return had beaten The Hulkster fairly, they were pretty much maximizing this moment by playing focus on someone who for over half a decade at that time was the centerpiece of the WWF, I think their focus on Hogan only made sense. Unless you can prove to be that Hogan TOLD the cameraman to keep all eyes on him as he left the arena I am going to have to vehemently disagree with your rationale. I mean your statement is implying that Hogan's ego is so grand that he was running the presentation and production of the WWF's events? C'mon now.

I can understand and won't deny Hogan was a great face of the company and as a kid watching since 1983 he was attention getting, though i was still a Savage fan since day 1.

And I can't argue or disagree for your preference for the Macho Man, in all truth it was nice to see some change in the atmosphere of the WWF. But like Ric Flair in the JCP/WCW, no matter what happened with the championship for the time both of these men were the face of their respective promotions they would never be too far from that title. And for the time business was being ran it was obviously the best way that the promoters knew to go.

The day i realised "Fight for the right of everyman" cracks were begining to show was leading upto WrestleMania 8 and what followed.

Terry Bollea is playing a character called Hulk Hogan, I've met the guy and I personally found him to be an awesome person to talk to but that doesn't mean he's everything his character was on screen, that's an unrealistic expectation to have of anyone especially athletes/entertainers. Were you expecting this guy to be a saint, as a kid I could see this rationale but once one is out of that stage it should be obvious that the persona and the person that portrays said persona very rarely if ever matchup.

the fact he decided to "hang" it up when he was no longer gonna be the main focus, "Why? you are still the people's champ." He easily could've stayed around and been a huge draw without needing to be the champion and was evident when he returned again at the end of WCW but no. If he had of retired and not gone to WCW and then returned to WWF or WWE later that would've been different.

Hogan made a business decision for himself, would I have liked to see him stay in WWF after losing his fifth WWF World Title to Yokozuna? You damn bet but let's not think of the WWF as being some charity organization because they are not, they are a business and in my opinion if you are a star on the level of individuals like Hulk Hogan and The Rock if there are other options to explore then what is the crime in taking them? Sure we can criticize Hogan for leaving the WWF but look at it this way he left the WWF losing to a monster heel like Yokozuna and he did not bring the WWF Title with him. From my understanding he fulfilled a contractual obligation and then WCW came around and offered him a deal, one supposedly that Ric Flair helped broker. Hell even Randy Savage did the same thing by going to WCW because he was supposedly not happy that Vince did not want him wrestling full time anymore. I think Macho Man was deserving of that same option like Hogan had and Savage took it, if you are going to persecute Hogan then I'd like to see how you would justify Savage's jumping ship to WCW.

WrestleMania 9 was just the nail in the coffin, comes back for the sole reason of getting the title off Bret/Yokozuna only to lose it months later then quit again.

From everything that's been said and again I don't know for sure BUT to the best of my knowledge Hogan's contract was ending like I had alluded to in a previous paragraph so to just say he "quit" is a little presumptuous. Again, last I heard Vince McMahon was the guy who owned the WWF and it's his call to put who he wants at the forefront of his company and considering that Hogan was on his way out of the company I am not sure how much pull he'd actually have in telling Vince what to do, I'm sure like I've said before Hogan's power played, all the big stars (whether you're in movies, sports, TV, wrestling and so on) have done it, but in the summer of 1993, I would venture to guess that Hogan's ability to power play was significantly down compared to what it was in the 80s and earlier 90s.

And look at it this way too, in the storylines this is how things panned out which at the end of the day worked out for the principle parties that were staying in the WWF while Hogan was departing:

1) Yokozuna avenged his rather shoddy title loss against Hogan (again even a staunch Hogan fan like me will tell you that the 25 second impromptu title win blew ass) by beating him at King Of The Ring for the title, granted it was a controversial match in the way that Hogan lost because it wasn't a fair and square title loss but look at it like this, Hogan's the face, Yoko's the heel that's usually how most of those matches end, anyway. Bruno Sammartino lost to Superstar Billy Graham because the Superstar had his foot on the ropes and Bob Backlund's title loss to the Iron Sheik protected Backlund's character in one of the greatest ways ever, someone threw in the towel for him he never even gave up. Granted a similar case would happen with the crooked referee angle with Hogan losing to Andre and having his shoulder up during the pinfall. And do remember most times during outside interference the great Hulk Hogan's ability to Hulk-Up would usually save his ass but in this instance against Yokozuna it didn't and he even got Banzai Dropped for good measure after losing to Yokozuna Who mind you used the leg drop, Hogan's own move, to pin him. Granted, Yoko used the leg drop as a signature move from time to time anyway but still beating the top baby face of the promotion with a move usually associated with him is a pretty big kudos to be given in character development.

2) Then let's discuss Bret Hart's title loss, Bret was screwed out of the title because of Mr. Fuji, in the story lines Hogan went to check on his kayfabe ally and of course in kayfabe Hogan still wanted that title shot like he had said in a prior promo but he was also looking over on Bret to make sure he was ok, in the confines of kayfabe (never mind those entertaining but often misleading shoot interviews - what I like to call more subtle kayfabe) Bret was all about it, he gave his blessing to Hogan. Granted, Bret and Hogan never materialized but as soon as Hogan lost that title to Yokozuna, Yoko had a title reign not seen in a WWF heel since Superstar Graham. Defending the title for over 9 months and then losing the strap back to the man he beat it for at WrestleMania X. Funny how that works, Bret Hart wins back the title from the guy he lost it to and avenges his loss from the previous WrestleMania, granted it would have been nice to see Bret have a chance to beat Hogan for the belt but I am not sure if Vince was willing to do another face vs face World Title match considering how Warrior and Hogan turned out. And at the same time it's possible that Hogan also did not want to turn either of them heel. Again all is well that ended well, a bigger issue would have been if Hogan beat Bret for the title lost to Yokozuna without Bret ever being able to avenge his loss against the Hulkster, but that did not happen, Bret got his redemption against the guy that beat him, I would say that worked out splendidly then.

Personally speaking, while I think Hogan should have won the title under different circumstances I think the way his loss to Yokozuna and everything that came after was done very well. And let's be honest if there really was a total sense of power play and ego here, Hogan would have won that title in the most dramatic way possible with so many insurmountable odds but he didn't. In fact his 25 second title win from Yokozuna actually made his character look a lot weaker compared to his other reigns as champion but considering that he was Hulk Hogan he still had the support of the fans, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise in the dirt sheet and reality era craze of wrestling.

And yes in WCW I am sure that were situations with power playing too, however think of the level of ego there with other huge stars and realize that it's not just Hogan all the time, granted I am sure I'd probably be frustrated being in the company of many of these big time stars if I was in the business but I think we all just have to accept that with big paychecks usually comes great irresponsibilities in regards to ego as well and that's a crime that Hogan is not guilty of alone.

You have to bear in mind, that for all Hogan's stories of Matsuda breaking his leg and early career, he was ALWAYS treated as something special by promoters and he always knew "the right people". Hogan knew very early in his career he was going to not only "be someone" but probably dominate for a spell wherever he went, because with the exception of Andre, he was the first true "phenom" to hit wrestling.

Hogan's ego was in play from the beginning, why else would he have the balls to tell Vince Sr. that I am going to do the movie you are "forbidding me" from doing (Rocky III). Cos he knew that Vince Jr. and what he was planning, and his ego took the Dick Jones approach "He's a sweet old man, and he means well..."

Hogan's ego is apparent even in Rocky III... sure its a role but at the same time, there are trademark Hoganisms all the way through it... how certain moves are slo-moed to make him look more awesome etc... He certainly had Sly's ear on how to make him look good and lets face it, everyone who saw that movie when it came out knew he was Hulk Hogan, even though he is called Thunderlips (the only sop he made to Vince Sr...changing the characters name)

In terms of WWE the moment for me was that he had to be involved in the WM4 final, where Savage won the belt... Savage won cos of Hogan's interference... He couldn't let Savage have his moment to himself... he had to be part of it... now the Mega Powers was a logical story, but it could have still worked had Savage won the belt single handed and been beaten down after the win... all Hogan did was say "this is yours cos I say it is". But lets face it, the moment he had Ice Cream bars, a Cartoon and A-Team guest slots the ego was going to get bigger and bigger every moment till he was chopped down, which he never was.

WM8 gets a bum rap cos in reality, Papa Shango fucked up his run in... Had it gone as planned, Sid would never have had to kick out of the leg drop... Hogan could have gone into business for himself after that but didn't...

As for WM9, it was clearly a vanity title win to get it in that manner, for everyone who bought Bret's "go for it" as many saw it as "get out of my way you idiot". But ultimately Hogan did the job to Yoko, and pretty decisively too so he did his part...

Probably the day he showed up in TNA and decided he should be the focal point of the Company. Being on Camera every 5 minutes,having Matches,and taking time away from those guys who had been there longer.

I prefer to remember his Days in WWF/E & WCW when Hogan was the Face of the Business. Since then in 2010-2011 its just been sad to watch at times.

Agree with THTRobtaylor. For me it was WM4 as well, when Randy Savage's win had to be tainted by Hogan's interference. Even at 13 years old, I realized that HH's interference was a shameless pander for the spotlight. Admittedly, I wasn't a Hulkamaniac to begin with - Savage and Piper were my favorites, along with anyone else wrestling Hogan. I lost my voice as a kid cheering Bad News Brown (RIP) over Hulk at the Norfolk Scope.

HH has probably always had an ego we just didnt see it when we were big fans of his. i saw HH ego when (dont bag me out about this) but when he first came to tna and said at that big thing they did saying tna will become the biggest company ever and thought they could beat raw in the ratings i think it was all HH and eric B idea EGO

I'm sorry, but I jhate threads like this. I am going to guess that you haven't really met Terry - the person, not the character Hulk Hogan - because those are different entities. Do you really think the man's ego is running wild when he is going through the shit he is going through right now? All threads like this do is highlight the marks. To me, there is obviously some truth in the perception of Hogan's 'control' in the wrestling industry over the decades and yeah, he was one of the biggest stars in the world, so he will have an ego, thats just natural. But, above all else, you are buying into a character. No different to people believing that Nash only cares about money - does he want money? hell yeah! does he like money? Of course, who doesn't! But it has become part of a character and becomes to easy for marks to latch onto.
Hogan didn;t just get to where he did through ego. Sometimes, it seems that respect for your elders means nothing - this guy was just as responsible as McMahon for making wrestling what it became. Without Hogan, WM1 doesn't work and wrestling wouldnt be the industry we all enjoy today

You have to bear in mind, that for all Hogan's stories of Matsuda breaking his leg and early career, he was ALWAYS treated as something special by promoters and he always knew "the right people". Hogan knew very early in his career he was going to not only "be someone" but probably dominate for a spell wherever he went, because with the exception of Andre, he was the first true "phenom" to hit wrestling.

To be honest, I don't know how true that story is about Hulk Hogan's like being broken by Matsuda, I think that could be the biggest tall tale of them all that he usually gives out to folks that want to listen. That's not to knock on Hogan, again I give a free pass to wrestlers who tell stories because even if they are not playing the kayfabe card on the surface, my gut always tells me to never stop thinking of the possibility that even in a "reality based" setting that we could still be getting worked. I think that holds especially for true in the case of individuals like Hogan especially in the era that he came up in. However, the broken leg story could be true considering how seriously the art form was taken back then and how the greats of the business would defend it, so the Hogan leg break could have happened but at the same time, it could definitely be a tall tale. But even if Hogan's lying I could care less, it' an entertaining story and I watched wrestling and listened to guys like Hogan and Savage tell crazy stories and rant and rave because I want to be entertained, whether what these wrestlers say all the time is truth or hyperbole who gives a shit? I am not watching these guys for stock tips, auto repair guidance or how to install drywall in my house.

But you are right with Hogan on certain levels, I am sure to some degree he must have had a taste of what things were like and that he did have something unique to offer wrestling, but I am not sure he could conceive of all of this until he actually did get that Rocky III part, which I will continue my point on in the next paragraph.

Hogan's ego was in play from the beginning, why else would he have the balls to tell Vince Sr. that I am going to do the movie you are "forbidding me" from doing (Rocky III). Cos he knew that Vince Jr. and what he was planning, and his ego took the Dick Jones approach "He's a sweet old man, and he means well..."

So let me ask you this, say you were actually Hulk Hogan...put yourself in his shoes for just one moment and if the stories are true you have legends in the business like The Briscoes and Terry Funk telling you that you have potential to be something in the business what do you do when big name A-List movie stars like Sylvester Stallone tell you "Hey, we'd love to have you be a part of our new movie!" you're telling me you wouldn't do the same thing Hogan did? Yes it's a move with ego involved but c'mon since when was professional wrestling ever known for being a humanitarian endeavor. Last I heard places like WWF, WCW, AWA and any other wrestling organization I ever followed as a kid never had the words "Non-Profit Organization" attached to it in any way.

From what we are told as fans, back then there were no guarantees in the way of what you made for money and it was a job in which you had to fend for yourself. Couple that with the fact that athletics/entertainment are fueled by ego and you have the likely reason why Hogan's ego made him have the balls to tell Vince he's going to go do Rocky III.

Interestingly enough for all the grief Verne Gagne got for being too stuck in his old school ways, he still gave Hogan (a wrestler not his type due to Hogan's brawling base and lack of amateur wrestling background) a chance to hone his skills in the ring and even develop the Hulkamania persona in the AWA. And from what I know it was the Rocky III movie that motivated Verne to sign Hogan and from there we got the ball rolling for one of wrestling's biggest moments ever, so say all the backstage stories are true about Hogan and Vince, Sr.'s tiff over were true and Hogan decided to just be a "good little soldier", one of the greatest movements in wrestling could arguably have been greatly delayed. I am not going to go all the way and say things wouldn't have gotten huge with wrestling because they would have, I feel, even if it wasn't with Hogan or if Hogan was in a different role but let's all be honest Hogan flourished with being the standard bearer of the wrestling world for years and years, whether he was the champion or not. And if that resulted from him looking out for himself first and foremost so be it.

Hogan's ego is apparent even in Rocky III... sure its a role but at the same time, there are trademark Hoganisms all the way through it... how certain moves are slo-moed to make him look more awesome etc... He certainly had Sly's ear on how to make him look good and lets face it, everyone who saw that movie when it came out knew he was Hulk Hogan, even though he is called Thunderlips (the only sop he made to Vince Sr...changing the characters name)

And there's a problem with that?

In terms of WWE the moment for me was that he had to be involved in the WM4 final, where Savage won the belt... Savage won cos of Hogan's interference... He couldn't let Savage have his moment to himself... he had to be part of it... now the Mega Powers was a logical story, but it could have still worked had Savage won the belt single handed and been beaten down after the win... all Hogan did was say "this is yours cos I say it is".

In regards to Savage winning the World Title singlehandedly, I hate to say this as a Macho Man fan but there was NO WAY that was going to happen. And it's a simple reason too, Hogan and Andre was still the main storyline of the WWF at that time and there was no way that was going to be promoted any differently, I mean hell look at all the promotional materials for WrestleMania IV, granted there were references to the tournament but take a look at the images for the poster and program I am about to show you, instead of a collage of all the tournament participants we instead get Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant's likenesses.

600full-wrestlemania-iv-poster.jpg

WrestleManiaIV.jpg

So yeah, I am not saying I disagree about Savage having that moment to himself but hell Ted DiBiase maybe should have too because he had Andre in his corner throughout the whole tournament. I put it like this man, even though I agree with you on a personal level about Savage not getting his spotlight, I can't agree with you on this being Hogan's total responsibility and fault. It was obvious that the WWF wanted to still build this WrestleMania on the same momentum that Hogan and Andre had going into WrestleMania III and therefore there had to be a way to get Hogan and Andre involved somehow even if neither was walking out of the event as champion and this was the way they did it, based on that, I find it hard to want to blame Hulk Hogan (at least solely, he might have been whispering in Vince's ear but if that was the case, what would that say about Vince's decision making) for Savage's title win not being celebrated by him alone. "It's your's cause I say it is"....yeah I don't agree with that at all, I think you're oversimplifying things just a bit too much and when you are doing that with just opinion and not fact that's a ridiculous way to rationalize something.

But lets face it, the moment he had Ice Cream bars, a Cartoon and A-Team guest slots the ego was going to get bigger and bigger every moment till he was chopped down, which he never was.

That's because people bought into the Hulkamania craze for better or worse, I will admit I was one of those many that did (or least my parents did at that time, since I was a kid) even when Hogan wasn't the champion in his 1983-1993 WWF run, the fans still were behind him, that did not change, it had to take his leaving the WWF and going to WCW for the WWF title scene to truly change. But had the Ultimate Warrior actually worked out as a long term champion like it was planned then things might have been different but if you want people to actually blame for this then I guess it should be people like me and millions of others that were Hogan fans for years and years. Because it was obvious us as a whole still wanted him in the spotlight and guys like Warrior probably did not have the same willingness to do what it would take to maintain the success that he had. Unlike Hogan who has shown how he could excel in handling the success given to him in the business, which arguably warrants why Vince always came back to putting him over as the champion time and again until he departed in 1993.

WM8 gets a bum rap cos in reality, Papa Shango fucked up his run in... Had it gone as planned, Sid would never have had to kick out of the leg drop... Hogan could have gone into business for himself after that but didn't...

I can't find much to say about this, I have heard similar stories, either way I still thought it was a lame WM ending, period.

As for WM9, it was clearly a vanity title win to get it in that manner, for everyone who bought Bret's "go for it" as many saw it as "get out of my way you idiot".

Yeah, would you be saying that right now if we were still in the internet stone age? I highly doubt it and I was never following dirt sheets at the time since I knew nothing of them like MOST fans and therefore never had the inclination to subscribe to one and get all the "inside stuff" on the wrestling world.

I can't take your rationalization of this statement seriously considering that you have years and years of internet dirt sheet speculation to base as your argument. Because bottom line neither of us really know the story. We're just going off of what we "read and hear", not what we actually know.

Like I said in my last post, Hogan's fifth WWF title win actually made him look like the weakest of the three in this bizarre title exchange amongst Bret, himself and Yokozuna.

Again, the WWF decided to go with this and people never stop to think that the organization at the end of the day should be the one held accountable for what happens on the air. And like I maintain if Ego-Mania wanted to run as wild as it did, you would probably have seen the WrestleMania title match change for the second year in a row like it did at WrestleMania VIII and Hogan could have found himself in the title match immediately upon his return from his sabbatical. Instead the WWF decided to swerve the fans and have Hogan get involved after the match and again this scenario made Hogan look like the weakest and not the strongest. Just my opinion, but think about it for a second when you think about the history of Hogan's dominance at that time.

But ultimately Hogan did the job to Yoko, and pretty decisively too so he did his part...

Exactly and Yoko's win was validated even more because he beat an opponent who got "lucky" the last time, yes while Yoko's victory was tainted (but he was a heel so that's ok since that's what heels do)...Hogan's greatest weapon the Hulk-Up failed and essentially that proved that Yokozuna was even more frightening and monster-like than people already thought. And the fall out of WrestleMania IX's ending (as shitty as people claim it is these days) is the reason why I think Yokozuna's win at King Of The Ring worked so well.

Again, personally speaking there could have and should have been another way for Hogan to have the title before hand but again people still talk about WM IX to this day so from a standpoint outside of my own bias, Vince McMahon obviously thought this was the best way to go and who am I to argue? For all the fault I find with his product sometimes, I can't deny Vince and WWE's ability to tell a story and put on a show. After all Vince makes money hand over fist (even in the reviled "PG era" that people bitch about) in a high rise office building of a conglomerate while I'm sitting on my tired ass on a Saturday afternoon debating with fans about second hand accounts and wrestling urban legends.

either have to be his run for the presidency or his face turn after the self destruction of the WWF's NWO.. the fact that he was taKING AWAY main event time from WCW's champion and upper tier to promote a bogus run for the presidency showed a complete lack of respect for his host company and its entire roster. it was a spectacle that served no purpose in wrestling or for wrestling. and once the last reincarnation of the WWF collapsed Hogan should had maintained his heel character instead of caving into his old habit of trying to recreate Hulkamania every time he saw the opportunity to turn face. in 2002 the WWF had no business trying to let an '80s star relive his glory. blatant disregard for the youth of the then - WWF roster..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back