• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Legacy of the 'Incredible, Immortal' Hulk Hogan

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
I ask this question because of the many different facets of Hogan's career. Hogan's the most well-known wrestler that's ever lived due to his exposure to pop culture during his hey day. He had his own cartoon, his own brand, and was the face of the WWF/E for almost a decade.

He then goes on to WCW and puts them on the map with Hulkamania still running wild, then transforming to Hollywood Hogan as a member of the NWO.

After another brief run in the WWE, he's now in TNA and is still a prominent figure in the IMPACT Wrestling program.

He's also had his own reality show 'Hogan Knows Best', and a lot of personal information about Hogan's been made public and has influenced his role in pro wrestling as more of a figure head than a legendary wrestler.

Many remember Hogan as the iconic figure who said his prayers, took his vitamins, and ran wild over anyone and everyone. Some know him as an older hack that can't seem to let go of his legacy and refuses to believe he's ever wrong. Some even say his 'creative control' had a vast influence on the downfall of WCW, as well as the current staleness of TNA.

So here's the questions posed before you?

1) Despite all the nutty things that's happened to the Hulkster, is his legacy as a pro wrestler still intact?

2) Does his backstage issues make his legacy any better or worse?

3) Should Hogan have ANY role in professional wrestling on any level?

1. No.

2. Worse.

3. Without any question whatsoever, YES.

Hogan was bigger than the sport of professional wrestling and still is for the most part. People forget how big of a deal he was in the 80s. Remember Rock hosing Wrestlemania in 2000? Hogan did it in 1985. Remember Austin being on the cover of Sports Illustrated? That's because it didn't happen. HHH's Saturday morning cartoon show doesn't exist. Hogan's ran for two seasons. Wrestlemania exists because of Hulk Hogan. Survivor Series started so we could have a way to see Hogan vs. Andre again. Hogan vs. Andre II drew THIRTY MILLION VIEWERS live on NBC on a Friday night. WWE is ecstatic today to get five million people on a Monday night show they run every week.

Hogan then went to WCW and led them to a point where WWF was dead to rites just three and a half years later. He came to TNA and was the main reason for their highest rated episode of Impact ever.

In summation, Hogan has done more for wrestling than anyone. "You're wrong! It was Austin!" Without Hogan, there's no Raw for Austin to be on and possibly no WWF for Austin to run wild in. Hogan did do a lot of bad stuff in WCW, but the positives he's done far outweigh whatever else he did later.

1) Despite all the nutty things that's happened to the Hulkster, is his legacy as a pro wrestler still intact?

Definitely. He's still the greatest professional wrestler who ever lived, bar none. There's certainly some people that associate Hulk Hogan with his messy divorce, his latest scandal, and his son's issues and whatnot, but I don't think that's the mass perception of Hogan. His legacy isn't what it used to be -- ten years ago, Hogan didn't have all these personal issues that were muddying up the public's perception of him -- but that doesn't mean he still isn't a revered professional wrestler. You can't take Hulkamania away from him, just like you can't take away his slam on Andre at WrestleMania III, or his iconic heel turn upon joining the nWo; Hogan's legacy is very much alive, but it might not be as vibrant as it once was.

A little worse, but I don't think it's any huge detriment to his legacy. Stone Cold Steve Austin took his ball and went home, Shawn Michaels lost his smile and both of those guys are still looked at as living legends. I don't see Hulk Hogan as being any different than they are. He's THE quintessential professional wrestler; Hulk Hogan is professional wrestling's Babe Ruth -- his backstage issues make up a very small portion of his legacy, just as they should. Wrestling fans like to hold a grudge, but they should appreciate all the good Hogan did for professional wrestling. The guy was a trail blazer.

Without a shadow of a doubt. To this day, Hogan is a massive draw in professional wrestling and is still ridiculously over. Not to mention, his current role in TNA is excellent. I don't know the exact extent of his backstage influence -- I mean, he clearly has some pull, considering he's probably the only reason his daughter has a job with TNA -- but as an on-screen character, Hogan does his part as GM and is generally only a positive for TNA (I figure that he's probably someone wrestlers can come to and ask for some advice, with all he's done in wrestling). Hogan is one of maybe 5 guys in the wrestling business who can transcend pro wrestling and honestly say that they are pop culture icons -- he should have a role in professional wrestling for as long as he wants.

1. His legacy as a pro wrestler is alive and well. It's not as huge as it used to be because, well, the guy's been pretty much done with wrestling for almost a decade now. Yet still people want to see him and enjoy him. I exclude most of the IWC out of that group because their/our perception of a wrestler is so skewed it's ridiculious. The fact that a lot of IWC monkeys will prefer Kevin Steen over Hulk Hogan speaks volumes.

2. I'm sure his personal issues did not help. Sex tapes, divorces, his son's whole problem. Not good. Then again, none of it was really under Hulk's control. Divorces happen every single day. They are messy and it gets ugly. The only difference between Hogan's and all the rest is that he's a gigantic celebrity and the media followed its development and put their framing and twist on it.

The sex tape "scandal" is too unclear. It's likely Hogan didn't know he was being taped banging his best friend's wife. Again, nobody in here is a saint as well as out there. People fuck whoever they want to fuck on a daily basis. Again, Hogan got filmed doing it, he's a celebrity, it's out in the open. Celebrity sex tapes are no new thing nowadays anyway so if it's blown out of proportion it's because of the media and us. Dude got laid. Big fucking deal.

Nick Hogan's whole deal? Nick's fuck up rubs off on Hulk. That's all it really is.

Now as far as the creepy stuff with him tweeting sexy pictures of brooke and oiling up her ass, yeah, that's kind of weird.

None of this, however, is a career ruiner. This isn't Jerry Lee Lewis getting married to his 13 years old cousin or something. A guy got a divorce, a sex tape, his son fucked up real bad and he's kinda nutty. Once you really look at it, there's nothing SO damn bad about it. Jeff Hardy has fucked up more than Hogan has.

3. Of course he should! Look, fuck the IWC and their parrot bullshit. Every comment about Hogan is that he's an egomaniac, he can't stay away from the spotlight and the usual recycled bullshit argument. This is Hulk fucking Hogan, not Lance Storm. If ANYONE is allowed to have a giant ego about himself, it's Hulk freaking Hogan. Hulk is the greatest professional wrestler to ever live. Forget about his moves or some of the other imaginary standards set by the internet fans. This man defined a whole industry. He made it with McMahon, he made it without McMahon. Hell, he MADE McMahon and he almost killed him.

Anyone who badmouths Hogan's current role in TNA or his wrestling persona in general ought to suck a fat one. The guy is doing a great job as the TNA General Manager, he's passionate, he's on point and he delivers. He has more knowledge than all of us combined and then tripled, he has more recognition than any wrestler alive today despite being idle for years, and he's a damn legend.

It's about time the "fans" here started treating him as such. Does he have to die for you to respect him? If you like pro wrestling you'll love Hulk Hogan. Long live the Hulkster!

[youtube]c9imuWKUKjg[/youtube]​

1. Is the Hulksters legacy still intact? In the words of SCSA OH HELLLLLLL YAHHHHHHH! Hogan is pro wrestling that man is the babe ruth the lou gehrig walter Payton of wrestling simply put he is the greatest ever past present and future. As long as Hogan is still breathing air wrestling lives and so does Hogan. Without this man there would be no SCSA,Rock,Cena,HHH. No great matches would have ever happened IMO anyway.

2. Does his backstage politics make it worse? To a sense it does but that man has a genius mind for the business so i would never question his logic or acumen for the business. Sometimes yes Hogan makes some rather bs calls like putting the strap on himself at WM9 that was a bullshit move but your gonna pull one of those every once in awhile. Again Hogan is a trailblazer and should have his own wing in the HOF!

3. Yes Hogan absolutely should have his role in pro wrestling he is still the biggest draw TNA has and when he first appeared i believe they did their highest ratings to date. So hell yah he should have a role of some type the business owes it to him! As long as he wants he should have a role

1. Only die hard wrestling fans really know about all the nutty things that happened to the Hulkster, so his legacy as a pro wrestler lives on.
Actually to give an example, I'm dating a girl right now who knows nothing about wrestling and does not know any wrestlers at all and she's young, 22. So I said that she must know at least one wrestler and she said: "I don't know... (laughed) Hulk Hogan?"

So there you go when a non wrestling fan thinks wrestling generations later, it's still Hulk Hogan.

2. As the die hard Hulkamaniacs get old and die, his backstage legacy gets worse by hearsay but Hogan was only accused of being tyrannical backstage years ago and most of those wrestling fans who thought of him that way will fade away and we'll all just know Hogan as the man who made wrestling what it is. He'll be thought of as some kind of a hero.

3. Yes wrestling needs Hogan whether people like it or not, he's kind of like the grandfather of wrestling. If he talks about it in the media, he's regarded as an expert.

1. His work in the last fifteen years could be seen as a killer to his image. He pulled some egotistical moves in the late 90s that cost the WCW their company, then saw his last stride with the WWE and left in 05. Then, Hulk made his worst mistake, he made Hogan Knows Best and revealed his crumbling family life, tearing down some of the image he built during his wonder years. Then he surprisingly moved to Impact Wrestling and showed a familiar strangle to TNA. However, Hulk Hogan's image will never go as long as wrestling fans exist, because Hulkamania was a dominant force that is hard to forget.

2.It would make it a bit worse but it would not kill it.

3. It would be hard to imagine one of the best wrestlers of the last 50 years would just abandon his job after he starts growing whites. Hulk needs wrestling as much as wrestling needs the Hulkster

Of course it is. Hogan made wrestling what it is today. The goofy things he has done aren't even really that bad in today's society. Hogan is still probably the name that pops into people's minds when they think of wrestling. Doing strange things isn't going to change that.

Imo it doesn't affect his legacy at all. Sure he has pulled some dick moves, but that doesn't take away anything he has done for the sport.

I like his role now to be honest. I think the show tends to focus on him a bit too much, but I like the on air authority figure role for him. If he wants to be involved and the people want to see it then he should be involved.

My opinion is that he's overrated and that he always has been. Yeah, he was a huge draw and i respect that. I also respect that he was somewhat influential, doesn't mean i have to like him and think he was the greatest ever. He was a marketable performer that came in at a right time and hit it off with the audience, good for him. He's certainly not the best pro-wrestler ever, in any respect.

To answer the questions:

1) To the majority of people, yes
2) Worse, definitely. The consensus is that Hulk Hogan has always been about Hulk Hogan. Ultra-protective of his spot to the point of back-stabbery. Even in old-age he craves the spotlight and would hardly ever put people over himself. A true egomaniac and control freak.
3) You'd think such a huge name should be involved somehow but i'm not sure. It amazes me that Hogan and Bischoff ran WCW into the ground and someone actually wants them to run their company? It's ridiculous. I really don't see TNA doing better having them there. I don't agree with most of what Bret Hart has to say, but he said that all Hulk Hogan knows is how to be Hulk Hogan, i tend to agree with that.

Yes, without a doubt. Hulk Hogan is the biggest wrestler of all time in terms of overall popularity, only the Rock has any claim to toppling him but Hogan's achievements in the ring greatly outrank even the Great One.

There will never, ever be another Hulk Hogan, there could be another Austin, Rock, HBK, Hitman etc.. It's as simple as that. I say this as someone who only ever enjoyed Hogan as a performer during 1996 to 1998 as well, I was never a Hulkamaniac.

I wouldn't say so, maybe in the eyes of some smarks like us but overall most fans from Hogan's heyday didn't care about backstage politics and care less now that they've drifted from the sport.

He does and I think he's doing a lot better in TNA than he was when he first came in. I think he has finally realised that he cannot put TNA 'on the map' by his star power alone and I think the product in the last 12 months has actually been better than WWE for the most part.

If he leaves TNA he should always be an ambassador for the WWE, appearances at fan events, on the legends' roundtable etc.

His legacy will always be intact. What happened(happens) to him outside of the ring won't impact his legacy in the business. Hogan is known OUTSIDE the business (As Arn Anderson said on the "Death of WCW" DVD, even if someone has never watched professional wrestling, they know who Hogan is). That won't change, and can't change.

Only for those who follow/care about backstage politics/bullshit stories. If people follow and care about stuff like that, then I'm sure his image is tarnished. Why people would care, I don't know.

Absolutely he should. He shouldn't be in the ring though, but there is no reason why he couldn't gracefully transition into a role like Gorilla Monsoon had in the WWF. I don't watch Impact!, so I'm unsure of how Hogan is being used there, but if they kept him out of the ring and made him more of a manager/authority figure, then there is no reason he can't be used. He should also definitely be used by the younger guys to learn how to speak and get themselves over with the crowd.

Yes, at the end of the day he will still be remembered as exactly what he is, the biggest star in the history of pro wrestling. The Rock may have become a legit movie star but when people think of wrestling Hogan is still the name that even non fans know.

He's absolutely on a level of his own as regards to what he has done in wrestling and for wrestling. He took WWF to the mountain top as a face, then went to WCW and was the leader of the faction that put WCW on the mountain top and launched the second boom period, this time as a heel.

No, every top star has some blood on their hands, it's the nature of the business.

Personally I like his role in TNA right now, sure sometimes there is too much focus on him but he can still cut those blustering promos where he makes the angles and the titles feel important, and guys that do promo segments with him like Aries and Roode, came out of them looking much bigger stars simply by the way he addressed them as equals, he put them over without needing to take a single bump.

I ask this question because of the many different facets of Hogan's career. Hogan's the most well-known wrestler that's ever lived due to his exposure to pop culture during his hey day. He had his own cartoon, his own brand, and was the face of the WWF/E for almost a decade.

Well stated, very true. I think it's hard to argue that point. Therefore I won't restate the obvious.

He then goes on to WCW and puts them on the map with Hulkamania still running wild, then transforming to Hollywood Hogan as a member of the NWO.

I don't entirely disagree with your points, and I think your heart is in the right place. But Hogan didn't put WCW as the map so much as he just helped revitalize the promotion. The promotion was in danger of going under from what I've heard, again a lot of this could be embellishment and whatnot, but as we all know the company formerly known as Jim Crockett Promotions did sell its entity to Ted Turner, and the company was rebranded and changed around. This is very akin to when Capital Wrestling Corporation was bought by Vince McMahon from his father and the WWF's new parent company was Titan Sports as opposed to CWC.

Not to take anything away from Hogan's arrival in the promotion, but WCW had a long and storied history already and a great talent roster even after their partnership with the NWA ended. As a result Hogan joined a roster with the likes of Sting, Ric Flair, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Brian Pillman, Cactus Jack, Johnny B. Badd, Arn Anderson amongst a host of others. Hogan did indeed bring more attention but more importantly he just helped a long established promotion get its groove back after having been under new ownership for several years.

So therefore, while a major Hogan mark like me would to many's expectations want to undermine and overlook the foundation that WCW had before his arrival. I simply cannot. Especially when you consider how Ric Flair was the foundation of JCP/WCW's base for so long. Anyway, it is still something that can be added to Hogan's resume and can't be overlooked. Especially since it was a catalyst to the nWo angle. But the fanbase was supporting this brand even through its worst years well before Hogan got there.

It's a shame that Turner's buyout of the promotion only turned out to be a short term fix, and that the company would succumb years later to what's been cited as overspending, bad booking decisions and constant changes in hierarchy.

After another brief run in the WWE, he's now in TNA and is still a prominent figure in the IMPACT Wrestling program.

Indeed he is, and despite his stating that he's going to be TNA World Champion soon, I'll believe it when I see it. I think people by now should realize Hogan's a massive troll, and he does it so well that most of us here in the IWC fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Remember since arriving to TNA/Impact! everyone assumed he'd be World Champion before the end of his first year in the company, and if I even remember right some schmucks even worried that the Nasty Boys were going to become tag champs. Amusingly enough, I remember the Nastys being fired almost immediately into their debut with the promotion. Obviously, Hogan's clout doesn't work as often as his haters want us to think.

While I would like to see Hogan with WWE as opposed to TNA, I will say that it's still good to see him doing something in wrestling, although I don't watch with the same passion anymore. But just the same, wrestling owes a great debt to his role in things, therefore he's earned his right to still do something involving wrestling.

He's also had his own reality show 'Hogan Knows Best', and a lot of personal information about Hogan's been made public and has influenced his role in pro wrestling as more of a figure head than a legendary wrestler.

I wish I could forget that Hogan Knows Best ever existed, I might lose some of my legitimacy as a Hogan mark here, but I curse the day that show ever made the airwaves. Hulk Hogan as a reality star is depressing, and his antics on there make his performances in his movies look like a Sir Laurence Olivier performance.

Many remember Hogan as the iconic figure who said his prayers, took his vitamins, and ran wild over anyone and everyone. Some know him as an older hack that can't seem to let go of his legacy and refuses to believe he's ever wrong. Some even say his 'creative control' had a vast influence on the downfall of WCW, as well as the current staleness of TNA.

It's hard to forget the demandments of Hulkamania, those are staples. Anyway, I've said it in other statements, a lot of Hogan's foolish and crash statements, save for that horrendous jail call phone call with his son. Which he was all too oblivious to things and therefore embarrassed himself was ridiculous and dumb to say the least. But at the same time, I am not a moralist, and I greatly scoff at and shake my head when people take the moralist approach to what they hear people say. Especially celebrities, I don't justify in any way Hogan's state of mind and greedy sentiments that day in his son's jail cell. But you know what, I've said less than pleasing things about others and would be mortified if recorded footage and audio files of such things ever were revealed. And the same goes for practically every person. None of us are perfect.

His antics in WCW, yes there were some questionable moments in his stint. But if Hogan's creative control was as all encompassing and far reaching as stated. How the hell did Vince Russo and David Arquette win the World Title? Yes, I know Hogan's days on TV were numbered, but if I remember right he was under contract into 2001. Therefore, I'm sure that if creative outcomes were vital to him especially those concerning the World Title, he'd have vetoed that in a heartbeat.

Absolutely, after all should Steve Austin's a Hall of Famer too and he's gone to court more than once in domestic assault cases that involved more than one woman. So many people who adamantly despise Hogan, will never bat an eye at someone like Austin's antics. Let us not forget, he's a man who actually got convicted for his actions towards his then wife Debra. And a couple of years later, I remember a live-in girlfriend of his bringing him to court over the same thing.

Click here to read about Steve Austin's domestic assault in 2004, two years removed from his incident with Debra.

In all fairness, this might have been another exaggerated story, but again, so many people are prime to fall victim to speculation based on Hogan, but if faced with something a little more concrete like Austin's domestic issues, you'll find difficulty actually getting a straight answer. Again, I've dealt with idiots that actually feel Chris Benoit is a better man than Hogan, even "though he killed his family and all". It's a sad world we live in when people actually can't separate an entertainer/athlete from their off camera persona. It's all bullshit at the end of the day, people are behind these personas, and for better or worse people are just plain complicated and do things that disappoint us all.

Until Hogan actually murders a spouse or a child of his, then I see no reason to vehemently loathe him like some people on these parts do. And yes I do know Linda Bollea made accusations towards Hogan but she rescinded her claim about Brutus Beefcake and him being gay lovers. So if she was capable of lying about that, who knows what other bullshit she made up to sell a book.

Irrelevant. Steve Austin also pulled creative control clauses, and his antics if what the net says are true cost WWF/E to do some good business with other competitors. No offense to Austin but by the time 2002 rolled around, he lost major momentum from his neck injury. Doing a job to Brock Lesnar on TV wouldn't have been the end of the world. And on top of it, I know that PPV matches are epic and all, but I'm of the mindset that paying the money that WWE wants for their events is ridiculous. In 2002, Hogan was in a nostalgic revival and was headlining PPVs and TV shows. He did the job to Lesnar, and it worked. It was a great stepping stone to Lesnar's World Title win over The Rock.

Considering Austin's place in wrestling was changing, a loss to Brock Lesnar would not have been the worst thing ever. There's also been times where guys like Shawn Michaels rarely have gotten pinned for titles they've lost. I remember HBK alone losing one half of the tag straps, two IC Titles and a WWF World Title without having a match. I don't buy that story of the nine Marines beating down Michaels, I'm calling work. But I could be wrong, who knows? However, even with that said, I'm sure there's a good possibility Michaels was good at maneuvering a good degree of clout at that time in the WWF.

With that said, this stuff shouldn't affect the legacies of any of these wrestlers. Is it disappointing to hear that people that we admire pull shenanigans like this? Of course! But I do feel that any of us, if we were that fortunate to be in the business could find ourselves prone to looking out for our best interests too.

Last I remembered, entertainment whether it be in the form of wrestling, actual sports and what not, is not a sainthood. So let's all blow the moralist mindset out of our asses and focus on the onscreen product. Because it matters very little what goes on behind the curtain, for that doesn't concern us.

[3) Should Hogan have ANY role in professional wrestling on any level?

Hell yes. As I said before, I'd prefer seeing him back in WWE. But, Hogan can go where he wishes. It was because of TNA, I actually got to meet him and have a real good conversation. Something I know WWE would not let me do. Therefore, Hogan should do what he wants. I think in the longrun TNA could be a better choice because with their risk they're taking in touring, it could lead to better things. WWE would be a nice short term fix for getting a few extra bucks and some more spotlight, but I'd like to see him continue to help build an alternative much in the way, he helped WCW get its legging back as a competitor to the WWF.

Either way, Hogan is a legend, possibly the greatest of them all in wrestling. Anyone who wants to counter that is going to need a really strong argument.

1) No, his legacy has taken a huge hit in the last few years. People to follow the industry closely just arent buying his bullshit anymore. His outragous claims, head scratching stories that are obvious lies and the continue need to take the spotlight away from those who will benefit more from it.

2) Way worse, I was a fan back in the day but knowing what I know now has turned me into a huge Hogan-hater.

3) NO WAY IN HELL!!!! His time has passed. With his age and current state of mind he should be nowhere near any wrestling company. Since he went to TNA their product has suffered and most has to do with Hogan and his little buddy Eric Bischoff. He feels that the entire company needs to revolve around him and its not working. If TNA wants to turn things around and get better they need to show Hogan the door...NOW!! IF what happens later on this year in TNA is what I think will happen and Hogan gets his hands on the TNA World title like he wants.....that will be the final nail in the coffin of TNA.

1) Without a doubt his legacy as a pro wrestler is still intact. he may not be a great 5 star wrestler with the best move set, but he is the most known name in pro wrestling. Hogan is known by people who don't even know wrestling.
2) it hurts his legacy, but not to the point it kills it. does he have pull, yes, but he's still the most known name.
3) sure. his role in TNA isn't bad as long as he's not overused. I like him as the GM of the show.

It's always interesting to try and dissect this subject; the problem is that none of us really know how much of what we read is true and how much is hype. It's amusing to read the opinions of some of the folks on this forum who claim to "know." I always wonder how they come by their knowledge; does the ol' Hulkster have their cellphone number and keep 'em apprised of what he thinks? And even if he did, would you believe everything he said?

Surely, the man's colossal ego has caused him to issue some statements that don't seem consistent with the truth; but as I say, how can we know for sure? When he claims to have "taught Vince McMahon the wrestling business," my stomach turned. In Hogan's WWE heyday, I don't recall reading anything that suggested he was part of the creative process, much less tutoring one of the greatest promoters on the planet. Hogan was a performer: how did he come by his prowess as a manager, promoter and talent scout? I think Hogan was totally full of crap on this....and yes, I think things like that did hurt his legacy.

On the other hand, I don't believe in revisionist thinking: there's no question what Hogan was from the mid-80's to mid-90's. That he was the biggest presence in the business and helped bring pro wrestling into the mainstream more than it had ever been before is unquestionable. Whether he did it for the business as a whole.....or entirely for himself ....is subject to interpretation. But what he accomplished back then can't be canceled out by anything he does now.

Question: In your profession, are you doing your best to benefit the company as a whole.....or are you doing your best to carve out a living for yourself and your family, while trying to stay employed? If it's #2, that's nothing to be ashamed of, because no one looks out for us but ourselves.

That's how I feel about Hogan's claims that he carried the pro wrestling business on his back. Maybe he did; but whom did he do it for? If it was just for himself, I have no problem with that, but I would rather hear the straight goods from the man's mouth rather than suggesting his motives were entirely unselfish. I think he was in business for himself.....and if the wrestling industry benefited from what he was doing, it was fine with him.

Did Hogan bully people and organizations with his fame and power? Again, who really knows? As an example, I pose this: When Hogan first joined WCW, he beat Ric Flair for the world championship on his first friggin' day with the company. No preliminary matches, no build-up toward the title....instead, everyone, including the immortal Ric Flair, was pushed aside to make room for the coming of Hogan.

I don't know about you, but I hated it. Still, I'd have to ask: was this a demand of Hogan's, a decision by WCW, or a combination of the two? There's no way to know for sure, so I'll just continue to detest the action without casting blame.

Does Hogan still have a place in wrestling? Sure, as long as he's helping build the stars of today and tomorrow rather than making himself the feature attraction. The topic we read in the TNA section of this forum about Hogan wanting to be the TNA champion today is the type of nauseating thing we read about him every so often that makes us wonder exactly what his real agenda is.

Is it true? Does he really expect to win the title? Does he really think his creative input is helping TNA, even though the ratings increase he trumpeted never happened? Who the hell knows.

To answer the question posed in this thread: yes, I think he's hurt his legacy somewhat with his behavior the last few years.....but he's still Hulk Hogan, and what he did in the past can't.....and shouldn't.....be erased.

Of course Hogan's Legacy is intact. The real question isnt is Hogan's legacy intact but what is his legacy now that he effectively is retired ?

Hogan is the single biggest star in the history of the industry. Rock is very close but he did it in the reverse, he used a successful short term run in wrestling to help him break into the larger world of motion pictures. Hogan became such a celebrity through his popularity and exposure in wrestling that he had some success as a wrestler who did movies, TV, and commercials. Others have become main stream entertainment stars, Flair is so often referenced by commentators and professional athletes you would think he owns stock in ESPN. Cena recently got an award for the number of appearances he has made for The Make A Wish Foundation and along with HHH has had national ad campaigns for different things. Savage had national exposure with his Slim Jim Campaign, Austin has made multiple appearances on prime time network TV shows like Chuck & Nash Bridges. No doubt all of them are revered but Hogan is the biggest and most recognizable star out of them all.

Hogan's bad reputation regarding "creative control" is a big part of his legacy. In part, Hogan will always be remembered as a "Me First" guy who did whatever he could to protect his brand, even at the expense of quality long term booking. On the other hand Hogan is also maybe the smartest business man on the wrestler side of the table simply because he has been so successful so long at protecting and expanding his brand.

The final part is the fact that Hogan was the public face of the industry during it's national expansion, the single biggest boom period in the industry's history. Flair was big in the 80s, as were Savage, Dusty Rhodes, Andre, but Hogan was the Sports Illustrated cover boy who became an internatinal celebrity through his success in pro wrestling. Being the public face of the 80's boom is an essential part of Hogan's legacy.

The biggest wrestling produced main stream entertainment star, the most successful and/or most destructive backstage politician, the public face of the national expansion, that is Hogan's Legacy and Ive seen nothing from him indicating any of that will change.

A few things to remember when dealing with the less than exemplary stories Of Hogan's creative control...

Ric Flair put it best when detailing his dealings, good & bad, wrestling is a cut throat business where your popularity and marketability depends heavily on things outside your control like how promoters decide to book your matches and portray your character on TV, independent contractors who do not have a union to support them or give them collective baragaining power, who do not have pensions or health care, and who travel extensively, sometimes at great personal expense, all year round to work. If Hogan recognized that he his star power was enough to garner such creative control and he used it to protect himself who can blame him. If the creative control issues were damaging the product then it wasnt Hogan's job to adjust, it was Eric Bischoff, he was in charge, he let it go and therefore he is ultimately responsible for any damage to the product.

Did Austin abuse his star power trying to protect his brand ? Yes. Did Austin rise up the ranks of the industry in a promotion that was going out of business, forcing him to go to WCW ? Yes. In WCW, did Eric Bischoff fail to utilize him to the fullest potential, costing him huge money ? Yes. Was he a hard working, loyal WCW employee, losing when he was told, following storylines as told, only to be fired while rehabing an injury because he was too bland and un-marketable ? Yes. In WWE was he given considerable latitude with regards to his booking due to his success ? Yes. Did Vince McMahon eventually put his foot down and let Austin walk when when he felt the 'creative differences' were unacceptable ? Yes, Vince as boss was willingly to exercise his authority and if Austin didnt like it too bad. A similar situation came to be with Michaels and it was resolved the same way. Like Austin HBK had seen the 1st hand the abuses of the industry and worked hard to protect his brand also but when push came to shove Vince made the tough calls, even if hurt the show in the short term because he felt it elevated the product (and the ability to maintain control and authority over the roster) in the long term.

You will never be able to separate these aspects, negative as they are, from Hogan's legacy but I can understand why he operated the way he did, if it hurt WCW then I blame Bischoff for losing control of the talent and the programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back