• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Key To Being Over

Ferbian

Has Returned.
The obvious answer to this would have to be "Be interesting dammit!"

And sure that would pretty much cover the whole thread. We could just end it now? But where would the fun be in that? Yeah. There wouldn't be any. And this thread would be awful if we did.

So a the key point for a wrestler to have a great career is to get over. Getting over means you'll achieve stuff. If you're someone nobody cares for. Never getting over. You're basically at the verge of future endeavor. If not already being future endeavored.

Various wrestlers have gotten over in various ways. Brock Lesnar got over by being dominant as hell I would assume. As well as being worth watching. John Cena got over by being entertaining (Because it certainly couldn't be because he was the next Bret Hart).

But that doesn't mean that they got over quickly with everyone. Some still finds John boring. Some might never have seen the appeal in Brock Lesnar. It all varies when the viewer looks at the product and the promotion over all.

So of course that would leave a lot of people wondering "So if you like him. How come? Why did he get over with you?"

And that's exactly what this thread is gonna ask. Not specifically that wrestler A got over with you. Not that wrestler B didn't get over with you. But what the gets a wrestler over.

What makes a wrestler interesting to you? What is the key to getting over to you?

Making the crowd care, I'd assume. Too obvious for you? How about not simply being a generic wrestler with nothing that makes you standout. For instance, Ted Dibiase. Is he over now? Doubtful. Why? Because he's boring as hell. I don't give a fuck who his dad is, he still sucks. Obviously having an attractive French woman by his side can help that, no?

So, bottomline, uniqueness. I have no reason to care about the Dudebusters because there's nothing special about them. A ridiculous character like an really pale guy with bright orange hair and a strange accent has a better chance of getting over, no?

Talent in the ring and on the mic could play a factor as well, but only if they're truly outstanding. Like one Mr. Danielson. Whatever happened to him.

Also, another key to getting over is not being John Morrison.

I agree with Disarray.

Personality > In-ring ability

John Morrison has the look AND the moves in the ring...but he's still a snooze. Why is that? Because he has absolutely ZERO personality!

I've tried to give Ted Dibiase Jr. a chance...because I was such a big fan of his father for years...but I just can't do it. He's just too boring. Cody Rhodes is a bore too.

The majority of these younger guys seemed to have been focusing on just their wrestling moves the whole time and forgot a major part of the business - their overall character.

You can know the process all you want...but unless you have the personality...you're not going to be a very good salesman. It's just the way it is.

As I've said in the past. I'd much rather have a wrestler with a great personality and very mediocre in-ring skills than a wrestler with absolutely no personality and the best in-ring skills the world has ever seen. And judging by the outcome of wrestlers over the years in general. Everybody agrees with me...regardless if they pretend they don't.

I can not think of one wrestler of the past ten years that got over just due to wrestling ability. All of the stars had some sort of personality, even guys like Brock Lesnar who didn't talk that much had a personality (the don't fuck with me or I'll break your kneecaps kind)

If you have a personality you're chances of getting over increase a lot, case in point The Miz, not great in the wrestling department and doesn't have a chiselled physique, but his personality shines through (thanks to his mic skills)

Also if your mic skills are good, chances are you'll get over as well seeing as you have to make your fued/promo interesting and if people find it interesting they may get into you more.

Sorry fellas, but the answer is as simple as personality, as Optimist and I have been relaying for months now. Getting a wrestler over is a simple process if and when they actually have a personality that you can't compare to a god dam dial-tone.

It's why I say most of the "up and comers" in the WWE are card-carrying members of the DPC (Dial-Tone Personality Club) – none of them, if not for the legacy and lineage of both their names (in the event they're second, third, fourth generation stars) and the WWE's powerful history would be anywhere near where they are today, in fact I'd venture that most would be flat on their asses trying to sell themselves to indie shows by using their fathers and grandfathers' names as a means to get people to buy into seeing them. Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase Jr., John Morrison, Drew McIntyre, Kofi Kingston, etc. all fit that bill, unfortunatley.

Now, that's not the say that those without personality cannot get over – they can (look no further than Jeff Hardy for proof of that) – but they have a substantially more difficult time in the process, and a substantially more difficult time staying over. Most require cult followings who are willing to let a lot of their short-comings slide for whatever else they bring. In Jeff's case, he was willing to do stunts many were not, so most folks looked past his incredibly contrived and forced promos where he emphasizes words in sentences and statements for no reason, because he was willing to do a Swanton Bomb off the top of the Titan Tron.

I can not think of one wrestler of the past ten years that got over just due to wrestling ability. All of the stars had some sort of personality, even guys like Brock Lesnar who didn't talk that much had a personality (the don't fuck with me or I'll break your kneecaps kind)

If you have a personality you're chances of getting over increase a lot, case in point The Miz, not great in the wrestling department and doesn't have a chiselled physique, but his personality shines through (thanks to his mic skills)

Also if your mic skills are good, chances are you'll get over as well seeing as you have to make your fued/promo interesting and if people find it interesting they may get into you more.

I agree. But in some cases if your "personality" is that of a bafoon (i.e. Santino Marella) you will definitely limit yourself from being a main event star...but I'm sure it will still give you job security because it's still entertaining to watch nonetheless.

I never really cared for Brock Lesnar. Even Bill Goldberg didn't do it for me. Particularly because they were significantly more boring versions of the Ultimate Warrior. Especially Goldberg. And Lesnar seemed to be the WWE's version of him. So he was kind of like a rip off of a rip off to me lol.

Look at the Warrior and Goldberg. You take off the cover of the book and they were basically the same gimmick. A dominant guy with a big entrance who could barely wrestle at all but would barely ever lose. But the thing I hated was that the Ultimate Warrior was like a comic book super hero with his facepaint and ropes dangling...he was all colorful and stuff. Meanwhile Goldberg was like a regular guy plucked from the coal mines and given boring black trunks and he basically did the same thing. I was just upset about it...I never understand the "less" is "more" philosophy on some of the things they did in those days.

Kofi Kingston got over with me because he's so exciting and explosive even when he comes out to the ring.He should translate that into his mic work and he would be the best black wrestler we've had in a while.Can you dig that?

Zack Ryder got over with me because of his gimmick.I love his theme music as well,and I know his gimmick is nothing more than a over tanned version of the cocky heel we ALWAYS see,but there's something different about the way he does it that makes me like him as a heel.

John Morrison and Evan Bourne are over with me for the same reason...teh flippyz!!11!one! But seriously,they do stuff I...cannot,and it amazes me each and everytime I watch them.

Generally speaking,the easiest way to get over would be through mic skills.Everyone loves a guy that can get them excited about what they're doing,and get the fans involved.I think it's an instant boost if they hear a fan say something,and they respond.The superstar makes it an interactive experience and the fan feels like they got more than what they paid for.

Sorry fellas, but the answer is as simple as personality, as Optimist and I have been relaying for months now. Getting a wrestler over is a simple process if and when they actually have a personality that you can't compare to a god dam dial-tone.

It's why I say most of the "up and comers" in the WWE are card-carrying members of the DPC (Dial-Tone Personality Club) – none of them, if not for the legacy and lineage of both their names (in the event they're second, third, fourth generation stars) and the WWE's powerful history would be anywhere near where they are today, in fact I'd venture that most would be flat on their asses trying to sell themselves to indie shows by using their fathers and grandfathers' names as a means to get people to buy into seeing them. Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase Jr., John Morrison, Drew McIntyre, Kofi Kingston, etc. all fit that bill, unfortunatley.

Now, that's not the say that those without personality cannot get over – they can (look no further than Jeff Hardy for proof of that) – but they have a substantially more difficult time in the process, and a substantially more difficult time staying over. Most require cult followings who are willing to let a lot of their short-comings slide for whatever else they bring. In Jeff's case, he was willing to do stunts many were not, so most folks looked past his incredibly contrived and forced promos where he emphasizes words in sentences and statements for no reason, because he was willing to do a Swanton Bomb off the top of the Titan Tron.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I most certainly agree with everything you have just said.

Sometimes personality can take form in something else...like charisma. Examples like the Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg, Lesnar, or as IDR said, Jeff Hardy, etc. certainly did not have the personalities to get them over - but the charisma was there due to their overall gimmick or whatever it is they were representing perhaps. Back in the day, something as simple as the person's entrance could make or break the wrestler. This may certainly have been the case with the Ultimate Warrior and Goldberg.

These wrestling camps run by guys like Hardcore Holly and stuff are nice...but how the hell are they going to learn personality in there with those stiffs running the show?? And more often than not...the personality is not something that can be taught or learned but it's something you just have to find for yourself...

I also agree that if the WWE didn't have it's legacy attached...both with the fans nostalgic and sentimental attachment to the brand...as well as the wrestlers having links to prior successful acts...if these links in the chain never existed...WWE would certainly not be standing as high up as they are right now.

The key to being over has nothing whatsoever to do with in-ring ability. It's all about personality and connecting with the fans, whether they love you or hate you, you'll get over if you can engender a passionate response in your fan base.

Hogan couldn't wrestle to save his life, and he's the most over of all time. I don't really think Stone Cold of the Rock were exactly ring technicians either, but their results speak for themselves. Same goes with Cena and countless others.

Same goes for divas. None of them can wrestle, but some of them are fan favorites because of their personalities.

Now if you are lucky enough to have in-ring skills too, that's an added bonus. Very few guys have had both (HBK, Angle, and a select few others).

But it's all about the personality, which is why I tend to not fully give AJ Styles his full credit, especially during this ill-conceived heel run. He must have rented a DPC card from some of the WWE guys that IDR complains of, because I cannot think of anyone else with the skill level that he has that makes me care as little as he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back