The Junk Yard Dog

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Every so often I like to create an old school thread on a random wrestler that doesn’t get much recognition on this forum. At the risk or irritating KB, today’s topic is the Junkyard Dog. As I was watching Smackdown tonight I thought JYD would have been a great fit in the blast from the past show if he were still alive. Since he’s never discussed here I thought I’d give him his own thread.

As Vince McMahon was building his empire on the back of Hulk Hogan in the mid 80s he plucked other talent from many regional promotions to create a strong supporting cast. One of the biggest names he signed was none other than Junkyard Dog. I can’t say I know much about his time in Mid South Wrestling but I know he was a huge draw there and was extremely over with the fans. I don’t think many are going to argue that JYD was a master ring technician but that was never his appeal. JYD made a living on charisma and he was definitely one of the most charismatic stars in the game as wrestling exploded on the national scene. His trademark chain and unique mic skills made him a popular attraction. The kids loved it when he invited them into the ring to boogey after one of his victories. For a while he was easily the second most popular guy in the WWF right behind Hogan. He was my first favorite when I started watching at a very young age.

As a kid I thought JYD would have made a good Intercontinental champion. Looking back I realize that the IC title was the workhorse title and was better suited for more skilled guys like Tito Santana, Greg Valentine, and Randy Savage. Besides JYD was so over he didn’t need titles. The fans loved him no matter what and fully supported him in feuds with Terry Funk, Adrian Adonis, and Harley Race among others. They loved watching him torment Jimmy Hart. As 1987 turned to 1988 JYD fell down the ranks in the WWF. He became a lower mid card guy and was out of the company by the end of 1988.

What are your thoughts on the JYD? For about a three year period during one of wrestling’s hottest eras he was as popular as anybody. Why doesn’t his name ever come up here? Is it lack of titles? Is it simply because most people here are too young to remember him? Even if your only memories of JYD are thanks to video tape I’d like to hear your thoughts.

JYD was fun to watch from what I remember... I was pretty young when I saw him and don't remember much, but I do remember liking him. I have rewatched some stuff on DVD and youtube and can tell the guy has a ton of charisma. Actually, one of the matches that got me hooked on wrestling i.e. a lifelong fan was his and macho man's match at the Wrestling Classic. I just randomly found that video at the videostore and when I saw it, I was hooked. Wasn't he king of the ring for a while after that wrestling classic tourney? i don't remember, either way, JYD was a great wrestler with a cool gimmick, it was nothing too over the top, but it was enough that it got him noticed in both wrestling and outside of wrestling. Hell, on an episode of psych they mentioned him! JYD was definitely a staple of the 80s.

I got really excited because I thought you may be backing him in the WZ Tournament.

JYD is one of my all time favorites. His smile and antics were infectious. He was just a big kid playing a role for the kids with his chain, barking and knee shaking dancing. I always expected during his time that they were going to put a title on him but it never happened and in the end he just seemed to be guy Vince would use to get heels over. I never gave a crap or even noticed his ability or inability in the ring He just made me smile. He was always my #2 behind Hogan and in some ways during that time I wanted him to have his opportunity as champion even if it meant Hogan would have to take a back seat for a little while.

I'm a big JYD fan. Obviously I wasn't born during his WWE run but as a kid when I would rent the old school vhs tapes from Blockbuster, he was always one of my favorites. He is also a guy that I consistently back in the WZ tournament every year though usually with little support from anyone else. People just look at his technical prowess in the ring and say he's shit but it couldn't be any further from the truth. He was the second most over face in the WWE during his run there and had some great success early on winning the Wrestling Classic tournament at the WWE's first ever ppv. He was an extremely entertaining performer who didn't need any titles to get over.

I was a young kid during JYD's time, and unfortunately he got lost in the Hogan shuffle for me. I was a Hulkamaniac to say the least, and while I knew JYD was there to I dont remember much about him other that he was very popular. I wish WWE would do a DVD on him so i could see some of his matches again. What are some of his most notable feuds? I do know he didn't win any titles and maybe that is the reason he doesn't come up much. Like I said anyone who has any facts on him would be greatly appreciated.

[YOUTUBE]yz0z6L6y3Xc[/YOUTUBE]

What's not to like about this guy. He is simply hilarious! Each time I watch, I crack at this match. Mind you, wrestling those days were in a much slower pace. Even the classics had lot of headlocks, walking around the ring etc etc. So what made watching wresting fun was the characters. That's why JYD was a great guy for his era. Thanks to the Brain to open these threads, so we just remember those classic wrestlers who don't see much spotlight today

I got really excited because I thought you may be backing him in the WZ Tournament.

JYD is one of my all time favorites. His smile and antics were infectious. He was just a big kid playing a role for the kids with his chain, barking and knee shaking dancing.

Not to mention making women pay to have sex with him. Now that made me say 'let's boogey like the dog!'

I have seen a few matches of his but mostly its been through other wrestlers talking about him. Back in the day when wrestlers represented a community and fans would basically fight for them, JYD was a black hero. Same can be said about Ernie Ladd to a degree. Ernie Ladd was the most famous black entertainer before Ali came knocking. The territory days are a fun read, listen, watch. And the most appealing factor is how the fans REALLY connected with these wrestlers. Same thing can be said about the High Chief Peter Maivia and the Samoan clan. The Patterson stories should be a separate LOW show.

Back to JYD. Here was a man that was connected to his community and then transcended it when he came to the WWF's platform. Great entertainer.

JYD WAS the #1 babyface of Mid-South for quite a few years, and this was in the areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, East Texas, and Oklahoma, where it still wasn't exactly popular to be cheering for a Black wrestler; even in the early 80s. He also made a stop in Georgia Championship Wrestling, and had a major feud with the Fabulous Freebirds. In this day and age, if he were active, he would have been a multiple time champion by now (maybe not World Champion, but several IC & US belts in his resume).

Whenever I here Queens"Another one bites the dust" I think JYD since he was one of the few wrestlers who had theme music back then and that to me was a thing that got him over. JYD in certain cities would get bigger pops than Hogan that's how over he was and he didn't need a title.

The beauty of JYD was his character wasn't a stereotype unlike the huckster Slick,that was him in real life. It was good to see a black man not made to act and talk like a pimp. JYD! JYD! JYD! It was nice to see people old and young from all races chant those 3 letters goes to show how over he was and he wasn't a champ.

*sidenote* the reason Greg Valentine was so hated in his rivalry with JYD is because of a drunken racist promo he did at the Boston Garden. The look on Gene Okerlunds face is priceless. Youtube it. When that promo circulated The Hammer was public enemy no.1 without Jimmy Hart.

JYD was a great gimmick wrestler in that era. He was a face, he was tough, and the kids loved him. He didn't have great mic skills but he made up for it in the ring. He was the first character that I remember getting on an ice cream bar! Very entertaining man and with so many, gone way too soon!

First of all, great topic. Just the other night, I had my husband looking at a YouTube vid of Stagger Lee vs. Ted DiBiase. For those who don't know, The Dog lost a loser leave town match and came back in full mask with a full body suit. He was slim, as far as JYD goes, and quick in the couple of minutes with DiBiase. Another poster said everytime they hear Another One Bites the Dust, he thinks of the Dog. Whenever I see someone execute a running powerslam, I yell out "Thump!"

In addition to reading about the Dog in Tony Atlas' book, take a look at Cowboy Bill Watts book. He takes some time to tell how much of a chance he was taking with having a black wrestler at the top of the card in his organization. And what about Roddy Piper's promo telling how black people have just been out of slavery over 400 years and now the Dog shows up wrapped in chains. :lmao:

And yes, I do think the lack of WWF/E championships has hurt him in the history books as we'll never see his name for anything beyond King of the Ring of which he played to the hilt!

Oh, and don't forget he had his own song on the first Rock and Wrestling Album, "Grab Them Cakes," in which you could onlyl make out about half of the words. Excuse me, it's time to get up and dance now.

JYD never gets the credit now that he deserves. He was very over and he was loveable. Part of the reason why he's not remembered or respected could be the fact that he didn't have any notable title runs, but also because his character had a racist element to it. Like Slick's first promo where he was eating fried chicken, JYD comes from an era where it's okay to take shots at the racial stereotypes. It's embarrassing for the wrestling industry to now show a black man with chains and a dog collar around his neck.

I loved JYD when I was a kid, and now, looking through this thread full of memories, I realized that he was my first favourite wrestler. There was some moment on the hourly show in the 80s where he was beat down outside the ring, lying on the mats. I don't remember what exactly happened, but I remember I was shocked and stunned that whoever it was could have done that to my favourite wrestler. If anyone can fill me on what I'm referring to (around 1986 or 1987?) I would absolutely appreciate it.

JYD was definitely my favorite wrestler behind Hogan in the mid to late 80's. I wish I could've seen him in the southern territories; from what I've read he's held quite a few titles. His was my favorite figure to play with whenever my older cousin and I played with his figures. He definitely had charisma, and while I wished he had won a title or two in WWF, it wasn't needed (much like with Piper until he got the IC belt). Tough as they come yet endearing to the fans, especially kids. I was saddened when he got killed, but its great to know that he isn't an afterthought in the eyes of wrestling fans.

JYD might have been the #2 babyface behind Hogan in 85-86. The guy was over, because everything about him was just fun.

I wish I could have seen more of his work with Watts in Mid-South. From all accounts, he was over huge during his run there.

It's unfortunate that he isn't remembered as much as he should be. Probably because he never won gold in the WWF. Ridiculous, but in this era where everyone has multiple title reigns to their credit, people seem to be conditioned to think less of anyone that doesn't. I even saw someone on here earlier today saying that Piper didn't mean much in WWE history because he was only IC champ once.

Dog was at the top of a hot territory; he was one of the biggest stars of the original expansion. He had a great career, and thank you to the OP for putting this thread up.

Now it's time to offer a slightly different perspective -- that of someone who grew up in Houston, TX, watching Mid-South (later UWF) Championship Wrestling. As a kid, The Junkyard Dog was ridiculously popular in the region. It really was an anomaly, because it was a pretty racist environment. Still, JYD was someone it seemed everyone could rally around/behind.

During that era, he held tons of regional titles, the top championships in Mid-South. He feuded with all the top heels, going over most every one. I'd give you an idea of who his contemporaries were, but you would only remember those individuals as they eventually came to be seen through the lenses of the WWF (now WWE).

For fans of Mid-South, we were very excited when our local boy jumped to "the big time." WWF definitely knew they had something good in JYD, which is why they allowed him to become a top name in the company, but the argument was he "didn't need a title to get over." That's true. He was definitely over with fans. And he had an incredible early run in WWF.

It was after that first year or so that people like me started to be turned off by him. I remembered JYD as a legit tough guy. He kicked serious ass in Houston. Then he got to the WWF, and they turned him into a cartoon. Literally AND figuratively. Next thing you know, he's barking and wearing chains and "funky dancing" to "Grab Them Cakes."

I was embarrassed for him. Seriously. And I was only like 12 years old. But even a 12-year-old knows when someone is being made into a fool!

The worst part is that I watched WWF do that to a whole string of my Mid-South favorites! One-by-one, Vince McMahon bought out the top talent from my hometown wrestling company, turning each into ridiculous caricatures and reducing each to shadows of their former selves.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan -- who shared top face/tough guy duties with JYD in Mid-South -- came in pretty close to his basic character. Then, before long, he was also a tool being used to sell styrofoam 2x4s.

Kamala was a killing machine in the Mid-South. Though he got a great build-up against Hogan, afterward, he couldn't figure out which side his opponents had to be on to get the pinfall.

One Man Gang mowed through the competition in the South. He was unstoppable. Even Duggan couldn't secure a solid victory over him. When he went north, after a fairly impressive run, he became the soul-dancing, Akeem the African Dream. I wanted to curl up and die.

Butch Reed, Dick Slater, Terry Taylor... One after another, the Mid-South's best were destroyed by the WWF. It was horrible to watch! Each time, I would get my hopes up, then they would be dashed.

The only one who came to WWF, got a makeover & succeeded in a way that was NOT humiliating was "Million-Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. In Mid-South, he was hard-working, evil -- and occasionally good -- but also a tough guy. He is so incredible on the mic, though, he gave 110% to his new identity and became a legend.

Junk Yard Dog, though, didn't fair as well. Sure, the kids loved him. He sold merchandise. He had some impressive victories -- like winning a Cadillac in some giant battle royal. He had some good feuds. But when it comes down to it, the reason people don't talk about him is the WWF didn't give him anything truly memorable to distinguish his tenure in the company.

JYD came to WWF in an era where titles changed hands FAR less often than they do today. It made the reigns mean something. And, if the industry were still like that, people would discuss him. Unfortunately, it's not.

Today, nearly everyone on WWE's roster is a former champ of some sort. Everyone gets rewarded, even if only briefly, during their time in the company. JYD wasn't so fortunate. For the most part, popularity is great, but it's fleeting. It's achievement people recall, and where the WWE is concerned, he didn't have much to claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back