The Heroes of Modern Music

The Jabroni

Dark Match Winner
There's been a lot of discussion about the downfall of the music industry; about the flaws of modern popular music; about the people who are ruining humanity's most enduring art.

But what about the heroes? What about those that fight to keep music pure? What about those who throw off the shackles of pop sensibility and maintain their individuality against all odds, trends, and popular opinions? What about the people that continue to see the art in the static?

Music isn't just organized sound: It's life dripping and pouring from the headphones and speakers. This thread is to applaud the people that remind us of that with their work and dedication.

To get this praise-party started, I'd like to mention one of the unsung demigods of music: Tom Waits.

Tom Waits has been on the scene since 1972 and I can honestly say that there's never been anyone quite like him. His distinctive voice has been producing great tracks for almost 40 years and, as long as he is alive, music will never die. He's the epitome of innovation and originally. He's been covered by everyone from Norah Jones and the Ramones, to the Eagles and Rod Stewart. His music has featured banjolins (not a typo; it's actually a hybrid banjo-mandolin) and marimbas almost as frequently as guitars and pianos. His energetic and creative performances have been featured on the Late Show with David Letterman, Fernwood Tonight, and the Old Grey Whistle Test.

Waits' songwriting skills are indisputable. His music transcends genres and his lyrics range from comical to depressing, often mixing melancholy, sarcasm, and sincerity into one track. Anyone who's heard "Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis" would agree with that. He mixes wordplay with poetry and his performance ability is far from lacking. He's truly a legend and is deserving of mention as one of the heroes of the music industry.

Who else should be on this list of the Patron Saints of Musical Purity? and what sets them apart?

I believe that if you are looking at the heroes of modern music, you have to include Sir Elton John

I am not a particular fan of Elton's work, but the guy has been consistently producing music of a high standard for over 40 years, selling more than 250 million records and is universally respected for his contributions over the years. From the classic tracks of his earlier days such as "I'm Still Standing", "Rocket Man" and "Saturday Night's (All Right For Fighting)", to his "Candle In The Wind" (tribute to Princess Diana, which sold over 33m copies and is the biggest selling single of all time) and his work on several film soundtracks- The Lion King in particular stands out to me, Elton has been at the forefront of musical change.

Look at the mans other achievements:

7 consecutive US number 1 albums
56 top 40 hit singles
6 Grammy Awards
1 Academy Award
1 Golden Globe
Ranked as the most successful male solo artist of all time (3rd overall) by Billboard in 2008

Even today he is relevant, having played piano on Alice In Chains most recent album for the title track, which is dedicated to the memory of Layne Staley, and his collaboration with the late 2Pac on "Ghetto Gospel" and Blue with "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" which both reached number 1 in the UK, not to mention his duo at a live awards ceremony with Eminem, where they performed "Stan".

He still occasionaly has hit singles of his own, with "Are You Ready For Love" and "I Want Love" still regularly being played on the radio, alongside his classic songs.

While admittedly a diva, Elton is respected throughout music, has done alot of charity work- for AIDS in partcular and his musical legacy will outlive him by far. He is definitely a great of modern music, whose contributions should forever be recognised.

Me being a fan I have to speak for rap and three people I'm going to talk about is people I consider Gods of Rap: Jay-Z, Nas and Eminem. They are the leaders of the rap game and once they leave who knows how the genre will survive. They all have street backgrounds and have dropped out of school and probably have some of the sickest lyrics on tracks. In away they even have they'r eown archetypes or gimmicks.

Jay-Z: Hustler turned mogul, turned business, black man that impresses the whites.
Nas: The Messenger, the philosopher, the propjhet, the activist, the realist,
Eminem: The Drug addict, mr mysterious, the rebel, the delinquint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back