• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Heisman Trophy: What Does It Truly Stand For Now?

Little Jerry Lawler

Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
The awarding of the Heisman Trophy is coming up soon and the race looks to be unclear as ever. Mark Ingram, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, C.J. Spiller, and Toby Gerhart look to be all in the running as the college football season comes to a close. The Heisman Trophy is meant to be awarded to the best collegiate football player but it be construed as the best collegiate player on the best team.

People are looking at Tebow, Ingram, and McCoy are being the front runners to win the Heisman. If I had a vote, I would give to Gerhart of Stanford. He has consistently been the best player this season. He leads the FBS in rushing with 1736 yards and rushing touchdowns with 26. What may work against him is where he plays and the lack of national attention compared to Tebow or McCoy. You can say that winning the Heisman nowadays depends on where you at instead of how good you are. McCoy and Tebow haven't had the greatest of season but it's a guarantee that they will get their share of votes based on where they are from.

So do you believe the Heisman truly stands for the best collegiate player in football or does it depend on where you play at and the attention from the national media?

The one part of where they play may be true but Tebow is the heart and soul of the Gators. He has the heart of a champion and every time you need a first down on third and three you turn to Tebow. He obviously has flaws but he is the best player in the Nation. You take Tebow away in big games they lose. Look at las years Alabama game. He was fighting for every yard and was the main reason FLA won the National title.

Honestly, I view the Heisman trophy winner as the most valuable person to a team. Which is why I'd' vote Tebow. The award is complicated though because Gerhart is a beast but that's against competition that isn't equal to the competition Tebow or McCoy faces. So honestly I think the award is similar to an MVP Award...

The one part of where they play may be true but Tebow is the heart and soul of the Gators. He has the heart of a champion and every time you need a first down on third and three you turn to Tebow. He obviously has flaws but he is the best player in the Nation. You take Tebow away in big games they lose. Look at las years Alabama game. He was fighting for every yard and was the main reason FLA won the National title.

Honestly, I view the Heisman trophy winner as the most valuable person to a team. Which is why I'd' vote Tebow. The award is complicated though because Gerhart is a beast but that's against competition that isn't equal to the competition Tebow or McCoy faces. So honestly I think the award is similar to an MVP Award...

You look at the competition Tebow, McCoy, and Gerhart have played and I would say the edge goes to Gerhart. The tough games Tebow had to play were against Arkansas and Mississippi State and I think the SEC is terribly overrated but that's a discussion for another day. McCoy has played against Oklahoma State and Texas A&M and the Big 12 is severely down this year. Gerhart has performed great against Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, USC, and California. I believe the Pac-10 has been the best conference all year and Gerhart being able to put up those kinds of performances is worthy of a Heisman. I'm not saying Tebow doesn't deserve to win it. I just don't think he has been the best player in college football this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back