• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heisman Race

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
With the college football season coming to a close I figured we should take a look at the Heisman race and see who the front runners are.

1. Cam Newton- If it weren't for the recent reports of his alleged cash solicitation during his recruitment last year then he would be close to a lock. However, with the recent Reggie Bush scandal voters may stray away from newton because they don't want the Heisman to once again be tainted. As far as his season goes Newton is easily the favorite and his total stats are really unmatched. It helps that Auburn is currently undefeated and in the National Title hunt.

2. Kellen Moore- Moore is the leader of the undefeated dark horse Boise State. He's on pace for close to 3,500 yards passing and over 30 td's. He has also been very accurate completing about 72% of his passes and throwing just 4 interceptions.

3. LaMichael James- Oregon is another undefeated team and their best player is running back LaMichael James. He's on pace for around 1,700 yards rushing and 20 tds. He is also averaging a ridiculous 6.3 yards per carry.

4. Andrew Luck- The most NFL ready qb has been great for the one loss Stanford Cardinals. He is on pace for over 3,000 yards and 26 tds, and he has also completed just shy of 70% of his passes and only thrown 7 picks. He has had a decent year running the ball as well.

5. Justin Blackmon- Most aren't familiar with Blackmon but he is a sophomore receiver for Oklahoma State and he is having a great season. He has had at least 5 catches, 125 yards receiving, and 1 touchdown in every single game he has played in this season for the one loss Cowboys. He is on pace for over 100 catches, 1700 yards receiving, and around 20 td's, and that is with him missing one game.

So who ya got as the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy? Anyone in my top 5 that you'd like to replace?

I agree with your top 5, and I too have Cam Newton winning it, as long as none of the reports are true. What I'm hearing a lot of Heisman voters say is, that until these reports are proven, they can't let that affect their votes. Problem is, just the thought of him possibly be ineligible is worrying some Heisman voters. This isn't about stats and how well he has played. There is no question his play on the field should win him the Heisman. But these reports are troublesome. I believe innocent until proven guilty, therefore, I can't pick against Newton. If these alligations are proven true, then I'll change my vote. Until then, Newton for Heisman.

Newton seems to be the favorite in the race, but I think these recent allegations might be held against him and I also have a feeling that Auburn is gonna suffer a loss here in the coming weeks. So with that said I think it comes down to James and Moore. I can't recall a mid-conference school winning the Heisman in recent years nor has one ever made it to the National Championship, but things will change this year as I think Boise State accomplishes both. With Auburn losing I think Boise would leapfrog TCU and take on Oregon in the title game and Kellen Moore goes on to win the Heisman.

Another name to watch out for is Andy Dalton. His numbers aren't mindblowing, but he is the leader of the undefeated Horn Frogs and that will probably garner him some votes.

I agree with Newton being the lead in the race right now despite the controversy. However, if Auburn loses to Bama then he'll be just an afterthought. It will then be a race b/w James and Moore which I see Moore winning. Like Theo said, Boise State will have the Heisman winner while going to the National Championship game.

I agree with Newton being the lead in the race right now despite the controversy. However, if Auburn loses to Bama then he'll be just an afterthought. It will then be a race b/w James and Moore which I see Moore winning. Like Theo said, Boise State will have the Heisman winner while going to the National Championship game.

I don't agree with that at all. A Heisman winner doesn't have to have his team go undefeated, though it does help. Newton has been far superior and far more important to his team then LaMichael James and Kellen Moore have been to their respective teams. Auburn was ranked 22nd in the AP poll at the start of the year and Newton is the ONLY reason they are at where they are now.

I don't agree with that at all. A Heisman winner doesn't have to have his team go undefeated, though it does help. Newton has been far superior and far more important to his team then LaMichael James and Kellen Moore have been to their respective teams. Auburn was ranked 22nd in the AP poll at the start of the year and Newton is the ONLY reason they are at where they are now.

That may be the case with him leading his team to their victories, but with this controversy tied into his season. It seems he has to go undefeated. If this pay for play issue isn't solved in the next few weeks then Newton has no chance if he loses to Bama.

Cam Newton should run away with this. Until the allegations are proven to be true, which they haven't been at all, they shouldn't really be taken into account. If that's the case, then it's not really close at all, he's had a ridiculous season. I agree with the rest of the top 5 though, probably not in the same order. I think I'd have James second ahead of Moore. Dalton also has a shot at getting the invite to New York, he's having a hell of a year.

That may be the case with him leading his team to their victories, but with this controversy tied into his season. It seems he has to go undefeated. If this pay for play issue isn't solved in the next few weeks then Newton has no chance if he loses to Bama.

No, undefeated is not necessary, even with the allegations. I think you will find that, as the rest of the season pans out, more and more voters who initally said they wouldn't vote for Newton because of these allegations, will vote for him. In the end, you can't punish someone for something that hasn't been proven true. How foolish would they be if these are untrue and they voted for someone else because they were worried about the "what if" factor. Newton has been far and away the best player in college, and will win it.

No, undefeated is not necessary, even with the allegations. I think you will find that, as the rest of the season pans out, more and more voters who initally said they wouldn't vote for Newton because of these allegations, will vote for him. In the end, you can't punish someone for something that hasn't been proven true. How foolish would they be if these are untrue and they voted for someone else because they were worried about the "what if" factor. Newton has been far and away the best player in college, and will win it.

I hope your right as I feel he does deserve it more than anybody. I still think after the whole Reggie Bush saga that voters are more conscious on how they decide who to vote for. I wish it wasn't like that especially if Newton had nothing to do with is father's actions. Yet, I think this may cost him the Heisman if Auburn loses to Bama.

I hope your right as I feel he does deserve it more than anybody. I still think after the whole Reggie Bush saga that voters are more conscious on how they decide who to vote for. I wish it wasn't like that especially if Newton had nothing to do with is father's actions. Yet, I think this may cost him the Heisman if Auburn loses to Bama.

The Bush thing doesn't help Newton for sure. But one thing that I believe is working for Newton is that the media doesn't seem to be jumping on Newton like maybe we might have expected. They seem to be on the stance that until he's proven guilty, he's innocent and the allegations shouldn't be factored into the Heisman voting. I think that helps out the cause.

i like your list its pretty much what i have for my top five as of now....but id take your number five and put in Denard Robinson....yes he is on a team bound to be 7-5 mediocre at best but he does have over 1500 yards rushing and over 2000 passing and most the season he had one the best passer efficiency in the country....again he's not on the best team in america but he is one the best players in the country

Passing stats: attempts comp % yards ypa long TD INT sacked
Candidate A: 198 135 68.2 2038 10.3 94 21 6 17
Candidate B: 232 147 63.4 2229 9.6 75 16 10 7

Rushing stats: attempts yards ypc long TD
Candidate A: 206 1297 6.3 71 17
Candidate B: 227 1538 6.8 87 14

Candidate A has a combined 38 TDs.
Candidate B has a combined 24.
Candidate B has both significantly more passing yards and more rushing yards. Candidate B also leads the nation in rushing, and is a QB, not a RB.
Candidate B is the ONLY QB to ever rush for more than 1,500 yards.
Candidate A has 3,335 yards from scrimmage,
Candidate B has 3,777, more than 400 extra yards.
Candidate A is one of the frontrunners, Candidate B isn't even in the conversation.

Look, I am not suggesting that Cam Newton's stats, taken by themselves, aren't great. 38 combined TDs is 38 combined TDs. However, Denard Robinson is the most prolific runner from the QB position in the history of NCAA football, AND has over 400 extra yards on Newton, the equivalent of an entire game, despite missing the equivalent of a full game so far this year in injuries. Why did he get dropped from the conversation exactly? Because Michigan's defense is a piece of shit? I am not saying Denard should win the award, but he at least deserves to be in the conversation...and right now he isn't. Even though as soon as the pre-season articles start coming out next year, he is guaranteed to be the initial favorite to win.

The Heisman has almost always been an award where stats are combined with a teams record. If Michigan doesn't go undefeated in 1997 then there is no way Charles Woodson wins the Heisman. I love Denard Robinson and am a huge Michigan and while I think he at least deserves an invite I just don't see it happening which is why I left him off my list. Realistically he deserves to probably be number 4 and I'd take Andrew Luck off the list.

Three things really hurt Denard.

1. The team he's on is just above average
2. He does have a few too many turnovers
3. A lot of his best stats came earlier in the season against inferior competition and against the weaker conference teams. Michigan's three toughest games were against MSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin. He was below average against MSU, ok but not spectacular against Iowa, and while he was very good against Wisconsin that performance came one week after possibly his worst game of the year against a bad Purdue team.

but couldn't the same be said about the others as well? Of those candidates, who among them played a tough non-conference schedule? Who hasn't padded their stats against inferior opponents? All Denard has to do is have a below average but not shitty game against Ohio State, and he will have 4,000 yards from scrimmage in the equivalent of 11 games instead of 12. That is significant, regardless of who Michigan has and hasn't played. Just saying he deserves a plane ticket to New York.

but couldn't the same be said about the others as well? Of those candidates, who among them played a tough non-conference schedule? Who hasn't padded their stats against inferior opponents? All Denard has to do is have a below average but not shitty game against Ohio State, and he will have 4,000 yards from scrimmage in the equivalent of 11 games instead of 12. That is significant, regardless of who Michigan has and hasn't played. Just saying he deserves a plane ticket to New York.

I'm saying that the other top guys have put up some of their best numbers in big games. Cam Newton had some of his best games against teams like South Carolina, LSU, and Arkansas. LaMichael James put up 200 plus yards and 3 tds against Stanford and USC. I do agree however that Denard deserves a plane ticket.

Paul Hornung did win the heisman on a losing a team so team record in a way shouldnt matter but your right it does. Its unfortunate that Michigan has maybe the worst defense in America. If they had an ok defense and were maybe 9-3 or 10-2 he'd give cam newton some competition...but after todays performance against Bama...No one will take that heisman away from Cam Newton!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back