The Green Lantern

I wonder how they would do Hal Jordan as Parallex and him fight Kyle Rayner???

25% on the tomato meter. Won't be seeing that.

so you only see movie based on other peoples opinions, rather than go and form one of your own, must be nice being a sheep and just blending in with the rest of the mindless drones in the flock...

I'm all for bucking the system and that, but not going to see a movie that 75% of critics thought was bad seems more of a timesaver than anything.

It's more of a decision based on that type of movie. If most didn't like it, and i'm not a huge fan of the genre of film, I won't see it. If it was supposedly very good, i'd probably watch it. 62% isn't a number I want to see and neither is 25%.

okay, well you can rely on Rotten Tomatoes all you like, but I don't listen to any website that gave Spiderman 3 a 63%. Hell no. That movie killed the series to the point they have to reboot it.

okay, well you can rely on Rotten Tomatoes all you like, but I don't listen to any website that gave Spiderman 3 a 63%. Hell no. That movie killed the series to the point they have to reboot it.

Top critics, which is the more reliable number, have it down at 40%.

so you only see movie based on other peoples opinions, rather than go and form one of your own, must be nice being a sheep and just blending in with the rest of the mindless drones in the flock...

Critics are professional movie-goers whose entire job is to decipher which movies are worth seeing, and which movies are not worth seeing. When your car is having problems, do you take it to a mechanic and take their word for it, or you do you perform your own diagnostic on the car? At some point everyone has to rely on other people for services, or rely on their opinions, because you can't do it all yourself. It's perfectly reasonable to manage your leisure time entertainment on the recommendations of professionals.

Regardless of any of that though, I haven't seen the film, but it has a 25% from all critics, and 15% from top critics. It would have to be an incredibly polarizing film for it to be rated so poorly by so many if it was, in fact, actually quite good.

Critics are professional movie-goers whose entire job is to decipher which movies are worth seeing, and which movies are not worth seeing. When your car is having problems, do you take it to a mechanic and take their word for it, or you do you perform your own diagnostic on the car? At some point everyone has to rely on other people for services, or rely on their opinions, because you can't do it all yourself. It's perfectly reasonable to manage your leisure time entertainment on the recommendations of professionals.

Regardless of any of that though, I haven't seen the film, but it has a 25% from all critics, and 15% from top critics. It would have to be an incredibly polarizing film for it to be rated so poorly by so many if it was, in fact, actually quite good.

lol. Except "Art" is opinionated. I don't think there's an opinion on whether theirs a nail in your tire or not.

Critics are professional movie-goers whose entire job is to decipher which movies are worth seeing, and which movies are not worth seeing
In their opinion though. I mean, do you ALWAYS agree with critics? I know I don't. For example, Beerfest only got 39%. Now as a beer drinker, I found the movie quite funny, where as I saw the humor in Pineapple Express, but it didn't wow me like it did others. Not a weed smoker, so it didn't appeal to me as much. Movies are opinion based. You may have a way different style of movie you prefer to what the critics like. Jay and Silent Bob only got 53%. Now in no place should Jay and Silent Bob get a worse rating than Chasing Amy. I love Kevin Smith movies, but JASB was more enjoyable for me than Chasing Amy.

When your car is having problems, do you take it to a mechanic and take their word for it, or you do you perform your own diagnostic on the car?
Most people probably take it in, I do mine myself.

At some point everyone has to rely on other people for services, or rely on their opinions, because you can't do it all yourself. It's perfectly reasonable to manage your leisure time entertainment on the recommendations of professionals.
I don't rely on others to tell me whats good and whats not. Very rarely do I agree with everything people say. Some movies that were supposed to be great, bored me to death. Movies are a subject where people should say their own opinion, not rely on others to tell them what they think about it.

:lmao: "professional movie goers", I'm sorry after that I knew the rest of your post was going to be filled with ridiculous bullshit.... & I was right

btw their job is not to "decipher which movies are worth seeing and which movies are not" the job is to watch movies, and then write up their personal opinion, which often times is incredibly jaded, prolly due to the fact that they have to literally watch hundreds of movies a week, personally I'd rather make up my own mind on whether or not the movie was worth seeing or not

Also the comparison of critics to mechanics is just ridiculous, the two professions have nothing in common what so ever, by any stretch of imagination, what a critic shares with you is entirely based on opinion, what a mechanic shares is more than likely based on fact, assuming they aren't trying to fuck you over

Even though, according to that same site, 62% of the audience liked it?

Especially because of that. My views often line up with critics but rarely with the audience at large. These are the same people that help Lady Gaga top the charts and keep The Simpsons alive. Fuck them.

Hawkeye said:
I'm just not understanding why people thought this movie was bad. Explain please.

I'll explain when I see it tomorrow night. Well, unless it turns out to be another Iron Man 2 - i.e. I like it a surprising amount.

In their opinion though. I mean, do you ALWAYS agree with critics? I know I don't. For example, Beerfest only got 39%. Now as a beer drinker, I found the movie quite funny, where as I saw the humor in Pineapple Express, but it didn't wow me like it did others. Not a weed smoker, so it didn't appeal to me as much. Movies are opinion based. You may have a way different style of movie you prefer to what the critics like. Jay and Silent Bob only got 53%. Now in no place should Jay and Silent Bob get a worse rating than Chasing Amy. I love Kevin Smith movies, but JASB was more enjoyable for me than Chasing Amy.

I disagree with critics plenty, but I rarely disagree with the majority of critics. Some of my favorite movies have critics who didn't like them, and there's rarely a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes, which means at least one critic thought it was rotten.

I don't rely on others to tell me whats good and whats not. Very rarely do I agree with everything people say. Some movies that were supposed to be great, bored me to death. Movies are a subject where people should say their own opinion, not rely on others to tell them what they think about it.

You never rely on others to tell you what's good and what isn't? I'm not suggesting you always listen to what the critics have to say about a movie, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to rely on the general consensus if you're on the fence about seeing something.

:btw their job is not to "decipher which movies are worth seeing and which movies are not" the job is to watch movies, and then write up their personal opinion, which often times is incredibly jaded, prolly due to the fact that they have to literally watch hundreds of movies a week, personally I'd rather make up my own mind on whether or not the movie was worth seeing or not

And why do they write their opinions? They write their opinions on a movie because people will read what they have written and decide whether or not they want to go see that movie - that's the entire purpose of the review. Why do video game websites review video games? So people can read a credible person's evaluation and then make a judgement about the reviewed product.

You're splitting hairs with my definition. It's like if I said, "A mechanic's job is to fix your car", and then you said, "No, a mechanic's job is to evaluate what's wrong with it" - to which I would reply, yes, with the purpose of using that evaluation to fix it!

Also the comparison of critics to mechanics is just ridiculous, the two professions have nothing in common what so ever, by any stretch of imagination, what a critic shares with you is entirely based on opinion, what a mechanic shares is more than likely based on fact, assuming they aren't trying to fuck you over

The similarity is relying on a professional opinion. The degree to which that opinion is based more on facts or more on opinion is missing the general point I was getting at.

I'm so over comic book movies. If the GL mythology wasn't attached to it giving fanboys a reason to give their boner a boner, who would really give this film a second look? Same with Thor. As movies, they strike me as ordinary in every single way. And unlike the fanboys, I need more than that to *********e.

Thor was good.

I'm not a very big Green Lantern fan, the most I've seen of the character was when I was a child and used to watch Justice League on Cartoon Network and until I heard about Ryan Reynolds being in this movie as the Green Lantern, I didn't know who Hal Jordan was and always thought that the Green Lantern's character was black.

Is the film worth watching if you don't know much about Green Lantern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back